Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Twilight's transition to alicorn princess be permanent?

Commander_PonyShep

380 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilight's princesshood be temporary or permanent?

• Temporary
    • Permanent

For me, Hell no.  By the time the two-part Season Four premiere comes out, it's going to be a save-the-world story like previous season premieres, except this time it'll have Twilight sacrifice her wings and princesshood to save her friends from whatever evil threat the writers pit her against.

Besides, if you're going to turn Twilight into a princess, you might as well turn Rarity into a world-famous fashion designer, and Rainbow Dash into a Wonderbolt, while making both those characters leave each other and their other friends behind to do so.  If Twilight's gonna break up with the Mane Six, the rest might as well do so, too... except maybe Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie, because they'll probably stay in Ponyville for their own reasons (animals, farm-life, and "hey, why not", respectively).

And yes, I'm still struggling to get over the shock of seeing Twilight become a princess.  And yes, I'd rather the humanized ponies from Equestria Girls, than Princess Twilight, because at the very least the former doesn't break continuity like the latter.

• Brohoof 15

Well, Wonderbolt Academy looks like it was originally intended to be the end of Rainbow's dream in order to avoid the problem of her leaving the group. But then they tacked on the reversal at the end where it turned out the Wonderbolts really were as cool as she always thought. So, I'm kind of expecting her to become a full member in season 4 since it's hard to justify why she hasn't already.

Rarity has always wanted to live in Canterlot, and Twilight is probably missing her old home even aside from potential royal duties, so that makes 3 of the group drawn there. Fluttershy would probably love to live in the castle garden and care for the animals there. Pinkie could run a party planning business. The snooty Canterlot ponies weren't too happy about her going wild at the gala and garden party, but her wedding reception went over well so I think she could enjoy it.

Applejack is the biggest problem. She could run a restaurant, but does that mean Apple Bloom, Granny Smith, and Big Mac all move too? Who runs the old farm then? Flim and Flam? Babs' parents? Or maybe Big Mac finally marries Cheerilee, and only Applejack and Apple Bloom move to Canterlot? But that's still sad breaking up the family...

Bottom line, I think season 5 (or end of season 4) should involve a move, to keep things fresh, and resolve the potential future separations that have been known since the very first episode.

• Brohoof 5

I don't know why people are getting so upset over Twilight having wings. There are so may wishful thinking threads popping up with people tossing out all kinds of scenarios where they'll be taken right back after one episode. WHY? It's supposed to be her true destiny. Why would they set that up and then say, "Oops, sorry, rip them suckers off!" 

• Brohoof 18

I don't know why people are getting so upset over Twilight having wings. There are so may wishful thinking threads popping up with people tossing out all kinds of scenarios where they'll be taken right back after one episode. WHY? It's supposed to be her true destiny. Why would they set that up and then say, "Oops, sorry, rip them suckers off!" 

But that begs the question: is her true destiny to be an alicorn or a princess? I feel that you can be an alicorn without being a princess. Perhaps Twilight might be the first non-princess Alicorn.

But anyway, we don't know if she's going to be permanent or temporary. Next season will most likely answer our questions. We just have to be patient.

• Brohoof 3

I'm not really upset over the fact she is an Alicorn, It's more of how she went about doing so. That last test seemed kind of trivial, naturally any smart pony would have done the same thing. I mean sure she ssaved kingdoms and such, why not make her an Alicorn back after season 1, I just feel the last test felt cheap and too easy.

• Brohoof 1

But that begs the question: is her true destiny to be an alicorn or a princess? I feel that you can be an alicorn without being a princess. Perhaps Twilight might be the first non-princess Alicorn.

I think it fits. All of the others were already doing or working toward their dreams from the beginning, but poor Twilight was just a student, with no real plans past that. What else would she be? A teacher? That sort of wastes her power. A knight? But that sort of wastes her knowledge. The most insanely powerful and knowledgeable librarian of all time? Talk about an anticlimactic life for the personal student of a 1000+ year old princess.

Makes perfect sense for her to be a princess herself, using her knowledge and empathy to guide the kingdom, and magical ability to defend it when necessary. But that doesn't mean she has to devote all of her time to it, especially right away. Celestia ran the country all alone for 1000 years. Now there are 4 princesses. I don't think there's going to be an abundance of government work for Twilight to do.

Edited by dekutree64
  • Brohoof 5

I have been against this from the beginning and the finale did nothing to ease those worries, but even I agree that changing her back just as quickly as she was changed in the first place would make absolutely no sense whatsoever. This thing was born a bastard and the finale may have been the worst episode ever but the good news is there is still time to smooth this out and actually make this actually work.

