Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Really Grinds Your Gears

Justin_Case001

What grinds my gears:

• Web sites (other than banks and other sites where security is really important) that log me out because of inactivity and the inactivity time is quite short (minutes to hours). It seems that I keep logging back in all the time.
  • Steam dropping Windows 7 support. This means that I will not be able to play the games that I bought on the computer that I played them on before (without dual booting another OS or something). Unless I crack the game I bought. Yeah. My opinion about Steam went down quite a bit because of this.
  • Music releases recorded so loud that the signal goes into clipping. WHY?
  • Copy protection that makes a legally bought game run worse than a cracked one. You know, it used to be that the decision to buy vs pirate was this - buying meant spending money, but you get a game that runs without any fuss, no risk of getting malware. Pirating meant not paying money, but possibly having to look for a working crack, risking getting malware. But now a legit game can have malware, run worse than the pirated one and costs money. Yeah... Considering the point about Steam - I am not going to have problem playing all my pirated games on Windows 7 in 2024...
  • Apps. I hate both of the popular phone operating systems and, as such, use an older phone. I really hate it when a restaurant or a shop wants me to use an app. WHY? What's the point of it?
  • Internet of Things. There are quite a few devices that can be remotely controlled over the network. Awesome, does it have a web UI? No. OK, a CLI over telnet or SSH? No. OK, maybe SNMP then? No. Well, I guess I need to use some kind of proprietary program from the manufacturer, right? Not exactly. 
    See, the device cannot be directly controlled over the network. It has to connect to "the cloud" (manufacturers server) first, then I have to create an account on that server and only then I can control the device, in the best case, by logging into the server from a browser and at worst using an app (see point above). The manufacturer could shut the server down at any time and I would be left without the ability to control my device. WHY? Just give me web UI, telnet, SSH or SNMP so I can locally control it without the data going home->some foreign country->home. If the device needs a server, OK, I can run it myself, like I do with Ubiquiti UniFi - that company has it right (at least for now). 
  • Ads. Oh, I hate ads so much. Thankfully, adblock exists for the web and a VCR exists for TV. For some reason I do not annoyed as much with commercials on the radio, maybe because I mostly listen to radio as background.
  • Companies that use Facebook as their main website. Really now? You know FB really does not like it when someone does not have an account but is trying to open the "site"? So why do it like that?

4 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

What grinds my gears:

• Web sites (other than banks and other sites where security is really important) that log me out because of inactivity and the inactivity time is quite short (minutes to hours). It seems that I keep logging back in all the time.
  • Steam dropping Windows 7 support. This means that I will not be able to play the games that I bought on the computer that I played them on before (without dual booting another OS or something). Unless I crack the game I bought. Yeah. My opinion about Steam went down quite a bit because of this.
  • Music releases recorded so loud that the signal goes into clipping. WHY?
  • Copy protection that makes a legally bought game run worse than a cracked one. You know, it used to be that the decision to buy vs pirate was this - buying meant spending money, but you get a game that runs without any fuss, no risk of getting malware. Pirating meant not paying money, but possibly having to look for a working crack, risking getting malware. But now a legit game can have malware, run worse than the pirated one and costs money. Yeah... Considering the point about Steam - I am not going to have problem playing all my pirated games on Windows 7 in 2024...
  • Apps. I hate both of the popular phone operating systems and, as such, use an older phone. I really hate it when a restaurant or a shop wants me to use an app. WHY? What's the point of it?
  • Internet of Things. There are quite a few devices that can be remotely controlled over the network. Awesome, does it have a web UI? No. OK, a CLI over telnet or SSH? No. OK, maybe SNMP then? No. Well, I guess I need to use some kind of proprietary program from the manufacturer, right? Not exactly. 
    See, the device cannot be directly controlled over the network. It has to connect to "the cloud" (manufacturers server) first, then I have to create an account on that server and only then I can control the device, in the best case, by logging into the server from a browser and at worst using an app (see point above). The manufacturer could shut the server down at any time and I would be left without the ability to control my device. WHY? Just give me web UI, telnet, SSH or SNMP so I can locally control it without the data going home->some foreign country->home. If the device needs a server, OK, I can run it myself, like I do with Ubiquiti UniFi - that company has it right (at least for now). 
  • Ads. Oh, I hate ads so much. Thankfully, adblock exists for the web and a VCR exists for TV. For some reason I do not annoyed as much with commercials on the radio, maybe because I mostly listen to radio as background.
  • Companies that use Facebook as their main website. Really now? You know FB really does not like it when someone does not have an account but is trying to open the "site"? So why do it like that?

This is the problems with the internet these days:

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Fluttershutter said:

This is the problems with the internet these days:

Cool video. What he is saying makes sense, though at least I don;t really care about tiktok or twitter, since I can just ignore both of them. 

