Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How will you treat newcomers and rewatchers to the show?

PCutter

Treating newcomers and rewatchers  

24 users have voted

1. 1. How will you treat newcomers to the show?

• Chase them away. Tell them to never even think about watching it, taking up the elitsist stance that it's only for original fans only and that they'll never be welcome here or anywhere and/or that "it had the worst ending ever."
    • Welcome them, because it's in line with the show's message and that it's the right thing to do.

(edited)

The show's ended.

But what if after an eternity or whatever someone decides to watch it for the first time, or the first time in a long time?

How are you even going to treat them?

Welcome them or kick them out cruelly?

Edited by PCutter

• The title was changed to How will you treat newcomers and rewatchers to the show?

Well, I discovered MLP in Dec2020 and joined this place in Jan2021. I was welcomed with open arms hooves here. Many people befriended me and gave showed me a lot of the fandom and could answer my questions I had about it. I have a really good time here.

11 minutes ago, PCutter said:

How are you even going to treat them?

Welcome them or kick them out cruelly?

I would do the same as I've experienced myself when I joined here. Give them a warm an proper: Welcome, help and give them a good time. The more people inside the fandom the longer it will live and can create awesome stuff.

• Brohoof 2

"Skip S6 and watch S7 up to the Perfect Pear, then just watch the movie and 2 specials"

53 minutes ago, Megas said:

"Skip S6 and watch S7 up to the Perfect Pear, then just watch the movie and 2 specials"

My thoughts exactly.

I don’t know anypony who would say ‘Don’t watch it,’ unless they were anti-brony.

Whenever we get a newcomer, it’s very important to make them feel welcome and I try to be as welcoming as I can by becoming their friend right away. :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I don’t know anypony who would say ‘Don’t watch it,’ unless they were anti-brony.

Whenever we get a newcomer, it’s very important to make them feel welcome and I try to be as welcoming as I can by becoming their friend right away. :kindness:

I actually encourage new comers to not come here if they haven't finished watching the show...

On 2021-05-24 at 8:59 AM, EpicEnergy said:

I'd welcome them, it's not like being a fan of MLP is a club where you have to possess certain qualifications or something.

Last I checked that was never the case, especially with me.

• Brohoof 1

Um... I'd throw a banana cream pie in their face.

On 2021-05-23 at 5:59 PM, EpicEnergy said:

it's not like being a fan of MLP is a club where you have to possess certain qualifications or something.

Exactly.  So many people act like the fandom is a club that requires active participation and membership dues, and if you don't keep up then you need to turn in your MLP fan membership card forever and make some dramatic "leaving the fandom" announcement.  Really grinds my gears.  :baconmane:

• Brohoof 2

No one wants to be the newbie, so I'd always welcome them with open arms hooves. The more pony fans, the better and it's always fun to share something so beloved with someone just experiencing it for the first time. That's pure magic.  

(edited)
On 2021-05-27 at 8:02 PM, PCutter said:

Last I checked that was never the case, especially with me.

Meaning I was outright told I should not even be legally allowed to even think about getting a laptop or other electronic if it meant watching the oh so hated Season 6

On 2021-06-01 at 11:39 PM, Justin_Case001 said:

So many people act like the fandom is a club that requires active participation and membership dues, and if you don't keep up then you need to turn in your MLP fan membership card forever and make some dramatic "leaving the fandom" announcement.  Really grinds my gears.  :baconmane:

That's because they do indeed do that. I was already given the label of a seditious traitor.

Edited by PCutter

Well, if the new fan wants to know my opinion about the show, I'll tell him that I did not like the ending, but apparently a lot of people did, so what do I know? Also, that I liked the early seasons more than the later seasons.

It's just a TV show, nothing more. However, I guess I understand the mindset of some people who treat "the fandom" (whatever that is) as some kind of exclusive club. After all, they have to show everyone how cool they are or whatever.

• Brohoof 1

Of course welcome them :kindness:

The other option seems strange to me, as it would actively damage the thing you would try to protect in the first place. G4 and the Bronies were a unique culture that could only survive based on numbers (eventually it was popular because it was big, not because it was good). By trying to force new fans away from the show, that culture would quickly just fade away.

Needless to say, the FIM show doesn't need protection from fans. It can stand on its own, give new people entertainment and bring them into a new world. If that world is identified as the same one we currently live in, then cool! But if it is not, maybe we should rethink our own fandom.

• Brohoof 3

Treat them? I’d treat them with kindness. Not sure why a fan of a show would mistreat someone who wants to get into the same show.

• Brohoof 5

On 2021-06-06 at 12:35 PM, Splashee said:

The other option seems strange to me, as it would actively damage the thing you would try to protect in the first place.

It probably depends on a few things. While I would be happy if more people did the things I consider cool, there would probably be a time when I would consider someone "fake" or something like that. I can't think of any good examples for me right now, thoguh I am sure I would recognise it when I see it and get irritated. 

For example, if someone considers this show to be some life-changing experience, maybe he would be slightly irritated by me saying that it's just a TV show. One that I like and consider to be good, but just a TV show nonetheless.

• Brohoof 1

How will you treat newcomers to the show?

Welcome them, because it's in line with the show's message and that it's the right thing to do.

Bronies have varying tastes, and that’s okay. Bronydom isn’t some elitist club just for long-time oldies. Newcomers into G4, Pony Life (G4.5), and G5 are every bit a part of the fold. The more fans, the better.