• AZERTY
    • QZERTY
    • US-Dvorak
    • US-Dvorak (left hand)
    • US-Dvorak (right hand)
    • Plover
    • Other? (Please specify in post)

(edited)

So, knowing that this is the internet, we all need a form of input to post our text on this glorious medium.  I am here to ask which layouts you prefer to type.  Why do you like that? Do you type faster? Ergonomic reasons? Lingual reasons? (Specify in post)

Personally, I just started Dvorak recently, and am switching between QWERTY and Dvorak.  I chose USA-Dvorak due to the large typing speed increase.

Dvorak layout:

img-1446861-1-dvorak.gif

EDIT: just found an extra keyboard *changes keys*

Edited by Rainbow Dashey
  • Brohoof 3

I use a QWERTY, not any specific reason, but I guess if any it's because I grew up using them and learning a new one sounds like a pain. I've got more important things to worry about besides learning how to type from the ground up again.

• Brohoof 1

Oddly enough, I was thinking about the keyboard today and wondering how it was made, who made it, why it's not just "ABCDEF..." and what determined each letter's placement. I was completely unaware that other layouts existed lol I use QWERTY

• Brohoof 1

Oddly enough, I was thinking about the keyboard today and wondering how it was made, who made it, why it's not just "ABCDEF..." and what determined each letter's placement. I was completely unaware that other layouts existed lol I use QWERTY

It wasn't made ABC... Due to the letters on a typewriter, which would jam up when strokes were quickly placed closely together, that is why QWERTY was made, and is still the default english method.

It wasn't made ABC... Due to the letters on a typewriter, which would jam up when strokes were quickly placed closely together, that is why QWERTY was made, and is still the default english method.

what. lol. I know it wasn't made ABC, otherwise that's what everyone on the QWERTY format would be using right now, right? :P i iz confuzzled

what. lol. I know it wasn't made ABC, otherwise that's what everyone on the QWERTY format would be using right now, right? tongue.png i iz confuzzled

I was just answering why it wasn't ABC, and I don't think we would change to an alphabetical format because it would be more inefficient than QWERTY.  Your hands would be making many strokes with the same finger per word.

I prefer QWERTY, although that may be because I haven't tried the other layouts. QWERTY is what I grew up with, so the others would probably feel unnatural (and I'd lose the ability to touch type). I can usually type in excess of a hundred words per minute on a QWERTY keyboard, so speed isn't a concern at the moment. That said, I wouldn't mind giving the others a spin someday. Maybe I'll grow to like them. 

• Brohoof 1

I personally stick to good ol' QWERTY. I originally learned it as a child and have been using it ever since. Switching to a new layout would be too difficult for me.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer QWERTY, although that may be because I haven't tried the other layouts. QWERTY is what I grew up with, so the others would probably feel unnatural (and I'd lose the ability to touch type). I can usually type in excess of a hundred words per minute on a QWERTY keyboard, so speed isn't a concern at the moment. That said, I wouldn't mind giving the others a spin someday. Maybe I'll grow to like them. 

Yeah, I am similarly in around 90-95wpm on Qwerty.  But from what I'm seeing, if I can touch type Dvorak, I should be around 140wpm. (goal anyways.)

I use QWERTY keyboards naturally. It's what I grew up on, and is what I feel most natural using. WASD controls are the most popular, so I like to keep with what I know fluently.

Unless keyboards and input methods increase dramatically in a short period of time, I doubt I'll be changing anytime soon.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I am similarly in around 90-95wpm on Qwerty.  But from what I'm seeing, if I can touch type Dvorak, I should be around 140wpm. (goal anyways.)

Whoa, is the speed increase that much? Is accuracy compromised at all? If I recall correctly, QWERTY's layout was designed to minimize the chance of typos. 

Whoa, is the speed increase that much? Is accuracy compromised at all? If I recall correctly, QWERTY's layout was designed to minimize the chance of typos. 

Yes, around 30-40% increase.  Qwerty wasn't so much for typos, but to keep typewriters from jamming.  But the disadvantage to Qwerty is that it took the most commonly used keys and spread them apart.

