Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Real life names for the Mane Six (and Spike)

Silverwisp the Bard

Here's what I ended up with, after some research, review, and other guff.

Twilight Sparkle - Tara Sarif

Named for her voice actress and David Sarif/Sarif Industries from Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thought it fit.

Fluttershy - Felicity Shays

Minor modification of a human Fluttershy name I heard somewhere else.

Rarity - Ramona Belle

I like that name, I really do. Ramona's just so... I'unno, regal, I suppose is the word.

Pinkie Pie - Penelope “Pinkie” Stone

Pinkamena isn't really a name you'd give anyone unless you're on some kind of class A drug, and I switched “Pie” for “Stone” for obvious reasons.

Rainbow Dash - Kimberly “Rainbow” Dangerfield

Kimberly is just a name that's been universally associated with a girl who kicks ass, and how could I not have ”Danger” in her name somewhere? The nickname's because of her hair, obvs.

Applejack - Jacquelyn “Applejack” Apple

Someone came up with this somewhere, and it's damn clever, so I kept it.

Spike - Newton Spike Sarif

”Newton” ‘cuz Twi's a nerd. That, and Newton sounds better on an adolescent than Francis.

Apple Bloom - Megan Apple

Got the first name from some guy at a different forum. Real country name.

Sweetie Belle - Sadie Belle

Sounds close enough to Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo - Beck Langdon

Scootaloo's a tomboy — or I like to think she is, rather — and what better name to give her than one that can swing both ways, eh?

Shining Armor - Adrian “Armor” Sarif

Since Shining's a pro with shield spells, I'd imagine him having that nickname among his soldiering pals. Adrian's a nice middle ground between laid-back and professional, at least in my opinion.

Princess Cadance - Cadenza “Cadance” Amore-Sarif

Didn't really take much thinking on this one, aside from her having two last names.

For Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Discord, Sombra, Tirek, Queen Chrysalis, and Thorax — I didn't really see a need to change their names; the first five are immortals and the last two are a different species entirely.

I couldn't be bothered with Starlight Glimmer after my fourth or fifth go at her. Best I came up with was Samantha-Lisbeth Goodmoone.

Edited by World's Gayest

Here are the names that come to mind when thinking of the Mane Six: 

Rarity: Diamond or Charity

Twilight: Destiny

Fluttershy: Emma or Angel 

Pinkie: Becky 

Rainbow Dash: Rex (short for Rebecca or something)

Apple Jack: Johanna (maybe she would prefer Jo as a cute southern nickname)

Twilight- Amanda. It suits her very much in my opinion like a cute and nerdy girl.

AppleJack- Jessy. Her name brings thoughts of a day's hard work paid off with loads of fresh apples.

Fluttershy- Daisy. Her affinity with nature and animals makes this name very symbolic to her character.

Rainbow Dash- Sally. Tough and dependable a warrior for what's right and she can take a stand in things.

Pinkie Pie- Joy. Seeing that she brings great cheer in everywhere she goes, this name is very fitting.

Rarity- Violet. Her scrutiny for beauty and upheld eye for fashion transcends with a name not only very lovely but also speaks with her prominent looks.

• 3 weeks later...

Spike and Sweetie Belle will do for nicknames (especially if her 1st name is Belle or her last name is Bell).  Scootaloo has GOT to be a nickname.  Even in California nobody would name a kid that.

Since I saw the 1st EQ Girls movie, I thought Jacqueline Apple with Apple Jack as a nickname, shortened to AJ

Rainbow is probably a nickname.  Others have suggested Rahne (pronounced "Rainy"?) & it makes sense to me

• 1 month later...

Mane 6

Applejack = Jacqueline Delanie Appleton IV (It is 4th gen and as far as I know there's been an Applejack in each, hence Applejack the 4th. Also DElanie because it fits a farmer's daughter.)

Rarity = Veronica Jemima Belle (Veronica because I feel it fits her. An elegant name for an elegant mare. Jemima because it shortens to Jem. Nuff said there.)

Pinkie Pie = Minnie Diane Pie (Minnie as a play on Mena, the rest just her actual name)

Rainbow = Raine Danger Dashington (Danger is her middle name. Raine Dashington from which Rainbow Dash comes.)

Fluttershy = LaFayette Theresa Shay (Think about it Faye Ther Shay and her shy nature hence her nickname.)

Twilight = Tara Velvet Parker (Tara for her voice actor, Velvet for her mother, Parker as the closest rhyme I could get to sparkle as a real name.)

CMC

Apple Bloom = Abigail Bethany Appleton (I went for the A.B. initials theme here. Abigial shortens to Abbie = AB and with her middle name her initials are again AB.)

Sweetie Belle = Samantha Taylor Belle (another initials theme here. S.T. Belle)

Scootaloo = Lucy Patricia Scott (Lucy Scott to get her nickname if you reverse it. PAtricia is the feminine of Peter in honor of her voice actor's last name of Peters)

Royal Sisters

Celestia = Celeste Lauren Faust (the Fausticorn decreed I name her daughter in her honor.)

Luna = Selene Carrigan Faust (Selene and Luna are Greek and Roman versions of the same moon goddess. Carrigan is the closest to a feminine of Craig, Fausticorn's husband.)

Edited by Jayrus