Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Multiverse Theory: Opinions and Discussion

why

Do you belive in the multiverse theory?  

36 users have voted

1. 1. Do you belive in the multiverse theory?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

Well, the theory is quite old, but with evidence...

Yeah, multiverse and quantum-physics, I'm glad I don't get headache while thinking of that stuff, actually I use to explain some of the basics to people quite often. The possibilities of what is, was, and will be are endless.

Too bad, this knowledge is worth nothing. Transdimensional/-universal travel would need so much energy (if it is possible), I think we would destroy our own universe in an attempt to travel. I mean, we only have a few million years before we can not longer exist and then a few trillion until the universe collapses.

But hope dies last. Let's build an interuniversal/-dimensional gate!

There is the energy problem. I think it's more than a few million though. Besides, look how much we've advanced in the past 2,000 years. Maybe in time we'll figure out an alternate way to jump universes. Or maybe we will unlock the technological advancements to harness that much energy. 

It makes me wish I was immortal, just so I could see what happens.

• Brohoof 2

Interesting thought, but I'm gonna have to disagree. As much as I LOVE ponies, I don't think that it is very plausible...

- Different universes doesn't necessarily mean different laws of physics. Unfortunately, I just don't think actual magic is a possibility.

- How would all of the creatures in the Equestria universe look exactly as we pictures them in folklore from Earth, hundreds of years ago?

- If the ponies truly were what we call "ponies" I don't think they would be able to pronounce speech. No lips and all...

- The planet in this separate universe would have to have similar living conditions as Earth to provide the conditions needed for the various plant and animal life that inhabit it

Great find though! Just because ponies may not be out there doesn't mean all kinds of cool different stuff is there happy.png

I disagree with your disagreement. Look at the ponies in the show. they are no more like ponies than humans look like apes.

Their heads are large for an increased brain, they lost the horselike muzzle. They no longer have the swaying belly that grass grazers have...No ponies are far more human than they are ponies.

as for magic...it's just a different set of physics. nothing says the law of physics must be the same on all the billions of universes.

that means there is a Hogwarts style school out there and a magic talking ponies.

Bottom line here is, Infinite possibilities!

• Brohoof 2

There is the energy problem. I think it's more than a few million though. Besides, look how much we've advanced in the past 2,000 years. Maybe in time we'll figure out an alternate way to jump universes. Or maybe we will unlock the technological advancements to harness that much energy. 

It makes me wish I was immortal, just so I could see what happens.

You want to be immortal. Well, okay. *shrugs*

But there is still the physics-issue. Even if the borders, set by the laws of physics in our universe, allow such a travel, It doesn't mean, we could exist in another universe.

Oh my gosh, just imagine, you get through and Equestria consists of anti-matter. Not only would your travel been pointless, no, you would also destroy all of it by Annihilation! Argh!

• Brohoof 1

Interesting thought, but I'm gonna have to disagree. As much as I LOVE ponies, I don't think that it is very plausible...

- Different universes doesn't necessarily mean different laws of physics. Unfortunately, I just don't think actual magic is a possibility.

- How would all of the creatures in the Equestria universe look exactly as we pictures them in folklore from Earth, hundreds of years ago?

- If the ponies truly were what we call "ponies" I don't think they would be able to pronounce speech. No lips and all...

- The planet in this separate universe would have to have similar living conditions as Earth to provide the conditions needed for the various plant and animal life that inhabit it

Great find though! Just because ponies may not be out there doesn't mean all kinds of cool different stuff is there img-1481913-1-happy.png

What you are failing to see is that the "possible" number of universes is infinite. As such, though it is not "necessarily" true that other universes will have different laws that govern the way they flow, but with such an non-quantifiable amount of possible universes then there has to be some that do abide by different laws. 

Think of it like this. The odds of winning the Powerball here in the US is around 1 in 175.5 million. Really small odds right? However, people do manage to strike up these odds and win the jackpot. The same can go for different universes, even if the possibility is small, the odds themselves may actually be very generous in terms of the number of outcomes that have already been made.

Like most have said already in this thread, if you can think of it, it has a possibility of already being reality in a different dimmension.

• Brohoof 1

You want to be immortal. Well, okay. *shrugs*

But there is still the physics-issue. Even if the borders, set by the laws of physics in our universe, allow such a travel, It doesn't mean, we could exist in another universe.

Oh my gosh, just imagine, you get through and Equestria consists of anti-matter. Not only would your travel been pointless, no, you would also destroy all of it by Annihilation! Argh!

Just for curiosity's sake

And I do agree that there is no guarantee that we would survive. Besides, we haven't even finished exploring our own universe.

• Brohoof 1

Just for curiosity's sake

And I do agree that there is no guarantee that we would survive. Besides, we haven't even finished exploring our own universe.

There will be universes and worlds where we will survive. Just think of the billions of alternate earths alone.

Just like there will be a universe where apes evolved from man. there could be millions of ponyverses out there.

room enough for all.

Fire up the transmorgifier!

(edited)

The horrifying part of this theory is, if all is possible with "possibly" infinite universes, then not only would the good be possible, but all the terrors and nightmares would also be there. Universes with no life, ones that were destroyed by a race, or by their own.

Yes there could be a close to exact replica of Equestria somewhere in the mix of uncountable universes, but what about all the ones that are the worst nightmares for Equestria (and I'm not talking about small things like Nightmare Moon or Sombra). Worlds that lay in ruin or despair...or simply worlds that resemble that of the Dead Space series, a living hell.

Edited by Lugia
  • Brohoof 2

There will be universes and worlds where we will survive. Just think of the billions of alternate earths alone.

Just like there will be a universe where apes evolved from man. there could be millions of ponyverses out there.

room enough for all.

