Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you call the target audience for MLP?

AustralianFries

Let me clarify. The unavoidable truth is that the target audience for MLP is most certainly little girls. But it just sounds weird calling a little girl that watches MLP a brony, or even a pegasister. So, what exactly do you call a little girl that watches MLP.

My neighbor has a little girl who I've known since she was born. (I think she's 5.) Today she was sitting next to her bike singing the My Little Pony theme. As I was riding my longboard past her, I chimed in. She was like =O "You watch My Little Pony?!" And I was like "Of course I do! Look at my sweater!" as I pointed to the "20% Cooler" text and the silhouette of Rainbow Dash and her hair. My almost immediate reaction was to ask her "Are you a brony?" but that would sound kinda weird. Seeing as:

1) She probably doesn't even know what that is.

And

2) It would just sound... Weird. I don't know.

I mean she's only five, and she is technically the target audience for MLP, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. When I think of brony, I think of someone that watches MLP that is outside of the target audience. I know a brony is really just someone that watches My Little Pony, but it just doesn't seem fitting for a little girl that watches the show... Opinions?

Edited by Australianfries
  • Brohoof 1

There isn't a name.

I would've just asked the same thing she asked you. "You're a fan of the show?" or something along the lines of that.

Because that's just what she is, a fan, she likes the show, and she's within the normally sorta intended target audience.

The target audience isn't obscure enough to have their own official name! Yeah... just kidding.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't really think you'd have to call them a special term, expecially since they wouldn't even know what that would mean most likely.

I'd just ask them if they watched MLP if i had that kinda question come up. Any name we make up doesn't normally get across to people in the age of the "Targeted audience"(Although to be fair I kinda think the show was actually made for familys. Still it probably was a bit more focused to little girls, but still..)

So yeah I'd just ask her back the question she asked you, no need for a special term or anything :P.

A fan of the show?

Do you really need a specialized name for it anyways? I'm fine with being just "A fan of the show" since most fandom's I'm part of don't have nicknames, or the ones that exist are dumb as all get out.

• Brohoof 1

I think MLP is for anyone. I don't think anyone should be labelled for watching it. I love MLP but like Dashforever said above me I simply think of myself as fan - the same way I would consider myself a fan of other shows that I enjoy.

Eh.

I'd call her a Brony because that doesn't really sound weird to me. It might sound weird to her, considering that she might not know what a Brony is.

I find it weird to call people Pegasisters, but that's just me.

...or we can call her "Fan."

I have an idea, let's call them "Fillies".

Now we've got Bronies, Pegasisters and Fillies. There, I solved the internet.

You're welcome.

Edited by Circadian

I guess if you're asking for an official name to describe younger viewers within the fandom, the best that I can really come up with is "fillies". I still wouldn't actually call any of the younger fans "fillies" to their faces and just refer to them as fans of the show; probably would just use that term online and such, but hey, it's something. It is a little odd that this fandom really doesn't have a descriptive term/label at this point for the younger viewers, but I guess it isn't really that big of a deal.

• Brohoof 1

It dosen't really seem necessary to call them anything other than fan, because of bronies 10 or 20 years from now terms for fans outside the "target audience" might not even be necessary because it won't be seen as unusual or deviant. It used to be taboo for adults to be into things like cartoons, comics and video games period, now nobody thinks twice about it.