Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'Ponies with Navels' Trend Discussion

Love*Potion

I'd like to point out that horses do in fact have navels, so it's technically a correct interpretation. It just doesn't feel correct. It's kind of a "chibi" thing that doesn't fit with their designs very well. I won't be sorry when this fad dies down, at least on the forums.

I'd like to point out that horses do in fact have navels, so it's technically a correct interpretation. It just doesn't feel correct. It's kind of a "chibi" thing that doesn't fit with their designs very well. I won't be sorry when this fad dies down, at least on the forums.

Yup, it's been mentioned here before ^^

Don't really see the connection to chibi, myself. Get what you're trying to say, but chibi isn't the word that would come to mind. And, even when the revolution and trend dies, I carry this interest eternally. The one and only reason this trend started on the forum is because of my interest in it :3 It's not truly vanishing, anytime soon.

• Brohoof 1

And, even when the revolution and trend dies, I carry this interest eternally.

Honestly, the same thing goes for me. While I appreciate the attempts of some within this thread to analyze the deep-seated psychological forces at work, maybe the real truth is that ponies look cute with navels and that's all there is to it. I question the credentials of anyone else to draw any other conclusion, and really... Particularly drawing a parallel to what is, undoubtedly, child abuse? That's a disgusting comparison to make, and even the faintest insinuation of an association demands something a little firmer in support of it than "vibes".

• Brohoof 2

I think that the ponies are cute just the way they are! You don't need to add extra umbilical scars to make them more adorable, they are perfectly cute and cuddly all by themselves wub.png

I agree that adding socks are cute, but they do wear clothes in the show, so to me, it makes a bit more sense.

I am not offended by the navels or anything, I just prefer the original version over the... ummm.... adapted?... version. But I can see how people may find it cute.

I saw the Navel thread about 2 to 3 weeks ago. This is literally what went through my head:

"Neat!"

Later on I came to appreciate the cuteness (and in some cases, sauciness) that navels add to ponies, and I thought that was cool. But starting off, I didn't really think much of it, other than "Ponies with belly buttons, why the hell not?"

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Picture relevant:

316722__safe_twilight-sparkle_oc_text_be

But starting off, I didn't really think much of it, other than "Ponies with belly buttons, why the hell not?"

Tends to be the norm response from most people :3 'Wait, wat'. Navels are super overlooked, and that goes for in general, not just with ponies. For most they're just decoration that isn't used much, therefore most people don't consider them important or worthy of thought.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think the trend is necissary (I can't spell that word) because if you want ponies to have navels then that's fine, but there's no need for art made especially of ponies with navels - they're easy enough to just add as a detail, which is really too simple to go mad over. So I'm okay with ponies having navels, but I don't see the big deal.

(edited)

My take on this is that there is a difference between the milk shake thing and navels or socks. The former actually adds what is commonly considered "cuteness", meaning a kind of childlike adorable innocence and positivity that has deep psychological roots about protecting the offspring, while the latter is fetish. A navel on the belly makes the ponies look a little more anthro and thus easier relatable to that (and the navel in general is considered part of what turns some people on, partially because it is a focus point on the lower body regions) and the socks are like the stockings that are part of sexy underwear. It's just like the whole manga thing where teenage girls so often wear high stockings. It doesn't make them look 'cute' so much as more erotic. To say it in psychological detail: It emphasizes the uncovered body regions above.

Edited by Dowlphin

My take on this is that there is a difference between the milk shake thing and navels or socks. The former actually adds what is commonly considered "cuteness", meaning a kind of childlike adorable innocence and positivity that has deep psychological roots about protecting the offspring, while the latter is fetish. A navel on the belly makes the ponies look a little more anthro and thus easier relatable to that (and the navel in general is considered part of what turns some people on, partially because it is a focus point on the lower body regions) and the socks are like the stockings that are part of sexy underwear. It's just like the whole manga thing where teenage girls so often wear high stockings. It doesn't make them look 'cute' so much as more erotic. To say it in psychological detail: It emphasizes the uncovered body regions above.

Makes sense. While most wouldn't like to admit it, I do actually think there is a difference between "cute" and "erotic". Now it's not blatantly SEX, but it is a 'cutsie' little way to make the pony in question more attractive rather than more cute.

• Brohoof 1

but it is a 'cutsie' little way to make the pony in question more attractive rather than more cute.

Nothing says it can't be both either, you know :3 Attractive and cute are synonymous, not two completely different concepts. Different definitions, but they overlap quite a bit.

• 5 weeks later...

There isn't a reference per se.  It's really more of an attraction that people.  I mean... would a stomach really look as sexy without a belly button? Well neither do pony stomach's without them.  

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

I personally love bellybuttons. They do add cuteness, and I think it's because they draw attention to the soft parts of the character, and that makes me want to snuggle. xP

• Brohoof 3

To me its just like asking why people put ponies in socks and stockings, why give them milkshakes?

simply because they like it and find it cute..its like asking why do some people find chubby cheeks and freckles cute, sometimes it just can be...

• Brohoof 1

Personally I don't get them either, but to each their own I guess. I would assume it would be hidden under their fur. Also a personal thing, but when people post saucy art or bikini stuff or whatever with the navel included I can't help but find it a bit... creepy, as they seem to be looking younger than they really are.

Personally I don't get them either, but to each their own I guess. I would assume it would be hidden under their fur. Also a personal thing, but when people post saucy art or bikini stuff or whatever with the navel included I can't help but find it a bit... creepy, as they seem to be looking younger than they really are.

I keep hearing this argument, and to be honest it is getting quite annoying.

I see it more as an excuse than an actual explanation. There are many reasons why people like it. One thing I saw in it is it looks like the pony in human form is...undressed.

The fact that they don't have any clothes on and have naval implies some sort of other motive for having that type of art. As many others have stated, to each there own, but please don't go making excuses about it. Admit the actual reason.

I keep hearing this argument, and to be honest it is getting quite annoying.

I see it more as an excuse than an actual explanation. There are many reasons why people like it. One thing I saw in it is it looks like the pony in human form is...undressed.

The fact that they don't have any clothes on and have naval implies some sort of other motive for having that type of art. As many others have stated, to each there own, but please don't go making excuses about it. Admit the actual reason.

Umm what? I am sorry but I am not really sure what you are pointing at here. I am just stating that I personally find it creepy but that it's just my own opinion and I am not gonna stop anyone from drawing their ponies with navels or anything.

Umm what? I am sorry but I am not really sure what you are pointing at here. I am just stating that I personally find it creepy but that it's just my own opinion and I am not gonna stop anyone from drawing their ponies with navels or anything.

You clearly missed what I was trying to say. And no I was not pointing it at you.

Anyone can like what they want, but I am tired when people try to find an excuse for why they like it(because there is a true reason why they like it).

People keep saying that "animals have navals and they are hidden" like it is an excuse to like it. That was what I was trying to say.

I asked for one just because I was curious (despite my omphalophobia)
 You're afraid of bellybuttons, but you asked for a picture with a bellybutton?  

Brony, I'm confuzzled as hell, but I respect that.  /)

are pony tummy piercings a thing?

Not yet, but I think they should be :3 A 'sub-thing' to the pony tummy 'thing' xP

Dash, Pinkie, Vinyl Scratch and Rarity are best candidate ponies for belly button rings.

I could understand people finding it cute. Hadn't heard of it until now.

But probably the biggest danger, if anything, is that if it's misplaced by just an inch or two by the artist, suddenly it's a vagina. :unsure: