Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Future of My Little Pony and the Brony Phenomenon

planet news

End of the show and G4  

169 users have voted

1. 1. How many seasons do you think the show will last?

• Three. Next season will be the last, Im afraid.
    • Four. Not a whole lot longer...
    • Five. Might go strong for a while.
    • Six. Its still got some good time ahead.
    • Seven. The show isn't ending anytime soon!
    • Eight or higher. Its gonna be here for a long time!
  2. 2. Will you still be a brony even after the show dies?

• Still gonna be a very strong brony!
    • I might go down a bit, but still be a brony.
    • Im not sure yet.
    • I think Ill stop being a brony.
    • I'll forget I was ever a brony!
  3. 3. What do you think G5 will be like?

• Its gonna be awesome, just like FIM!
    • I think it will be nice, but not as good as FIM.
    • I dont really know yet.
    • It will not really be that good.
    • It will be terrible, just like G3!
    • There really might not be a G5.

We bronies will have a civic duty to introduce our children and grandchildren to MLP, and to try to convert them to bronies.

And they will pass it onto their children.... and their children...

And we will tell them "There are many more like us out there. Go, search the internet for them. Contribute to them."

And so, our fandom will last for many generations to come.

• Brohoof 1

I wish I could say I'll be a brony FOREVER, but the fact of the matter is that half the fun is bronying it up with all of the fans. I'll always a fan, and even embarrass my kids with it (ex-Hippy, anyone?), but I'll probably move on. However, much like Steampunk, the show is morphing into a subculture. With music, videos, art, literature, etc., the show is quickly building its own steam (ignore the mild pun). If it gets enough inertia, it could continue indefinitely. I'm talking multi-generational bronies, with continuous updates by fans and semi-professionals. It's entirely possible that the legacy of the show will not die out, but in fact will continue to grow and grow, with it's own histories and canons (note the plural). My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, could become the next Star Wars, or Star Trek, or everything that Joss Whedon has ever made.

• Brohoof 2

I still loved and openly played pokemon even when the craze at my school ended,

i agree the pokemon fandom never ends its been going on for well over a decade now and it's still very strong. i feel MLP will be the same way.

It all depends on how good they can keep the series to be honest. I think it will last good for a while then they will eventually start to run out of ideas. Everypony eventually does.

i have to disagree with that. people will just watch the classic first couple of seasons.

take pokemon for example there ideas and new shows have been so dead yet the pokemon fandom is still one of the largest ever. It has more to do with simply how good they can keep the show going. we are attached to these ponies now and if we have to we will just watch the best first couple of seasons. (much like how people do with pokemon.)

im sure there will always be those who make the best out of what we are given.

I would say long after the show ends, but the fanbase would probably shrink. Heck there are sill tons of Star Wars and Star Trek fans and these fanbases have been around for ages. I would have to say you don't have to worry about the bronies going anywhere any time soon.

EXACTLY that's a great example cuz star trek was such a short lived series. the original series was that started the mass fan base following was only 3 seasons. and it has one of the largest followings ever ( i said the same think about pokemon but that was referring to children's cartoons that are popular with adults and teens.)

• Brohoof 1

EXACTLY that's a great example cuz star trek was such a short lived series. the original series was that started the mass fan base following was only 3 seasons. and it has one of the largest followings ever ( i said the same think about pokemon but that was referring to children's cartoons that are popular with adults and teens.)

The major difference that I find is that MLP:FiM is merchandise-driven, albeit high-quality merchandise-driven. That means that no matter how much bit the show becomes, it will still be profitable like a bad commercial. However, I think the team they have is VERY good, and will try and keep that from happening. That, and the bronies are getting more and more say. While they are not letting the bronies run the show, their input should at least prevent it form being total crap.

The major difference that I find is that MLP:FiM is merchandise-driven, albeit high-quality merchandise-driven. That means that no matter how much bit the show becomes, it will still be profitable like a bad commercial. However, I think the team they have is VERY good, and will try and keep that from happening. That, and the bronies are getting more and more say. While they are not letting the bronies run the show, their input should at least prevent it form being total crap.

i used to think that but the whole derpy-ditsy controversy really makes me wonder now.

i used to think that but the whole derpy-ditsy controversy really makes me wonder now.

