Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Losing Interest in MLP

Homura Akemi

I've been pretty 'meh' about episodes recently. I started losing interest in season 5 but I still watched it.

While I have still been watching season six, I'm getting to the point where I almost don't care if there's a new episode out or not; if I watch it I watch it, and if I don't then I don't. Let's just say certain episodes have besmirched my faith in the show and have made me hesitant to continue watching, even to the point where I've gone through and made a list of all the show-writers I consider to be good and bad -- so when a new episode comes out I can know what to expect. Sometimes there's new writers on-board, and I'm usually willing to give those ones the benefit of the doubt. For example, I think Michael Vogel did a great job with A Hearth's Warming Tail (even though the plot is a copypasta).

Don't think I'll ever stop being a brony, but I'm certainly feeling very ambivalent about the show these days.

• 1 year later...

I'm kinda losing interest in the season, but that doesn't mean I'm losing interest of the show all together! Odd-numbered seasons usually don't stick out for me, so maybe season 8 would be better since it's an even-numbered season, which usually makes me interested!

yeah. S5 and S6 killed my interest in the show; it feels like S3 all over again.

I'm looking forward to the movie, but the trend of the show and EQG has me kind of not caring anymore-- I doubt the direction is going to change, or interesting changes being done.

We will lose interesting at something at some point, like some video games that we even spend over 1000 hours to play ;) but we will come back to them eventually. 

Yeah my interests for the show has dropped a little bit after too many mediocre episodes, the new writers come and go bother me so much, it really hurt the show more than good, looking at good/bad episode ratio of new writers recently really worried me ;/. The negativity of the fandom during season 6 and above somehow drained my energy, now i just want to watch the show peacefully and dont have any enthusiasm for any fandom activities just simple as typing this comment.

However, i still love the show, this lack of enthusiasm is just a temporary, as soon this show produce more amazing episodes, my strength will come back to me ;). Right now, Season 7 is a mixed bag to me, hope it will get good sometime soon.

Usually interest in a fandom waxes and wanes a bit. Usually if you take a break from it and come back you see it with fresh eyes. It was like that for me with anime for a bit especially because RL took over but I came back and was just as into it. Usually the more loyal fans wait out the comings and goings. No show is 100% all the time. Am I the only one who really likes the new season:confused:

Me as well, They just kept changing too much and I wasn't comfortable with their choices,

It started when they destroyed the library and replaced it with an eye sore of a castle and I think what broke the Camel's back was the almost forced ending to Season 5.

I think I'll binge-watch S6 and S7 this summer though if I can find anywhere online I can legally purchase it from. 

Generally yes, I prefer to watch previous episodes, for example for the fifth time than new ones. I think that the best episodes of the series are already behind. It is probably quite normal situation. "But the overall show is still really good," as Stormfury wrote.  And I will never stop liking MLP show.

• Brohoof 1

Well I've been watching the show every weekdays about 3hrs total, 2hrs and 30mins if there's show i'm watching at 12:30PM PS/DT. I still love the show and I've been watching the re-runs every weekdays so apparently i'm not showing signs of losing interest in the show

Yeah, I have to agree with ya there. I don't really find myself rushing to Saturdays anymore and I've been really hesitant about rewatching any episodes. Personally, I think it's because I HAVEN'T BEEN BUYING ANY MERCHANDISE LATELY. (A sin on its own) 

Addictions and interests usually wear off overtime, so I'm genuinely surprised I've lasted this long in the fandom. My involvement in the fandom has died down drastically and been reduced to me merely watching a television show. It's sad, really. 

(but no worries, because I am going to be travelling all over God's green earth looking for that exclusive Wonderbolts Derpy set only from Target. Never fear, Hasbro, I will find thee!)

The show also hasn't gotten much new stuff. Only new things so far are:

• Starlight appearing without Twilight (Rock Solid Friendship)
  • Rarity being the only Mane Six pony in an episode (Forever Filly)
  • Starlight being called by the Cutie Map (A Royal Problem)

My hypothesis is if someone starts watching as a kid then they grow out of it, but someone who starts as an adult will stay with it. 6 years is a long time if you are young but it is not when you are old. 

