Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn a good thing?

pleasedontcomeback

357 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilicorn is good or bad news?

• Good!
    • BAD!
    • Idk, as long as the show goes on.

While I respectfully disagree on the subject of Alicorn Twilight (I think that there are definitely ways in which this could fail which have me concerned)  I can say with certainty that you are far from alone in your opinion around here. 

http://mlpforums.com/topic/50881-do-you-support-twilicorn-new-poll/

Check out the poll in this thread.  More than twice as many in support of Twilicorn than against.

• Brohoof 1

While I respectfully disagree on the subject of Alicorn Twilight (I think that there are definitely ways in which this could fail which have me concerned)  I can say with certainty that you are far from alone in your opinion around here. 

http://mlpforums.com/topic/50881-do-you-support-twilicorn-new-poll/

Check out the poll in this thread.  More than twice as many in support of Twilicorn than against.

wow...guess it's just the sites i've been going on. that is really reassuring ^-^ but so as to not be forming an uninformed opinion, why are you against?

This makes me want to ask a similar question, in partial relation, am I the only person who liked *all* of Season 3 and wishes people would stop complaining about the supposed "decrease" in quality? The show is not ruined and bronies shall live on!

• Brohoof 2

Nope. I actually love it. Twilight achieving something this grand puts a smile on my face. To me, it is a testament to all she has done so far, which I think is quite neat that a show like this can make me feel that way.

Now I cannot wait unil seaso--Oh wait! That's gonna be a while.

• Brohoof 4

wow...guess it's just the sites i've been going on. that is really reassuring ^-^ but so as to not be forming an uninformed opinion, why are you against?

It provides unnecessary challenge for the writers and is something really suited better for the end of the series, not the end of one season.  I'm never really a big fan of closing a character's story arc prematrely and starting a new one.  I dunno, it's never the same for me. 

As for the unnecessary challenges...  Things are going to have to be different.  We can't just have regular old Twilight except just with wings, because then this whole ascension was pointless.  For this not to change her life and not have an impact on her friendships would ring false, and frankly they'd be ignoring the elephant in the room (or rather, the alicorn in the room).  But then if it *does* change her life and affect her friendships and change the way others look at her, then we risk losing some of the show's initial charm. 

Not enough change, and the whole thing was a futile exercise.  Too much change, and the show isn't the same.  It's possible to hit that perfect mark in the middle, but IMO there's too much room for failure. 

Plus I don't want the rest of the cast to be left in her dust here.  I liked the fact that while Twilight was super talented with magic, other ponies were also *equally* super talented in their respective skills- Rainbow Dash with her flying, Rarity with her fashion, Fluttershy and taking care of animals, etc.  But now that Twilight is an Alicorn Princess, she's on a "higher level" than they are, and I liked it better when there was a bit more balance. 

(edited)

It provides unnecessary challenge for the writers and is something really suited better for the end of the series, not the end of one season. I'm never really a big fan of closing a character's story arc prematrely and starting a new one. I dunno, it's never the same for me.

As for the unnecessary challenges... Things are going to have to be different. We can't just have regular old Twilight except just with wings, because then this whole ascension was pointless. For this not to change her life and not have an impact on her friendships would ring false, and frankly they'd be ignoring the elephant in the room (or rather, the alicorn in the room). But then if it *does* change her life and affect her friendships and change the way others look at her, then we risk losing some of the show's initial charm.

Not enough change, and the whole thing was a futile exercise. Too much change, and the show isn't the same. It's possible to hit that perfect mark in the middle, but IMO there's too much room for failure.