• Brohoof 1

Ha, I remember back in high school my nerdy friend tried to convert me to a Dvorakian, but it didn't sit well with me. Like others have stated here, I grew up with QWERTY, and it shall remain my favored layout till the day I die. Not because I don't believe the claim that Dvorak is more efficient, I just hate having to relearn fundamental aspects of life that I've been doing since...well,

• Brohoof 2

I use QWERTY, because that's just the way I've been typing since the beginning of my days. I've never really used any other type of keyboard, but it looks like it would get a little hard to get used to! That's just my opinion. I will most certainly try the other types one day, though, just to see how it would feel. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

what. lol. I know it wasn't made ABC, otherwise that's what everyone on the QWERTY format would be using right now, right? tongue.png i iz confuzzled

I was just answering why it wasn't ABC, and I don't think we would change to an alphabetical format because it would be more inefficient than QWERTY.  Your hands would be making many strokes with the same finger per word.

Here's a video I saw a while ago explaining the keyboard layout... I wish I could change the keyboard layout on my laptop here.  I think I'd benefit from it myself.  I am an above average (speed wise) typist, I know I would benefit and be more productive because all that times adds up you know?

Edited by MeanBlackHawk
  • Brohoof 1

Here's a video I saw a while ago explaining the keyboard layout... I wish I could change the keyboard layout on my laptop here.  I think I'd benefit from it myself.  I am an above average (speed wise) typist, I know I would benefit and be more productive because all that times adds up you know?

That was AMAZING xD I am chuckling a bit from that.  That was what I was getting at with the whole, 'typewriter thing' (This explains it better.)

You can actually remap your keys, built-in on windows and probably Mac, to another layout. Dvorak is built in to windows if you change your keyboard language.

That was AMAZING xD I am chuckling a bit from that.  That was what I was getting at with the whole, 'typewriter thing' (This explains it better.)

You can actually remap your keys, built-in on windows and probably Mac, to another layout. Dvorak is built in to windows if you change your keyboard language.

Yes, but the issue would be the wrong letters.  I could remap it but I wouldn't even be able to see the layout unless looking at a picture otherwise.  It'd be even harder to learn than if I had a USB keyboard to unpop the keys and put them back in.  Once the keys are set in and printed on the laptop keyboard they're forever stuck there.

Yes, but the issue would be the wrong letters.  I could remap it but I wouldn't even be able to see the layout unless looking at a picture otherwise.  It'd be even harder to learn than if I had a USB keyboard to unpop the keys and put them back in.  Once the keys are set in and printed on the laptop keyboard they're forever stuck there.

Well, learning to type without looking at the keyboard would make you type faster.  I've been using 2 sites for dvorak.

http://learn.dvorak.nl/?lesson=1

http://www.powertyping.com/dvorak/typing.html

(The first one shows the keyboard under the words and can do sections at a time)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I dunno. The Dvorak keyboard seems a huge improvement over the QWERTY, but at the same time I think it will feel kinda weird. Mostly because I've only typed with a QWERTY in my whole life. tongue.png

Edited by caramba2654
  • Brohoof 1

QWERTY because it's the only comfortable way to game because of the way games were designed and the like. Plus, it's just what I'm used to.

QWERTY because it's the only comfortable way to game because of the way games were designed and the like. Plus, it's just what I'm used to.

That is why I have it set to be able to change it back at any given time for games and other programs that I like to have my shortcuts set  in stone.  But for typing, I will use dvorak.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I use qwerty although I could change the keycaps around rather effortlessly if I wanted to try a dvorak keyboard. I mostly use this because it's pretty much the standard at all the schools I've been to as well as the default of all the keyboards I've ever owned.

Learning to type with a new typeset could be interesting, but it would be difficult going from muscle memory back to making sure that my fingers hit each correct key press. Heck, my typos are already poor enough!

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

That is why I have it set to be able to change it back at any given time for games and other programs that I like to have my shortcuts set  in stone.  But for typing, I will use dvorak.

Starting typing in dvorak as well sir, thanks for the link.  I think it will be very helpful to learn.  It's def. worth it.  Productivity will sky-rocket. (:

• Brohoof 1

I've been typing Dvorak for a few months because I got awful wrist pain and stiffness with QWERTY. I'm still not perfect with Dvorak, but I do like it a alot better. No more wrist pain. ^-^

I switch to QWERTY when I game, and I can go between the two formats pretty well. QWERTY is a little awkward, but I manage well enough.

• Brohoof 1

I only ever used QWERTY. I can type pretty fast on QWERTY, but it always bothered me knowing that i could type faster with Dvorak. I am really tempted to try a different layout.

• Brohoof 1