Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"The Stars Will Aid in Her Escape"

--Thunder Bolt--

I just re-watched the S1 E1&E2, and I noticed something odd.  In the prophecy about the return of Nightmare Moon, it is said that "the stars will aid in her escape."  In the symbolism of the three main Princesses, Twilight is "the stars" (her cutie mark).  Does she in some sense make it possible for Luna to escape the Moon?  Or could the prophecy be more directly related to the end of the episode rather than the beginning?  After Nightmare Moon gets blasted by the EoH DNA Rainbow, we next see Luna huddled amidst the fragments of her Nightmare Moon self.  Instead of sending her to the Moon as Celestia's use of the Elements did, the M6's use under Twilight's aegis "breaks her out."  Could there also be an element of retroactive causation, in which the zap from the EoH is also the force that breaks Luna out of the Moon?

• Brohoof 2

I just re-watched the S1 E1&E2, and I noticed something odd.  In the prophecy about the return of Nightmare Moon, it is said that "the stars will aid in her escape."  In the symbolism of the three main Princesses, Twilight is "the stars" (her cutie mark).  Does she in some sense make it possible for Luna to escape the Moon?  Or could the prophecy be more directly related to the end of the episode rather than the beginning?  After Nightmare Moon gets blasted by the EoH DNA Rainbow, we next see Luna huddled amidst the fragments of her Nightmare Moon self.  Instead of sending her to the Moon as Celestia's use of the Elements did, the M6's use under Twilight's aegis "breaks her out."  Could there also be an element of retroactive causation, in which the zap from the EoH is also the force that breaks Luna out of the Moon?

Hey! Leave Princess Luna alone! She's sorry for what she did in the past and she is a better pony now. It's not nice to bring up somepony's past like that. Forgive and forget.

You know you got me thinking, maybe the whole "the stars will aid in her escape" thing was just referring to the fact that Luna would use the stars to escape from her prison.

Or maybe her "escape" has to do with twilight freeing Luna from nightmare moons grasp.

Interesting to say the least.

Although twilight doesn't actually have control over the stars technically, and her cutie mark represents the elements of harmony surrounding her, as she is the element of magic. She doesn't have any power over the stars, only Luna does.

Still an interesting thing to think about.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm. I always thought that the "stars will aid in her escape" part was just a bunch of hooey (as Applejack would put it).

In my little head canon, after Celestia used the EoH on one if it's own bearers, the "Harmony" was lost, and the power of the Elements slowly deteriorated until it was finally weak enough to allow NM to escape. This was why Celestia prodded Twilight to make friends, because that was the only way to restore harmony.

• Brohoof 2

Hey! Leave Princess Luna alone! She's sorry for what she did in the past and she is a better pony now. It's not nice to bring up somepony's past like that. Forgive and forget.

I'm not sure where you got the impression I'm picking on Luna.  blink.png   I'm just curious about Twilight's role (if any) in freeing her from the Moon, and pointing out the possible symbolism of Twilight "aiding in her escape" from the bonds of the Nightmare Moon persona.

Hmm. I always thought that the "stars will aid in her escape" part was just a bunch of hooey (as Applejack would put it).

In my little head canon, after Celestia used the EoH on one if it's own bearers, the "Harmony" was lost, and the power of the Elements slowly deteriorated until it was finally weak enough to allow NM to escape. This was why Celestia prodded Twilight to make friends, because that was the only way to restore harmony.

In the episode, just before Luna escapes, you can see stars (it looks like four of them on YouTube) moving toward the Moon, and there's some twinkle effects indicating her escape.  In the story, this would have taken just before sunrise--a "twilight sparkle," only the dawning of the next day is temporarily interrupted.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not sure where you got the impression I'm picking on Luna.  :blink:   I'm just curious about Twilight's role (if any) in freeing her from the Moon, and pointing out the possible symbolism of Twilight "aiding in her escape" from the bonds of the Nightmare Moon persona.

Lol I was just kidding. :lol: If anything, I would say Celestia did more to aid in her escape than Twilight did since Celestia revealed at the end of the episode that she knew Nightmare Moon's plan all along. I don't think Twilight really did anything to aid Nightmare Moon's escape at all.