Plus I don't want the rest of the cast to be left in her dust here. I liked the fact that while Twilight was super talented with magic, other ponies were also *equally* super talented in their respective skills- Rainbow Dash with her flying, Rarity with her fashion, Fluttershy and taking care of animals, etc. But now that Twilight is an Alicorn Princess, she's on a "higher level" than they are, and I liked it better when there was a bit more balance.

i suppose that is a valid argument, but at the same time, the whole "People looking at her differently" could recreate the shows inital charm. the lessons learned about the friendship, how her friends learn to accept that she's changed, but she still maintains her personality as always. and really, IMO she was below everypony else in the begining except AJ, so this sorta gives her her something awesome, like how rarity has her dramaticness, pinkie pie has her randomness, fluttershy has her d'aww, rd has her...well, she's just plain her, but twi and aj have been bland from day 1 practically. aj got her redemption by just being way cooler in s3, and now twi has this going for her, sure, talent wise she's ahead, but character wise she's perfectly even with the rest in my mind. so...yeah. but all that being said, i do see why people have their problems with it now, i just felt i should give my minds justification. wow...i typed all that? Edited by DashForever
Replying to hidden content

(edited)

Twilight is a Spore creature!? Plot Twist!

Anyway, in regards to her being more powerful/important: Which two ponies not tending to their jobs caused the most frackus? Certainly was not twilight. Without Dash and Pinkie, the entire town was more chaotic then even Discord could have hoped to make it.

Sure, Twi is powerful, she has mojo, but that doesn't mean she is necessarily useful on a regular basis. It's like having the ability to change every light bulb in the world, at once. How often is that a valid talent? I mean, it's great, don't get me wrong, but seriously. (In case I made my point to obscure, as I am known to do, the major villains of the show are the light bulbs.)

/rant off

Edit: I should mention that I have no problems with her new form. I really doubt it will make much difference other than wings everywhere. Flappy flappy!

Edited by Flying Space Badger

(edited)

I once remember someone on this message board telling me that I'm bipolar, where one moment I'm acceptant toward Princess Twilicorn, the next moment I'm in frequent, stubborn, and completely relentless denial. Well, to be honest, I do have bipolar disorder, and is even taking pills like Fanapt to help me get over that mental disorder.

I mean, I can understand the benefits for Twilight's ascension to royalty. As the third leader of Equestria, Twilight can unite millions of ponies in Equestria under a banner of friendship, and spread more of that friendship than even Celestia and Luna combined. Plus, even when bogged down by the kingdom's problems, she's still the same egghead bookworm she's always been since the beginning, and can still be with her friends when off-duty. It's just that she has wings, grew taller, and can now determine the fate of Equestria with her newly earned leadership.

Long story short, I'm getting what I want, and that's Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey done with ponies, just as I had that same enjoyable storyline with other franchises like the Mass Effect trilogy. And trust me, I'm a huge, huge fanboy of Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey, and how it's applied to other storylines, like the aforementioned Mass Effect trilogy.

But at the same time, I can't ignore the downsides to this. Basically, Twilight earned her cutie-mark after learning that she loves studying, not because she can rule over Equestria even with her friendship. However, by turning her into a princess, they also developed the potential to keep her away from both her original love for studying, which was what her own cutie-mark represented, as well as her friends. There are millions of ponies in Equestria and only one of Twilight; she abandons her throne either to study or hang out with her friends, and that would also mean abandoning her new subjects.

Her new position as princess might also end up alienating her from her friends. Even though they helped Twilight become a princess and became proud for her as a result, the other five main ponies might eventually become regretful for doing so, and feel rejected by her in the upcoming S4 premiere. That means one of two possibilities might happen in the S4 premiere:

1. Twilight learns that her royal status means nothing compared to her friends, and that she would end up resigning from royalty to be with them again.

2. Her friends learn that Twilight will always be the same egghead bookworm they knew and love, and that they would become more acceptant toward her new status.

All that, plus she's taller, her horn's bigger, and her wings are larger than Rainbow's and Fluttershy's, which might make her feel like the complete odd-duck amongst the Mane Six. It's one thing to give Twilight the title of princess, but it's another to outright change her species and size to reflect that promotion.

Odds are, I might throw another Anti-Twilicorn tantrum over this, because again, I'm bipolar. But at the same time, I need to learn to be more realistic, that is find the benefits and the drawbacks, rather than either one or the other. Otherwise, I could end up destroying myself if I'm either manic and euphoric, or depressed and angry, especially on something like Princess Twilicorn.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

I'm new here, but every other site i've been on i've seen people screaming about how making the main character even /more/ powerful is "Killing the show!" because logic or something. am i theonly one around here that's happy about the world of possibilities here? and moreso the brilliance of how they did it?

