Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Are you against Tom Cruise (as an actor and person) because of his Scientologist connections?

PCutter

I only heard of him superficially, that he was in the MI films (and I haven't watched them). Other than that he's a total stranger to me. 

We all know the story: You hate someone for being Christian/Asian/black/atheist/gay/bi/vegan/etc.? Then you deserve to be called out and punished for it.

But for Tom Cruise, I had no idea he was affiliated with Scientology. And I had no idea of what this group was.

Some things I picked up about it is:

1) It sounds like a religion but isn't considered to be truly one. It's actually more of a cult group.

2) You are a considered a member by the simple act of paying them money, instead of years of experience and studying and whatnot

3) Forcing you to completely throw away all the people in your life for the sake of belonging to the church.

4) Brainwashing you

5) Harassing and violently attacking all non-Scientologists

6) Cases of fraud, extortion and possibly human trafficking

And the worst part is, respect is one-way. Non-Scientologists are forced to tolerate them for the sake of civility and respect, while they get to terrorize others.

Anyway, does Tom Cruise deserve being hated because he chooses to associate with dubious and possibly dangerous people?

Edited by PCutter

1) It sounds like a religion but isn't considered to be truly one. It's actually more of a cult group.

The only differences between a cult and a religion are age and number of members.  Scientology has already survived the death of its founder which is an important milestone, and their membership seems to be generally on the increase.

2) You are a considered a member by the simple act of paying them money, instead of years of experience and studying and whatnot

Some religions consider you a member simply by being born.  Having to pay money is actually a more positive commitment than many other religions ask of you.

3) Forcing you to completely throw away all the people in your life for the sake of belonging to the church.

Other religions are guilty of this as well.

4) Brainwashing you

This is again very much in the wheelhouse of most religions.

5) Harassing and violently attacking all non-Scientologists

I'm sure I don't need to highlight the number of religious conflicts taking place all over the world right now.

6) Cases of fraud, extortion and possibly human trafficking

Yep, Scientology is definitely ticking all of the boxes of a legitimate religion.

And the worst part is, respect is one-way. Non-Scientologists are forced to tolerate them for the sake of civility and respect, while they get to terrorize others.

Try being a Christian in certain Predominantly Muslim countries.

There are many reasons to dislike Tom Cruise, and his connection with Scientology is probably as good a one as any, but do you know what isn't?  Tropic Thunder!

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

Scientology is super interesting from a sociologic viewpoint. They work in a sect-like way but also copy some practices from christianity and catholicism regarding merchant practices (giving money to the church IS good and virtuous, and in some instances is part of a religious duty).

On the other hoof, scientology requires you to pay to know more. Is like a pay-to-win religion, just like christianity and its derivatives!

• Brohoof 3

I can separate the artist from their art, and that applies to actors as well.

He stars in one of my favorite movies of all time, "Valkyrie", and they were filming around the peak of his insanity and openess about scientology in Germany, which has outlaws it or something, and as a result of his actions I don't think they were able to finish filming there.

I'm pretty sure he's since learned his lesson that he has to keep his beliefs and work separate because no one will hire him otherwise.

I'll continue to enjoy his work past, future and present regardless of my disagreements with the man himself.

• Brohoof 1

I've known about Tom Cruise being a Scientologist since I was 12 thanks to the South Park episode. That South Park episode in question, though not one of the show's best, is spot-on about Scientology. It's a scam. Don't dislike Tom Cruise for being part of a sham religion though. I dislike him for being, like many celebrities, a donkey's rear. :maud:

• Brohoof 4

I don't like Scientology, however, I separate the private life of a person from his work.

Let's say I really like some singer and then find out he is a serial killer. I would still listen to his records. In general, I am not interested in the private lives of famous people. 

So, no, it does not matter to me if Tom Cruise is Scientologist or not.

• Brohoof 3

I like him as a actor and don't care much about his belief or his personal life. As long he's not doing any harm then he's okay in my book. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an actor, he's fine. He isn't my favorite, but neither do I consider him a bad actor by any means. As a person...my thoughts on his beliefs aren't very positive, and under site rules I'm going to leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think he’s a band person for being part of it but I don’t protest him by avoiding his movies.

If I looked at the personal life of anyone from Hollywood I’d likely find something to dislike or even hate, but when I go to the movies I’m not there because of their biography. I go to escape such things and forget about the world. As long as they keep their personal business out of the picture I don’t have to care about it. Unfortunately Hollywood pollutes almost everything they make nowadays with their personal proclivities, which is bad art and does their own box office no favors. Whatever Tom Cruise is into in his personal life holds no interest for me, but I do tend to enjoy his movies more often than not because he doesn’t saturate them with personal statements. He makes entertaining movies and has star quality which is something I can’t say about many actors out there anymore. I’m not interested in what goes on in his personal life. 

Just read your explanation about scientology.....again what? Isn't what you just said worst than terrorists? I mean terrorists have a goal and cause, and their actions are done in the wrong way possible.... What is scientologist goals?.... Science?

• 6 months later...

I judge people by their actions. He can believe religiously what he wants. If he was convicted of a horrible crime then yeah I’d totally be against him.

I love Days of Thunder and Interview with a Vampire too much to write him off for somehing like this.