Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Multiverse Theory: Opinions and Discussion

why

Do you belive in the multiverse theory?  

36 users have voted

1. 1. Do you belive in the multiverse theory?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

You are talking like you just got off of Tumblr. Also the whole multiverse thing is completely up to you and your own head cannons because I guarantee you the main 6 won't fall through a portal to an alternate world where foals are ground into rainbows on the canon show. Personally I think it is an interesting idea for fanfictions and stuff, but whether or not you believe it is up to you.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 1

There are other implications in the multiple universes that have ponies in them, I'm pretty sure that people who only think that there are scary and dark scenarios in their universes is really exaggerating. It is all up to you on which universe that you would create for the ponies, so whatever idea you have you can use it in their universe as a theory.

Whether alternate universes are happy or scary, I feel unsatisfied with either. I mean... what's the point of any action you take if that same action was done by another version of yourself somewhere else? My metaphysical mind would feel cheated if someone else lived a more perfect life than myself.

The mutlverse theory is only a theory. It basically means that whatever fannon you can pop into your head can be a reality in some alternate reality. It's really an aid for writers and is not something proposed or proven by scientists so i wish people would start of thinking of it with that way in mind.

The fact that people are arguing about alternate realities of the one accepted cannon where ponies, unicorns, pegasus, are sentient and dominant beings is humorous enough but when people are arguing for scientifically based alternate realities it gets very sketchy. Just feel free to write your own fannon if it suits your imagination but stop linking it back to multiverse theory as SCIENCE.  

For a start, how is the existence of the other universes to be tested? To be sure, all cosmologists accept that there are some regions of the universe that lie beyond the reach of our telescopes, but somewhere on the slippery slope between that and the idea that there are an infinite number of universes, credibility reaches a limit. As one slips down that slope, more and more must be accepted on faith, and less and less is open to scientific verification. Extreme multiverse explanations are therefore reminiscent of theological discussions. Indeed, invoking an infinity of unseen universes to explain the unusual features of the one we do see is just as ad hoc as invoking an unseen Creator. The multiverse theory may be dressed up in scientific language, but in essence it requires the same leap of faith.

— Paul Davies, A Brief History of the Multiverse

• Brohoof 1

When we talk about the Multiverse, everything is possible. Every time you think of something, a new Universe is created. So, even if there could be dark universes, there could still be happy and cheerful ones.

I wouldn't call the implication of a multiverse scary, I would call it infinite because the mathematical theory of a multiverse implies infinite universes with infinite possibilities. So you really couldn't put an emotion on it. It would be more like an Expression... and that expression would look like a sideways 8.

well, if it makes you feel any better. Assuming that there are absolutes in this word, then there are some things that could never happen in any of the multiverses. I don't really know any absolutes off the top of my head buut....lets say water cannot turn into lava spontaniously....now...maybe there is some way water could do that but we're assuming that it 'absolutely' cannot happen. 

If our assumption about that is true, then there for certain will be no multiverse world in which water turns into lava spontaniously.

In other words....not all fanfiction could exist. Probably a lot of them would, but the multiverse theory assumes that for every action taken, there was the opposite action somewhere else. Applying to chance, and choice.

The theory has nothing to do with the laws of the universe though, so impossibilities should remain impossible, therefore, any fanfiction that breaks the laws of ponyworld (which...we don't know what those laws are anyway) could not happen ever ever, no matter what multiverse.

Well those "absolutes" you speak of apply to rules of the world we live in and that is why it is hard for people to think past them. Just because this universe has laws, such as physics, doesn't mean that the next has those same laws. Just remember anything is Possible!

I wouldn't call the implication of a multiverse scary, I would call it infinite because the mathematical theory of a multiverse implies infinite universes with infinite possibilities. So you really couldn't put an emotion on it. It would be more like an Expression... and that expression would look like a sideways 8.

Well those "absolutes" you speak of apply to rules of the world we live in and that is why it is hard for people to think past them. Just because this universe has laws, such as physics, doesn't mean that the next has those same laws. Just remember anything is Possible!

If the "absolutes" can happen in another universe, there has to be some reason it happens. if 'any' reason makes it possible, then it is no longer an absolute. That's the very nature of something happening 100% of the time. Happening and not happening somewhere else negates it's status as an absolute.

