Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Different Kind of Hotness

Key Gear

In direct response to user feedback, a change has been made in the way that hot topics are marked. Originally, any topic with over 40 replies would be marked as a hot topic. Now that this change has been made, only topics with recent, significant activity will receive a "hot topic" badge. (This change may take a little while to be reflected everywhere because the temperature of the topic is only updated when someone makes a new post.)

Because certain areas are more active than other areas, the 'hot topic' requirements are different in each forum section. For example, it's easier for a topic to become a "hot topic" in the Welcoming Plaza than if it was in Cloudsdale. We will be fine tuning these settings over the next few days, so that we can get the right balance for all sections. Eventually, we may even add some type of “hot topics” display on the front page.

The following image is an example that shows all of the available temperature indicators (ignore the number of replies):

Posted Image

• Red Hot topics are literally on fire. They have an insane activity level, and there's a very strong possibility that you will be ninja'd.
  • Hot topics are where you can expect to get a good conversation going. The discussion is moving quickly, but not so quickly that everyone is about to post at the same time.
  • Warm topics have an active but gentle pace. You can take your time and type, but you may have a bit of time before someone makes another response.
  • Cool topics are topics that are less active than the others, but not dead. They just tend to move at a much lower speed of conversation.
  • Frozen topics are locked.
Topics cool off naturally over time. They also cool off as the time between posts increases. A topic that does not have a temperature badge attached is one that has either cooled off completely or never heated up to begin with. These new badges should make it easier to find active discussions without having to dig through a stack of 'hot topics' in each section.

This improvement is part of our continued campaign for making MLP Forums the best MLP:FiM discussion site on the Internet. Over the next few months, we look forward to continuing to improve the MLP Forums experience by adding new features, polishing the features that we already have, and, most importantly, listening to our members' feedback.

BTW, I bet you were expecting something a little bit different based on that title? ^_^

• Brohoof 58

THANK YOU! You don't know how many times I'd see "Hot" on a a page and then see it hasn't been posted in for weeks :P

Definitely a good addition to the site, good job administration.

And yes, I was expecting something else when reading the thread's title.

• Brohoof 1

Scatcoal is hawtest mod.

In his everlasting pursuit for the ultimate hawtness, he has synthesized the forums into... Red Hot! Oh yes, the forums now have SUPERIOR HAWTNESS to all forums!

Dat topic. B)

• Brohoof 5

Great work, Scootacool.

Its not a feature i will have in mind that much but i will give you that you sure know how to go onward with a site. Along with Feld0.

First the blog feature and now a nicely polished activity system. You may have my hoof sir.

I'm looking forward to see whats up next ;)

Damnit, and i thought that maybe i could see some hotness with Scootacool :(

Edited by Vicke
  • Brohoof 2

No, I figured it had something to do with the hot badge thingy because it was requested earlier and a lot of people agreed that it should have been change. I'm not a creepy pervert weirdo. :/

I figured it would just be a new way the hot badges were added, but no, there's like... tons of others, now, too, so I actually find this to be pretty useful. :D

• Brohoof 2

i was totally expecting this kind of topic based on the title in no way was i thinking of other topics >_>

this seem like a great idea its better then having topics as hot for two week even the post rate there has drops also i give the idea that when a topic go's cool it can be reheated live left over pizza... and now i hungry

• Brohoof 1

Incoming stupid question: Is Frozen just another way to identify topics that are locked, or do really old topics that aren't posted in, in forever automatically get locked/frozen?

• Brohoof 1

Incoming stupid question: Is Frozen just another way to identify topics that are locked, or do really old topics that aren't posted in, in forever automatically get locked/frozen?

Great question!

No need to be concerned, frozen is just another way to identify topics that are locked. :D

Really old topics that have not been posted in do not get locked/frozen automatically. After all, we actually encourage people to respond to already existing topics on the subject regardless of how old the topic is.

• Brohoof 6

Great question!

No need to be concerned, frozen is just another way to identify topics that are locked. :D

Really old topics that have not been posted in do not get locked/frozen automatically. After all, we actually encourage people to respond to already existing topics on the subject regardless of how old the topic is.

That's what I assumed. Good xP Didn't want to suddenly find out that ancient topics can't be bumped anymore.

In that case, yes, another flawless and great addition to the forums Scootsie. *clap*

• Brohoof 1

This is a great implement - now users can identify which discussions are really worth getting into (the RED HOT threads) and which ones you can just sit back and post casually (the COOL threads). Of course, participating in all sorts of threads is encouraged, but I've always felt that some threads in Show Discussion should be discussed more than others, just because they're really intriguing and engaging.

Awesome work, Scoots! You are the Lucius Fox of MLP Forums.

• Brohoof 3

I propose a change to this system.

If one is using the Equestrian Science theme, the tags are changed to this:

Red Hot > Planck Temperature

Hot > Core Region of Supermassive Star

Warm > Sublimation Point of Carbon

Cool > Bose-Einstein Condensate

Frozen > Absolute Zero

• Brohoof 1

This is certainly a very cool *ahem!* addition to the forums! I'd imagine it'll come in handy - as @ said, it can be annoying to come across a topic labelled 'Hot' which is so dead even zombies won't associate with it.

BTW, I bet you were expecting something a little bit different based on that title? ^_^

Spicy chicken?

/I'm so so so very sorry for that horrible pun but I couldn't resist. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

This is awesome! I really really love this. Actually, I've been wanting something similar to this for a long time because that hot topic thing just.. Sorry Feld0 but it was garbage ;)

• Brohoof 1

I'm disappointed by OP title. I wanted to see some hot Scootacool.

I expect to see some hot Scootacool on my birthday tomorrow!

OT:

This should be nice for the forum games. Damn ninjas hide there man, I tell ya what!

• Brohoof 3

I'm disappointed by OP title. I wanted to see some hot Scootacool.

I expect to see some hot Scootacool on my birthday tomorrow!

OT:

This should be nice for the forum games. Damn ninjas hide there man, I tell ya what!

hot Scootacool is hard to find there like alien sightings may i interest you in some hot Scootaloo instead

Posted Image

i know its a old joke but i couldn't help myself... i am weak.

also happy birthday in advance Crona

• Brohoof 1

I'm totally loving this idea! It really helps give people and idea of what's going on in a thread since I get ninja'd all the bloody time XD

Edited by PinkieDaShy
  • Brohoof 1

hot Scootacool is hard to find there like alien sightings may i interest you in some hot Scootaloo instead

Posted Image

i know its a old joke but i couldn't help myself... i am weak.

also happy birthday in advance Crona

Must be too old for me to know because its new to me haha xD

And yes very good addition, although I think its fair to say all topics should be given the

same attention regardless if they are hawt or not :) ANWHOOOO great addition, glad to see

this forum is still improving! Cheers!

~Icewing

• Brohoof 2

Mmm... When will this idea be implemented?

So all topics that haven't replied to for a set of time won’t be marked as anything then? Because that would be weird to check the tenth page in General Discussion and everything is marked ‘cool’

E:Shame on me, these temperature only visible on MLPForums skin D:

Goodbye, IP.Board theme :(

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Brohoof 1

I like this "Hotness" but there should be only three Hotness/Coldness since the other names sound weird.

There should only be Hot, Warm and Cool but that's just my opinion.

• Brohoof 1