Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Advanced is Equestrian Technology? Is There an Equivalent Time Period?

Espionage

Tech level  

94 users have voted

1. 1. What tech level is right for Equestria?

• Renaissance
    • Industrial Revolution
    • Victorian Era
    • More recent
  2. 2. Needs more Steampunk?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 years later...
On 29/01/2012 at 4:21 PM, Skullbuster said:

i saw it more akin to the early 1900's seeing how they use lanterns and the automobile in todays episode looked like something from that time period

Wait, there's been a car on MLP?

Airships, trains, skyscrapers, x-ray, EEG, it's the tech level of Everything Nice and there's nothing stopping anyone from designing a recoil-operated machine gun.

5a2bd73a099eb_DonkeyTech-Kopija.jpg.ed4c574b3d7c824ffa1172049c0e79cc.jpg

You wanted all the comforts of the modern world. You did this to yourselves!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I for myself love this thread, and the very interesting replies I saw (I created myself an account just to reply to it), but I do think we shouldn't think about this, because MLP is completely illogical.

It is (supposed to be) a child-targeted show. Even though the fanbase is way larger than just people under 12, MLP will never make itself logical in terms of technology and plot. Exemple: Twilight went into the Human World. Why the hell didn't she take samples of technology there?? She is supposed to be a smartass superior princess, holding the power of 12 armies thanks to herself and her friends, so why didn't she take phones, computers, fridges, or anything that could help the world?

Because on a logical basis, the plot doesn't make sense. Fridges are easy to make, and magic makes possibilities completely unlimited. If we take the hypothesis that magic can be turned into electricity, and so reject the hypothesis that in order to do the modern world, the ponies should ruin their land (because they wouldn't need oil, they have magic!), they could have flying cities, robots, all around! I read a fanfiction with robots and phones and video games, and only the plot attracted me. Because reading that Cadence is looking for a combo in Street Fighter and Luna is speaking to Twilight through their phones while beating Cadence's ass by doing a hell combo, is unnerving. 

(God I didn't know my reply would be that long) Finally, to reply to the question:

How advanced is Equestrian Technology? We shouldn't care. Okay, time period, I can accept that debate because it's even more interesting. But you will never be able to get an agreement on the technology level of Equestria and Beyond, because it doesn't make any sense and it changes by each and every episode...

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 4:38 AM, Snow Moonlight said:

. . . Twilight went into the Human World. Why the hell didn't she take samples of technology there?? . . .  so why didn't she take phones, computers, fridges, or anything that could help the world?

Who says she did not? -> She either "imported" or reverse_engineered a CO2 fire extinguiser to properly equip her "School of Friendship" against dragonfire accidents [something that likely was never even considered by other schools in Equestria].

. . . Because on a logical basis, the plot doesn't make sense. Fridges are easy to make, and magic makes possibilities completely unlimited. 

In the Season 8 finale, some cupcakes Pinkie brought for their journey to Tartarus got stale because all magic in Equestria was getting drained [S8E25].  The fact that she expected them to remain cold in her saddlebag implies it was enchanted to "keeping stuff cold" in it (as it would be more practical than enchanting every single piece of food).

If we take the hypothesis that magic can be turned into electricity, and so reject the hypothesis that in order to do the modern world, the ponies should ruin their land (because they wouldn't need oil, they have magic!).

They already use electricity for non-semiconductor devices (simple lights & heat generators for hot water/steam); ast they prefer the wireless "Tesla Coil" Electromagnetic Induction System for its transportation (this is why there are no "high voltage cables" going outside the hydroelectrical dam); something that is by force short_ranged [just a few kilometer radius of "service"] & also makes "radio" or any other long_range comunication system impossible [since the entire spectrum is already saturated with energy, the "noise level" will be as high as any "signal"]. 

• 4 months later...

I'll admit, I have my preferences regarding this - I got quite annoyed when the show introduced movie theatres and am glad they didn't go further.

I agree regarding the general consensus of Equestria varying between the late 19th and early 20th century in tech, with some areas (like weapons) lagging and others more advanced. Since I try to write while immersing in the environment, it's actually quite important for me to bear in mind what technologies are established, new and unknown, since those shape and colour our lives. For instance, I see Ponyville only having obtained full indoor plumbing within our leads' lifetimes - definitely a contributor to Rarity's sense of the place as a hopeless backwater! On the other hand, I'm willing to explain away tech (those arcade games? Enchanted clockwork!) or just ignore it (what telephone?) if it has no real significance and feels out of place IMO.

On 12/9/2017 at 7:35 AM, Goat-kun said:

Airships, trains, skyscrapers, x-ray, EEG, it's the tech level of Everything Nice and there's nothing stopping anyone from designing a recoil-operated machine gun.

5a2bd73a099eb_DonkeyTech-Kopija.jpg.ed4c574b3d7c824ffa1172049c0e79cc.jpg

You wanted all the comforts of the modern world. You did this to yourselves!

Are you my mummy?

(Couldn't resist!)

12 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Are you my mummy?

(Couldn't resist!)

I know the reference and understand the urge. Not really a fan of Doctor, though.

Now, back to topic. If I was to design griffins strictly by canon, they'd look something like Warhammer Empire:

EmpireTech.thumb.png.375995ab1a7716a944fb02e18f16828f.png

Hard to say, sometime in Greek history with all mythological creatures. They knew basic math, if that's technology related?