Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you think Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry are old news?

Sugar Pea

In other words, why do you think these two broke up in the first place?
They never really revisited the fact that Flash was Sunset Shimmer's ex boyfriend, so it's only fair to see what fans of Equestria Girls have to say about this.

Hm. Very good question you have here. Honestly, since Equestria Girls is a one-shot deal [as of now], I think that plot element was put in there just to make here run ins with Flash more of a big deal. So...I don't think there is a real answer to this, only speculation.

Currently, I am thinking they dated initially because of physical attraction, yet they broke up because as most of us know relationships don't last with attraction alone. If you are well versed in high school movies of the 80's to the late 90's, this cliche is very prevalent, yet with little explanation. Go figure. haha.

• Brohoof 8

It sounds like an idea that could've created a bigger conflict with Shimmer and Twilight but obviously it didn't.  The whole mentioning of him being Shimmer's ex just seemed kinda pointless.  I don't remember Shimmer and Sentry even interacting in the movie.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I kinda wonder how Shimmer even got a guy like him in the first place...I suppose the whole thing was supposed to be a plot device I think, but it got lost somewhere. I do not recall Shimmer ever using that as a motivation for anything, though that would have been a bit strange. 

Nemesis hooks up with your ex kinda not really = Multi-dimensional conquest. 

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I haven't seen EqG yet, but my headcanon is this: Flash dated Sunset because of initial interest, then broke up with her when he realized they weren't very compatible. Maybe she did something that wasn't very nice, and that was the final straw for him. I don't know if they state how long the two dated, but if they don't, it was probably only a month or something. High school relationships usually aren't well-planned and usually don't last.

Edited by Spring Storm
  • Brohoof 2

Flash will be part of EQG I'm sure.

FiM universe Flash was just meant as a silly tease I think.

My guess is that when EQG is a series, the EQG universe' true Twilight will pick up where she left off while pony Twi will return to her old life, with the movie existing to form a bridge and explain how these universe are related and make people believe there is a universe full of colorful humanoids parallel to ponies.

• Brohoof 2

Flash will be part of EQG I'm sure.

FiM universe Flash was just meant as a silly tease I think.

My guess is that when EQG is a series, the EQG universe' true Twilight will pick up where she left off while pony Twi will return to her old life, with the movie existing to form a bridge and explain how these universe are related and make people believe there is a universe full of colorful humanoids parallel to ponies.

Answer to #EquestriaGirls question I have a feeling i’ll be getting a lot today: Flash Sentry is not a character in #MLPFiM season 4."

So Flash is confirmed to not be in season 4, it seems he was just a tease.

• Brohoof 1

Never actually thought about it before. Question would be which of them dumped the other one.

Anyway, I guess Flash just didn't obey Sunset as much as she would have liked him to.

It is most likely either due to Flash Sentry finding out that Sunset Shimmer's true nature which made him lose interest in her and break up with her or Sunset Shimmer was using him to gain status and dumped him when he was no longer of any use to her.

• Brohoof 2

People think that Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry probably were in a relationship before Twilight came along. I'm pretty sure, that those two probably had bad blood way before this.

I think that the only way that Flash being Shimmer's ex actually made itself purposeful in the movie was so that Flash would be more motivated to help Twilight. When he saw the destruction of the gym, he knew that something was up, so he went to look for evidence.

It seems to me that Flash was really the only one who knew just how diabolical Sunset Shimmer could be. Everyone else in the school was like, "Yeah, she's mean but whatever, I'm sure that all the bad stuff that's happening is just bad luck or something." The only character who would have been motivated to look for evidence of Twilight's innocence would have been Flash. The rest of the Mane 6 would have too, except that Flash knows Shimmer's tricks, and he knew where to look for evidence.

It baffled me during the movie why Flash would date Shimmer, too. Flash seems like a genuinely good guy, and him dating shimmer didn't make sense to me. But Flash must have been different before the events of the movie. Not much different, but different.

My theory is that he broke up with her. How they got together? She flirted with him and Flash saw it as a status climb. They stayed together for a little while, and even though Shimmer was mean, Flash stayed in the relationship for the physical parts (whether or not that means sex in the EqG universe is probably up for interpretation - if not then we can leave it to making out). But eventually, he couldn't handle her anymore. Maybe she did something really REALLY bad that he witnessed, or he just kept tolerating her normal behavior but ran out of tolerance for it. So he broke up with her, because the physical relationship was not worth keeping to him anymore.

I sorta wish it went somewhere in the movie. there was potential to use it as a plot device, heck I wish Sunset Shimmer actually did go through the portal and start to terrorize the Crystal Empire. Would have been epic to see how it would have been to see twins of every pony, making it much more chaotic and a stronger climax. But that's beside the point. I think sunset was trying to be an innocent for flash but then he caught her doing things to sabotage other people into hating each other. Then she tried to retract and he'd seen enough so he broke up with her. That's why he instantly helped Twilight because he has a good heart and knows that Sunset is a brat.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Saying he was her ex wasn't completely pointless. It might have made Twilight feel worse for liking him. It was just another twist in the movie. Although I must admit I thought there might be some jealousy from Sunset after noticing Twilight's feelings but.. Nah.

As for why he was with her in the first place and why they broke up.. Well, Sunset gets what she wants. She probably liked the look of him but then got bored of him and dumped him. Or he came to his senses and dumped her, although that wouldn't have gone too well. Maybe that's why she was bitter - she would be fuming if he left her and without her consent, so perhaps she was just ruling the school in a rage of heartbreak.

Edited by Dashabel
  • Brohoof 1

Saying he was her ex wasn't completely pointless. It made Twilight feel worse for liking him. It was just another twist in the movie. Although I must admit I thought there might be some jealousy from Sunset after noticing Twilight's feelings but.. Nah.

