Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is a treasured memory of yours?

I was mulling over my past experiences in a daze today, and I remembered a simple scene I had recently taken part in. Down at camp, I was trudging slowly through the dusty roads on my way to a merit badge class. I was basking in the glorious Heat Alert 2 weather as I neared my destination. It was the last of ten days at camp; basically, that meant nothing was happening. I arrived two hours before the designated time slot for the class, so I decided to prop my plot on a picnic bench and wait. I rested my head in my arms, and quickly drifted off. I've never been one to nap, so I was conscious of my surroundings the entire time I had my head down. My senses would occasionally spike as a few people came and left the lodge. The lodge itself was locked, so all the newcomers simply had to wait for their instructors or go back to their campsites. As time went on, a quaint silence had settled over the area I had nested myself in. Nature called, and I had to choose between carrying on with sweet relaxation or wetting myself. I chose to avoid the urine option, and slowly stood up, eyes still closed. I opened them slowly, and immediately a grin broke across my face. Sleeping bodies surrounded the lodge -- any open ground that once was had now been occupied. A group of my close friends had followed me earlier, and they were sprawled across the picnic benches (which were attached to tables) as well. The sun was beating down on everyone, and despite all of our differences, we were at peace. The strikingly satisfactory unity and joy I felt at that moment rushed through my entire being. For some reason, I just felt happy. Everyone had simply dropped all worries and closed their eyes. I took care o business, and returned to see a friend of mine stand up. We looked at each other, and then at the massive blob of people sprawled everywhere. It was a comical sight, to say the least. The sun was harsh and the weather humid, but no one seemed to care. Everyone just lay there, peacefully. The fact that we were surrounded by nature is probably why this memory outshines my others as a true treasure. The conditions and setting seemed to hit me in all the right places, and as the instructors gradually came to the lodge and the nappers dispersed, I couldn't help but wonder why the world can't always be so simple.

If you have any cherished or treasured memories that you'd like to share, please do so here. I love hearing about personal experiences, and it's nice to know something that has made an impact on one's life. I look forward to reading everything this thread produces -- please, for the sake of common courtesy, keep it clean, though. Have fun. ;)

When I look back at the happier times and look at myself now, it makes me hate myself.

But at least I got to be happy in my life. Back then when my family went out together to the park, the zoo, the lake, and even out to eat.

Its sad we'll never have that ever again.

Ah... all the times my brother and I went over to his friend's house, playin' some Pokemon Yellow and Gold, ending up catching a freaking shiny Raikou for my bro, going to Colorado, thinking it was some kind of Crayola theme park and seeing all the mountains...

Good times...

(edited)

The pony thread that assimilated me.

One day, along time ago, I had freshly gotten into Minecraft.

I didn't have a legit copy of the game due to my computer being of insufficient quality so I was reluctant to join the Minecraftforum at first, but I did.

from then on I came a across a thread titled "Count until someone with an mlp avatar posts"

in that thread, four peculiar characters posted. They mostly chatted to be honest, but it was a nice thread. I don't know why I did, but I posted in it and became one of them.From then on we became pretty good friends, and it was an awesome thread. people from the minecraft forum pony thread would check in on our thread and challenge us.(we were all non bronies at the time) so the people from the thread would join us in chatting every now and then. One day one of them suggested we try an episode. So, I did. I watched a few seconds of it before clicking away in utter disgust. I did not become brony and carried on having a jolly old time on the thread. About a week later I had an odd temptation to watch the show again. So, I did. I was dumbfounded. This time around I managed to watch it all... and..I secretly loved it. I give credit to Fluttershy as she's the main reason I love this show so much.

That very day I told the people of the pony thread I was a hypocrite and told them I actually took a liking to it. They asked me typical questions, my favorite pony, they posted the traditional wlecome to the herd picture, which I miss.. they were strangers to me then, but I quickly took a liking to them all. Every single one of them. The thread grew bigger after a while and we quickly got to knew each and every one of us very well. I've never had a life or real life friends as I'm socially awkward, so I quickly became top poster. I suppose you could say I was the king of the thread, I'd post the most, reply the most, and I loved it.

