Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Twilight Sparkle A Murderer In "Too Many Pinkie Pies?"

Winona the Dog

Wat

Of course she wasn't murdering anyone. All the clones went back to the pool.... Unless you're under the belief of that conspiracy which states the real Pinkie was accidentally zapped back into the pool :o!

But that makes me wonder... If they were all exact duplicates of Pinkie, having all of her exact same thoughts, mannerisms and memories, then does it really matter which one was sent back to the pool?

But that makes me wonder... If they were all exact duplicates of Pinkie, having all of her exact same thoughts, mannerisms and memories, then does it really matter which one was sent back to the pool?

Yah, but the clones were a lot more frantic and.. Well too... Too something! I'm trying not to say crazy.

I don't think they were actually killed. This episode is actually a parody of an older story. I remember there being an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode(yeah, I'm that old) where the wrong person got sent back, but I would be surprised if even that was the original story. Of course in a series like this, the real Pinkie Pie would be safe. There was absolutely zero chance that she would have been sent back. I think those Pinkies were just bodiless constructs who lived in the mirror pond, and who just take on the form of whoever calls them forth. If anything, Twilight just robbed them of their time as Pinkie Pie.

Granted, the mirror pond was sealed at the end of the episode too...maybe they'll be discovered again centuries later. It is unknown how long these things live, or how often they reproduce, but it's doubtful that sending them back killed them. They're probably used to biding their time till they're summoned. That could also explain why the Pinkies were quick to multiply without the real Pinkie's consent. They wanted all their brothers and sisters to get the chance to leave the pond. Actually, if they're bodiless constructs, that would make them genderless, and likely asexual...I'm really over-analyzing this.

• Brohoof 1

They didn't have Pinkie Pie's memories.  Pinkie had to tell the clones the names of her friends.

Ok so you may be reading this topic and immediately thing "NO WAY!" But just hear me out. This is the first time I'm going to go deeper within a MLP episode and I for one think Too Many Pinkie Pies is by far one of the darkest MLP episodes ever made.

In the episode, we briefly got to know Pinkie's first clone. In those few minutes, after her first initial bursts of "fun! fun! fun!", she clearly displayed her ability of rational thought and emotion. Just re-look at this scene and tell me you don't feel sorry for her.

img-1524527-1-640px-Pinkie_Pie_copying_h

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing Pinkie's clones clearly lacked was life-experience. Running around, breaking things and causing havoc ... They simply didn't know any better.

img-1524527-2-640px-The_barn_collapses_S

..the episode ended with Twilight blasting about 40 completely innocent ponies to Luna-knows-where. Not out of malicious intent, or an out-of-character behavior, but because she and everypony else was too focused on solving a "problem", and apparently did not even treat them as actual ponies, as seen when Dash just dumped the "original" Pinkie into the others.

img-1524527-3-640px-Rainbow_Dash_carryin

img-1524527-4-640px-Rainbow_drops_Pinkie

They treated her along with the rest of her clones as mindless drones (is that really how they see Pinkie Pie anyway? A mindless pony?)

I know, the episode stated she was going to "send them back" to the Mirror Pond, but that's not what it looked like when watching those poor Pinkies violently exploding by the dozen, and what does "sending them back" even actually mean?

img-1524527-5-640px-Pinkie_Doppelganger_

(Looks to me that Twilight meant "sending them back" seems a bit misinterpreted.)

It's not like they even existed before Pinkie went to the pond and spoke the lines "[...] solemnly sweared not to be scared, at the prospect of being doubly mared!"

Banishment as the best-case scenario. And then, what it's even like on "the other side"? What are the living conditions? How much space is there, even? So they're not only banished to the other side of a mirror, but imprisoned in a cave in the place they've been banished to?

Geez, talk about Twilight being a hypocrite.

...well, that's what I'd say if Twilight had any idea about what she had even done here at all. Which she doesn't. Heck, nopony even thought about it.

Instead, everypony in town - including Rarity and Fluttershy (!!) - literally crowded on Twilight right in front of the library, demanding her to deal with the crisis despite her not being responsible.

Twilight, under pressure and too focused on "solving the problem", doesn't give it a second thought what she's actually dealing with... and ZAP, ZAP, ZAAAP.

img-1524527-6-640px-Rarity_raging_throug

(Damn! Even Fluttershy is pissed!)

attachicon.gif640px-Twilight's_horn_is_red_hot_S3E3.png

(The problem is "solved")

Literally, that was the darkest ending to an episode I've ever seen.

And that says a lot for an episode with +40 happily bouncing pink ponies.

