Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will you hate the show if Twilight has too much power?

TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

I have a theory, that Twilight's power is bottomless. But she has mental barriers that prevent her from reaching her true potential. When she was a filly she overloaded in a pure blast of magical energy. We don't even know her raw power as an alicorn LOL I can see it now Pre Crisis Twilight XD. But I can see it happening. Twilight will surpass Celestia and Luna and will become the ruler of Equestria and will inherit control over the sun and moon...After all her name is Twilight. 

An ability that would break Twilight is if she had the ability to phase through bodies.... Maybe pull out a vital organ 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne
  • Brohoof 1

Well, no not really. I mean technically shes more powerful then the others to some extent already. 

I don't think she'll get to powerful before the show ends honestly though.

Even so the other characters just have to remain interesting, and I'll still watch. Heck I'll probably still like twilight anyways.

• Brohoof 5

If Twilight becomes overpowered, her friends will no longer be relevant. The show's entire premise, friendship is magic, is then blown. I would probably stop watching the show if it turned out that way. I think the writers know better than to do that, however, so hopefully, Twilight can maintain an equal relationship with her friends. 

• Brohoof 4

Well they can nerf the other characters too, to make it more fair. Like Rainbow Dash's speed would increase 100 fold. She would be like the female Flash. Apple Jack can also be the pinnacle of pony strength

Well they can nerf the other characters too, to make it more fair. Like Rainbow Dash's speed would increase 100 fold. She would be like the female Flash. Apple Jack can also be the pinnacle of pony strength

What would be the point of this, though? It shouldn't be how powerful the ponies are. The show's never been about that. It's about how powerful friendship is, and how it overcomes the physical abilities of any one pony. MLP is not a superhero show. 

• Brohoof 3

What would be the point of this, though? It shouldn't be how powerful the ponies are. The show's never been about that. It's about how powerful friendship is, and how it overcomes the physical abilities of any one pony. MLP is not a superhero show. 

I don't know. I just like the action stuff a tad more. What I'm spouting is really nothing but fan fodder. What got me into the series to begin with was Rainbow Dash, the songs and the art style

(edited)

Edited by ____

(edited)

I hate to break it to you.  But Twilight is already overpowered.  If she was able to use and control her full power, she could conceivably rival Celestia in terms of magical ability.  Contrary to what alot of people believe, or WANT to believe, students surpassing their teachers is a pretty common idea in kid's shows, and it happens all the time.

As for the question, no.  I wouldn't hate the show.  If that was going to be the case, I would've stopped watching the show two seasons ago. 

Not to mention, she's the mage of the group.  Of course she's going to have the highest magical ability.  I don't know what people were expecting.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight's been overpowered since day one. Anything her friends can do she can do roughly as well. Rainbow's speed? Teleportation. Flying? Spell for that. Bucking apples? Levitation makes it easy.

And no, it doesn't ruin the show.

• Brohoof 1

If twilight got turned into a bigger Mary Sue, I'd just say adieu to these forums and the fandom. Why? I know that to have a good story, the main character must NOT be OP. if they are OP, I stop watching it.

That depends on how overpowered Twilight becomes and how quickly, we know that she is going to get a power boost from her alicorn transformation the question is how big is it going to be? And how much control will Twilight have over all that power? Twilight was already one of the most powerful beings in the history of Equestria before her transformation so turning her into an alicorn this soon and handling it as poorly as they did in the season finale already puts her a lot closer to Mary Sue territory than she should be.

Despite this though since there are far more unanswered questions than confirmed facts there is a lot of room for the writers to take this in a direction where Twilight will get a boost in power but have this boost and further power growth be believable enough to where she does not become a Mary Sue.If she does become so stupidly overpowered that she is a Mary Sue than there is a very good chance that I might hate the show but even if that is not the case I am still going to be very very pissed because that would mean a perfectly good character has been ruined.

• Brohoof 1

I'm typing this on my phone so this will be short. I kina view the mane 6 as super heroes. Twilight can be op. But she still needs to fail from time to time to make her relatable

Yeah Twilight is already overpowered. She can do most things that no other unicorn can do and then she has those power-surges to the point she can't even control her own power.