The absolutes that I speak of are all assumptions as I don't know what actually could qualify. I'm simply saying that in theory, If and only IF true absolutes exist, then we can assume that there are things that could never ever change across all possible worlds or timelines.

An interesting thing about the multiverse theory: In theory anything can happen just by a thought but why is it that when you think "I'll have fifty bucks right now" it doesn't happen? Why do we only stay conscious in the realm where nothing happens? Why is it that when people think "all multiverses, ever, forever, die and never come back" nothing happens?

There's a couple of possibilities. The logical one: That multiverses don't exist. The more philosophical one: That there are safeguards placed by something or someone to stop a simple thought from destroying everything in existence. The mysterious one: That no matter what any being thinks, there's always some concept we don't understand that prevents us from mapping out a new multiverse based on such dangerous thoughts as destroying everything or getting a few dollars instantaneously. Perhaps it requires a more precise formula than just wishing something would happen.

Multiverse theory is fun. :lol:

So from what I understand the multiverse theory means whatever universe which makes sense or not you can think of, it exists. In theory of course. So if the theory is true, every fictional story is in a universe of it's own as well as any other possible choice anyone or thing could have made.

It's confusing but certainly a fascinating theory.

Edited by squareyes
  • Brohoof 1

So from what I understand the multiverse theory means whatever universe which makes sense or not you can think of, it exists. In theory of course. So if the theory is true, every fictional story is in a universe of it's own as well as any other possible choice anyone or thing could have made.

It's confusing but certainly a fascinating theory.

Absolutely. Whether it's wishful thinking or not it's a great concept that everything we know and love in entertainment is another universe and we are just another story to another being. It's amusing to say the least.

I don't really concern myself with whether it's true or not, I just find it highly entertaining to think about, talk about and research when necessary. :lol:

Absolutely. Whether it's wishful thinking or not it's a great concept that everything we know and love in entertainment is another universe and we are just another story to another being. It's amusing to say the least.

I don't really concern myself with whether it's true or not, I just find it highly entertaining to think about, talk about and research when necessary. :lol:

It's great to dream about but if you want to know if it's true or not it's a pain to research. Still, science can't really get that far yet to probably even see what these universes are like and I doubt it ever will (not any time soon at least.)

Though I guess that's the beauty of it. Your dreams actually having a chance of existing instead of just being in your head. For me as an escapist, it's such an amazing thought.

Edited by squareyes

It's great to dream about but if you want to know if it's true or not it's a pain to research. Still, science can't really get that far yet to probably even see what these universes are like and I doubt it ever will (not any time soon at least.)

Though I guess that's the beauty of it. Y

I'm of the belief that it doesn't really matter what's true or not true in any sort of philosophical or religious debate. If there is only one truth, it's not going to change anything if we decide to follow that truth or another that we believe to be the truth because it's going to end the same way anyway and those of us who had the luck of choosing the right truth get exactly what they wanted out of life and death, whether it can be proven or not.

Which conception of the multiverse are you referring to?

I've been under the impression, and I believe the impression is based on good reason, that "multiverse" refers to the theory postulating simply that multiple universes exist in either a finite or infinite amount; not that every conceivable or imaginable scenario is actually instantiated in a universe, which is much more akin to the "possible world" of philosophy or the "alternate universe" of science fiction.

In the case of either the finite or infinite set of universes, it is not necessarily the case that within those sets of universes every possible scenario is instantiated.

Although, there is one conception of the multiverse that I can't quite name off the top of my head that is based on a certain interpretation of quantum mechanics and has to do with some physical entity having the chance of existing in any possible location in space, or something of that sort. But even this conception, which is highly questionable in itself, does not on its own model necessitate that "any" possible scenario is actually instantiated.

Edited by Senora Rareza Pony

Let me just say that there are a whole lot of agreeable perspectives here. Hell, I can agree with everything anyone is saying because we are ultimately talking about a theory here. A theory.

There's so many factors and variables in a theory, that it's impossible to confirm what is the best view point on it.