I'm going with my gut and saying it's permanent.  For now.  :P

Actually, I don't have a clue.  There are products that are scheduled for release in the future that continue to show Twilight as a unicorn.  There is a credible citation of this somewhere in this forum.  I can't recall where exactly but I know I'm not making it up. 

The beginning of Magical Mystery Cure showed that unexpected events can change a pony's destiny.  We also know that if it were for the best, Twilight wouldn't hesitate to hand over her wings and her tiara. 

Then again, we are starting a brand new chapter.  The original series story arc has run its course.  The thing that irks me the most is that the formula of a perfect group of six equally talented (albeit in different ways) ponies no longer applies. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 1

Makes me wonder what exactly Lauren Faust had planned for her in the first place. Which was fueled by her recent tweet "I had plans for Twilight but what I wanted is irrelevant now & I don't want to undermine what the writers are doing currently". Part of me wishes to know, the other rather doesn't because i actually might like that version more than the current one and feel saddened by it, you know, what could've been still lingers. Where would she be now? ...

• Brohoof 9

I'm not really upset over the fact she is an Alicorn, It's more of how she went about doing so. That last test seemed kind of trivial, naturally any smart pony would have done the same thing. I mean sure she ssaved kingdoms and such, why not make her an Alicorn back after season 1, I just feel the last test felt cheap and too easy.

Don't forget, this was as much Twilight's friends' journey as much as it was Twilight's. By turning Twilight into a princess, they're also making her friends feel irrelevant, namely by leaving them who they still are while Twilight is the one getting a massive overhaul. I mean, what about Rainbow Dash's dream of becoming captain of the Wonderbolts, or Rarity's dream of becoming a world-famous fashion-designer? What about Fluttershy's kindness to her animals, or Applejack's hard, honest farm-work and family values? And let's not forget about Pinkie Pie and her unpredictable sense of humor.

When you're going to give a hero a group of companions, you need to give them as much significance as you can, aside from just helping out the hero (or doing nothing if you consider Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, and Yu-Gi-Oh's companion characters). And besides, I don't care about what the writers said about "keeping Twilight true to herself"; if they can lie about Derpy's disappearance (because she made an appearance for the S3 finale), then surely they might lie about Twilight "staying true to herself even as a princess."

The two-part S4 premiere isn't even out yet, either, so we don't know if the writers will stay true to their word and make Twilight "remain true to herself", let alone ditch the wings and title to be with her friends again.

• Brohoof 3

I have no idea, and I can definitely see it going either way.  I will say that I would actually find it kind of annoying if it was only temporary, especially if she changes back in the S4 premiere.  While I don't really care for Twilicorn, making a decision to change the main protagonist in such a major way and then saying, "Nope!  Just kidding!" is a little bit irritating to me.  Unless of course they pull it off well and in a way that doesn't feel like that.

Edited by Antismurf9001
  • Brohoof 2

Look it's very simple. Twilight and her friends fight off the big bad in the start of season 4 then they come to Canterlot and Princess Celestia says. "Very good Twilight, you've proven yourself as the Princess of Friendship!"

Then Twilight Replies "Thank you Princess Celestia! Can I stay in Ponyville so I can continue to study the magic of Friendship since that's kind of hard to do long distance?" 

Then Celestia agrees and Twilight moves back to Ponyville and life continues except ponies come to her when they have trouble.

Or, (Light bulb!) Maybe what ever is causing the Everfree forest to be so scary is the big bad of season 4 and once he is defeated Twilight moves into a rebuilt Everfree castle. 

• Brohoof 5

Look it's very simple. Twilight and her friends fight off the big bad in the start of season 4 then they come to Canterlot and Princess Celestia says. "Very good Twilight, you've proven yourself as the Princess of Friendship!"

Then Twilight Replies "Thank you Princess Celestia! Can I stay in Ponyville so I can continue to study the magic of Friendship since that's kind of hard to do long distance?" 

Then Celestia agrees and Twilight moves back to Ponyville and life continues except ponies come to her when they have trouble.

Or, (Light bulb!) Maybe what ever is causing the Everfree forest to be so scary is the big bad of season 4 and once he is defeated Twilight moves into a rebuilt Everfree castle. 

Hey, I like that idea! It could be the season four final (or even series final) where Twilight moves into the rebuilt castle. It's a lot closer to Ponyville than Canterlot, so all of her friends would be able to see her all the time. She has wings now. She'll be able to quickly visit any part of Ponyville.

Well, I think it'll be temporary. Like I said in another thread, she'll probably not be up to the task of being a princess and return to Ponyville.

