Alien life thread

Zalgo

Life beyond Earth?  

66 users have voted

1. 1. Do you believe life exists beyond Earth?

• Yes (life does exist beyond Earth)
    • No (life does not exist beyond Earth)
    • Unsure (Its a possibility)
  2. 2. Do you think we'll ever find life beyond us?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • May have already

Yeah, I'm sure that there's extraterrestrial life out there somewhere. The question is whether we'd be able to reach it. I highly doubt we will, even if we managed to reach near-light speeds in our clunky rocket ships, it would still take us some seven years to reach the closest earthlike planet, and there's no guarantee that there's life there we would recognize. 

Even if we do find life, odds are it will be nothing like us. I'm talking non-carbon based life forms, non humanoid life forms. Star Trek's a bit optimistic to assume that the aliens will look like us but with small changes like pointy ears and green blood. If we do find life, it'll either be small, like on a cellular level, or it'll be something that's completely outside our imagination. 

And there's always the question of whether this life would be sentient or simply animalistic. We might get eated.

• Brohoof 1

The universe has been expanding for 13.8 billion years, so there is a large chance that there is extraterrestrial life. Besides, it is estimated that the universe has 200 million galaxies, so there has to be a planet besides Earth that has alien life.

• Brohoof 2

There is sufficient evidence to prove that there is extraterrestrial life outside of our planet,  who knows maybe they're responsible for all the technology we see on the battlefield and that area 51!

640px-ALH84001_structures.jpg
Yes, I believe. I also believe in intelligent extraterrestrial life, however the allusion of whether or not they visit our dinky little planet is debatable. The Universe is the definition of what exists, so in that near-infinite span,we cannot possibly be the only intelligent life that has evolved. 

It is almost impossible for extraterrestrial life to not exist. If the universe is expanding into infinity then there should be an infinite amount of things that have happened, are happening, and will happen. This includes extraterrestrial life, someplace at some time there will be life.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to believe in abductions and such(although, such things are a fun though to humor), but I think it would be arrogant to believe that in the infinite reach of space we're the only intelligent in all of creation.  

My answer: maybe

Life on Earth could be one big fluke for all we know, after all we still don't really understand how the process began billions of years ago. It would be nice if other planets out their did support life though, although it would probably be radically different than anything we've ever seen though. I sincerely doubt we've been visited by aliens, but I'm not ruling out an advanced ancient civilization just yet.

Here's just pretty much my perspective and opinion on the matter. ;)

It actually seems seemingly impossible, nonsensical, and ridiculous to deny the possibility of life out there in the far reaches of our galaxy, our observable universe, and the universe beyond. No one even knows how vast and expansive our whole universe can be. We can make up all the theories and speculations humanly possible but there is no certain way of knowing. There will be no certain way of knowing for awhile...a long while, until light-speed and intergalactic travel becomes efficient enough.(I'm not even so sure that day will come either...)

Scientists have already discovered a handful of planets resembling Earth over the past recent years, which do seem to lie within the habitable zone of their own star systems. And I think I've read an article somewhere mentioning something about the Drake Equation and how due to the numerous amounts of stars and galaxies that this universe encompasses, there is a more than likely possibility of other lifeforms being out there.  wink.png

Heck, aliens, lifeforms, even civilizations could exist in some far away galaxy, beyond the observable universe. The universe is still expanding and creating new celestial bodies on top of that.

I also saw some good points regarding the complexities that go into the creation of life. It's understandable that with one minor flaw, life cannot exist or adapt right to conditions not of Earth. Just one minor, microscopic flaw. But look at the universe, it's seemingly infinite! My sense of logic would tell me that due to the universe's infinite property, it can encompass an infinite array of possibilities. Once you put that into place, probability and the number applications start to lose sense.

It's the nature of infinity, which in turn can set up the possibilities which initially started the popular Multiverse Theory in the first place, but that's whole other story for another topic. 