I have watched the movie a bunch now (thanks youtube!) and I didn't see any of those things. She did not show a hint of guilt and Sunset a twinkle of jealousy. Not even between lines.

• Brohoof 1

It sounds like an idea that could've created a bigger conflict with Shimmer and Twilight but obviously it didn't.  The whole mentioning of him being Shimmer's ex just seemed kinda pointless.  I don't remember Shimmer and Sentry even interacting in the movie.

My only guess is that 'Equestria Girls' had a lot to work with, but just not enough. So, I think they added that little bit of infomation as part of the very thin amount of filler that is in this movie.

It baffled me during the movie why Flash would date Shimmer, too. Flash seems like a genuinely good guy, and him dating shimmer didn't make sense to me. But Flash must have been different before the events of the movie. Not much different, but different.

One thing I have noticed with a lot of good people is that they often see the best in people which is good but can sometimes develop a blind spot which causes them to fail to see the negatives in people. My Mom suffers from this big time so in part because of this my brother and I can be a bit protective of her sometimes. This may also have been the case with Flash Sentry as well.

• Brohoof 2

Well, i was kinda stunned that she had even had a "Ex-Boyfriend" you must be a real man to break up with her as it seemed like everypony was afraid of her. Well, you never got to know who broke up but after all twilight thought it was strange that she'd haven't done anything awful to him yet. So i guess it was him breaking up.

But first, i guess he broke up via a note/text or something like that. I don't think he would have any manners saying it to her face to face. And i guess he broke up with her cause she was an upright bitch. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think he would have any manners saying it to her face to face. And i guess he broke up with her cause she was an upright bitch. 

If he did do it by call, email or text than it is probably due to the fact that he was so disgusted with her that he just didn't want to see her anymore than simply him being rude, or maybe he just didn't want to cause a scene.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My favorite parts with him are when he defends Twilight against the fake evidence and when he joins her in that "OH-MY-GOD-KILL-IT-WITH-FIRE"-dance.

However, apart from one line, we're given absolutely NO connection between him and Sunset whatsoever. What was the point, then? Nothing. They might as well have said, "Oh, he used to date Sunset Shimmer, and did you know he's also the son of Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra? No? Well, just thought you might like to know. Oh well..."

Edited by Anti-Villain

One thing I have noticed with a lot of good people is that they often see the best in people which is good but can sometimes develop a blind spot which causes them to fail to see the negatives in people. My Mom suffers from this big time so in part because of this my brother and I can be a bit protective of her sometimes. This may also have been the case with Flash Sentry as well.

I like the headcanon that you are putting into my brain.

It would make sense if he was like this too, because he didn't laugh at Twilight with the rest of the school. Could be in part of Sunset Shimmer being responsible and he didn't want to be involved with something that she was planning, but that only made his "see Twilight at her best" approach even stronger.

I like the headcanons. I like them lots.

• Brohoof 1

I think the answer is a bit more basic, or maybe base. Sunset Shimmer held on to enough of her pony nature to find mere bipeds to be revolting. Flash dumped her when she wouldn't, uh, "You know" with him in the back seat of his car.

I think the answer is a bit more basic, or maybe base. Sunset Shimmer held on to enough of her pony nature to find mere bipeds to be revolting. Flash dumped her when she wouldn't, uh, "You know" with him in the back seat of his car.

I would say that Flash isn't a typical "I only care about sex" kind of guy, only because this is MLP and if there was any kind of back story about their relationship in the movie, it wouldn't be this.

However, that is the only thing that we can go off of. Because we barely know anything about Flash. So we don't know if he isn't that kind of guy, do we?

Flash dumped her when she wouldn't, uh, "You know" with him in the back seat of his car.

Flash like most guys probably is interested in sex at least on some level, but he dosen't seem like one of those guys who pressures girls into it to me. If sex had anything to do with it at all and I don't think it did than it might have been because Sunset Shimmer was teasing him if you know what I mean. Sure it is not good when guys pressures girls for sex but some manipulative ones like Sunset Shimmer can sometimes use it to get what they want and there are few things that are more annoying than being led on.

• Brohoof 1

Flash like most guys probably is interested in sex at least on some level, but he dosen't seem like one of those guys who pressures girls into it to me. If sex had anything to do with it at all and I don't think it did than it might have been because Sunset Shimmer was teasing him if you know what I mean. Sure it is not good when guys pressures girls for sex but some manipulative ones like Sunset Shimmer can sometimes use it to get what they want and there are few things that are more annoying than being led on.

Also, I feel like if he was that kind of guy, because he dated Sunset Shimmer and therefore the whole school probably knows who he is, Rarity and the rest of the mane 5 would have made it clear that Flash Sentry isn't someone that she wants to be around, not just that he was Sunset's ex and therefore it would make her angrier if Twilight decided to go out with him.

Granted, adding that in would have made things more complicated, and if Twilight decided to dance with him at the dance despite her friends' warnings, it would send a TERRIBLE message to girls - "even when your best friends tell you that the cute guy that you have a crush on is a sleezeball, go ahead and date him anyways because he's soooo cute!"

(edited)

I think it's pretty simple. Sunset Shimmer had become increasingly nasty and cruel, and this is evident in the fall formal photos of her where you can see how her attitude had gotten worse each year. In her freshman year, she looked sweet and friendly. In her sophomore pic, she looked mean, and in her junior photo, she looked downright maniacal. Flash Sentry is a good guy, and he probably tried to hang in there and be supportive of her, but there came a time when enough was enough, and he dumped her because of her rotten attitude. I'm sure she became demanding, possessive, and cruel to him too.

I doubt it's anything deeper than that. smile.png

Edited by Sugar Cube