But think, how much of the fanbase are the bronies right now? How much are they going to be? We are growing and growing and growing at an insane right, and groups like the Herd Recruitment Group are only increasing that. Eventually, we'll be half, or more, of the total group, and that's not liable to change. In the end, we are going to be the predominant voice, and the final quality-checkers, for this show. We have DESTINY.
  • Brohoof 1

exactly even tho most of the shows are crap now.

I would be very disappointed if FiM started to degrade in quality, I hope that it doesn't happen. Even if the show gets canceled i doubt the bronies will die out. Think about it; Dragonball Z ended in 1996, and it still has a very active fan following.

Plus, the brony community is growing at a very rapid rate. Personally, I think we'll be around for quite a while

I would be very disappointed if FiM started to degrade in quality, I hope that it doesn't happen. Even if the show gets canceled i doubt the bronies will die out. Think about it; Dragonball Z ended in 1996, and it still has a very active fan following.

Plus, the brony community is growing at a very rapid rate. Personally, I think we'll be around for quite a while

We will develop our own food source long after Laura Faust is done feeding us.
  • Brohoof 2

she is done you do realize she is not heading the show anymore don't you

Yeah, but a lot of her ideas are still being put into use. If anything, the fact that she wasn't helming the show for season 2 is what gives me hope, because, IMO, it was better than Season 1.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've become too involved already to give up on this fandom or this show. Trekkies are a prime example of how long a fandom can last, as it's well over a few decades old and still is there despite the show being over.

With the professional works that exist throughout this fandom, the already existing dedication, mutual friendships, and memories already made, most bronies have grown emotional and physical bonds with the fandom that are going to be extremely hard to break no matter how long the show is gone. The next popular thing may overshadow this fandom, but it shall exist nonetheless in the hearts of the dedicated fans.

I may become the weird old guy down the street who says, "Back in my day, men liked ponies!" but I know that the show's spirit is near unstoppable. When the official show stops running, the fans shall take it's place and continue it in whatever way they can. It may be unrealistic, but I would never be surprised to see at least the remnants of bronydom survive to see the 22nd century. (Or it get's restarted, like other old fads, but surprisingly sticks, reviving the fandom)

Edited by Brisineo

With the way it's going now, I'm pretty sure the show will stay for a while. However, if it must change, then they'll maybe get the same writers in, to make it appeal to the older audience, but I doubt that will happen. If the fad does die out, then I will stay true to the show. I will carry on watching it, and will stay on this forum until it's final days.

I thought there was another topic about this.... *grumble, grumble*

Like I said before, I think the subculture is going to develop its own inertia and keep developing its own content for many years after the show. If this is about the show itself, I think it has at least 5 seasons in it, assuming the quality remains constant and the fandom keeps growing. At the most, I'm saying 9. Any more than 9 and even these delightfully well-done characters will be played out.

Now, with bad quality, it depends where it starts to suck. If season 3 is absolutely crap, then I could see fandom dying about by the end of Season 4. If it starts later down the road, then it could take even longer for its funeral dirge to finish. Bronies are the most absolutely dedicated fan-base I've ever seen, and the more fuel for the tank we get, the longer we are going to go.

The community is so advanced with hundreds of artists and musicians. Hasbro knows how deeply this show has impacted others, but quality becomes before quantity of episodes. I think the show will produce enough episodes that won't ruin the magic. However many episodes that are like that we'll just have to see. For all we know MLP could stop at the 3rd season or it go as far as 10 years!

It will go on for a long time i sense it will, pretty much, if they dont mess up ike spongebob, i still rememebr some good jokes...

"Oh hey squidward glad you could make it!"

"My cables out"

"Oh, hehe, sorry to hear about that"

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I personally don't see the show being continued for more than at most 5 years and the Fan base I have no idea.

Edited by Dasher