I always thought the start will aid in her escaped line, just meant the alignment of these start well help her. Meaning once the star are at the right point, it well break the seal around her and she well be free. Kinda like in the Hercules movie, when the planets were in alignment to set the titans free. I don't think there was any other force at work.

As for the elements, I just thought once Celestia used them on NMM, she lost the powers to use them.

I always thought that maybe that this was hinting at something more then just Luna. I mean, most of the things Twilight does were related in a star manner. I thought, perhaps, that she would have gone far. The stars being figurative to the friends and Twilight needing to escape how she is:A pony who would rather study then really be with friends. I thought that the "stars" aided her through out the series and started helping her "escape" her past. 

This.

My super-official head canon is that over a period of a thousand years, the original Elements deteriorated in power through a combination of being used against one of the Bearers of Harmony, the other Bearers facing rifts in their friendship, some Bearers going bad, and stagnation; Celestia and Luna's initial villain-take down spree probably cleared the land of any evil that required the Elements' intervention(my other head canon is that the Elements won't intervene in stuff like wars and cultural rifts like in Hearth's Warming Eve, which begin and end with the regular ponies).

Well, part of it was the literal stars. You know, when Nightmare Moon appeared, stars were seen moving toward the moon. But, Twilight also helped Luna escape from the monster within.

• 3 years later...

Hello everypony. I noticed my comment here is late and would love to add what I think of what it means for "the stars will aid in her escape".

I remember learning that Lauren Faust included various character names and designs from a variety of mlp generations. I recently watched an episode from "My Little Pony Tales" called "Up up and Away", the one about Patches and Bonbon going up in the hot air balloon.

The balloon looses fuel and a bird pokes a hole causing it to fall to shark infested waters. Right as the balloon was about to crash into the water, a mysterious glowing UFO comes to the rescue. Instead of it being an alien, it's actually four glowing magical ponies, one being named Bright Glow. The balloon is repaired using magic and the two ponies return to land and are safe.

At the end of the episode, Patches returns to pony point (a mountain cliff side) where the UFO was first seen and talks with the four magical ponies again.

Fast forwarding to mlpfim s01e01 where Nightmare Moon was about to escape, and there are -four- stars moving closer and crashing into the moon, releasing Nightmare Moon from her imprisonment.

I truly believe, that those four stars from mlpfim, we're the four magical ponies from "My Little Pony Tales".

:)

Maybe she manipulated the stars to help her escape or it could also be meant to sound poetic or riddle-like, people used stars as a compass to guide them to places when there was no maps, GPS etc. I don't think it has anything to do with Twilight.

Edited by cider float

maybe. but you got me curious. there could be a metaphoric thing in the prophecy. maybe in an alternate time line, luna never leaves the moon. and in the future the princesses realized they need Luna, so Celestia sends twilight to make this "prophecy" and sending her to the day the prophecy said nightmare moon escapes. so the stars will aid she escape could be just that, that twilight will aid her escape.

Plot armor. Everything is in Luna's favor. The Elements of Harmony, the stars, maybe the whole universe. Or Luna is just that powerful that she guided the stars herself. Soon to be confirmed in season seven. Woooooo!

I've seen this before (ICR where) so I'll just repost it.

Look at Twilight's Cutie Mark

Remember, more than 1 her escaped that night -including Luna

Remember most Royals have a meaningless but poetic title or 2.

If you assume 1 of Luna's was "The Eternal Night" or "The Unending Darkness" or some such

Then the "she" in the prophecy was obviously Twilight and the prophecy made perfect sense and was completely accurate (if a bit poetically expressed)

This ties in to the question "What did Celestia know and when did she know it?"

To me it's like in alot of shows when something cosmic happens then shit happens. Like every show has something when all the planets align  and everyone gets stronger or whatever. I think it's the same thing.

Also I think Celestia didn't have full control over the elements of harmony, she needed Luna to use them properly and that's why she was sent to the moon. On accident. I don't think Celestia was like "Imma send this bitch to the moon!"