Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Some theories on why ponies aren't vegetarians.

Harmonic Revelations

So I was thinking about it. Some people claim that all ponies in the show are vegetarians. Which would be strange. For example, Applejack has a barn for storing animals. We learned way back in season 1 episode 18 that there are pigs stored there, and since pigs don't produce anything for use other than their meat, that is why I believe ponies also eat meat.

Edited by Suprememessage

Thats not a barn silly little filly! thats just erm... a - HOME! a home yes thats what it is, just a home.

and technically, pigs do have a use. theyll eat any unused peelings, or is that worms?

Well they have a whole room inside full of just pigs. As well as some animal stalls for animals that aren't seen (technically the stalls are horse stalls but they can't store horses on a show about ponies)

I always just thought that the pony diet consisted of grass, cupcakes, cider, cake, cider, cupcakes, chocolate mousse, cake, cupcakes, cake, cider, cider, cake, apple pie, cake, cider, and cupcakes.

Me too, I also thought the same as well. Mostly what I see them eat is sweets, grass, and fruits. But never have I seen them eat meat of any kind on the show. I'm ow starting to wonder about their eating habits on the show. :ph34r:

@,

...I know we're supposed to discuss questions and so on about the show but some things asked in these threads makes me wonder how people think and if they're into this Equestria world a little bit too much.

Anyways, obviously Lauren Faust just wanted to create six different ponies each one with different personalities and origins and one of these was the Apple Family which are (also obviously) supposed to be similar to wild west people or something. The ponies doesn't eat meat. They are vegetarians. They are ponies. The animals are just there because the barn is there, since a barn wouldn't be needed if there weren't no animals. And the barn is there because it is something that shows the Apple Family is this kind of people.

You really think Laurent thought "Hm, I'll put pigs in this barn because they're going to get meat from them and eat them."

No the pigs are just there for visuals. It's a kids show ._. Why are everypony acting like FBI people..

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 3

It's not harmful to talk and speculate about the various elements of the Equestrian world. This is how a fanbase becomes more interesting and more unified because we like to talk about the "what ifs" and theories about the series.

No need to get all antsy over it. :I

• Brohoof 4

I think that Applejack just has the animals for show, or just to play around with or herd them.

Ponies are obviously vegans, and besides that, throughout the whole show we've seen no signs of meat-eating ponies. So if one barn has a couple pigs, I don't really think that would make everypony a carnivore.

Plus....what about the talking cows?! D: They don't eat them....so, I really don't think their carnivores in any sense. Otherwise we've would've seen them already.

Edited by Pixiesong

I think she raises them just for sport. I can't think of any other reason she would. There is no canon evidence of them eating meat so I must say they do not eat meat,

They aren't herbivores but no meat has been eaten yet. They do eat milk and eggs which already rules out them being any regular horses as evident from eating cake, cupcakes and the fact that Twilight knew how to milk the cows. The pigs are kind of strange, I suppose the writers weren't focusing too much on the ponies diet but just putting the farm relatable to the human world.

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 1

@,

...I know we're supposed to discuss questions and so on about the show but some things asked in these threads makes me wonder how people think and if they're into this Equestria world a little bit too much.

Anyways, obviously Lauren Faust just wanted to create six different ponies each one with different personalities and origins and one of these was the Apple Family which are (also obviously) supposed to be similar to wild west people or something. The ponies doesn't eat meat. They are vegetarians. They are ponies. The animals are just there because the barn is there, since a barn wouldn't be needed if there weren't no animals. And the barn is there because it is something that shows the Apple Family is this kind of people.

You really think Laurent thought "Hm, I'll put pigs in this barn because they're going to get meat from them and eat them."

No the pigs are just there for visuals. It's a kids show ._. Why are everypony acting like FBI people..

I feel insulted, not only because you started out by insulting my sanity, but also because you act like I don't know that. I'm just explaining a theory. Incase you didn't know, all a theory needs is a solid idea that has some evidence behind it. It does not need to be officially correct or anything. It makes for an interesting discussion.

Your post basically said "I know this part of the forums is about asking questions but why are people asking questions?".

Which really doesn't make any sense. Plus Pinkie Pie eats meat a few times in the show so saying they don't eat meat is a blatant lie that the show itself clearly contradicts.

Edited by Suprememessage
  • Brohoof 2

While ponies are all vegetrians, what do organisms like the Diamond Dogs eat? They travel in packs, which suggests they prey upon large game.

