Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever try to escape reality? And how?

Rain Dance

All I do is try to escape reality.  My whole life is just escapism.  I just play video games, watch tv, and read fiction.  There's nothing else.  My whole world is just trying to pretend I'm in a different one.  What else is there?

I’m constantly trying to escape reality. In fact, I consider the real world the distraction and my own inner worlds the true reality. Among the things that help me escape are using my home planetarium in my blackened room while I lay on my bed; or writing fictional stories and verse, watching movies and anime, listening to mood sounds like my Naturescape CDs which have ocean waves, rainy woods, cricket song, etc. I have an old Scent Stories machine I call a Smellitzer (a name I stole from old Disney Imagineers) which fills the room with a variety of scents depending on the scent disc I choose. Sometimes I put on one of those long 6-hour videos on YT, showing a sandy beach, rainy night or whatever. I even have a tiny little table fountain on my bed table; it has colored lights and the sounds of the water are very peaceful. Even my job is an escape from the typical world. So yeah, reality is overrated and I prefer my own custom experiences.

I've always been daydream since childhood. I've made a few stories in my head and I like to add details to it from time to time. Maybe I'll bring them to reality some day, who knows

I would to say dreams, but now I've been dreaming more about my real life except just more hectic-then only to wake up dealing with it anyway. :maud: . example,  I often dream about getting ready to work and it sucks to wake up to do it all over again.  

Well I have my reality-escaping methods which are mainly between watching YouTube videos, cooking food, playing video games, talking to friends or my boyfriend, and being on this forum site which I've been doing a lot more lately. :P 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

The one avenue I hope to escape reality is wanting to somehow play the remainder of Star Wars:  The Old Republic.  Managed to deal with the story's first half.  Being that I am :stressed:annoyed occasionally that only subscribers, being I'm not one of them, are the ones who have access to a :pout:huge majority of the game's story content, based on the :blink:huge number of chapters involved and the expansions that involve a big deal to the Star Wars mythos.  The one expansion:Pharynx: that appears to be the golden granddaddy to the mythos is titled Knights of the Eternal Throne:wau:  The story, as a :worry:free player, stops me at a dead end:( all because of a bad guy who used the force to suck the life out of one planet:umad: and the place is left of grey spooky color:unsure: and big rock crumbling noises:sealed:  I must know more and :BrightMacContent:explore more, too bad, subscribers:stressed: get to do both.  But that not the only location subscribers have tickets to:okiedokieloki:  There are loads of :sunbutt:other planets, areas, even single to 16-player operations only they can play:mlp_gag: and to worsen things for free players, they have access to :angry:more characters:ithastolookpretty:  They have:yuck: the choice to off their companions for all :unamused:new ones.  Not going to have this escape from reality:bea: due to inflation and gas prices ruining it for me:lostit:  Okay I'm done venting.  

I usually play video games, watch YouTube, post on social media, and browse the internet to escape reality. I always try to escape reality because reality is that I'm worthless, useless, depressed, anxious, lonely, and a bunch of other negative things. I don't see any point to living life and I look forward to my death.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-06-26 at 10:54 PM, EpicEnergy said:

I usually play video games, watch YouTube, post on social media, and browse the internet to escape reality. I always try to escape reality because reality is that I'm worthless, useless, depressed, anxious, lonely, and a bunch of other negative things. I don't see any point to living life and I look forward to my death.

:unamused:

Ur not worthless for one.  

I've been mostly anime watching if anything or gaming a lot.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Tao said:

:unamused:

Ur not worthless for one. 

You are being too soft. Which is the last thing he really needs. Even if you think you are "helping" him. You are only doing more damage in the end.

A denaturalized society... Do you really believe he needs pity? When he is already doing that for himself. He needs tough love. He needs nature. To man up.

I know. Nature may seem cruel and crude and harsh. But it cultivates strength and intestinal fortitude within us. Instinct. That part of us that is meant to protect us and keep us strong so we do not become over-emotional in our weakness and incapacity. Which can result in this kind of self-loathing and suicidal behaviour, because he has real life needs that cannot be fulfilled with virtual entertainment.
And it is a vicious cycle. Because then people with similar problems will often insulate themselves from reality, which exacerbates their emotional hypersenstitivity and decompensation, as well as their ability to deal with real life. Becoming even weaker in the process.

Being emotionally hypersensitive or over-emotional is not a quality. It is a sign that there is something wrong. Especially in that which regards self-esteem, ego, personal power and sexuality. All the aspects related to the animal side of us. Which is the reason why interaction with nature is so important in our lives. I don't know this person, but beginning with physical exercise may be a good idea to start rebuilding that low self-esteem.

And this is all just a guess, so ignore me if I am wrong. But there is a friend who is a youtuber, who grew up behind a monitor, and now he cannot face the human reality, and he is becoming more depressed because of his loneliness. And animal creatures, including humans, need a couple. Look at nature. That is the cycle of life.
And the problem is that he is still psychologically like a child, because of all the insulation from reality, and infantilizing entertainment that he consumed during his youth, which is especially bad when you are a thirty year old man. Because it has created a false perception of reality for him. So, he wants to escape to japan, because he thinks that because the sakura trees are "pretty", it will be better for him there. Like people will be less "human" there, somehow. And because he consumed a ton of romantic-type anime garbage that has created a lot of damage in his emotional and sexual life.
And he is such a sweet guy to be around, because he is still like an innocent child, so you don't feel that instinctive hostility and natural competition you experience when you are around other men. But it is also sad, because he has realized that reality is not what the monitor told him, and that "man" part inside of him is suffering, and now he wants to kill himself, basically.

So, yeah. I hope you get better, EpicEnergy. And do something to get better.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

IF you are on a forum site online, ESPECIALLY one about animated ponies, posting all your life advice/cynical opinions on others behaviors or just your general take on why they are who they are you are definitely experiencing some escapism from reality. It's no secret that you come here to talk to others/vent your personal feelings bc it's a safe space to do so. I love animation, I love fantasy, I love living with a sense of splendor and imagination, and I like to keep the magic alive for myself. Certain artistic outlets NEEDED. Shit just brings me happiness. You can choose to be cold/cynical but at the end of the day, you are REALLY trying to escape reality when you are hyper focused on others faults and insecurities. You can be real, but never forget to be real with yourself. We aren't all self help gurus, just another internet jabrony behind a keyboard from a different address, coming to a place that's comfortable for them online. If you had a place irl to talk about ponies, that's where you would be, at least I know I would REGULARLY.