I have merged your thread with an already existing thread, since the purpose of both is the same. Please check to see if a suitable thread already exists before creating your own. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

In all Honesty, it seems like you're making a pretty big deal about Twilicorn. If you are Bi-Polar, Twilicorn should probably be considered the least of your worries.

Big ups for trying to change it though, it takes a strong character to do something like that.

In all Honesty, it seems like you're making a pretty big deal about Twilicorn. If you are Bi-Polar, Twilicorn should probably be considered the least of your worries.

Big ups for trying to change it though, it takes a strong character to do something like that.

When you said "big ups for trying to change it," were you referring to Twilight's ascension to alicorn princess, or me and my admittance for having bipolar disorder?

When you said "big ups for trying to change it," were you referring to Twilight's ascension to alicorn princess, or me and my admittance for having bipolar disorder?

In hindsight, I'd probably say that the "big ups" was for more of the second option, considering it's a disorder and whatnot. But I digress...

(edited)

In hindsight, I'd probably say that the "big ups" was for more of the second option, considering it's a disorder and whatnot. But I digress...

Right now, every time I have an urge to rant and rave like a lunatic on how Princess Twilicorn will ruin the MLP show, I need to stop myself and think of the benefits to this, like how Twilight can spread friendship throughout Equestria, and unite it under her leadership like Celestia and Luna before her.  I mean, after all, I was okay with other heroes going from common nobodies to charismatic leaders, like Commander Shepard and Dragon Age: Origins' Warden protagonist.  So why couldn't I do likewise with Princess Twilicorn?

Oh, and Magical Mystery Cure was the worst episode I've saw.  The writers said it was written in November 2011, and yet it felt like it was rushed and underdeveloped.  Twilight's ascension was too sudden, had nothing to do with the plot of switching cutie-marks, and could've been saved for the series finale.  And, it was a musical, and a crappy musical, at that.  If anything, that episode might as well be the harbinger for how badly the writers will handle Princess Twilicorn.  I mean, Twilight's friends get to return to normal, while she and she alone end up as something that doesn't fit her at all?

But once again, I'm just getting angry over something that didn't happen yet, at least until S4 premieres.  The writers could use it to their advantage, or they could return her to an ordinary unicorn so that she could be with her friends and studies again.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Right now, every time I have an urge to rant and rave like a lunatic on how Princess Twilicorn will ruin the MLP show, I need to stop myself and think of the benefits to this, like how Twilight can spread friendship throughout Equestria, and unite it under her leadership like Celestia and Luna before her.  I mean, after all, I was okay with other heroes going from common nobodies to charismatic leaders, like Commander Shepard and Dragon Age: Origins' Warden protagonist.  So why couldn't I do likewise with Princess Twilicorn?

Oh, and Magical Mystery Cure was the worst episode I've saw.  The writers said it was written in November 2011, and yet it felt like it was rushed and underdeveloped.  Twilight's ascension was too sudden, had nothing to do with the plot of switching cutie-marks, and could've been saved for the series finale.  And, it was a musical, and a crappy musical, at that.  If anything, that episode might as well be the harbinger for how badly the writers will handle Princess Twilicorn.  I mean, Twilight's friends get to return to normal, while she and she alone end up as something that doesn't fit her at all?

I agree with the "Rushed" part, the pace of Magical Mystery Cure was a bit too fast. 

But you have to remember that it is part one of a three parter; meaning that Season 4's opener will be a two parter (I suspect), and that those two episodes will be full of Twilicorn, allowing for some major developments. Give it time, it'll all make sense.

(edited)

Hello everyone.

I have had a thought for a while now and I finally found a way I think to put it together.

I would like to know what you like or dislike about Twilight becoming an Alicorn.

Now, humor me for a moment.

What I want to see is one good reason to either like or dislike the change. Now, obviously, this is just a request! However. in order to avoid literal congestion I think keeping it simple will do the most good.

So! Here is my thoughts on the matter.

~

I am pro Princess Twilight.

I believe that making Twilight a princess was a fun and creative way of growth within the limitations of the telivision show that the writers wanted to portray.