It was all such an awesome experience... on the thread I had people I could call friends.. discuss something I adored...it was just great... I soon discovered I had a lot in common with a certain one of them and he soon became one of the best friends I've ever had. (sadly things have gone to shit and he no longer speaks to me.... it's depressing...) Another personal experience happened that I wouldn't trade for the world, but I will not state it here. The thread survived and went on great for a total of 6 months or so. We were the big cheese of the entire forum ;moderators would have a bit of fun and join in every now and then, even the founder of the forum stopped in every now and then.It was just great...

Then after said time period The moderators decide our thread has gone on for too long and lock it. They then make a new one to "freshen things up and lessen load on the site". This is where it went downhill... At first it wasn't a problem; things were awesome as ever, posts every minute, good discussion, the usual. But after a few months A particular moderator started banning alot of us for very idiotic reasons. Reasons that were never a problem in the past. This made posting very hard and we soon grew tired of it. We tried reporting it, waiting it out, ignoring it, fighting back, doing nothing.. it hardly worked.. We then formed a skype group which also was good for a bout 6 more months.. We posted on both skype and the thread for a bit, but then some members stoppped posting.. started leaving.... And it all went downhill. The skype group lost activity, and the thread.... it's gone.

We've stayed on the skype group really ever since.. despite inadequate activity.. some still post on that thread but it's mostly new people... I myself left the group a few days ago... I've lost contact with most of the people I loved, And it's just..gone.

I hold the thread's memory very dear, as well as the memory of every single person to ever post on that thread.

I just wish it didn't have to be this way.

I know this probably won't get read, but if anyone takes the time to read this, thank you, you are awesome.

and if you're too lazy: TL;DR I join the minecraft forum, meet some cool people, more cool people post on it, they make me a brony, I join the pony thread, become top poster, the thread and people go to shit, we make a skype group, same thing happens, it's all gone now.

Do I get an award for having the biggest wall of text so far?

Edited by Rochambo
  • Brohoof 1

I don't have one specific treasured moment, but some of my favorite memories are clustered around helping people and learning from them. My grandfather comes to mind. He'd often ask me to help out in someway that I didn't have the skill-set for. He'd teach me how to do whatever task, and then I would. I loved it.

He took me bird watching and told me about the species we spotted, then let me help identify. I remember he was going to spray the plants with pesticides and decided to take me with him so I could "help", though I don't think I did anything other than keep him company. That was the nice thing about it all: whether I actually helped out or not, I felt useful and happy. Most adults I knew would try to get rid of me or tell me that I was in their way. But he (along with my aunts) made sure that I was enjoying myself. My grandfather seemed to pick up on my keenness towards learning, and thus taught me how to make french toast, color pictures with technique, fold paper airplanes, and much more.

Just silly things like that are the things I hold dear. TL;DR - I love how my grandfather included me in activities. Those activities are the moments I treasure.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ah yes, it was in fifth grade and I had went to my friends home. Over the weekend we had done some fun things. I remember playing with airsoft guns without masks and almost getting blinded. I also remember playing with fire. It was an obsession my friend and I had shared at that age. We had taken a rag and soaked it in gasoline. We took that very rag and had started lighting it on fire in the middle of the street. Once we had succeeded we threw it in front of us and laughed. We were having a very fun time until a neighbor had bursted from his home. He yelled, "What are you kids doing?!" We immediately jumped on our bikes and rode off. However, I had driven over the rag that was in flames. It must have melted into the wheel when I was getting onto the bicycle and as I rode off, it was attached to the wheel and it flew past my legs every second. It was quite the fright and at my young age I thought that it could have set me on fire, but it was me jumping off and getting in trouble, or getting set on fire at my young perspective of the situation. So instead I just continued riding and screaming. I felt as if I were in a movie where if the car went under the speed limit, it would explode. I had some fun times in fifth grade. I remember walking on the edge of a bridge without any safety as well.

Edited by Dragonshy

I wish i could go back when I was 11 years old, I had (still have) a lot of neighbors/friends around my age around my neighborhood, and each friday after school and weekends, we just hang out and play everything like kids do. We played hide and seek around the whole neighborhood, police and thief, Bread&Cheese1-2-3, The Belt and so forth, we played all games you name it. We also played videogames a lot! and sports (like soccer, or baseball), drove bikes, went to trips, we had sleepovers (the girls of the group had their very own sleepovers) and just had so much fun! I remind us like the Hey Arnold gang.

