Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ATHEIST bronies out there?

Uh... Hi, I'm a Nihilist.

...must not shitpost fedora meme...

Are you really, or are you just saying that for the heck of it?

I'm actually kinda intrigued by this, because I do have a lot of nihilistic sort of views. I don't think I'd ever identify as such, simply because of the pessimistic connotation nihilists have.

• Brohoof 1

I never got taught about any sort of religion when I was younger, and I didn't know it even existed. Then when I started going to school sometimes in assembly we had a church minister come in and teach us about the bible and all that jazz. I remember coming home and really thinking about it but none of the story made any sense to me (mainly because I watched hours and hours and hours of documentaries on the sciences). And from that time on I've had 100% atheistic beliefs.

I don't have a problem if anyone is religious though, just to make that clear. Also *Tips fedora*.

• Brohoof 1

While I was born a Christian, and have a patron saint, I do not believe in a God, or Jesus Christ, or the Bible. Or other religions.

I don't criticise others for their beliefs, unless they try to shove it down my throat or harm people in the name of religion.

Are you really, or are you just saying that for the heck of it?

I'm actually kinda intrigued by this, because I do have a lot of nihilistic sort of views. I don't think I'd ever identify as such, simply because of the pessimistic connotation nihilists have.

Yes, I actually am a nihilist.

I don't see it as pessimistic, others might, but I find living by your own values and the idea that your actions don't really matter in the end very liberating.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I actually am a nihilist.

I don't see it as pessimistic, others might, but I find living by your own values and the idea that your actions don't really matter in the end very liberating.

As do I. It comes with the territory of being a free thinker.

It's just... kinda hard to explain that I believe life is meaningless, when I don't actually believe life is meaningless, y'know? I understand what you mean and it makes sense to me, but the trouble is putting it into words that aren't contradictory. The best I can do is say that I believe life is meaningless, but as a result, it is up to me to create my own meaning in life. But a lot of people don't really "get" that.

I wouldn't kill someone, per se, but if nothing really matters (and yes, I do believe nothing really matters), I can't really explain why I would follow such a moral obligation. I can't really explain how it all makes sense, because I'm not sure that it does.

Edited by Admiral Regulus
  • Brohoof 2

It's just... kinda hard to explain that I believe life is meaningless, when I don't actually believe life is meaningless, y'know? I understand what you mean and it makes sense to me, but the trouble is putting it into words that aren't contradictory. The best I can do is say that I believe life is meaningless, but as a result, it is up to me to create my own meaning in life. But a lot of people don't really "get" that.

"Just because we're all doomed doesn't mean we can't have a good time" - Anonymous

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't kill someone, per se, but if nothing really matters (and yes, I do believe nothing really matters), I can't really explain why I would follow such a moral obligation. I can't really explain how it all makes sense, because I'm not sure that it does.

I wouldn't say life is "meaningless" at all. Some people say if life is not about doing X (insert whatever you want to do with your life) then it doesn't have a meaning at all. Some people even say "if your life is not about making god feel good then you have nothing to live for" which i think is a really poor way to look at this wonderful world.

Life is not meaningless, it's just an open space, you're free to do what you want to do, whatever you want to do is fine as long as it makes your time worth something. I remember a long time ago a chess champion said "If you haven't play chess in your life you're missing the best part of it" or something like that and i don't mind that, he loves chess and i love what i do too.

Think of it like minecraft, you choose what you want to do in minecraft. The game is telling you: "Here, have an open space and do whatever you want" that is life to me, it doesn't have a "meaning" but it doesn't mean you don't get to put your time on something you want. Besides, i like chess.

• Brohoof 2

I am Atheist, and living in the American south, kinda puts a stigma on me, im fine with other people having religious views, just as long as they arent like radical about it.

funny story, the year before my senior year i came out as an atheist, and litter ally the first thing i was called was devil worshiper, i became a brony the next year, so all throughout my senior year i was known as the "gay satanist" i was also assaulted by a bible :/

• Brohoof 3

Why would you want to be a Christian if you don't hold any of their beliefs? I thought the whole point of being an atheist was to NOT live based on the assumption of the existence of God. If you want to believe in God, why don't you?

