Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony know any defence fighting techniiques?

Goodra

Me, I'm a tough guy, a stallion if you will, but almost every time me and one of my friends "play fight" on our free time, I loose. Anyone got any good defense techniques that are easy to master and hard for the opponent to evade?

Edited by Big Macintosh
  • Brohoof 1

Read topic title as "defence against the dark arts"

As for the real Q, sorry, don't know of any myself. If I had to play fight, I'd just try to pull off some WWE wrestling moves. I'd be partial to Shawn Michaels' Sweet Chin Music (superkick)

(edited)

Read topic title as "defence against the dark arts"

As for the real Q, sorry, don't know of any myself. If I had to play fight, I'd just try to pull off some WWE wrestling moves. I'd be partial to Shawn Michaels' Sweet Chin Music (superkick)

By "Play fighting", i mean 'grabs' not kicks or punches, we basically try to throw each other to the ground. I can take a bunch of hard hits but am having a hard time delivering grabs. Edited by Big Macintosh

Well, I had a defense class at college a few years back. We didn't do anything for offensive skills, so I can't give you any tips for attacking, but there are a number of tricks for twisting out of attacks someone else throws at you. There's one, the best way to avoid a hook punch, is to stand sideways to the attacker, and as he throws a punch, bring up your closest arm fast to deflect it, then twist and grab his wrist as it passes, at the same time rotating back on the ball of your closest foot. Plant your other foot when it comes all the way around, then quickly extend your free hand into his shoulder and push. His own momentum plus that should be enough to send him to the ground, then you have the advantage.

As far as wrestling moves, you probably know plenty of those. I can twist out of a few, but again not so much with delivering attacks. I'm mostly good at getting away. :P

Oh yeah, and this is a bit of a dirty trick, but you know a solid knuckle jab to the chest, right at the center base of the rib cage, where that soft fleshy part is, can really stun an attacker for a moment. Hurts too. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I am not much of a martial artist, so the most I can do is tell you to look up "Muay Thai" videos on youtube, and make sure your jaw doesn't drop below bedrock.

It's really hard to learn any of these moves from a video (sometimes filmed by a calculator or potato camera...) But sometimes you can get the just of it. I've surprised my brother in a couple "play fights" this way. :D

Krav Maga is what I use. It's an Israeli self defense system that blends pretty much everything from advanced martial arts (Jiujitsu, Samba, etc.) and traditional street fighting. You learn easy and effective takedowns as well as weapon disarming techniques. And you can crack somepony's bone in half if the situation calls for it. This fighting style is extremely simple to learn and quick to master as it uses your natural reations to situations. Use it wisely. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

Edited by Kodiak
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't took any official classes, though my father (who is in the military) showed me some basics to protect myself, and I've learned a little bit more from them. I'm not a guy to go out and pick a fight though, I have better things to do in my free time.

Best way to win a fight is to play dirty. Never play fair unless its a friendly fight. Other than that, just be the first to move, otherwise you'll be stuck on defence for awhile until you see an opening. 

If you're just interested grappling, and aiming to fight friends and not people you honestly want to mutilate, then I recommend keeping it simple. Don't get all fancy, without training you will probably hurt yourself and look silly. In general, don't spread your fingers when grabbing, that's just asking to get caught on something, and fractures and broken fingers are a bit irritating. Bait your opponent in and make a quick move, either that or just charge in and overwhelm them.

Considering everyone on this site is drawn together by a show about love, peace, and friendship, some of the suggestions I've seen are a bit...out of place.

I shouldn't say this but I will. Pretend to trip and fall backwards. When they advance put one foot in front of their foot and hook the other behind their knee. As you rise, it will bring them down, putting you on top. Target the weight supporting leg.

What you need to do is keep your guard up at all times, stand with all of your weight on your back leg (keeping it in parallel with your shoulder) and put your front leg at an angle to your back leg. Keep your hands up in front of your chest and keep your head as low as you can. Also, watch their chest instead of the arms. If they go to feign an attack, than you'll see the real attack before they go in for the punch, so you will have more reaction time.

Keep your guard up (meaning: don't open up your face or stomach), keep your stomach tight and your mouth clenched, keep your back straight, never turn around/give them your back, keep your hands in a loose fist (you only want someone to twist your fingers once. Actually, you never want that to happen), and try to get get three points of contact. Hmm... This is going to be a longer post than I thought.