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 1

I believe there is. I'm not religious at all, but no matter what you believe I feel that life is out there. Whether from evolution taking place on another habitable planet (and on that note I believe habitable can vary and not all require oxygen or the same temperature range as we do) or the almighty one needing more than just humans as playthings or whatever. The universe is just too vast for there to be only us.

I'm with Stephen Hawking though, they are out there and we better hope to never run into them. It'll either be War of the Worlds/ID4 and they will just attack, or it'll be The Day the Earth Stood Still and someone will stupidly open fire on a friendly and start the war. Either way their tech will more than likely be superior to ours since they would be the visitors.

Edited by Puddlejumper
  • Brohoof 2

This is something I actually do think about from time to time, and in my opinion, I have a feeling there is life out there besides us. The universe (or multiverse, if you agree with that theory) is just unimaginably huge. So large that we are limited in seeing all of it by the cosmic speed limit, the speed of light— the so-called "observable universe." I've heard of the Drake Equation several times in my educational career, but even without it, it just seems rather unlikely that we could be the only living creatures in the entire universe.

I have a feeling that whatever else exists, whether it be "intelligent life" like us, or greater, or lesser, they have the same limitations we do in terms of the vastness of space, speed of light, etc., and unless one of us somehow develops a practical means of space travel, we may never meet. At this point in time, we know we are limited, and I wouldn't think it be too far-fetched to believe that if another civilization exists out there, they may have similar limitations.

However, if one day we do meet. I have this funny feeling it won't play out like in any of our sci-fi movies. In movies you often see aliens as creatures bent on conquering our planet, and things like that. What if we are the first lifeforms they've ever encountered outside of their own world? Perhaps they are on the same journey we are, to find life somewhere else, but just beat us to it. They may be more interested in learning about us, than anything else. Think of it this way, if we found life on another planet first, would we try to conquer it? I certainly hope not. I hope we'd be more interested in learning about it.

I would honestly be more worried about one of our kind starting a conflict by assuming they would try to occupy our planet. After all, that's what you've seen in the movies. The reality, if it ever happens, could play out that way, or be very different. Either way, if we discover life, or if it discovers us first, that will definitely be a monumental occasion that will change the understanding of our reality. For better, or for worse.

I believe that it is possible, with the many galaxies that exist, it's almost idiotic to claim that there aren't, although we cannot give 100% proof of them. If there is intelligent life somewhere else, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to contact them, as they are probably trillions of light years away.

There are trillions of planets, and one of them would have to have life on it, although, space is so vast, we probably won't meet them anytime soon.

Plus, there are already a collection of planets discovered that can support life, like Gliese 581 c - we just can't currently confirm that there is life there.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I believe (as in "spiritual faith"), that there is sentient human-like life from outside the habitat planet Earth ("extra-terrestrials" in the strictest definition) in this universe and if not here, then in another one. Also, I believe that if they live in our universe we (the people of Earth) will meet them officially in public sometime in the future (if there is such a thing as "time"), maybe next day, in 5 years, a century or 2 millenia, the coming contact will involve direct personal contact (physical per face-to-face together with body touch or per short-time transmission from starships... yes I believe the aliens have physical bodies with a part humans can recognize as a "face"), no matter who (Terran side or alien faction) will start and no guess on which way it's going to happen (they discover our planet/we discover a colony of them/two spacefleets meet in a barren system). So, if we decide to go into space and don't wipe out ourselves before.

But, to be honest, I think it's unlikely all those crazy alien abduction stories, as most of them are very real-feeling dreams called "sleep paralysis" along "aliens control the government" conspiracy theories about evil shape-shifting lizard people (dubbed "Reptilians") secretly ruling the world through hijacking and manipulation to fight of the "Galactic Federation of Light" and prevent themselves from standing trial before higher-consciousness beings of pure love in the Sirius system are true. Meh.

Space is somehow my faith. Who know's which kinds of people (that's what aliens are, they're persons like us) live out there? There can be so many species created, evolved, manipulated, designed out there for the sake of existing.