For reference check Cutie Mark Chronicles, Lesson Zero and Magical Mystery Cure. Although I think Magic Duel tried to prove that Twilight isn't OP by making her fail against Trixie but we all know if Twilight went super god mode then and there she would've surely surpass the power of the Alicorn Amulet. So all in all yes I do consider Twilight more powerful then Celestia and Luna but only when she's in that state.

Being an Alicorn just gives her wings and makes her look pretty. Now I don't care that she's overpowered. I just hope her friends don't become irrelevant and she gets to the point she no longer needs them.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think she would ever be all powerful.  I mean, yeah, she'll probably have/learn more power but I don't think she would suppress both Princess Luna and Celestia. I would always love the show though.

(edited)

Wait... are we talking about overpowered like, she would gain too much power, or overpowered like defeated? Because these comments seem to go back and forth.

For the first one, I tend to agree with most other people on the show, Twilight has always had way more power than the other ponies. She had powers as a unicorn that surpassed Starswirl the Bearded and could rival Celestia herself. That's her destiny, and if it were really that disturbing to me, I'd have stopped watching after Cutie Mark Chronicles. What bothers me about Twilight's magic is how they can't make up their minds on it. In one episode she can screw the laws of physics and slide up the back of a stair case, in another she can fix a giant dam by levitating and forming rocks into one solid stone, then she can't turn an apple into an orange or levitate a bunch of tiny animals?! Make up your mind is she super powerful or not!?

If it's the second one, then yes, I'd love for Twilight to be overpowered... on her own. If her friends are there and she's using the elements then no, she should never be over powered it would ruin the show's point. However, if princessship or what ever the crap it's called were to go to Twilight's head or for some reason she were separated from her friends, I'd love to see her fall and Celestia and/or Luna save her. And for the record, I don't think she'll ever take Luna and Celestia's place. It's possible, but Twilight transended species and became an alicorn because of her magic/personality. She should rule over either Magic or bring harmony or something on those lines, otherwise it won't make much sense. Also, I think Twilight being all powerful without her friends is a stupid idea. If she becomes to sole barer of the elements and is now super powerful on her own, again, the show's point is meaningless. The show isn't My Little Pony Lonership is Magic. It's Friendship, and her friends need to stay a big part of her magic.

I hate to break it to you.  But Twilight is already overpowered.  If she was able to use and control her full power, she could conceivably rival Celestia in terms of magical ability.  Contrary to what alot of people believe, or WANT to believe, students surpassing their teachers is a pretty common idea in kid's shows, and it happens all the time.

As for the question, no.  I wouldn't hate the show.  If that was going to be the case, I would've stopped watching the show two seasons ago. 

Not to mention, she's the mage of the group.  Of course she's going to have the highest magical ability.  I don't know what people were expecting.

I don't agree that she'll surpass Celestia. There are only two options I can see. The writers have already said she won't outlive her friends so either they become immortal/alicorns too (which would be stupid and unlikely), or by default, Twilight is not more powerful than Celestia. Celestia and Luna are at least 1000 years old, they have been powerful enough not only to sustain their own life forces for that amount of time, but Celestia spent a 1000 years single hoofedly controlling the sun and moon with what appears to be ease. Twilight's magic clearly takes much more effort than Celestia's, unless she is using the elements. Twilight can' surpass nor take Celestia's place unless she were immortal, because then what would happen when Twilight did pass on if Celestia and Luna are gone? I'm certain Twilight will be as powerful as Celestia, perhaps even more so when harnessing the elements with her FRIENDS, but Twilight should stay on the same level as the other princesses, otherwise the show is going to get messy fast.

I should... probably answer the question. And the answer is it depends, if Twilight surpasses Celestia and really rules over night and day like you said, yes I'd think the show was stupid and stop watching. Not only are you crapping away two great characters, but that would mean Twilight and all of her friends are immortal, which is stupid. And if Twilight every surpasses the princesses without her friends, I'll also think that is stupid. Not sure if I'd stop watching the show all together, it would really depend.

Edited by Mint_Melody

To me, it doesn't really matter either way.  It would be rather disappointing, but i can never force myself to hate the show for such a silly reason.  The show is still great.  

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't exactly hate the show, but if Twilight was just super perfect and powerful, no doubt she would go from being one of my favourite characters to #6 on my mane 6 list. That would be sad.