~

That is it! Short, sweet, and easy! In this way, we can all read up on what everyone elses thoughts are about the topic and cover as much ground as possible without actually seeing season 4.

Happy posting!

P.S. When I say "good" reason, I mean that "I hate it because it is stupid" or "I love it because I totally called it" don't really seem like they would qualify. Hm?

Edited by Annakavanna

PROS:

Opens more possibilities for future episodes.

More mythology for future episodes.

I like the style of wings they chosen.

Can take the show on a more advanced layer and bring the show to it's full potential

CONS:

Happened out of no where.

I see this as a blessing, because this will effect the show's theme in a good way.

Thanks and bro hoof /)

Snip

I have merged your topic with this already existing one, since the purpose of both is the same. Please use the search function to check if a suitable thread already exists before creating your own.

I like the direction this could go in. It allows the formula to be changed and go into another direction. The thing is we do not know if Twilicorn was planned or force by Hasbro's hand, but we do know that the show will have more time in Season 4 to flesh this out. So I can't say fully if the show will improve or degrade with 4. But I like to be optismistic and hope for the best in the grayer areas inbetween seasons. I'm fine with the change and really it is vauge with her being a princess at this point. Related to biology with Cadence being just a bit older than Twilight and seems to age normally so I picture Twilight still being mortal, but with wings now.

I have merged your topic with this already existing one, since the purpose of both is the same. Please use the search function to check if a suitable thread already exists before creating your own.

I was aware this topic existed. I just feel that it is a little too convoluted.

I wanted a more stream lined thread just for simple answers. This defeats that purpose.

In addition to expressing my own actual opinion (anti-Alicorn Twilight), I'm going to play a little Devil's Advocate here too:

Con: Creates an imbalance in the cast, could make Twilight Sparkle harder to relate to, creates unnecessary risk of spoiling an already good, well established formula

Pro: Does offer new story and character development opportunities.

I think that the possibility of something good is there, but there's too much risk involved. Why ruin what we already know is a good thing?

I've heard to many complaints on this.  I am going to explain exactly why Twi-licorn Sparkle is a good thing.

1. Twilight can develope on a much larger scale.

What is in store for Twilight's future?  Emmisary to the dragons?  With Spike as her ambassitor?  Taking on a student of her own?  Learning how to teach others the lessons she's learned?  Arguments that this is the end of her character development are not based on logic.  Anyone who says alicorn Twilight can't develope anymore, I'd like you to meet Luna.

2. Explains Celestia and Luna's family.

Where are the alicorn King and Queen?  Simple.  They were just unicorns.  Why isn't Blueblood an alicorn?  Because he is to much of a self-absorbed jerk to understand friendship.  Who is Cadence?  Probably Celestia's previous student.

3. Explains why 1,000 years ago was such a crazy time.

Celestia and Luna were probably the first alicorns.  Before then, there really wasn't anypony who could stand against the likes of Sombra or Discord.

4. Gives insight on all Celestia's friendship lessons.

Now it makes sense for Celestia to let those awkward situations occure that she could have solved easily.  She wanted Twilight to discover the answers for herself, because that was the only way to become a true alicorn.

5. Hints at more of the history of Equestria.

Clears up a few inconsistancies that were there and implies that more happened than we currently are aware of.  Obviously, the form of government they tried before didn't work, hence the current "wing-ocracy".

Honestly, I can't see why so many people think this is the end for the show.  Sure it was handled ham-handedly, but that doesn't make it a bad idea.

• Brohoof 1

That is assuming that they do this right which is a bit too soon to tell as they botched the season finale big time but still have a chance to turn it around in the season 4 premier.

I'm having a feeling this will just be something they'll try and find a way to redact. Twilight is much harder to animate as an alicorn (The work with her wings in the finale was sketchy at some parts).

Probably some bullcrap like having to sacrifice her powers to save her friends.

I'm starting to warm up to alicorn a lot. I think the design is extremely attractive but I am trying to remain neutral for the most part and see what the show gives us. The end of season 3 was just OK for me but I am trying to keep my head up and believe that it will all work out.

I was extremely disappointed by the season 3 finale, i hope they make up for it in season 4, personally i'd like to see a situation where the mane 6 start out the premier separated