Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Discussion

Will Guide

I knew it's been a week since the announcement but I wanted to make a topic where we can discuss the stuff featured in Super Mario 35th anniversary.

What upcoming stuff in this video are you looking forward to? Do you have any fond memories of playing these games in the past? What do you think of the new ideas like Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit and the special Super Mario 35 Vs. as I call that one where you play against 34 other players?

How about some of the Mario themed merchandise that'll be coming out, or Mario themed items coming to Animal Crossing New Horizons

Don't forget to check out Eren's topic on Super Mario 3D World+ coming next year

Super Mario 35 vs sounds fun, but I ain’t paying for an online subscription just for it. Mario Kart Live is not something that enthusiasm me either. Mario All Stars 3D and Mario 3D Land on the other hand :mlp_icwudt:....

the first: it’s nice to have said games included. I’ve heard they’ve removed things that pissed hardcore fans off, but they are probably technical twerks I won’t even notice :D. I had an itch in playing Sunshine for a while anyway, but since I don’t have access to my Game Cube :mlp_icwudt:...  No loss for me for the absence of Galaxy 2. I have that game anyway :eww:

3D Land: that appears one of the very few things worthwhile on the WIIU. I wasn’t going to buy it just for that game anyway, so it’s nice it’s getting a well deserved chance for success in Nintendo Sandwich, new content or not :proud:. Definitely getting it for later :mlp_icwudt:

56 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

the first: it’s nice to have said games included. I’ve heard they’ve removed things that pissed hardcore fans off, but they are probably technical twerks I won’t even notice 

I don't mind the change of Mario's "So Long, King Bowser" which many people thought he was saying "so long, gay Bowser" to simply "Bye Bye"

As a kid I always thought he said "So long dear Bowser"

But at least in Super Mario Sunshine I'm still able to run and spray water as well as stand and aim. So worth it

I can't help but feel disappointed. The 35th anniversary of arguably the most important video game icon of all time and Nintendo seems like they are half-assing it, especially with 3D all stars. The fact that Activision has been doing way more to update classics all while charging less for them is astounding. That's not even considering the terrible "limited availability" garbage that they are pulling, which simply feels exploitive. I will still try to get the collection at some point but only because I have no other option if I want these games on my Switch...

Everything else they've announced I simply couldn't possibly care less about. 

@Kyoshi

I can't agree with your disappointment. 

Screenshot_20200903-165650.thumb.png.2442d0b1e1e11edda01b0f4d658f08bd.png

Besides there's so many people who never had an opportunity to play some of these games so this would be a great time to experience them all on your Nintendo Switch

8 hours ago, Will Guide said:

@Kyoshi

Besides there's so many people who never had an opportunity to play some of these games so this would be a great time to experience them all on your Nintendo Switch

I know a kid who thought Nee Super Mario Bros was THE first Super Mario Bros :D

Most of my excitement is towards the 3D All-Stars collection. I only ever played a bit of Sunshine, so I'll finally be able to complete it. I played plenty of the other two, but it'll be nice to have them on Switch. I do wish that they updated the visuals in Super Mario 64 more and made it widescreen. It just looks even more jarring than the other two.

10 minutes ago, Cash In said:

Most of my excitement is towards the 3D All-Stars collection. I only ever played a bit of Sunshine, so I'll finally be able to complete it. I played plenty of the other two, but it'll be nice to have them on Switch. I do wish that they updated the visuals in Super Mario 64 more and made it widescreen. It just looks even more jarring than the other two.

Well they wanted to stay as true to the original graphics as possible. and there's a really good technical reason why they couldn't do what Super Mario 64. It was because of the technical limitations when they were making Super Mario 64 while Sunshine and Galaxy with made with better capabilities that they were able to make them widescreen

It wasn't the best direct I've seen from Nintendo as a lot of it was simply pandering to nostalgia. Also, certain announcements were expected such as Super Mario 3D World given how its original run was marred by a small user base. A shame that Super Mario 3D All-Stars wasn't given the kind of treatment seen with the Crash and Spyro trilogies respectively as that would've been instant success. Oh yeah, people are still annoyed with the fact that some of the content shown has a limited availability until March 2021 as of this typing. Then again, the whole thing did what it set out to do and that was to celebrate 35 years of Super Mario Brothers.

12 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

It wasn't the best direct I've seen from Nintendo as a lot of it was simply pandering to nostalgia. Also, certain announcements were expected such as Super Mario 3D World given how its original run was marred by a small user base. A shame that Super Mario 3D All-Stars wasn't given the kind of treatment seen with the Crash and Spyro trilogies respectively as that would've been instant success. Oh yeah, people are still annoyed with the fact that some of the content shown has a limited availability until March 2021 as of this typing. Then again, the whole thing did what it set out to do and that was to celebrate 35 years of Super Mario Brothers.