I mean, I was literally sitting there at the end of the episode thinking to myself "... yeah, Pinkie learned a valuable lesson about friendship, that's nice, but I want to know WHAT THE HAY HAPPENED TO THE THREE DOZEN INNOCENT PONIES THAT TWILIGHT JUST ZAPPED?!"

img-1524527-8-640px-Pinkie_laying_on_the

(The real Pinkie you knew and loved is gone forever!)

When you put it that way i guess it's pretty dark. I wonder if we will ever find out... And how do they know it's the real pinkie that stayed there. Our attention spans all differ from day to day. Maybe the real Pinkie didn't have her shreddies that day *GASP*

When you put it that way i guess it's pretty dark. I wonder if we will ever find out... And how do they know it's the real pinkie that stayed there. Our attention spans all differ from day to day. Maybe the real Pinkie didn't have her shreddies that day *GASP*

"Here we have a pony who knows everything about everyone in town... how can we determine which is the real one?"

"I know! Let's devise a test out of the thing she's worst at, and make it an elimination match, so we'll know the one that lasts longest is the real one!"

Frickin' dumb...

I go w "Twilight (& the others) just didn't think of the clones as sentient creatures."  As to whether that was accurate, IDK. I'd go w "probably not".  I point out that the fact they were different & not carbon copies was the whole point of the test.

As to the one Dash dropped in being the real Pinkie Pie.  I thought she was the one having the existential crisis in the outdoor café & that was the real one.

Pinkie has been less irresponsible since then because she went through a selection process & Darwin was right 

Sorry everypony but I have to disagree, in my opinion the Mirror pool scans and copies a physical form perfectly but can only have the clones mimic whatever trait the original was thinking about at that time. Pinkie was thinking about all the fun she was missing out on so all the clones only got the fun trait. I do agree that over time the clones could begin to act like normal ponies but could Ponyville really handle that many Pinkie Pies? No. So Twi banishes them back into the mirror pool where they will disintegrate back into fun and magic that will be either returned to Pinkie and Twi or the next time the Pool is used it will be released and spread across Equestria. Either that or the Pinkies are sent out of Equestria to other countries to bring happiness. Yes, when Twi pretty much blew one up it seemed a little violent but giver her a break, the whole town was pressuring her!

• Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the necro-post.

I believe she murdered them, and I think she even 'sent back' the REAL Pinkie Pie. As when we first saw Pinkie go through the pond, she WENT THROUGH the pond, she didn't just recite the spell.

154867__UNOPT__safe_pinkie-pie_animated_

And I think she went into another universe, or the Pinkie Pie we saw first was in the other universe. The lack of knowledge of friends and decent into madness from the 'copies' could simply be because going through the pool does that to ponies. The ponies are clearly sentient, as they form sentences during the paint scene, and obviously can speak and retain information. Maybe the dumbing effect wears of after a few hours, just in time for the paint experiment.

And I also think she killed the real Pinkie, as there was clearly one Pinkie out of the two Pinkies left that was nervous about the experiment and clearly wanted to win. Or if that wasn't the real Pinkie maybe the real one was killed by being distracted by another pony, because clearly being distracted equates to not being real.

The whole thing about them being made out of magic is just nonsense, as magic is not the explanation for EVERYHTING!

• Brohoof 1

It didn't sit well with me. And the test didn't seem particularly fail-safe. "Let's see which Pinkie doesn't act like Pinkie in this scenario and that's clearly the Pinkie that is the real Pinkie." Okay, what?  Pinkie IS Pinkie. She could have failed it too. How about interview them all and seeing which ones have the most memory and seeing if they could recall facts and life events only the real Pinkie would know. Also, the real Pinkie was the only one moping and looking depressed at her mistake. Nopony noticed.

For someone who relies on logic and science Twilight's method was neither logical or scientific in my opinion.

Edited by Aurora Storm
  • Brohoof 1

The long answer, yes, technically she was killing Pinkie Pie clones who, as far as they were concerned, were the real Pinkie Pie.

Like in the film The Prestige. Every night he'd clone himself and he'd drown while his clone would live on. He mentions that he is always afraid of whether he'll be the one viewing the audience or if he'll be the one who drowns. Of course, it's obvious that this clone will end up drowning when he does the magic show, but what this reveals to us is that the clone has all the memories of the original and even at one point tries to prevent the original Hugh Jackman from shooting him (the clone).

Both the clone and original felt like they were the original.