• Brohoof 1

Given I work in retail: :Cozy:
-Screaming children and the parents DOING nothing about it and letting them scream.
-Explaining the same thing over and over to a person and them still not getting it.
-Rude ppl interactions when your helping other ppl and getting mad when you tell them to wait in a nice way
-PPL leaving their pets in hot cars with the window bearly down while they shop in AC for hours
-Coworkers just leaving and leaving you alone to deal with over like 5-10 ppl alone in dept.
-Coworkers on their cell phones and ignoring the customers and you when both need help
-Tiktok

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one:

When someone new discovers or does something that's been done many times by the veterans or professionals in a community or hobby and, when they share it with others, people look down on them condescendingly.

Seriously? They're happy and proud and want to share it. There's better ways to go about it than scoffing at them for being ignorant. Maybe it's because they're new is why they're ignorant. There's better ways to go about it than talking down at them. Everyone starts somewhere, and those vets were noobs at some point too.

Have seen countless times where it goes from someone being really ecstatic to a community calling them stupid, and that person leaving with frustration as a result and said community continuing to talk about them for the next few weeks. It's annoying.

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Tort Shuffle said:

Here's one:

When someone new discovers or does something that's been done many times by the veterans or professionals in a community or hobby and, when they share it with others, people look down on them condescendingly.

Seriously? They're happy and proud and want to share it. There's better ways to go about it than scoffing at them for being ignorant. Maybe it's because they're new is why they're ignorant. There's better ways to go about it than talking down at them. Everyone starts somewhere, and those vets were noobs at some point too.

Have seen countless times where it goes from someone being really ecstatic to a community calling them stupid, and that person leaving with frustration as a result and said community continuing to talk about them for the next few weeks. It's annoying.

Yep, yep. This happens a lot in some of the flight sim communities along with the usual gatekeeping and it seriously sucks. Communities don't grow and expand by being exclusive and pushing away new members. Excluding and talking down just means you keep the same old heads with the same views around forever instead of new folks with new ideas and new things to talk about.

• Brohoof 1

When you're watching a film or television show with others and they have the need to talk over the show when you're trying to concentrate or get immersed in what is happening. Worse when they start talking about the actors and start a full blown conversation about them. Then they have the audacity to be confused about what is happening in the show or film. Well perhaps if they were actually paying attention, they'd know! :Cozy:

• Brohoof 2

What kinda grinds my gears is My Little Pony Tell Your Tales and its confusing release schedule. :blink:

35 minutes ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

When you're watching a film or television show with others and they have the need to talk over the show when you're trying to concentrate or get immersed in what is happening. Worse when they start talking about the actors and start a full blown conversation about them. Then they have the audacity to be confused about what is happening in the show or film. Well perhaps if they were actually paying attention, they'd know! :Cozy:

Sometimes what you're watching is so ridiculous it deserves to be talked over. :maud:

• Brohoof 2

You know what really grinds my gears? When I post in a thread and NOBODY posts after me for a long time or even never, making me think that I killed the thread.  :Posey-grimace:

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, Woohoo said:

You know what really grinds my gears? When I post in a thread and NOBODY posts after me for a long time or even never, making me think that I killed the thread.  :Posey-grimace:

What grinds my gears is when I create a topic and interest is gone after the first day. :blush:

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Woohoo said:

That has happened to me so often – maybe not here, but on other forums. :sunny: At least here, old topics get revived a lot.

I guess the solution is to post in "Last Poster Wins" – you'll most likely not be the last one, and if you are, you win (something, I guess)! :adorkable:

• Brohoof 3

I don't like people who hound others with their limited knowledge and experience on something. And "but I'm having a discussion" is not a good excuse for that. If it's a discussion then stop trying to make the other person sound wrong on everything they say when they're not. Most of the time they're not even trying to argue a point, they're just saying something exists, or a process was done a certain way even though it's "technically" not correct, or whatever else and it doesn't represent their opinion or experiences. If it works or someone is happy with it and it doesn't actually hurt anyone then who actually cares???

Just cuz you learned it on TikTok doesn't make it the only way or only answer to something. On platforms such as those there's 2 things going on: making it as outrageous as possible so people spread it like wildfire (and "gaming the algorithm"), and the limited time to talk about something in one video. A lot of info does need to be cut out (either for time or shock value, it depends on who the content is being made by and how complicated that topic can be), so you should do your due diligence and not take everything there at face value. If it piques your interest, look into it further! It's probably a very cool rabbit hole! And, if you do end up learning more about whatever that is, remember to stay humble and respectful. No need to bite anyone who may get a detail or two wrong. It can be frustrating but it's better than getting into internet fist fights with someone.

Another thing: when someone goes somewhere, asks a question on "why do you like this even though this exists and is better?", and clear, sensible answers are given. Yet they feel the need to attack them for what they like. I think the term is "sealioning"? I hate that so much! If you feel the need to do that then you've lost whatever weird debate you're trying to stir up. Imagine if someone was doing that same thing to your interests. You probably wouldn't like that, so don't go around and do that just because you find the reactions "Funny". It won't be funny for you when you're on the receiving end of it.

The war-like stances people have with their music tastes is also way beyond me. Mind you I don't think I'm superior than others because I like to listen to a much wider array of music than others. I just don't get why we as a society need to judge each other so harshly for what we like to listen to. Just cuz you find a song, artist/band/group, genre, etc. more "creative" or "bangin" than another doesn't give you any excuse to hurt other people's feelings if they like something that's even slightly different than your music tastes.