I don't agree that she'll surpass Celestia. There are only two options I can see. The writers have already said she won't outlive her friends so either they become immortal/alicorns too (which would be stupid and unlikely), or by default, Twilight is not more powerful than Celestia. Celestia and Luna are at least 1000 years old, they have been powerful enough not only to sustain their own life forces for that amount of time, but Celestia spent a 1000 years single hoofedly controlling the sun and moon with what appears to be ease. Twilight's magic clearly takes much more effort than Celestia's, unless she is using the elements. Twilight can' surpass nor take Celestia's place unless she were immortal, because then what would happen when Twilight did pass on if Celestia and Luna are gone? I'm certain Twilight will be as powerful as Celestia, perhaps even more so when harnessing the elements with her FRIENDS, but Twilight should stay on the same level as the other princesses, otherwise the show is going to get messy fast.

Celestia and Luna are over 1000 years old, this is true.  But you have to think of how long it took them to get as powerful as they are.  It took them over a thousand years.  Twilight is as insanely powerful as she is after 20 years at the most (and if Equestria Girls uses the canon ages of the ponies, then it's more like 15 or 16 years).  After three seasons, she went from being a bookworm with alot of magical ability, to being an Alicorn.  In other words, her magic is mathematically at least twice as powerful as it was in the first episode, after only three years at the most (and it seems like her power has been increasing at a faster pace recently).  Think about that for a minute.  Being immortal has nothing to do with this.

Now let's apply some simple logic.  If Celestia spent 1000 to 2000 years (2000 is more likely) getting as powerful as she is now, and Twilight is as powerful as she is after less than 20 (15 to 16 by new standards), and she doubled in power after such a short time, then there has to eventually come a time when she multiplies her power enough times to become more powerful by default, and that time could be coming soon.

Second, the only reason they can even raise the Sun and Moon is because their cutie marks allow them to do so.  If their cutie marks had been a giant robot and an eagle, they'd probably summon the Megazord instead.  So when you think about it, their abilities to raise the Sun and Moon are unrelated to their magical powers.  And this does make sense when you see episodes like the Cutie Pox, where Apple Bloom got all those cutie marks and then suddenly started getting talents that she didn't previously have.  They flat out said that the talents were because of the cutie marks.  So it (raising the Sun and Moon) has nothing to do with magical ability.  It's done with ease, because their cutie marks allow it to be done with ease.  So that really can't be related to magical ability.

(edited)

I have a theory, that Twilight's power is bottomless. But she has mental barriers that prevent her from reaching her true potential. When she was a filly she overloaded in a pure blast of magical energy. We don't even know her raw power as an alicorn LOL I can see it now Pre Crisis Twilight XD. But I can see it happening. Twilight will surpass Celestia and Luna and will become the ruler of Equestria and will inherit control over the sun and moon...After all her name is Twilight. 

An ability that would break Twilight is if she had the ability to phase through bodies.... Maybe pull out a vital organ 

I just edited the title slightly to remove the ambiguity. You are asking what people will feel about having Twilight become too strong, right? If I have it wrong, let me know.

I side with the people who say that Twilight always was pretty much OP. Her baseline was teleportation, something only Celestia herself has ever been shown to do. Although it would not make her a Mary Sue (my gosh, that term is used way too often), more like an Invincible Boring Hero, if she got too strong.

PS I doubt we will ever see Twilight pulling out someone's vital organs on this show.

Edited by Full Spectrum

Yes I would depending on what you mean by overpowered. If you mean she can shoot giant ass lasers out of her horn to blow up humongous boulders in the middle of the series than yes I would.

I could see that happening at the end of the series to defeat the big bad, but if she gets overpowered right smack in the middle of the series than yes I would.

I think the series should end with the mane six using all of their powers combined to defeat a villian who is like King Sombra X 1000.

(edited)

I'm really more concerned about more *focus* on Twilight, to the exclusion of other characters, not necessarily actual power levels.  The bond and frienship shared between the six of them has been the driving force of the show, IMO.  That should be paramount. 

Though in terms of power levels, I am somewhat concerned to the extent that I'm worried about whether or not Twilight can fix the main problem without major contribution with the others.  That's one of the big problems I had with The Crystal Empire.  The rest of the Mane Six was basically relegated to being just the distraction. 