Yeah, the Crash and Spyro trilogies are remakes. Sadly, Nintendo knows they don't have to put in that kind of effort to sell, so that's almost all they ever produce - ports instead of remakes.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

A shame that Super Mario 3D All-Stars wasn't given the kind of treatment seen with the Crash and Spyro trilogies respectively as that would've been instant success. 

well they wanted to make sure that the Super Mario 3D games retain their original look.

3 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Then again, the whole thing did what it set out to do and that was to celebrate 35 years of Super Mario Brothers.

Of course it's an anniversary of many years of Nintendo's mascot. That's why they were focusing on most of the games of the past that can now be played on the Nintendo Switch today for those who never had a chance to play them.

Plus the announcement give me excuse to go back and look at all the Mario related games that are available on the Switch. There's still some Mario games I haven't fully completed yet like Mario Tennis Aces and Mario+Rabbids

6 hours ago, Envy said:

Yeah, the Crash and Spyro trilogies are remakes. Sadly, Nintendo knows they don't have to put in that kind of effort to sell, so that's almost all they ever produce - ports instead of remakes.

They have done some remakes in the past though not as often as they should. Still, you're right when you say that Nintendo doesn't have to put in much effort, but then this has been a thing of theirs on certain fronts for decades.

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Of course it's an anniversary of many years of Nintendo's mascot. That's why they were focusing on most of the games of the past that can now be played on the Nintendo Switch today for those who never had a chance to play them.

It's the anniversary of Super Mario Brothers. As an individual character, Mario celebrates 40 years next year alongside Donkey Kong, or would that be Cranky Kong given that he was the original Kong and not the current one.

13 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

It's the anniversary of Super Mario Brothers. As an individual character, Mario celebrates 40 years next year alongside Donkey Kong, or would that be Cranky Kong given that he was the original Kong and not the current one.

Why do you feel like you have to correct me about this?

Whether it's 35 or 40, Mario has been in a wonderful variety of games

21 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Well they wanted to stay as true to the original graphics as possible. and there's a really good technical reason why they couldn't do what Super Mario 64. It was because of the technical limitations when they were making Super Mario 64 while Sunshine and Galaxy with made with better capabilities that they were able to make them widescreen

That could be true, but if they went out of their way to fix very minor things, I feel that they definitely could've taken a step further. It didn't stop them when the original Super Mario All-Stars came out in 1993. It's just a nitpick really, but I feel that it was a missed opportunity.

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

HERE WE GO!!!

It's here and I'm ready to play. I think I'll start by playing through one star each game to get a feel for the controls.

I’ll have to wait, as I’ve asked to be delivered in order to not pay delivery expenses. I’m too much of a cheap:Dskate 

16 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Why do you feel like you have to correct me about this?

Whether it's 35 or 40, Mario has been in a wonderful variety of games

Correcting people is something that I do sometimes though with no ill intentions. Anyway, I agree that Mario has been in so many fantastic games over the decades. On another note, I am curious as to how your experience with the collection will go. Have fun with it.

On 9/16/2020 at 7:35 PM, Will Guide said:

@Kyoshi

Wait...is that it? Thats all the games they will feature? Really?

So they decided to only include games that were always widely available anyway and dont include a single obscure one? What is even the point in this anymore?

This collection adds nothing but making people buy the same games over and over again and missed opportunity after missed opportunity to release a more complete collection to introduce people to rare or japan only releases. Completely uninteresting release to me, i gonna ignore that one.

Also i can play Super Mario Bros on a game and watch now? AND? What will that give me? Oh my god this is terrible...sorry i am not going to buy the same game for all eternity.

I know there are some people are disappointed that Nintendo's not offering a lot of new Mario Games for Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary. But consider the fact that because of Covid-19, so many people were laid off for a while that obviously they're not going to be able to put in their best work in such a short amount of time. and don't forget there's still some minor Mario themed items that will be released to other games such as in Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing New Horizons

28 minutes ago, Lex Destrosio said:

Wait...is that it? Thats all the games they will feature? Really?

So they decided to only include games that were always widely available anyway and dont include a single obscure one? What is even the point in this anymore?

This collection adds nothing but making people buy the same games over and over again and missed opportunity after missed opportunity to release a more complete collection to introduce people to rare or japan only releases. Completely uninteresting release to me, i gonna ignore that one.

Also i can play Super Mario Bros on a game and watch now? AND? What will that give me? Oh my god this is terrible...sorry i am not going to buy the same game for all eternity.

Yeah... The Super Mario Bros on G&W announcement was silly. They've rereleased Super Mario Bros. a hundred thousand times by now. Who hasn't had their fill with the game yet?

I'm having fun with Super Mario 3D All Stars, but I'm trying to keep myself in moderation. Could take me the rest of the October to 100% all 3 games. Because at the end of October Pikmin 3 Deluxe will be ready for me

Just cleared the sandbird level of Super Mario Sunshine. It only took me 2 tries and I failed the first time because I got stranded on a cloud trying to get a blue coin. 

After over 10 years, I say I still got the edge