It's understandable though if the person or people who made those songs isn't a good person, for instance if they steal songs literally bar for bar (way beyond typical sampling) or act very indecently and inconsiderately towards others in their personal and professional interactions. I'd be more concerned with that than what time signature or time period the song was released at. There's lots of people's music that I used to love but I can't really listen to it anymore when they end up being a terrible person and still getting money from those listens.

Even the record labels behind all of the marketing and distribution, I'd be way more worried about how they handle themselves and how they treat their creatives. The creatives are the ones MAKING the art, the businesses are the ones profiting off of it and saying it's the creative's faults for not working hard enough if the businesses are the ones who are being unfair to them. Have seen it time and time again in all creative industries and people are quick to blame the creatives for everything instead of looking closer at the executives who are pocketing money hand over fist for the work they never helped to make.

Just be mindful and respectful, please!

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

You know what really grinds my gears? Graffiti on trains!

Oh, I don't mind a little vandalism. And looking at some art while I'm stuck by a train sounds nice. But why is it always freaking illegible???

5 Freight Artists You Should Know (Part 1) | sprayplanet

Train Graffiti: How It Started & Why It's So Popular | Art Supply Guide

Clean Trains - 99% Invisible

WTF??? Make it so people can read it! :angry:

• Delighted Giggle 1

• 2 months later...

You know what really grinds my gears?

"Eight glasses of water a day" :scoots:

image.jpeg.c6c07d13c2f1c8c0c240641a1274967d.jpeg

eight glasses, eight glasses, you're always hearing this!!! :Posey-grimace: "Glass" is not a unit of measure! The glasses and bottles I drink out of are way more than they mean.

If you want an accurate statement you should drink two quarts or liters of water every day and more is even better(though it will make you pee a lot).

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

It really grinds my gears when people sit there crying saying "I'm not crying, you're crying! :("

What's that even supposed to mean??? :angry:

It’s a cheeky way of saying “no u.” Like if you ever dared to call one of us cute. That would be our instant counter. Cause its’s true. Deal with it. :secret:

What grinds my gears is when I’m trying to read and someone keeps talking to me. I even had a lady tell me, WHILE I WAS READING, “oh I know the feeling! I hate when I’m reading and someone is talking to me. [proceeds to go into a story about the HIGHLY IRONIC STORY] :okiedokieloki: “no way, lady, do tell me more. Let me stop reading to listen in.” >:0000

ok vent over rofl 

• Delighted Giggle 1
  • Hugs 1

30 minutes ago, Ice Princess Silky said:

It’s a cheeky way of saying “no u.” Like if you ever dared to call one of us cute. That would be our instant counter. Cause its’s true. Deal with it. :secret:

What grinds my gears is when I’m trying to read and someone keeps talking to me. I even had a lady tell me, WHILE I WAS READING, “oh I know the feeling! I hate when I’m reading and someone is talking to me. [proceeds to go into a story about the HIGHLY IRONIC STORY] :okiedokieloki: “no way, lady, do tell me more. Let me stop reading to listen in.” >:0000

ok vent over rofl 

What grinds my gears is getting vote kicked:lostit: out of matches and flashpoints in Star Wars:  The Old Republic.  Trying to fill up the platinum trophy meter with achievements and grind gaming for specialized currencies to buy better gear.  Getting very close to a flashpoint's ending and earning these currencies, I'm vote kicked out because they claim I'm a troll or a bot:Cozy: when I've not done any of the odd sort.  I was doing well enough in the "Assault on Tython" flashpoint, then the vote kick was in favor of the other 3 players in the group.  Vote kicked out of another flashpoint when I fell behind, was not skipping the cutscenes fast enough:scoota-sad: and to top it all off, another player claimed his need to bolt for the restroom.  I wonder if comeuppance eventually came to that guy.  Playing in Galactic Starfighter with my Sith Warrior OC and was vote kicked out of these matches 3 times for not interacting or dealing damage to enemy targets.  Haven't played the Starfighter matches for the entirety of 2023, nor even my 8-month span as a subscriber.  Surprised this never happened during the subscribers only operations.  

The right day for @Ice Princess Silky  and I to vent.  

• Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Ice Princess Silky said:

But cuteness is subjective. They're objectively sitting there crying in a video I'm watching. Even if I were crying there's no way they could know.

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Fluttershutter said:

But cuteness is subjective. They're objectively sitting there crying in a video I'm watching. Even if I were crying there's no way they could know.

I freakin love how your brain works. It’s very direct, honest and to the point. LOL even with my abstract sense of humor.. I have to salute you xD

whatever grinds my gears earlier is now diffused. Thank you for existing xD  

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

2 minutes ago, Ice Princess Silky said:

I freakin love how your brain works. It’s very direct, honest and to the point. LOL even with my abstract sense of humor.. I have to salute you xD

whatever grinds my gears earlier is now diffused. Thank you for existing xD  

Ponies salute to Malaysia - Mane 6 (No flag) by ...

• smile 1