Speaking of unrelated anecdotes, back when I was little we'd watch the movie Babe and then immediately fry up an entire package of bacon.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 1

Some people raise chickens for show. Why wouldn't the Apple family raise pigs for show?

They are vegetarian. I'm assuming you forgot about "Over a Barrel."

Also, pigs are living garbage disposals. That might be another reason.

Edited by SonOfTheNorthe

Well actually it gets weirder. I've been looking around and apparently there is some evidence that the ponies do eat meat.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGUUt6dIa0

Pinkie Pie likes eating hotdogs. And since they do raise pigs...

http://bgcrisis.blog...endship-is.html

There's reasons in this blog for them being herbivores and counter reasons for them being omnivores.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnWULM4jpKI

A snow horse just ate the hotdog at 3:05 :S

The other one didn't like it... maybe some like them some don't?

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 2

http://images2.wikia...rd_of_faust.png

Lauren Faust had previously said the pigs needed a home, with the addition of digging truffles. And if The Great Faust says so, I believe it's pretty settled that the pigs are not raised to be eaten. Then again, could they be supplying the Griffin Kingdom with meat? Who knows?

Edited by MrBeatnikSoul
  • Brohoof 1

Spikes seems creeped out at the thought of Pinkie eating a hotdog.

Maybe eating meat is a taboo in their society...

although there is this clip:

There sure looks like there is some sort of meat on that sandwich that Applejack nearly takes a bite from :o

~

Spikes seems creeped out at the thought of Pinkie eating a hotdog.

Maybe eating meat is a taboo in their society...

although there is this clip:

There sure looks like there is some sort of meat on that sandwich that Applejack nearly takes a bite from :o

~

Actually Spike was speechless about her announcing something completely random like everyone does get weirded out from Pinkie Pie's way of talking. And why would they even serve ham sandwiches where only ponies gather. :S

Something tells me herbivores don't generally eat meat mainly because they don't have the teeth to tear the meat. But if you offer them cut up meat in easily bitten chunks they would eat it.

Edited by poniesforfun

I feel insulted, not only because you started out by insulting my sanity, but also because you act like I don't know that. I'm just explaining a theory. Incase you didn't know, all a theory needs is a solid idea that has some evidence behind it. It does not need to be officially correct or anything. It makes for an interesting discussion.

Mate I didn't mean to insult you. It just makes me wonder why people talk about things that to me are obvious and doesn't even need to be discussed. I see this so much within our fandom and I dont understand it. It's like "hey I have this idea maybe 1+1=6, because [insert brony proof and investigations here]"

Again sorry.

Why does Fluttershy keep animals like bunnies and squirrels? To eat them? No.

Applejack keeps the pigs in order to take care of them. It's not natural for animals to care for themselves (as said by AJ herself in the second episode), so even if the Apples have no use for the livestock, they need to take them in and preserve them.

• Brohoof 1

Why does Fluttershy keep animals like bunnies and squirrels? To eat them? No.

Applejack keeps the pigs in order to take care of them. It's not natural for animals to care for themselves (as said by AJ herself in the second episode), so even if the Apples have no use for the livestock, they need to take them in and preserve them.

Yeah pretty much this

..Le screenshot

Posted Image

oh and that clip shankveld has there is probably just something they didn't think about while animating.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Something I just noticed while re-watching some of the episodes is that I saw a few pigs in one episode, I have to wonder why they would breed these pigs if Equestria is a vegetarian society? 

I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Happy Posting!  :lol:

post-10545-0-93973700-1355251792.jpg

• Brohoof 2

For the chickens I'll go for the eggs... as they are needed to bake cakes and some cookies. That would also apply for the cows as the milk is also a very important ingredient, so we can estimate the Pony society is vegetarian but not vegan, eggs, cheese, milk, cream and that kind of food must be into their diet.

For the pigs, well in our world they are used 99% of the time as a source of meat but there is also another activity they perform like no other creature in the realm of animalia.

Truffle hunting and extraction, and we can take that can work as Truffle are a exquisite mushroom considered to be a delicatessen. Its still vegetarian food and the pigs would be usefull.

BOOM KNOWLEDGE!!!!!

Edited by Colt
  • Brohoof 10

post-761-0-59538600-1355252560.jpg

It's a cartoon, nothing is ever logical in cartoons. However, it's possible that maybe they just raise the pigs as pets or something. Or maybe it's possible that they eat pigs, although I haven't seen that.

• Brohoof 1