Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

food How Do You Get Your Groceries And Where Do You Buy Them?

EpicEnergy

How do you get your groceries? Do you order them online and pick them up, or do you go into the store to get them? And what store do you go to buy groceries?

I don't usually get my groceries, as my mom gets them for me. She used to go into the store to buy them, but ever since the coronavirus pandemic she orders them online and then picks them up. The store she normally goes to is Walmart.

• Brohoof 1

Even with the pandemic going on right now, I've mostly been getting my groceries in-store since Food Basics doesn't have an ordering option to pick up.  Though with bulk items that I get from Bulk Barn, I normally order those but this past month I went in-store instead since there were a few mistakes with my last order.

Edit: Guess I should add onto this, I typically walk to the grocery stores I shop at.  I have a shopping cart that I bring along with me to carry my groceries since in the past, I was miserable carrying all those bags and my arms would always hurt or there'd be circulation issues in my fingers from the bags weighing them down and cutting off circulation.  I'm glad I invested in a shopping cart though, makes walking to and from the grocery store a lot easier on me, especially when I have to buy flour, I don't even want to imagine how much it would suck carrying all of my groceries AND a 10 kg bag of flour with me all in my two noodle muscle arms lmao...  I guess I could've called for a taxi but those are too expensive around here.

Edited by Thuja
Forgot to add stuff

In person. Mostly at Safeway and Costco. Walmart if it's what closes, but life has been busy and often hectic so we've mostly been getting already prepared food and do either curbside or delivery every now and then. Hoping this winter gives me the opportunity to get back into cooking.

I buy them online because I don't have a car or one of those e-bikes, and for some stupid reason, Instacart won't accept my card. There's a small Japanese market that sells about everything I need compared to HMart, so that's a silver lining.  

I go to Walmart and pick out what I need. Don't really want to bother with trying to set up pickups, especially since I normally walk into the store with only a partial shopping list and a vague idea of what I want.

I might actually start going to Kroger instead, considering there's one right down the road from my house, and Walmart is almost a fifteen minute ride. I'm just not sure how the prices compare at the two stores. Gas price is a nonfactor (my moped gets somewhere around 80 mpg), so the longer ride is mostly just a convenience thing. Plus the extra weight from groceries really makes it tough to get up hills.

Edited by 000-00-00-00
  • Brohoof 1

The same way I have always done it - drive to the market and shop, just with my mask on. I wouldn't have it any other way unless zombies or a nuclear winter broke out.

BJ's is where I get cold cuts, sandwich rolls, milk and some fruits and vegetables. I go to Shop-Rite for the rest. On occasion, I go to Stew Leonard's.

Edited by Yoshi89

I shop at the stores, assuming I have a way there. There's nothing in my town so out of town is the phrase of every day for stuff like this and I have to go with someone else, wouldn't have a way otherwise. I tend to go to one of 3 places: Walmart if I want to mega stock up (gotta go out of county for that), JayC Food Store (An Indiana food market chain, they can have some amazing deals) and for smaller amounts of stuff, Dollar General. 

I don’t have a car either so it really depends how I’m feeling. If I have lots of energy I walk to Giant and get them, if I have a bit less energy I walk to Whole Foods since it’s closer (but I avoid doing this too much since it’s so expensive), if I have no energy I order them online to be delivered from Giant. But that’s also not a great option since it’s also expensive and sometimes they give me the wrong product/forget a certain product.

Now that I’m working at Target I will buy some things there after my shift. It’s also in walking distance but I used to avoid it since the way there is uphill :P 

• 1 year later...

I get one big order every week from an online grocery store, and then will walk to a nearby smaller shop for any extras that I've missed out or to replenish anything else that I might need. On rare occasions I drive to a fancier store to buy stuff in person, but that probably only happens once or twice a month

• 4 months later...

Mine have been a mix of online and in stores. People are still obsessively buying up stock on certain things where I live so I’ve been having to order certain things online 

• Brohoof 1