Try to keep your mouth and stomach tight, but everything else loose. If you constantly flex your muscles, you'll become fatigued rather quickly.

By keeping your guard up, I don't mean cover your face with your arms and never striking. I mean that you should never give your opponent an opportunity to strike you. The best way to do this is by keeping your elbows right in front of the lower portion of your ribcage. Your hands should be in a very loose fist, with the fingers held together. Only make a full fist just before making contact with your target.

If you give your opponent your back (I.E. turning around) you instantly lose the fight. That opens you up for chokes, headlocks, bear hugs, ect.

Above, I mentioned that you should try to get three points of contact. The human mind, especially that of males, is not the most capable at multitasking. We can perform, on average, two tasks with attention to detail. Three tasks will cause our brains to become confused. For gaining three points of contact, all you have to do is touch three different areas simultaneously. If you put one hand on the should, another on the elbow, and then place your foot on your opponent's, you're in one of the best possible positions to take the balance of your foe.

Concerning balance: the structure of the human body is shaped like an I-beam. To take the balance, just disrupt the spine's natural positioning.

If all else fails, you could always "loosen up" your opponent. By that, I mean a quick strike to somewhere on their body.

Some words of caution: avoid hitting the knees. They are very fragile, and easily damaged. I speak from experience on both the receiving and the giving end of these injuries.

Yelling "Krav Magar!!" at someone and then punching them is effective xD

(seriously tho, thats a pretty brutal martial art, developed to keep your ass from being killed so yeah.)

As a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I know quite a few techniques. 

My favorite one would be the inside wrist lock. I actually had to do this on a kid who was getting me very annoyed. He grabbed my arm and looked me in the eye with a "what are you gonna do wussy?" in the eye. I then twisted is wrist hard and took him down to the ground. When someone grabs you, in order to perform a wrist lock, be sure to grab their had hard and pull it off when they least expect it. This technique is all about speed, how fast you can execute it. Do it too slow and they can counter. 

Also, when someone comes at you with a jab or a cross, you can actually grab that hand and pull them in for a knee to the stomach. This will allow you to either keep going or call for help, depending on the situation. 

When someone grabs you, it is best to hit them somewhere that is a distraction, the most common area being: the groin. Hit them hard their and they lose their grip on you, which leaves you with a chance at taking them down or knocking them out depending on the situation. 

The most important thing is when to use the techniques. Be conscious of the situations you face. 

Sounds more like you need to look at grappling. Also, akito.

You mean Aikido? That style has its merits but its practice is much more spiritual in nature rather than used strictly for fighting. Much like Tai Chi or Buaguazhang. They're all internal arts which focus on the directing one's own energy and redirecting that of the opponent. But if you're looking into strictly defensive fighting arts, although Judo or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are pretty good, they're ultimately used for sport and wouldn't really do much against striking arts. That's why the best fighters learn both striking and grappling styles like what you see in MMA, so I think the best thing would be just that.

There's also Bujinkan Budo (altho its origins are questionable) which teaches some useful things about dealing with armed adversaries, but one thing I recommend more than anything is that nothing you learn from martial arts would be useful without physical conditioning. That's why legends like Bruce Lee trained for hours every day to maintain their strength and stamina at optimal levels. You have be as skilful as you can ever be but you can do nothing if you encounter a wild Arnold.

The thing with martial arts the way they're taught today is that they don't teach you all the foundations for dealing with a street fighting, for instance. They're either taught to keep healthy, have some knowledge of self-defense (whether it's Judo or Karate that you do) and/or used for sport. Any style can be used for self-defense if you have the right mindset, and that's what matters more than anything.

P.S. I only know veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery little martial arts, I've just done a lot of research so I'm not trying to be an expert or anything >.>

Edited by Freedan

I can judo, karate and some jiu jutsu.

I usually run at them, caching the opponent between my legs mid air. Then I twist to the side and BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM. No resistance, just try to not cause any injuries. It's almost imossoble to fail at, learned it in third grade and have been very effective at incompotent bullies. yay.png

(they never see it coming)

Two years later...

When I was a mere child, and didn't know how to do almost anything, my mother signed me up for some sort of Karate Class. After about a month, we had this stupid little Karate demonstration. It was so humid, and there was one big fan, teetering side to side.

Since then, I've never really had the motivation to take classes on using self-defense.