I don't doubt the possibilities.  But there is still the fact that people wont exactly be looking for such a thing. Also if we have a failed attempt the first time, I doubt people would be willing to do it again.

• Brohoof 1

room enough for all.

Then the biggest question is: How to seperate them?

Oh noes, I'm starting the scientific discussion in my second language! I've sworn to avoid this.

• Brohoof 1

I don't doubt the possibilities.  But there is still the fact that people wont exactly be looking for such a thing. Also if we have a failed attempt the first time, I doubt people would be willing to do it again.

With infinite possibilities, I doubt we would quit after one failed attempt.

It is possible that it might be easier to travel to alternate universes than to travel faster than light and explore the stars.

If that is the case, then we could start colonizing alternate earths where Humans never developed.

Oh noes, I'm starting the scientific discussion in my second language! I've sworn to avoid this.

A more important would be not "how to separate them", but, how to distinguish them and be able to choose into which alternate universe we would arrive into. However, even then it's not that easy.

Not only would we have to study how our universe would connect with theirs, but would it be possible to even return to our original dimmension using the same mechanics? The amount of research and developement that would be required is astronomical.

• Brohoof 2

Hmmm. navigation IS an issue. But eventually we will figure out how to dial up a universe to specifications. Somewhere out there I will be cool!

The idea is intriguing, but the multiverse theory is already well established in the realm of astrophysics. There's actually a phenomenon called dark flow, in which galaxies are moving, in uniform motion, toward a mass outside our observable universe. It should be noted, however, that outside the observable universe doesn't necessarily mean it's outside our universe proper, as photons were not emitted in the early years of the universe. I don't know if the findings specified in the OP are related to this phenomenon, but it's interesting to bring up, nevertheless. I just wish the article didn't put everything in such simple terms, since they leave so many ideas ambiguous. 

• Brohoof 2

The problem is, that this is only true given an infinite number of universes. So the chances of anyone actually finding Equestria within the multiverse is infinity-to-one against. So it might as well not exist in the first place...

The problem is, that this is only true given an infinite number of universes. So the chances of anyone actually finding Equestria within the multiverse is infinity-to-one against. So it might as well not exist in the first place...

That may be true, but think of it like this.

Each, and EVERY SINGLE action directs the flow of time differently. Even thinking an extra second changes how the future works. Now with an infinite number of universes, there is no way in telling how many exact (yet, with very minuscule differences) versions of Equestria there are. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, it doesn't matter how low the odds are, no matter what, there are odds because there is a chance that is actually possible. Even if the odds are 1:1e2Tr, with so many universes there could be hundreds or thousands of outcomes where it has occured.

That may be true, but think of it like this.

Each, and EVERY SINGLE action directs the flow of time differently. Even thinking an extra second changes how the future works. Now with an infinite number of universes, there is no way in telling how many exact (yet, with very minuscule differences) versions of Equestria there are. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, it doesn't matter how low the odds are, no matter what, there are odds because there is a chance that is actually possible. Even if the odds are 1:1e2Tr, with so many universes there could be hundreds or thousands of outcomes where it has occured.

True, but some infinities are larger than other infinities... for all the infinitely slightly different Equestrias, each other of the infinitely many concepts one could come up with also has infinitely many slightly different variations, so it's still trying to find infinity in a hay stack. Just of infinities instead of hay...

True, but some infinities are larger than other infinities... for all the infinitely slightly different Equestrias, each other of the infinitely many concepts one could come up with also has infinitely many slightly different variations, so it's still trying to find infinity in a hay stack. Just of infinities instead of hay...

You are torturing me with "infinity" @_@

As much as I don't really like the term/concept of infinity, it does have its uses. Although uncountable, or a non-quantifiable amount is better in my opinion. The sad part is, both ends are technically impossible (from my view). Infinity as a possibility is not possible (nothing can go on forever...everything HAS to have an end), but then, if it DOES truly end, then something must create a border. However, what is beyond that border? It is a endless loop of impossibility :|. 

(edited)

If this is true. We have to be careful something along the lines The Conversion Bureau doesn't happen.

Aka The Conversion Bureau are evil alternate versions of canon Ponies that wish to wipe out the Human race.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

I don't really know what to think of the Multiverse theory. I'm not too sure whether to believe it or not, but if it is possible, then... which one's Equestria, cos I'm going there! laugh.png

(edited)

There is only one logical response to news such as this. *clears throat* Ahem...

BRONIES. BEGIN WORK ON THE INTERDIMENSIONAL SPACE SHUTTLE IMMEDIATELY.

Edited by IronPonyApplejack
  • Brohoof 2

Hm... this 'universe style'...

145104__safe_princess-luna_realistic_art

Compared to the ponies there...

Princess_Luna.pngWould we be 2-Dimensional? I wonder how big their eyes really look when we visit there. :/

• Brohoof 2

It's realy pushing on the incredibly extravagant when someone tries to deduce the existence of a billion or infinite number of entities from just some anomalies within our universe. If you're going to posit other universes to explain some physical phenomena you need only posit those that are neccessary. An extrapolation from a finite number of anomalies to an actually infinite number of universes seems rightly absurd. On the bright side, however, at least someone's presented some supposed evidence for a multiverse.

This will probably turn out to be sensationalism, but we'll see.

• Brohoof 3

there are infinite worlds out there if quantum mechanics is a proven theory, so basically if you can think of it, it exists in another dimension. Being able to find Equestria among the millions of universes... that's the hard part

Umm... Pretty sure Quantum Mechanics is the theory of how atoms behave...

Anywho!

I can't say we can prove such an existence.  Showing that this is called "first evidence" and not "first proof".  So until us humans can reach another solar system with something physically, I don't think we should get too cocky. :P