Will I hate the show?  I dunno.  But I will say it won't be a welcome turn of events if it does happen this way.

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 1

Celestia and Luna are over 1000 years old, this is true.  But you have to think of how long it took them to get as powerful as they are.  It took them over a thousand years.  Twilight is as insanely powerful as she is after 20 years at the most (and if Equestria Girls uses the canon ages of the ponies, then it's more like 15 or 16 years).  After three seasons, she went from being a bookworm with alot of magical ability, to being an Alicorn.  In other words, her magic is mathematically at least twice as powerful as it was in the first episode, after only three years at the most (and it seems like her power has been increasing at a faster pace recently).  Think about that for a minute.  Being immortal has nothing to do with this.

Now let's apply some simple logic.  If Celestia spent 1000 to 2000 years (2000 is more likely) getting as powerful as she is now, and Twilight is as powerful as she is after less than 20 (15 to 16 by new standards), and she doubled in power after such a short time, then there has to eventually come a time when she multiplies her power enough times to become more powerful by default, and that time could be coming soon.

Second, the only reason they can even raise the Sun and Moon is because their cutie marks allow them to do so.  If their cutie marks had been a giant robot and an eagle, they'd probably summon the Megazord instead.  So when you think about it, their abilities to raise the Sun and Moon are unrelated to their magical powers.  And this does make sense when you see episodes like the Cutie Pox, where Apple Bloom got all those cutie marks and then suddenly started getting talents that she didn't previously have.  They flat out said that the talents were because of the cutie marks.  So it (raising the Sun and Moon) has nothing to do with magical ability.  It's done with ease, because their cutie marks allow it to be done with ease.  So that really can't be related to magical ability.

First off, how do you know how long it took Celestia to get that powerful? Maybe Celestia is as powerful as any pony can be on their own (minus the elements) and maybe it hasn't taken her two thousand years to become that strong. We don't have any idea when they became alicorns, or when and if they're powers ever stopped developing. Celestia's powers could be quadrupling right now and we'd have no clue, because they haven't explained it. Your argument of Twilight's age is solely based off of comparing two creatures, yet you only have concrete information on one of them. 

In the Return of Harmony, we see Celestia/Luna's manes have already changed from the regular pink and blue they were as younger alicorns into the more flowing, magical manes they have now. It's perfectly logical to say that magical power in Equestria has a limit, and the sisters have hit it. We don't know how long ago that was, or what age they were, or where they started from but for the most part, there isn't much to suggest Celestia get more powerful at a certain rate as the day ticks on and neither will Twilight. 

And unicorns can do tons of magic that has nothing to do with their cutie mark. Sure it's shown they must do what their cutie mark tells them to do, but magic in Equestria is dictated by spells. Thus if you are powerful enough, you can learn and preform any spell. Celestia's cutie mark could be a sponge and her special talent could be window washing, but that doesn't mean she can't preform other spells. Twilight learns how to cast Rarity's gem finding spell, her cutie mark has nothing to do with gems. Rarity can levitate things quite proficiently, Celestia can shoot laser beams from her horn, Luna can make storm clouds appear and lightning flash, Luna can transform into Nightmare Moon who can take the form or at least create the illusion of many different things, Celestia can apparently open a portal to Sombra land when using dark magic, and put magical locks on things so powerful nopony but Discord (who isn't a pony) could get through, Rarity can magically make mustaches grow into a dragon's face, and apparently cast spells on the weather (albeit poorly). These things have nothing to do with their cutie marks. They're spells, and when anypony is powerful enough they can cast which ever spell they please. I bet as an alicorn Twilight can raise and lower the crap out of the moon and sun, and that isn't her cutie mark or her destiny. This doesn't mean they don't do what their cutie mark dictates, but it in no way restricts them to only that talent, or says anything about their power.

(edited)
First off, how do you know how long it took Celestia to get that powerful? Maybe Celestia is as powerful as any pony can be on their own (minus the elements) and maybe it hasn't taken her two thousand years to become that strong. We don't have any idea when they became alicorns, or when and if they're powers ever stopped developing. Celestia's powers could be quadrupling right now and we'd have no clue, because they haven't explained it. Your argument of Twilight's age is solely based off of comparing two creatures, yet you only have concrete information on one of them.