The way I see it, because the Universe in potentially infinite, by the very definition and principles of infinity, the universe is endless and encompasses everything endless, including any scenario, any possibility, probability, anything conceivable and inconceivable, unless proven otherwise.

Taking the Multiverse theory into account here, I would say that according to what it's implying, there's an infinite amount of MLP:FIM universes in which each other is either slightly or significantly different from the others. The pony's lives, the history, even the physics and fundamental laws could be different in each universe.

Every fanfiction of MLP that has or ever will made is real in these infinite array of universes. 

The same can be said for every other popular fictional show that could exist in the multiverse according to the theory. 

Even for our own reality. We could have infinite versions of this world and our universe, all varying in how significant the differences are.

Basically it's a theory and we'll never know.

Overall, the way I see it...

Infinity...infinities everywhere. :P

Guys guys!

The Multiverse theory shouldn't even be called a theory. It should be called the Multiverse Headcannon and not even particularly good Headcannon. It's just a lame excuse for people to include there sick twists into MLP or off-cannon junk.

• Brohoof 1

I'm of the belief that it doesn't really matter what's true or not true in any sort of philosophical or religious debate. If there is only one truth, it's not going to change anything if we decide to follow that truth or another that we believe to be the truth because it's going to end the same way anyway and those of us who had the luck of choosing the right truth get exactly what they wanted out of life and death, whether it can be proven or not.

I would agree. As if you we're to believe in something like heaven and you're a good samaritian who is disagreeing on this with an Atheist, then when god brings the samaritian to heaven, the samaritian will be the happy one. Although you don't fully know believes are completely true since they are only what you believe. You cause what happens to yourself (as well as others impact on you and your life), for example, falling down the stairs is you fault even if the cat was in the way.

((I wanted to argue in this post but I agree with pretty much everything. :P))

Guys guys!

The Multiverse theory shouldn't even be called a theory. It should be called the Multiverse Headcannon and not even particularly good Headcannon. It's just a lame excuse for people to include there sick twists into MLP or off-cannon junk.

In this context "headcanon" and "alternate reality" are the same thing. That is the most basic explanation of what multiverse theory is without getting into the science.

I would agree. As if you we're to believe in something like heaven and you're a good samaritian who is disagreeing on this with an Atheist, then when god brings the samaritian to heaven, the samaritian will be the happy one. Although you don't fully know believes are completely true since they are only what you believe. You cause what happens to yourself (as well as others impact on you and your life), for example, falling down the stairs is you fault even if the cat was in the way.

((I wanted to argue in this post but I agree with pretty much everything. :P))

The thing with that is that many try to say that a religious view of things happening is different from a natural or self-inflicted occurrence. More often than not a religious or philosophical view is that nothing in that situation is your fault, it's something that was slowly weaved into your daily life by a god or by random chance to make you trip. That cat could have lived it's entire life for the purpose of tripping you....or it could have happened entirely randomly but was still put there through various variables initiated by actions you took or others took around you to make the cat want to sit right there.

But I'm rambling now and going off-topic so don't mind me. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

This implication isn't scary to me, but it should scare you. There is, without a doubt, a world where there's a me who can't feel feelings. That all by itself isn't scary, but here comes the doozie: I wish I was that me right now. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!!!

There's one thing I don't get about the multiverse theory that occurred to me. If anything that could ever happen exists in another universe, then what if someone thought about invading earth through different universes, or is our universe the one that didn't get invaded, and maybe another one did. It all kind of confuses me, and maybe there's a universe where this specific post doesn't exist, and that's the only difference.

• 2 months later...

I personally do not belive in the theory,as I find it stupid,but I'm not here to criticize.

Share your reasons as to why you do or don't belive in the multiverse theory.

Edited by MOSFETv2

I wouldn't say i believe it, but i do think it mite be possible. But i wouldn't want it to be true, because i would fell that no matter what i did, it wouldn't matter because every time i came to a major decision like if I helped some one with a problem, in an alternate universe i wouldn't have done that, so i would self consciously not fell that what i did was impotent being that another me did do that. Sorry if that sounds really confusing but my point is, yes i think it's possible, but i wouldn't want it to be because i fell there would be no real choice that i made.

• Brohoof 1