I've switched to Christianity since making that post and no, I don't think I need to believe in God to identify as such. I feel following Christian values has helped me be more open, generous, and forgiving. 

I've switched to Christianity since making that post and no, I don't think I need to believe in God to identify as such. I feel following Christian values has helped me be more open, generous, and forgiving.

Belief in God is the central core belief in Christianity. If you don't believe in God, you're not Christian. Also, openness, generosity, and forgiveness are not exclusively Christian values. They are good values that are taught alongside the faith, but people were open, generous, and forgiving before Christianity. It is entirely possible to be a good person without surrendering yourself to a religion. If you do good things because a religion commands you to, you're doing them for the wrong reason. Edited by Left 4 Dash
  • Brohoof 3

Belief in God is the central core belief in Christianity. If you don't believe in God, you're not Christian. Also, openness, generosity, and forgiveness are not exclusively Christian values. They are good values that are taught alongside the faith, but people were open, generous, and forgiving before Christianity. It is entirely possible to be a good person without surrendering yourself to a religion. If you do good things because a religion commands you to, you're doing them for the wrong reason.

I am a Christian, nobody else can tell me what my religion is. I am aware it's not needed to have these certain qualities but I don't see how I am only being good because of my religion. I can follow my own faith solely because I believe it will better myself. I don't strictly agree with everything written in the Bible but the positive messages Christianity sends can be an inspirational and help me relax.

I am a Christian, nobody else can tell me what my religion is.

You can't just claim to be something you're not. I'm sure other Christians would be none too pleased to hear you count yourself among them without sharing their beliefs. You are allowed to believe whatever you like, and nobody can tell you what to believe or how to feel, but you cannot be part of an organized religion without sharing their beliefs. It defeats the whole purpose of organized religion. Calling yourself a Christian without fully agreeing with Christian teachings would be like me calling myself a Communist without fully agreeing with Communist theory. I'm just saying that in the realm of organized religion, you must fully believe all the teachings of a faith to belong to it. I didn't make up the rules, I'm just trying to help you see them. Also, I never said that you were only good because of your religion. I'm sure you are a lovely person regardless of your religion. I was trying to make the point that religion shouldn't be what solely motivates someone to be a good person.

• Brohoof 1

I'm an agnostic atheist, meaning I don't believe that there is a God/s but I may be wrong. I personally don't mind religion! I just hate the.. well, hate that comes along with it! When I say this, I'm not only speaking of the homophobia, but as well as the racism/xenophobia, misogyny, etc. in it! Of course, religion itself is not hatred, it just has the essence of it. Not to also mention I just cannot connect with religion. To me it's kinda.. silly? Again, no offense to those who do believe in God, Allah, and among other God(s) who they believe exist. Anyways, have a good one, y'all! ;P

Woah, I can't believe this thread is still around!

Great atheist youtube channels to follow:

Logicked: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaFNs3ETMvkmy0JahAS6WJA Criticizes old creationist videos and does comedy skits around them occasionally

Sargon of Akkad: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-yewGHQbNFpDrGM0diZOLA Critisizing feminism, religion, and general stupidity. Gamer, anti-sjw

Thunderf00t: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmb8hO2ilV9vRa8cilis88A Science, debunking, atheist, criticizes feminism

Maddox: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_c1gdsojLxBGkgzS0NsvUw Internet satirist

You can't just claim to be something you're not. I'm sure other Christians would be none too pleased to hear you count yourself among them without sharing their beliefs. You are allowed to believe whatever you like, and nobody can tell you what to believe or how to feel, but you cannot be part of an organized religion without sharing their beliefs. It defeats the whole purpose of organized religion. Calling yourself a Christian without fully agreeing with Christian teachings would be like me calling myself a Communist without fully agreeing with Communist theory. I'm just saying that in the realm of organized religion, you must fully believe all the teachings of a faith to belong to it. I didn't make up the rules, I'm just trying to help you see them. Also, I never said that you were only good because of your religion. I'm sure you are a lovely person regardless of your religion. I was trying to make the point that religion shouldn't be what solely motivates someone to be a good person.

