Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: Friendship is ... Expensive

Cake Pops

I've been keeping track of all my pony purchases on a spreadsheet (including tax and or shipping). After finding Fashion Style Fluttershy at Target last night I grabbed my receipt and added her to the list then I scrolled down to see the total.

$701.34

I'm a bit cheap and very patient when it comes to releases. I won't buy from ebay at all, and will only buy from an online store if the price per pony including tax and shipping isn't more than $2 over the retail price (there was an exception to this when I bought the Euro ponies from Amazon.fr). I don't buy the all plastic figures like the gift set or the blind bags, or any of the other miscellaneous merchandise.

I'm a little worried at this point that I'll end up like the G3 collectors ... having a lot of merchandise that isn't worth what I paid and can't give away. Right now I'm telling myself that the MLP line has gone through such a successful reboot that G4 will be as popular for collectors as G1 but there's really no way of knowing for sure.

How much do you think you've spent so far? If you're a collector do you have any concerns about what your toys will be worth once this fad dies down and people move on to something else?

I haven't spent a penny on merch, just a few free apps for my phone.

I do plan to by some plushies in the future, but finding them cheap (especially from ebay) is nearly impossible.

Edited by Broniesinarms

I make my own plushies, so I don't have to buy them :P And I don't like any of the official merchandise, so the only cost to me is the cost of fabric and other sewing supplies, which really isn't that much.

• Brohoof 3

I've been keeping track of all my pony purchases on a spreadsheet (including tax and or shipping). After finding Fashion Style Fluttershy at Target last night I grabbed my receipt and added her to the list then I scrolled down to see the total.

$701.34

I'm a bit cheap and very patient when it comes to releases. I won't buy from ebay at all, and will only buy from an online store if the price per pony including tax and shipping isn't more than $2 over the retail price (there was an exception to this when I bought the Euro ponies from Amazon.fr). I don't buy the all plastic figures like the gift set or the blind bags, or any of the other miscellaneous merchandise.

I'm a little worried at this point that I'll end up like the G3 collectors ... having a lot of merchandise that isn't worth what I paid and can't give away. Right now I'm telling myself that the MLP line has gone through such a successful reboot that G4 will be as popular for collectors as G1 but there's really no way of knowing for sure.

How much do you think you've spent so far? If you're a collector do you have any concerns about what your toys will be worth once this fad dies down and people move on to something else?

I am jealous that you have so much merchandise ._.

I bought a Luna and Celestia magnet yesterday off ebay, the seller crafted it his/herself and they look as they appear on the show, much to my pleasure. Including shipping, they were only about $6. :D

Not much into collecting things or hasbro merchandise, all I care about is the characters and show! I wouldn't discourage you from collecting if it is a drive of yours, it's a good thing! Like people collecting baseball cards! Though I'm too poor half the time even if I wanted to buy 700+ dollars worth of items (lol).

As sugarcube said, I would probably buy some of things related to the show if they seemed worth it. Something to cater to bronies specifically, and not the small children who just want a fantasy pony to pocket. ;)

Basically, I would want something that doesn't feel cheap and plasticy. Like one of those huge Pinky Pie models shown at Comic-con where it looks more like how the character does on the show than how she would look as a toy, because I'm not interested in that. If hasbro lets some of the fans design them and then pitch them, they'll actually appeal more to people who aren't into collecting such as myself. ;) But for now, the amazing fan made artwork, music, and animations are all I'm interested in as a young adult.

Edited by Akaraah

Then it's been roughly $200 - $150 for IP.Board, $10 for the domain, $25 on a few IPB mods, and an estimated $15-$20 worth of server resources so far.

I ment more of the idea, but you have proved that you pay ALOT more than we do for our toys xD

I'll start spending money on MLP merchandise once they make better stuff to buy.

Likewise. I'd be more than happy to give Hasbro some of my money, but uh... not really feeling the stuff they've got out at this point.

• Brohoof 2

The only time I would buy pony stuff if it was a plushie I collect those. But due to the fact that Hasbro won't do anything wonderful like that I am saving up $50 just to buy fabric, needles, yarn, and stuffing. I am planning to make my own I found a great website were they make eye patches for ponies for people who want to make them like me. So whenever I get started on it I will be sure to share with you guys on how it looks.

• Brohoof 1

The only time I would buy pony stuff if it was a plushie I collect those. But due to the fact that Hasbro won't do anything wonderful like that I am saving up $50 just to buy fabric, needles, yarn, and stuffing. I am planning to make my own I found a great website were they make eye patches for ponies for people who want to make them like me. So whenever I get started on it I will be sure to share with you guys on how it looks.

Like how they made Princess Celestia Pink...?

And they say Celestia is a troll.

• Brohoof 1

I've spent about $55 on pocket ponies (blind bags), roughly $25 on embroidered ponies, and about $22 on pins so I've probably spent a total of around $102 USD, give or take a few dollars.

Oh wow, I just realized I've spent over $100 on ponies. So that's why I never have any money. :(

• Brohoof 1

I've spent about $55 on pocket ponies (blind bags), roughly $25 on embroidered ponies, and about $22 on pins so I've probably spent a total of around $102 USD, give or take a few dollars.

Oh wow, I just realized I've spent over $100 on ponies. So that's why I never have any money. :(

No, you just explained on how you are a champion :D
  • Brohoof 1

I've spent about $25 on blind bag ponies (and still no Fluttershy) I have 2 of the brushie hair ones, (pinkie and twi) but I didn't buy them, my sister did. Like a lot of the above posts, I'll probably buy more if they come out with better stuff!

I found a great website were they make eye patches for ponies for people who want to make them like me. So whenever I get started on it I will be sure to share with you guys on how it looks.

This is relevant to my interests. Could you share the link?

I want to get the Gift Set and maybe a couple blind bags...

But I have no money (FRIENDSHIP IS MONEY)... And the cashiers may look at me funny, even if I bring my little sister along.

I make my own plushies, so I don't have to buy them :P And I don't like any of the official merchandise, so the only cost to me is the cost of fabric and other sewing supplies, which really isn't that much.

That's awesome! I suddenly wish I could do that (no sowing skill whatsoever)

Haven't spent a dime myself, always on the lookout for awesome cheap stuff on eBay though.