Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tara on Alicorn Twilight: "It’s not going to change the feel of the show"

JESmith

There has been a recent interview with Tara where she discusses Alicorn Twilight and that it may not have much of an effect on the show's dynamic:

(Source: http://www.themarysue.com/tara-strong-interview/)

TMS: To the current news, [spoiler ALERT] fandom is reacting strongly to Twilight Sparkle becoming a Princess very soon. We don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a Princess, but we do see them a lot in children’s shows and movies. Will Twilight be a stereotypical Princess or something more?

Strong: Well the good news is, Twilight is going to stay Twilight. She is overwhelmed and surprised and grateful for this new phase in her life but it’s not going to change how she is or how she interacts with her friends, she’s staying in Ponyville. I’m certainly not changing any of my performance and it’s really the same Twilight except she can do more stuff now. She can fly…it’s not going to change the overall feel of the show, she’s going to be with the Mane 6.

It’s just Twilight but a little bit better, she can do more stuff! But overall, it’s not really going to change that much. I think that’s what everybody’s afraid of, that it’s going to change sort of that core element that everyone fell in love with these six characters and that’s not going to change at all. I’m not changing a thing about my performance.

Edited by JESmith
  • Brohoof 42

Because

One pony suddenly transforming into an almighty god being doesn't change anything.

It doesn't matter, the show has changed already, at least for me it has, it's different than the first season, it doesn't feel the same as it used to.

• Brohoof 24

Because

One pony suddenly transforming into an almighty god being doesn't change anything.

It doesn't matter, the show has changed already, at least for me it has, it's different than the first season, it doesn't feel the same as it used to.
Ohoho! Is funny because some people are stuck in the mindset that all alicorns are gods because two of them can raise celestial bodies at will when ordinary unicorns could do the same thing before they rose to power over a thousand years ago, and that Twilight has already displayed immeasurable magical power she can use to do all sorts of things with relative ease to intense difficulty because she's still young and learning! Ohhh... Edited by immblueversion
  • Brohoof 23

Pinkazoid: Does that mean it's changed for the worse? I don't think so. In fact quite the contrary. It's grown with the fans, and diversified the stories and message, and improved its style. If it HAD remained the same as Season 1, it would have become stale.

Change is good, yo.

• Brohoof 16

See, the writers know what their doing. Twilight becoming an alicorn won't change the show, and she still have her same personality. So to all those who were worrying: MLP will be MLP, the show won't be destroyed because of Twilight becoming an alicorn. ;)

I trusted the writers when I heard about this, and now especially after reading this I know they'll do a good job in continuing the show. :) The only thing that'll change is Twilight having wings. And that'll be cool to see, I'd love to see RD giving her some flying tips! :D So I think that this brings up a lot of positive things to the show, instead of bad. 

Edited by Pixiesong
  • Brohoof 16

@@immblueversion,

She might as well be a god, because HEY IT WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING AT ALL, SHE'LL STILL LIVE A NORMAL LIFE, RIGHT?

@@soulofthereaver,  

Not always, I've been watching the show since the first season, it used to be about friendship, compare any episode from season 1 to season 3, the old episodes were about solving problems as friends, now it's just who gets what and who doesn't.

Edited by Pinkazoid!

Because

They never say Alicorns are God-like. Cadence has no special powers, yet she is an Alicorn. That probably means Twilight will stay Twilight.

• Brohoof 15

Not always, I've been watching the show since the first season, it used to be about friendship, compare any episode form season 1 to season 3, the old episodes were about solving problems as friends, now it's just who gets what and who doesn't.

How is a season finale about how friendship builds up the best qualities in you, helps you learn to be a better person, and ultimately lets you make more of yourself than you could have otherwise been not about friendship anymore?

Or magic duel where the lesson was how friends and a little smarts help you where raw power cannot. Or the season opener where you are taught to set aside personal glory and let your friends carry the day for the sake of others. Or the discord episode that teaches you how sometimes valuing a friendship is more important than getting your way all the time.

I'm seeing some of the show's most poignant lessons on friendship right here in season 3. How come you're missing them?

Edited by soulofthereaver
  • Brohoof 12

They never say Alicorns are God-like. Cadence has no special powers, yet she is an Alicorn. That probably means Twilight will stay Twilight.

