Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Discord actually Starswirl the Bearded?

That Colt

78 users have voted

1. 1. Are Discord and Star Swirl the same person?

• Yes
    • No

• 5 months later...

Ok one of the main reasons everyone says Discord is Star Swirl is because Discord can time travel. Now when is Discord shown to time travel? If he ever does I can't find it, and if Discord can time travel so what? So can Twilight, and any other unicorn that is strong enough, and has access to the Canterlot Library. Now as far as Discord being Star Swirl, I've not decided about what side I stand on that, though I think this debunks the whole time travel stuff, atleast partly.

Doesn't Discord time travel in The Return of Harmony pt 2 when he takes Twilight back earlier to the castle?

Doesn't Discord time travel in The Return of Harmony pt 2 when he takes Twilight back earlier to the castle?

There's no indication that it was actual time travel. It could just have been a vision he was creating for her to see. Like in the S4 Premiere with Zecora's potion. It wasn't actual time travel, since Twilight couldn't affect the events as they unfolded.

We've only seen true time travel in "It's About Time", since Future!Twilight clearly interacted with Past!Twilight, to the point where it created a Stable Time Loop.

Edited by SolarFox

There's no indication that it was actual time travel. It could just have been a vision he was creating for her to see. Like in the S4 Premiere with Zecora's potion. It wasn't actual time travel, since Twilight couldn't affect the events as they unfolded.

We've only seen true time travel in "It's About Time", since Future!Twilight clearly interacted with Past!Twilight, to the point where it created a Stable Time Loop.

If you think about it, Twilight got that spell from the Starswirl The Bearded Wing of the magical Canterlot archives. It was probably Starswirl who created the spell, meaning he may have successfully time traveled atleast once in his life. Edited by crazitaco

It's certainly a possibility. We know Starswirl was trying to harness the same spell as Twilight in Magical Mystery Cure, except it backfired horribly. It's possible that it altered him in horrifying ways - such as turning him into Discord. If this is true, him appearing at the Starswirl exhibition in "Three's a Crowd" would be rather awesome foreshadowing, and I'd applaud the writers for doing so.

If he turns out not to be Starswirl, that would be alright as well. Though I would like to know more about both Starswirl and Discord in general - history, even the history of fictional worlds, fascinates me.

Holy cow...  what if?

This is a very plausible theory, and I want it to be true.

What if Discord had altered reality in a way that no one even remembered that he had been Starswirl the Bearded?  

Oh!  Wait!  You know how Celestia seems to care about Discord for some weird unexplained reason that none of the other ponies understand or like?  This theory could actually explain that!!!  The reason she wanted to try and reform Discord instead of just keeping him locked up for the rest of eternity is because he was her student, and she cares about him.  :o

*My jaw just dropped so hard...*

This again? 

Those lines have been floating around for more than a year. They don't write scripts more than a year in advance. The lines are a hoax, plain and simple.

Discord is NOT Starswirl.

Edited by Fluttershutter

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the thread alive! Yes, I think that Discord is Starswirl the Bearded. I know many people are complaining it'd be an ass pull if it would happen but I say not at all! There was foreshadowing. Look at Three's a Crowd. Discord and Starswirl were mentioned in the same episode. Also, Discord is Starswirls candle, and he is trying to get them away from the Starswirl con. I think Meghan McCarthy and the guy who posted the lines on 4Chan are both lying.

What Discord actually Star Swirled the Bearded.......i doubt that.  From what i hear from the show, Star Swirled the bearded seems to be a loner, only focusing on his studies.  As well as using magic wisely.  Discord on the other hand, abuses such a power.

• 2 months later...

Apparently there is some stuff outside the show which disproves Discord being Star Swirl.. but think of how cool it would be!!

Star Swirl, a brilliant magician, was preparing some <enter clichéd spell that improves life in Equestria tenfold> but the spell backfired! He was transformed into a draconequus, a.k.a Discord. Discord was never able to find a way to turn back into the unicorn he once was.. he decided to live life in his draconequus form for better or worse.

Also, there's nothing that doesn't suggest that Star Swirl was a wise-cracking, brilliant, troublemaker when he was a unicorn.

And remember, outside the show isn't the same as inside the show :) It could still happen!!

Starswirl is a unicorn, and Discord a draconequus.

Celestia said he never understood the magic of friendship, which isn't Discord's case.

It seems obvious this isn't the same person.

The day Discord is revealed to be Starswirl the Bearded will be the day, I'll here a thousand voices within the force coming from Fanfiction.net, screaming in rage at the destruction of their head fanon.

• Brohoof 1

If discord were starswirl, it would definitely vindicate some of the way Luna was in the third season opener with twilight. 

This is one of those things that would fit like a glove if they decided to swing things that way, but could just as well go in another direction.

• Brohoof 1

There is a rumor that Discord is apparently Star Swirl the Bearded,

Link: http://eqmegathreads.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/rumor-possible-discord-lines.html

It seems a little far-fetched at first but the evidence seems to really add up.

It would most likely be the season finale methinks.

No, I feel the Season 4 final cleared this answer up, when Discord had his magic drained. Had he at one point been Starswirl, then he should have reverted back, once his magic was gone.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's something that will probably never be confirmed or denied, and always be only a "rumour", but it's one of those rumours I will gladly believe in my happy little mind. It helps that it would make sense. Mostly.

Edited by Jessper

Oh man, I don't think he's Star Swirl. I hope they don't pull an Obi-Wan Star-Swirly moment in Season 5.

No, I feel the Season 4 final cleared this answer up, when Discord had his magic drained. Had he at one point been Starswirl, then he should have reverted back, once his magic was gone.

Very valid and true. If I recall Celestia refers to Star Swirl as never understanding the true meaning of friendship, and clearly in the Fluttershy episode Discord has. They're too different entities by this statement.

Unless the theory of a tragic accident was mentioned before, isn't Starswirl the Bearded supposed to be a unicorn?

• 2 months later...

That'd be interesting, but I don't think that's the case. I mean, I like the idea but it's been two years since those lines have been released, and the Twilights Kingdom 2 parter also disproved it seems.

Clover the clever is a student of Starswirl, no?

No allicorns were mentioned in the making of the Hearths' Warming Day episode.  (except the flag)

My thought:  That was pre-history.  History only began post Discord, due to the fact that he ended up messing with history.  The Equestria flag the 3 pony groups used was totally different.

But, if that were so, Starswirl is dead before Celestia is born.  Or before Discord takes over.

I don't think he is. Why would history regard them as two different people? Starswirl is kinda like a hero and Discord is seen as a villain. I'm still not convinced, all the "oh look stars that DEFINITELY means he was starswirl" like, no you sound like alex jones for gods sakes. stars dont mean anything.

i would say celestia also failed to mention it when she first talked about discord, but i guess celestia is a bit off on her history considering she told twilight that her banishing her own sister was just a myth.