Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

To open, or not to open?

)NightmareLulamoon(

66 users have voted

1. 1. Open the packages or not?

• Open and display them in whatever arrangement I want
    • Leave them in the packaging and display as is

So, for christmas I got the toys r us collectors pack with nightmare moon and six other ponies in it and the pony schoolpals +cheerilee/royal castle friends sets, but I don't know if I should open the packaging to display them (so I can set Nightmare moon next to celestia) or keep them in the packaging to display them :/ some of my friends say yes and some say no..

If you don't open them, the upside is that they'll last longer and retain more value, the downside is that you can't pose them the way you'd like.

I really don't have any way to tell you, I'd recommend not opening them but in the end it's up to you.

• Brohoof 5

It's all about Money! Money! Money!!

money_tree5.jpg

20120424_01-throwing-away-money.jpg

Money_by_Venomspartan.png

smart-money-saving.jpg

Nah, Leave them in their packages, that way they will sky-rocket in value in a few years :P then you can make PROFIT PROFIT!

• Brohoof 5

I never understood keeping toys in packages. I got those sets, and took them out of the packaging. I hate how they are displayed in the package, and I have minor OCD.

• Brohoof 2

I took them out of their packaging. The boxes are just too bulky. You also can't arrange them with your other ponies. If you intend on reselling them or they come in a cool looking box (Zecora and Ditzy) I'd leave them in the box, otherwise take them out.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what you want to do with them really. If you plan on keeping the entire set in cold storage and reselling it a few years from now, then you should keep them in the box because "mint" equals money. If you just plan on displaying them on your desk or shelf, than why keep them in the suffocating packaging? My advice?

Open it. Open it. Open it. Open it.

Open it.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly, those sets are probably too common to be worth much even in a perfectly mint, unopened box, and it'd be many years before they begin to become valuable anyway. The only MLP product that's been released that would probably be significantly more valuable in an unopened box is the Comic Con Derpy anyway. Long story short, OPEN IT!!!! :D

• Brohoof 2

I've run into the same issue. I was lucky enough to score a Derpy. Part of me wants to take her out of the box and have her sit on my desk. The other part of me realizes she is a bit rare and I want to keep her in “mint” condition.

For now I'm keeping her in the box because once she has been removed it would be hard to put her back in.

One option might be to buy another set, depending on cost, and keep that set as mint and set up the the other for display.

Well that's my two bits worth.

I usually just the take them out and store the boxes, MLP stuff isn't really that attractive boxed up in the packages, that, and I doubt any G4 MLP stuff is going to be rare. 

• Brohoof 1

My leaving them in the boxes has nothing to do with their potential monetary value some day. I'll never sell them. For me, the packaging is part of the item itself. Throwing the package away would feel like throwing away the item itself. So in the box they remain, for protection and for the sake of completeness.

I've never understood the keeping them in the box idea. For me the joy of having them is taking them out and displaying them in various areas of my home. So I would say take them out and enjoy them, but I realize not everyone is like me so really it comes down to personal preference. 

• 3 weeks later...

if you can wait 20-35 years when these era toys might be worth something big than i say leave them be. though what you could do is look online for another set like you got and open one while leaving the other closed. that way you will have the opportunity to pose them and keep one set in mint condition

Unless you're intending to sell them, just take them out of the box and do what you want with em' 

Toys are meant to be played with and appreciated mate, not kept in a box to suffocate.

Edited by Fresh Meat
  • Brohoof 1

It's all about Money! Money! Money!!

Nah, Leave them in their packages, that way they will sky-rocket in value in a few years :P then you can make PROFIT PROFIT!

This post needs more pictures of money. ;)

I've gotten a few toys here and there, when I had a few extra bucks lying around I'd go pick one up from Walmart or something. For me, I'm never actually going to "play" with them, they're pretty much just decoration. They'll retain their condition much better and be near-mint for years to come for my viewing pleasure staying in the boxes. Plus, as has been mentioned, if for some reason, someday, they become valuable, then they're worth much more if they've never been opened.

• Brohoof 1

IDEA! Go to Toys R Us, and buy me a pack a second pack :D 

That way, if you want to pose your characters in whatever way pleases you, then you can do.

And if you're worried about not taking them out of the packet, or you don't want to take them out of the packet but don't like the way they are posed IN the package, then you can hide the packaged bundle away. 

But...then you have two pony packages...that would be worth twice as much if you didn't open them...

Ugh, I hate conflict.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on how well you're gonna treat them, if you know you will take good care of them outside the boxing, then open them, if you don't trust yourself to be better than the box, then keep them inside. One way or another, you will most likely benefit more from posing them any way you want, it will be more fun that way.

Just open them. But we you do open them, be sure to do it carefully! This way, if you take the toys out, you can always put them back in when needed. :) Plus, who wouldn't want to display their awesome MLP toys freely? :D Just open them, and try to open the package to where you can always put them back in (if possible). 

Have fun with those!! :)

For me, if I find a pony or something I really REALLY want to display, restyle, or otherwise have out of the stuffy box, BUT also would like to have preserved nice and safe in its box, I buy an extra if possible. If that's a possibility for you, that is. I know my TRU has consistently kept that favorite's set in stock, so it was no big deal if I needed to save money for the extra set. Just depends on your situation on how badly you want to touch the pony hehe  ^_^