I agree she will most likly be the protector of PonyVille as Cadance is the protector of the Crystal Empire. I don't think that her changing in to a Princess will change anything it only means that she has fulfilled her destiny. She has learned to much in friendship to give it all up, just because she has become a Princess 

• Brohoof 4

People are going to be bitter on this point but you can't help that.
Change is not always good and people have the right to feel whatever they
do on said change.

As long as the character of Twilight isn't changed more than her having wings and the season doesn't focus too much on her then we'll probably be ok.

That post does make it sound permanent though. Hope she doesn't start flying everywhere and prefers to stay grounded :P I still think a slight buff to the other 5's abilities is in order though :P

It won't change most of it atleast. But we know there'll be instances where things might come of as odd. Tara said it's Twilight, but "better". She can do more stuff now.. The whole point of the Mane Six was balancing out the three pony races so they'd all have different limits set. Twilight now has less limits than the other 5. 

But regardless of that, the S3 finale was wonderfully executed. It had an ending that was forced and went against the original ideas set for the cast. But  I know the show's staff will do their best and will most likely deliver something we can all find enjoyment in.

Edited by himanuts
  • Brohoof 1

There's a world spread theories of what Alicorns really are, they're incredibly powerful, Twilight became one of them, whether or not she's a god, it wont matter because it won't change the show at all.

How is a season finale about how friendship builds up the best qualities in you, helps you learn to be a better person, and ultimately lets you make more of yourself than you could have otherwise been not about friendship anymore?

Or magic duel where the lesson was how friends and a little smarts help you where raw power cannot. Or the season opener where you are taught to set aside personal glory and let your friends carry the day for the sake of others. Or the discord episode that teaches you how sometimes valuing a friendship is more important than getting your way all the time.

I'm seeing some of the show's most poignant lessons on friendship right here in season 3. How come you're missing them?

The last episode, as an example of friendship? I could of said the magic of being true to yourself helped her get there, and it would of still worked, the characters didn't even talk. Seriously. Pinkie had less lines than King Sombra. 

You're not seeing this from my point of view.

Look at I don't know, ehhh, Sonic Rainboom, one of the friends was the problem, one had a problem, and the rest helped her solve the problem, you don't see that in episodes nowadays, it's just I have a problem, I'll solve it by myself.

Magic Duel was actually gonna be a season 2 episode. That explains it.

Edited by Pinkazoid!
  • Brohoof 1

Even though I'm neither for nor against Twilicorn at this point, and am trying with every fiber of my being to keep it that way until Season 4 premiers (part of me is trying to pull me to the side that's against it, as I was before, but I'm trying to stay impartial), I'm going to say this:

Talk is cheap.

I think it is niave to say that everything will stay 100% the same. If that were the case, then this wouldn't have happened at all, right? Something has gotta give, it just has to be the right things (while at the same time the right things staying the same), to make this work. As it stands we don't know anything about what is changing and what is staying the same, but I have my hopes.

I hope that "princesshood" is simply a form of knighting, and that Twilight isn't actually a political princess at this point, but is more along the lines of a Dame, and if she is princess of anything, she is the princess of an idea (like magic). If that's the case, then she could pretty much continue on with her daily life, studying magic in the hoofsteps of Starswirl the Bearded, and become a great wizard like he was, but better, because she can finish what he started.

If they want to make her a political princess, then I don't know how they are going to keep her the same old Twilight. Humble, adorkable Twilight is simply incompatible with the qualities that it takes to be in a position of large-scale power. If that's where they want to take her, then she will be forced to change, and Tara would be lying.

At this point, all we can do is ask questions. 

• Brohoof 9

Look at I don't know, ehhh, Sonic Rainboom, one of the friends was the problem, one had a problem, and the rest helped her solve the problem, you don't see that in episodes nowadays, it's just I have a problem, I'll solve it by myself.

it seems like your implying that that independence is bad? is it bad that they are able to solve their own problems? that was one of my problems with season 1, twilight ran around solving everything

• Brohoof 2

I felt like the last episode was not really a lesson about friendship, but an award for Twilight.

Like Celestia said, she has learned a lot since she came to Ponyville, and for her great studies of the Magic of Friendship she became an Alicorn.

But hey, we all don't know what will happen. Let's just see.