We know one thing for sure about Celestia's age.  She was an Alicorn the first time that Luna and her defeated Discord.  And that was before Luna was sealed in the Moon.  Therefore, that must mean that it's been well over 1000 years since they became Alicorns (likely close to 2000).  So she's at least close to 2000.  Anything less, and it wouldn't make sense in the continuity.

Secondly, if Celestia was really still multiplying her magical power, then it's likely that the Elements of Harmony wouldn't have become disconnected from her (or at the very least, the Element of Magic wouldn't have).  This is a hard truth about the Elements of Harmony.  They favor those that are the most in tune with their properties.  Twilight of course has the Element of Magic, because she not only demonstrated that spirit, but that is her literal talent (ie she got her cutie mark because of it).  I'm not saying that Celestia isn't still increasing her power.  But it's likely increasing slower now than when she was younger, since the well being of Equestria is likely a much higher priority for her than building up her own magical power.  I'm just saying that Twilight's magical power is increasing faster.   Which is why she gets the Element of Magic.  Anything else, and it simply doesn't make sense for her to have that Element.

Third, I don't think there's any cap on magical power.  You're kind of making this sound like it's Pokemon, where you max out at Level 100, and that isn't really the case.  Otherwise, the remark about Twilight having a limitless magical potential would never have been made.  And the remark about other ponies having limitless potentials wouldn't have been made.

Edited by SBaby

We know one thing for sure about Celestia's age.  She was an Alicorn the first time that Luna and her defeated Discord.  And that was before Luna was sealed in the Moon.  Therefore, that must mean that it's been well over 1000 years since they became Alicorns (likely close to 2000).  So she's at least close to 2000.  Anything less, and it wouldn't make sense in the continuity.

Secondly, if Celestia was really still multiplying her magical power, then it's likely that the Elements of Harmony wouldn't have become disconnected from her (or at the very least, the Element of Magic wouldn't have).  This is a hard truth about the Elements of Harmony.  They favor those that are the most in tune with their properties.  Twilight of course has the Element of Magic, because she not only demonstrated that spirit, but that is her literal talent (ie she got her cutie mark because of it).  I'm not saying that Celestia isn't still increasing her power.  But it's likely increasing slower now than when she was younger, since the well being of Equestria is likely a much higher priority for her than building up her own magical power.  I'm just saying that Twilight's magical power is increasing faster.   Which is why she gets the Element of Magic.  Anything else, and it simply doesn't make sense for her to have that Element.

Third, I don't think there's any cap on magical power.  You're kind of making this sound like it's Pokemon, where you max out at Level 100, and that isn't really the case.  Otherwise, the remark about Twilight having a limitless magical potential would never have been made.  And the remark about other ponies having limitless potentials wouldn't have been made.

I don't believe Celestia is gaining in power, I believe magic has a limit which she has reached. I said all of that to make the point that you couldn't say she's spent 2000 years in order to become as powerful as she is now and only 15 years for Twilight. We don't have that sort of information. Like you said, Celestia and Luna were alicorns when Discord was defeated, and to me, it doesn't seem like they've changed since. The look exactly the same, their manes are the long, flowy, magic manes they have now. 

Sure magic has a limit. Magic in this universe is something that can be controlled, observed, and wielded. It's like strength. For instance Paul Anderson is referred to as 'the strongest man who ever lived' lifting over 6000 lbs in a back lift, but even Paul Anderson couldn't lift a 747. Strength has a limit, and I strongly believe that magic has a limit in Equestria, or at least the magic that any one creature can preform has a limit. Obviously some creatures naturally have more natural magic strength, draconocis or what ever the hell Discord is obviously has amazing magical power, as well as unicorns and alicorns. Alicorns are most widely believed to be the most powerful magically, but I believe even they have a limit when standing alone without the elements or help from others.

Also we don't know why Celestia and Luna aren't connected to the elements anymore. The elements didn't all bow down to Twilight, she was in a specific situation with a specific group of ponies and the elements attached to one of each of them. Twilight is a big part of it, she is not the sole barer of the elements and they don't not greatly respect her for her power.  There is no information that tells us the elements left Celestia because she didn't suit them or wasn't powerful enough. More likely, the disharmony between her and her sister severed her ties with the elements, since they were both wielders of their power and now one or both of them represented the very opposite of their power, harmony.