So you think just because someone isn't homophobic means they're not a real Christian too? No, it doesn't work that way. There are no "rules" to following a religion. I can identify however I wish. You have no right to tell someone they're not really a Christian. What does that even mean? It's a set of beliefs. who cares? Honestly, if someone tells me I'm not really a Christian, even if they're apart of the church- then they're wrong because that's the religion I identify under and I know me better than anyone else.

It's a set of beliefs. who cares? Honestly, if someone tells me I'm not really a Christian, even if they're apart of the church- then they're wrong because that's the religion I identify under and I know me better than anyone else.

So essentially, you're saying "It doesn't matter what other people think. I'm Christian because I say so." Not only could that logic be used to justify literally any claim, but such a claim is incredibly disrespectful to Christians. You're basically invalidating their entire religion. You're saying that anyone can be a Christian if they want to be, that their beliefs do not define the religion, and that there is nothing stopping you from being a Christian even though you don't share their beliefs. If anyone can justly claim to be a Christian, then the word Christian loses all meaning. Not only that, but there certainly ARE rules to following a religion. They are the tenets of that religion. "Thou shall have no God but God" and "Thou shall not commit adultery" are just two examples. Your thought process is a selfish, immature, and self-centered one where the definition of what constitutes something can be changed to suit your desires rather than accurately reflect reality. You appear to be someone who believes what makes them feel good rather than what they know they should. If you're not selfish or rude like I've said before, then your posts make you sound like you are. That's why I'm posting. You seem like a really nice person, and I don't like being rude to people, but I want you to understand what you're saying and how others might percieve it. It's about being courteous to others. If I come off as an asshole, it's not my intention. Please tell me if I'm being insensitive.

Edited by Left 4 Dash
  • Brohoof 1

So essentially, you're saying "It doesn't matter what other people think. I'm Christian because I say so." Not only could that logic be used to justify literally any claim, but such a claim is incredibly disrespectful to Christians. You're basically invalidating their entire religion. You're saying that anyone can be a Christian if they want to be, that their beliefs do not define the religion, and that there is nothing stopping you from being a Christian even though you don't share their beliefs. If anyone can justly claim to be a Christian, then the word Christian loses all meaning. Not only that, but there certainly ARE rules to following a religion. They are the tenets of that religion. "Thou shall have no God but God" and "Thou shall not commit adultery" are just two examples. Your thought process is a selfish, immature, and self-centered one where the definition of what constitutes something can be changed to suit your desires rather than accurately reflect reality. You appear to be someone who believes what makes them feel good rather than what they know they should. If you're not selfish or rude like I've said before, then your posts make you sound like you are. That's why I'm posting. You seem like a really nice person, and I don't like being rude to people, but I want you to understand what you're saying and how others might percieve it. It's about being courteous to others. If I come off as an asshole, it's not my intention. Please tell me if I'm being insensitive.

You do realize that Christianity is also cultural and not always spiritual.. right? 

If I practice Christian morals, how am I not Christian? 

No, though? One could say such to your thought process, as it's very close-minded and unaccepting of different points of views. I was raised Christian and was Baptized, while seeing things differently, I identify as what I did when I was born. It might be a different branch in Christianity [Non-believing Christians ARE a branch btw] but the religion and culture is in my family.

You also never answered my question. You think Christians who accept gays are fake? All Christians are homophobic? Is that what you're saying? because clearly we have to follow each and every single 'rule' of the Bible.. right?

Your soul purpose in posting is to tell me I'm rude and immature.. while you're the one calling me names for absolutely no reason? No, I don't see how I'm being rude or disrespectful to anyone for following my own religion.