I think, after reading this interview, that it doesn't really change Twilight. She has wings, that's it, nopony said that because you're an Alicorn you suddenly have way more power than before ;)

I just hope they have some more episodes without that dress.. I mean, I REALLY like Alicorn-Twilight, but I hate the new outfit.. Her appearance in Ponyville was way better!

it seems like your implying that that independence is bad? is it bad that they are able to solve their own problems? that was one of my problems with season 1, twilight ran around solving everything

FRIENDSHIP is magic

SO WHAT'S THE NEXT NAME GONNA BE?

Independence is Magic?

sure we can't rely on our friends all the time, but seriously, it's annoying to see people say the show is still about them helping each other out.

I think Twilight becoming a princess is amazing because to me she has earned the title as she finished a spell and as the princess said she's learned more about friendship that Startswirl could ever

• Brohoof 2

A common Mary Sue trait is the other characters not being jealous of the Sue's gifts even under circumstances where it would be perfectly justifiable.

I find a bit hard to believe that none of the mane 6 is ever going to bring up that Twilight alone was rewarded for what was a group effort. You certainly don't learn the magic of friendship by yourself, that's for sure.

Twilight knowing how to fly right from the start while Fluttershy and especially Scootaloo have been struggling with that just adds salt to the injury.

Everything boils down to Twilight being rewarded too much, too soon -- the fact this is not acknowledged in-universe makes the matter worse, not better.

Jealousy isn't something the show hasn't already dealt with (see: "Green isn't your color"), so I can see an episode where Twilight's "reward" is put into question working well.

Edited by SharkJump
  • Brohoof 6

Twilight Sparkle becomeing a princess is I expedted Twilight become a princess all the clues were there. Frist when twilight was small fill she had a powerful magic in a small age. And celestia took twilight to teach her about magic. Look like the show leading to. All my opinion is I can't wait to see Twilight Sparkle to be come a Princess. I a Twilight Fan I Hope they do make her a Princess. :)

Will that SAID FOX801 SIGN OUT!! B)

• Brohoof 2

I don't have any love or hatred for Twilight as an alicorn, though I'm concerned how this will fit in with a season 4.  For example, Tara says that Twilight is still staying in Ponyville.  Why?  Shouldn't she be in Canterlot, or some other city?  Ponyville seems like a rather small and unimportant town in the longrun, why would they need an alicorn princess there?  Does every city and small town now need a princess?  What about Phillydelphia, Manehattan, and Cloudsdale?  Do they need their own alicorn?  Or Sweet Apple Acres, should they have an alicorn?

Bah, I best not think about it now, because we're not getting canon answers until season 4.  

Edited by Antismurf9001

Saying this won't change anything is naive. Twilight is a princess now, so she's either going to have actual responsibilities that will interfere with her old life, or the cast is just going to ignore the elephant in the room and try to pretend it wasn't significant, which is just bad story telling.

• Brohoof 6

There we go, as I expected. I have said it a lot of times already and I will say it again, I am one of those people that is hoping that Twilicorn stays. This quote may very well confirm that.

There is absolutely no reason for the show to dramatically change because of this so there isn't a need to go back now. Yes, she is a princess, but Luna and Celestia are still around, so she doesn't need to concentrate on royal duties all the time, if she even has any. She could stay in Ponyville for the same reason. Canterlot has two princesses currently, so Twilight could probably stay in Ponyville. I like the idea that was mentioned before, she could be the protector of Ponyville. That is an excellent idea.

Come on writers, I know that this can work. For many reasons, I really want princess Twilight to stay.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 2

I think the writers could use the whole Alicorn thing

for some good humor in the story.   Like knocking over things

with her wings or etc.   I mean Twilight is that sort of awkward cute and

also in those Royal Events shes going to have to do. 

One good ep would maybe having Dash and Flutter teaching her

to fly!  Given the flying styles of each of them would be a fun

contest between the two!

• Brohoof 1

Well Twilight becoming an alicorn will not change the show at all, Tara is right.

Even though your change is physically, it will not change who you are.

It is not so much her personality changing that has me worried it is her becoming way too powerful way too quickly and how these new powers and responsibilities are going to fit into the context of the show that has me worried. Even the weakest alicorn is a lot more powerful than your typical unicorn and Twilight was already far more powerful than your typical unicorn to begin with but since it was the result of years of training along with her natural talent it was understandable. So that and her already being the element of magic will give an enormous power boost, and much of whether or not this will actually work depends on how they handle that. If handled correctly Twilight could learn slowly over the course of a few seasons how to control this power,

• Brohoof 2