I also notice that people who complain about the show over analyze it. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is the season where I've been wanting to skip episodes because the synopsis sounded so uninteresting 

yet most of those episodes I've turned out to enjoy, so who knows?

This is a stark contrast to Season 6 which is the closest I've gotten to quitting the show 

Edited by The Undefeated of the East

I still like the show, but I'm not as into it as I used to be. I find the newer episodes to be alright, but for the most part, I don't enjoy them as much as the older ones. There are quite a few shows I've been more into lately.

Well there was that time during early season 5 where my interest was pretty low, especially during Bloom and Gloom where I considered not watching the show anymore.

But things eventually got better for me.

While Starlight is giving me some interest in the show, they need to give her more episodes by herself and less of the Mane 6 being together stuff, Twilight needs to stop getting involved in things that isn't necessary and Pinkie just needs to grow up, her humor is starting to tire out and getting recycled.

I'm only really interested in the show itself when episodes are actually being aired and a season is in progress, so my interest in it comes and goes. 

But actually contrary to most people in the thread, I've been getting more into the show (I used to be primarily concerned with collecting MLP toys) as it's been going on, and can't wait for the Season 7 hiatus to end! 

I don't want them to continue it too long every good thing must come to end and I don't want to see it erode away slowly. 

I'm not as hyped about the show as I used to be but I still love every bit about what this show has brought to me and all the great memories 😊

• Brohoof 2

Me and my brother slowly lose interested around season 6 or 7. We been doing other things. We are not hyped to see a new episode anymore, I haven't bought the merchandise anymore, haven't listen MLP songs in awhile, and talking about the show a lot than we use to be. We are trying to hang on with the show towards the movie. The Equestria girls movie, we don't care anymore. This show will have memories for us what we did years ago.

I don't see how anyone would quit the show just because the episodes are supposedly less interesting. Do you like the show or not? The worst MLP episode is still better than no MLP at all. So if not every episode blows you away then you quit? What else are you going to do with your time? Just enjoy the show and be thankful you have it. Even at it's worst it still makes life bearable. 

12 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Anyone else not as into the show as they were when they started? I've been slowly losing interest in the show since S6.

Actually, I'm even more interested in ponies this season, after the divisive previous two seasons. Things got a bit back on tract in the second half of both, and they were a but meh during the first half, but this season, only two episodes have been mediocre 

12 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

I'm kinda losing interest in the season, but that doesn't mean I'm losing interest of the show all together! Odd-numbered seasons usually don't stick out for me, so maybe season 8 would be better since it's an even-numbered season, which usually makes me interested!

Which is weird considering that, in my opinion, this season has been FiM's strongest point in years

12 hours ago, Lenny said:

We loose interest over time. But it might just be temporary.

Been there, but it's natural. If it's temporally or permanent, I'd advice to stay away and see if you recover your interest or not. Forcing to follow something if you lack interest ain't healthy ;) 

11 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

yeah. S5 and S6 killed my interest in the show; it feels like S3 all over again.

I'm looking forward to the movie, but the trend of the show and EQG has me kind of not caring anymore-- I doubt the direction is going to change, or interesting changes being done.

Maybe Megan McCarthy will return for S8 now that she's finished with the movie

10 hours ago, Stormfury said:

Maybe a little...but the show overall is still really good. 

I think the show is at it's best in years. Maybe the fandom is making fell otherwise because they still have the bitter taste of the previous seasons and lost their expectations :huh: 

9 hours ago, RealityPublishing said:

Yeah, I have to agree with ya there. I don't really find myself rushing to Saturdays anymore and I've been really hesitant about rewatching any episodes. Personally, I think it's because I HAVEN'T BEEN BUYING ANY MERCHANDISE LATELY. (A sin on its own) 

In your defense though, I don't see any interesting merchandise around :huh: 

1 hour ago, AJFan89 said:

While Starlight is giving me some interest in the show, they need to give her more episodes by herself and less of the Mane 6 being together stuff, Twilight needs to stop getting involved in things that isn't necessary and Pinkie just needs to grow up, her humor is starting to tire out and getting recycled.

Well, if the known synopsis are to go by, the Mane6 are getting less spotlight than before, as there are more Starlight and cuties episodes than before. It may also help that they've found a winning formula for Starlight: interacting with characters outside the Mane6 :yay: 

• Brohoof 2