And considering that none of the Pinkie's would admit to being a clone, this implies they all want to live and therefore aren't just figments of magic. They had memories and personality and to get rid of them with poofing magic, yes, Twilight murdered a bunch of Pinkie's

The short answer https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uisHMG3Uiyc

Edited by pollo20x6
  • Brohoof 1

I found it a bit strange as well but from what I feel the Pinkie Pie clones were nothing more than a part of Pinkie Pie like the strands of her mane. They only represented part of her crazy random fun side but not her serious side. So she was only losing strands of hair that was being troublesome.

But you can keep taking it another way if you want...

• Brohoof 1

Idk, I guess that depends on whether the Pinkie clones were legitimate organic brings or whether they were shallow magical copies with no true cognitive abilities or not. If they were 100% magic, then it's probably ok, although you could look at it the same way as the androids/replicants in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?/Blade Runner. If they're indistinguishable from regular life forms, can you really deny that they're living beings with the right to love? Idk maybe. They were pretty annoying after all :P

I think the Pinkie Pies are all a product of magic, formed by Pinkies desire to have more playmates to have "fun" with. Things that are produced by magic are not living beings in my book and are more comparable to robots or machines in general.

So no, Twilight is not a murderer.

• Brohoof 1

This is still something I can't believe people are buying. The Pinkie clones were a product of the mirror pool made entirely from magic, all caricatures of the real Pinkie Pie, nothing organic about them. And Twilight merely sent that magic back to the mirror pool

There's unfortunate implications, and then there's making up extreme garbage that no reasonable human being would ever believe

Edited by Santa Megas

Probably. I mean, she did remove 20+ creatures with definite souls, or even just fractions of souls, from the plane of existence by blowing them up like balloons. That pretty much counts as murder, I believe.

No. She didn't kill any of them. She just forced them back from whence they came. By magic created, by magic undone. :)

And I personally was not worried about Twilight sending the real Pinkie back. She could have, yes. But she didn't. :P Besides, didn't Lauren Faust say that logic isn't something they are overly concerned with when writing the episodes?

• Brohoof 1

I guest the closest way of thinking this is like Naruto's shadow clones. They all share similar characteristics, all seem alive but are all just a part of the original Naruto. When he releases them and disappear he gains all their experiences at once.

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2013 at 8:04 PM, DiscordAnarchy said:

There were several ways for Twilight to overcome both obsticles. The parasprites did not need their very being altered in the least bit. Now that they were sent to another city, the shall devour the building materials there. Some will be coated in paint which is posionous to animals which will kill the poor darlings!

Black magic, purple magic, yellow magic - the fact is that she uses her abilities for chaotic neutral instead of good. At least Discord had every ponies' interes in mind!

And what interests were those, again? Are ponies generally interested in living in a chaotic nightmare hellscape from which there is no reprieve, and a slow descent in to madness and suicide? Or maybe they're interested in having their entire food supply destroyed by chocolate milk rain, causing famine on a global scale?

(edited)

Isent it more or less pointed out in the episode that they don't really have all the mental/emotioanal development as Pinkie?
I Mean they are more frantic, no real control (Even by pinkie standards)

And I think they where getting dumber/less controlled as they got copied.

Also Agree Twilight is a murderer..... But she's also above the law.

SHE IS A ALICORN PRINCESS! (Or would be in a few episodes)
AND ROYAL ALICORN BLOOD TRANSENDS TIME AND SPACE!

GOOD AND EVIL! AND THE LAW!

DO NOT QUESTION GODDESS ALICORN TWILIGHT POWER OVER LIFE AND DEATH!

IN PLACE OF A TWILIGHT, WE WOULD HAVE A PRINCESS TWILIGHT, BUT BEAUTIFUL AND TERRIBLE AS THE TWILIGHT! TREACHEROUS AS THE SEA! STRONGER THAN THE FOUNDATIONS OF EQUESTRIA! ALL SHALL FRIEND HER, AND DESPAIR!

But really man your overthinking this... its just a kids show....

Also what we should really be worried about is that the missed a pinkie clone....

Now back to my studies of the Equenomicon and Atempts to raise our dark lord Colth'lu.

Edited by blackstarraven

I guess this could make some pretty interesting dark fics when you think about it.

But I am more curious on what would happen if Twilight sent the real Pinkie back through the mirror pool, assuming she didn't actually do that.

who do people conveniently choose to forget the line Twilight says about her sending them back to the pool? And we see the spell take them back to it. So why is anyone calling Twi a murderer, in spite of all the evidence against it?

• 11 months later...

I think it is murder... and i think there is a good chance they killed the real Pinky. Up to that point she never had any memory problems but she started to forget things not long after that episode. It's a case of something being alive with sentient feeling... and the clones definitely count. Some of the clones are even in hiding. It's pretty clear they fear being killed.