Now we are all grown up, and we aren't as close as it used to be, i'm still close with like 2 of them, and we still live in the same neighbordhood (almost all, some moved to other areas) until each one can buy houses and never see us other again. I miss being a kid :(

I've realized that I have a really bad memory.

Even some really imprtant things, all I can remember is vague details.

But hiking in germany with the family was always a fun time, and going to the beach with just my friends.

Good Good Times

The first time I met my boyfriend, who I got to know from the internet.

So things are going to get sappy here and I'm sure nobody will care, but I'll go into detail.

It was a long time in the car. A long trip to see him with angry and ornery family members all crammed together and my sleep deprivation. Motorcycles had blocked our path and I thought we'd never arrive at the mall. Just a random motorcycle parade. Out of nowhere. Blocking the streets. Yes, it happened. And we drove around for half an hour trying to figure out how to get around it as we all screamed at each other.

Finally, I remember the moment I got out of the car and saw him in the distance of the mall. There he was, waiting for me. The walk was nerve-wracking. My heart was going to explode. I thought: "Wow, I have a boyfriend... I have one... and I'm going to meet him." I started running. I ran towards my boyfriend and then suddenly leapt at him, almost knocking him down with my hug. This is a big achievement for me in real life, as I usually am not that bold or courageous. I will never forget that moment where I faced my fears.

And the day we spent together, where I proved that knowing a person on the internet truly will transfer to some great real life chemistry. I proved that a person could technically be a stranger to me, and yet I'll act like my true eccentric self instead of being shy around them. I was so brave. The day I first held hands with someone, and my first kiss behind the dumpster (doesn't sound very romantic, but that dumpster holds a lot of good memories for me), as we stared into each other's eyes. I tried to avoid eye contact because when our eyes connected, it was so powerful that I did not understand it. Our first kiss wasn't perfect, so I asked him for a do-over.

Ah, I'm getting all sappy. Every single time I've met him after that have been quite literally the happiest times of my life, they give me a happiness that nothing else does. So... I treasure all of them greatly. But that first time is a very treasured memory of mine.

• Brohoof 1

Family moments as a child

Travel moments as a young adult

A nice picnic I had today lol

I have as many crappy memories as I have good ones. Can't be bothered to list each and every one down here though...

(edited)

A very good friend of mine died in a planecrash. Its been some time now but i still remember when we both played Super Smash brothers. Melee.

And how we used to play ''Spyro'' and ''Super Mario'' at the school playground.

Lovely memory.

Edited by Vicke

Everything pre-fall of 2007 has now become a treasured moment of mine, because it was back when my life was simple and had nothing significant to worry about... And when deep down I had a real hope for the future.

Fall of 2007, ironically has become a treasured memory as well. It happened to also contain my first semester of college. It was also my first time ever getting to play the bassoon for band. I found out that music was what I really wanted to do, and that it would be possible whereas in high school I had low confidence. It is the most bittersweet time of my life, but great memories anyway. The school part of the semester was perfect in every single way.

It was like a dream... Also like a dream was the next fall when I had a real social life. It didn't last long as was especially like a dream because today it's almost exactly like it never happened. The only exception being that I lost a very close friendship.

The fall before both of them was another treasured memory, because it was the best marching band season anybody could possibly ask for.

I guess Fall is usually when memorable things happen for me.

The times when my brother would play the guitar and I would sing, those are probably my favorite memories with him. Last time we did that was Christmas Eve last year I was pretty drunk and was in over confidence mode (frankly the whole family was wasted) and we were singing/playing the song Pumped Up Kicks for my parents, grandparents and sister. That was an amazing night.

Playing with my orchestra in Carnegie Hall in NYC. I will never forget how good we sounded and how much fun and humbling it was. I want to go back and play there so bad!

(edited)

In college, when I discovered my passion. Kind of late for a cutie mark, I suppose, but my childhood was mostly missing parents, so my most fond memories I make myself.

Also, my high school's Latin club trip to Italy. Oh man I miss Europe. :c

Edited by Slipstream

OH MY GOODNESS.

By thinking of what I was to reply with this, ............ You won't believe it but I .... I just found my cutie mark. Right now.

<3 THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS TOPIC SO I COULD SEE IT AND FIND MY CUTIE MARK!!

When I was younger I would go on camping holidays with my parents, and couple of other families. We were all friends. We would stay in a woodland campsite, then in the middle of the night we would all go out into the woods and explore. It was so much fun.