Or, maybe I am wrong and just fantasizing because I have a serious reality perception disorder (asperger's syndrome) and read/watch/play/write to much science fiction (Star Wars, Honor Harrington, Battletech, Battlestar Galactica, Dune, Babylon 5)... hmm... no!

Edited by Space Warrior

I believe that there is intelligent life out in the universe, there are just too many planets out there for there not to be. I doubt we will meet any time soon, but it's possible that they have visited earth at some point, if by some chance, intelligent life passed our planet, they would have likely inspected it to see the life forms on it.

• Brohoof 1

Nodoubt. there is definitely intelligent life out there.With the billions of other solar systems out there...scientists actually found a planet similar to ours, and it's something like 40 light years away.

I also think that they're already here,on earth. Liek Area 51...why is it so top secret? that only top brass know of it?

Thinking we're the only source of intelligent life in a universe we've already found to be too large for us to fathom is nothing short of arrogant, imo :3

• Brohoof 2

Thinking we're the only source of intelligent life in a universe we've already found to be too large for us to fathom is nothing short of arrogant, imo :3

that is my thought exacty on exterristal life in the universe. I dont have an opinion on aliens visiting us, I think most of em are just misidenified technology of our own

Expanded a lil bit cause i read and it didnt look right. Thinking we are alone in the universe is completly ignorant the universe is too vast to just say "yeah theres nothing out there" so I beleive in alien life in the universe

Edited by DaReaper

that is my thought exacty on exterristal life in the universe. I dont have an opinion on aliens visiting us, I think most of em are just misidenified technology of our own

Humans thinking we're the only intelligent life, is not dissimilar to how people once thought the Earth was the center of the universe, hundreds of years ago. Same arrogance mindset. Only now, we should all know better to not have such mindsets with science having expanded our knowledge of things and how everything really works tongue.png

• Brohoof 2

yes, i do believe in other life in the universe.

only in our galaxy there are hundreds of planets that could support life. only in our galaxy!

thinking that none of these planets have life on them would be very closed minded.

Edited by repsol rave
  • Brohoof 1

I find it very impossible to think that we're the only intelligent life forms in the whole universe. 

I mean if you think about it there are millions and billions of stars and planets out there and I'm pretty sure there could be intelligent life on one of those planets. . 

• Brohoof 1

Well, as everyone else here already said, it's nearly impossible for life not to exist on other planets, given the gigantic amount of planets there are out there. But I doubt we'll ever meet that other life, it's waaaaaaaaaaay too far away to get to with our tiny space ships.

• Brohoof 1

scientists actually found a planet similar to ours, and it's something like 40 light years away.

Liek Area 51...why is it so top secret? that only top brass know of it?

All so-called "Earth-like" planets we currently have discovered just consist of a rocky terrain and lie within their star's habitable zone like Earth does. It's unknown if they posess water, atmosphere, carbon along other things needed by life, how their surfaces look like and if they are habitable for higher life as we know it and.

Area 51 is a developement center and testing field for high-end military aircraft like the F-111 and Blackbird. It's secret to prevent enemy countries like Sowjet Union, North Korea and China getting their hands on US warfare tech.

Edited by Space Warrior

Yes, since he Universe is huge, and we've only discovered/can see a tiny percentage of it. 

Take the planet Kepler-22b. It's in the habitable zone, so there could potentially be life on it. Intelligent life? No idea.

However, I think that intelligent life must be out there as well, just too far away from us. 

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. 

- Arthur C. Clark

This is what I get for playing XCOM.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that there aren't other forms of life out there in the universe, you'd have to be pretty egotistical or self-centered to think that Earth is the only planet to hit the proverbial galactic jackpot and be capable of supporting life of any kind. Whether that life is intelligent on par or even well beyond the ability of humans is another story entirely, but law of averages says there must be at least another world capable of supporting intelligent life out there in the cosmos.

After all, wasn't that the purpose of Voyager 1's golden record? A message from us to any other life in the universe that basically boils down to "You are not alone." Whether we'll ever meet said life in either our lifetimes or our grandchildren's lifetimes is still unlikely, unless someone can develop FTL travel in the next century or so.