Why would you want season for to be the "Twilight couldn't cut it" failure season? The much larger children fandom would be really upset if Twilight was granted wings, just to have them taken away. You have to face up to the Brony fandom being sort of the afterthought. They toss bones to Bronies from time to time, but it's the children that are the main audience. Little girls especially will LOVE princess Twilight! 

• Brohoof 1

Why would you want season for to be the "Twilight couldn't cut it" failure season? The much larger children fandom would be really upset if Twilight was granted wings, just to have them taken away. You have to face up to the Brony fandom being sort of the afterthought. They toss bones to Bronies from time to time, but it's the children that are the main audience. Little girls especially will LOVE princess Twilight! 

Uh, it's just my opinion. I never she'd be removed from being a princess, I said she'd resign herself because she doesn't enjoy it, and she'd move back to Ponyville by her own will.

Oh, and it's just a cartoon. I couldn't care less about what happens, really.
Edited by Vallo

Uh, it's just my opinion. I never she'd be removed from being a princess, I said she'd resign herself because she doesn't enjoy it, and she'd move back to Ponyville by her own will.

Oh, and it's just a cartoon. I couldn't care less about what happens, really.

Well, you did say you think her being an Alicorn wouldn't be permanent. To me, that's sloppy writing on the part of whoever scripts the show. Like I pointed out, they seem to be aiming at the intended little girl audience with Twilight getting wings. The Brony angst is amusing me no end here! 

Well, you did say you think her being an Alicorn wouldn't be permanent. To me, that's sloppy writing on the part of whoever scripts the show. Like I pointed out, they seem to be aiming at the intended little girl audience with Twilight getting wings. The Brony angst is amusing me no end here! 

I don't really see angst here. The only place I ever see much hate about this is when I visit 4chan or YouTube. It's kind of understandable really, since the idea is a lot to take in.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed at the production staff if they make her give up her wings or something like that...

They made it very clear that this is about evolution of the character. Now that they did it, I'd rather they stick with it.

• Brohoof 2

I wish it would be temporary. I really do, but something tells me that it's going to be premanent. Twilight is the main character, even if the all of the mane 6 get about as much attention as she does. I think it's a bit sad that Twilight is a alicorn now. I like to see the friends as equals, with their special talents and abilities, but now it is pretty clear that Twilight is something... far more valuable than the others, and I dislike it. Sure, if you're Celestia's student then you're obviously something special, but so are also the others.

However, in the last episode of season 3 everything went VERY FAST. It suprised me that they didn't make it into two episodes. I mean, Twilight transforming into an alicorn isn't something that you simply squeeze into about 25 minutes... This makes me sceptical about my own opinion to be honest. If this was permanent, it feels like they would pinpoint how important this change was. With that said, maybe you're right, it's not impossible that this is only temporary. I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Edited by Shaky Novel

I couldn't really say for now; we'll have to wait until season 4 to find out. However, I will post some reasons why it will/won't be a permanent transformation.

Why will it be temporary? The fact that there are 2 more episodes in this arc seems to mean that it's unfinished as it is, and there's a very great possibility that Twilight will lose her wings by the end of it. The transformation also seemed very quick (the whole episode was), and wasn't that in-depth. Although the transformation scene was cool, there wasn't too much explanation, and this could be for a reason -- that it's temporary.

Why will it be permanent? You don't make just any pony an alicorn. As stated -- or sung -- in Celestia's Ballad, all of Twilight's adventures have been in preparation of this event. Celestia has been testing her to find out whether or not she is "ready" for this transformation. Twilight was obviously willing to accept this turn of events as, if she wasn't, she would have said so, and would not have announced her newfound wings and stature to the world.

Edited by MatrixChicken
  • Brohoof 1

Personally, I was kind of shocked to have seen Twilight become an alicorn/princess so fast. If she gets to keep it for a while it'll be interesting to see how Larson plays around with it. But like everyone else here, Im guessing either Celestia becomes corrupted or a new big bad comes from the Everfree forest and Twi must defeat it, thereby sacrificing her alicorn powers and form in the process. As for the princess thing....I expect that given time Twilight will eventually give up the title due to the simple fact it just too much to take in.

I'm not quite sure what to think of it. I used to think that she would give them up because the duty of a princess would be too rough on her, but it looks like it's really gonna stay... Besides, why would Hasbro want to take away more moneymakers?  :lol:

I'm thinking the wings are gonna be there for quite a while.It's been made pretty clear that you can't be a princess without being an Alicorn,and I think the writing staff intends to make Twilight a princess.

I don't see how it's that much of a big deal though.I mean,we're mature grown-up people.We're definitely fine with Twilight being an alicorn,right guys?

Right?

• Brohoof 1