Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Exactly how much influence do we have on the show?

Onylex

So, I have recently re-watched the Equestria Girls movie and I have noticed a lot of things in the movie that I didn't notice the first time I watched it. A lot of the things I did notice, seemed to be hints and shout outs to the fandom.

An example of this would be when Vinyl's glasses are taken off, and you see her true eye color for the first time. I know that seeing her eye color was something that was wanted by the fandom for a long time. There was also a scine where Rainbow dash picks up Scootaloo and fly's her around the room. Hints to a future Rainbow and Scootaloo episode perhaps?  My guess to this would be one of two things, the creators put these seines in the movie by coincidence or perhaps they purposely did this to make a shout out to the fandom.

A little while back I made a similar post to this one but, this time Im certain that we have a bigger influence on the show then we might think. In that post some people thought it was a good thing and some people thought it was a bad thing that there was this kind of interaction between the creators and us, the fandom.

My question to everypony is how much of an influence do you think we actually have on the show, if you do think we have one. And do you think that these seines were hints/shout outs to the fandom or that Im just taking this to far and that they were more likely to only be coincidence? Id also like to see what your thoughts are if you still think this is something you look forward to or dislike.

• Brohoof 3

Exactly, I noticed a bunch of those easter eggs! Why is easter not a word... Anyways, I'd say the fans have somewhere between 10 and 70 percent of the show's influence. My guess would be over fifty percent. Good post!

• Brohoof 1

To be frank; the whole Equestria Girls movie seemed more like fan service than it should have been.

This is a similar question asked at the writers panel at Brony-Con. Someone asked do the writers add things for the brony fandom to enjoy. The reply was that the writers continue writing as they did for season 1 meaning that they write for little kids and for parents that watch it with them. They are aware of the fandom so my guess is that they add little tid bit's for us from time to time.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn
  • Brohoof 4

Maybe a bit too much. Fanservice might be a nice thing, but if they do more and more shoutouts, it becomes boring.

I don't really need that and I don't think they should think that they have to do that. Because they don't. I hope season four doesn't go the same way like Equestria Girls.

You can argue about it's quality, but the movie was overfilled with references and shoutouts and that is not really a sign of quality or creativity. Just my opinion, sorry.

• Brohoof 3

i think they write the show as they normally would for the most part, but with the fandom around feel the ocasional want to throw random tidbits in as shoutouts to the fandom i guess.

I don't find it to much or anything, frankly i think its nice, i don't think its really an issue at the level its at honestly. Its pretty minor in most of the show, most dominant it was in EqG's but that might be because it was targeted at bronies more in the first place.(Atleast more then MLP.)

• Brohoof 2

Maybe a bit too much. Fanservice might be a nice thing, but if they do more and more shoutouts, it becomes boring.

Yep

This is exactly why season 3 wasn't as enjoyable as the previous seasons. (And the fact it was 13 episodes shorter) Hopefully they will avoid using fan service too much in season 4.

Infulence, truthly I dont think we have any influnce on the show itself as a whole, writers just acknowledge the fandom and throw a shout out here and there while still targeting their target audience

• Brohoof 1

Exactly, I noticed a bunch of those easter eggs! Why is easter not a word

Because Easter is a holiday so the first letter is capitalized. =P

img-1721223-1-THEMOREYOUKNOW.jpg

OT: According to EG a little to much. IMO the movie had way to many nods to the fandom they should have use some of that time to progress the story. I mean yeah I liked those but I mean come on just put into the background and don't shove it into our faces.

When we see it in the background (like derpy or something) it feels special when we see it. If it's just shoved into the face of the audience it just seems like it was shoehorned in for no reason.

As far as the show is concerned the fandom dosen't effect much maybe with a few exceptions like with names of some of the background characters. The fandom really only effects the merchandise.

Edited by Rappy0
  • Brohoof 2

i think they write the show as they normally would for the most part, but with the fandom around feel the ocasional want to throw random tidbits in as shoutouts to the fandom i guess.

I don't find it to much or anything, frankly i think its nice, i don't think its really an issue at the level its at honestly. Its pretty minor in most of the show, most dominant it was in EqG's but that might be because it was targeted at bronies more in the first place.(Atleast more then MLP.)

I completely agree with you there. I know saying this makes me a minority, but I loved the little shoutouts they made here and there. My favorite example of that was scoping out all the ponies from the show in the hallway scene. It was like Where's Waldo, except with ponies.

Edited by Rockymoo
  • Brohoof 2

An example of this would be when Vinyl's glasses are taken off, and you see her true eye color for the first time.

Uhm, dude, in 'A canterlot Wedding' vinyl takes off her glasses. We've seen her eyes before, it wasn't really anything new. I think it was more used as a 'Twilight showed us how to look at things differently' metaphory thingy.

To answer your question, 5. We have 5 influences. Level up! 

I completely agree with you there. I know saying this makes me a minority, but I loved the little shoutouts they made here and there. My favorite example of that was scoping out all the ponies from the show in the hallway scene. It was like Where's Waldo, except with ponies.

I enjoy them aswell frankly, i think in moderation they can make the show more enjoyable, atleast to me.

Now of course there is a to much point, but i don't think the show has got near that point yet at all frankly.

I enjoyed the little fan mentions and hints in EqG's aswell. Aswell as within the show itself.

• Brohoof 2

It is said that without bronies, the show would have never gotten this much attention.

I'd say that is 75% true.

While we do have a lot to do with the show, naturally, My little pony is a market franchise from Hasrbo to sell their toys and move on to the next wave of generations.

But luckily, thanks to us, I can be safe to say that we do have a big of an influence towards the show like the acknowledgement of Derpy. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Uhm, dude, in 'A canterlot Wedding' vinyl takes off her glasses. We've seen her eyes before, it wasn't really anything new. I think it was more used as a 'Twilight showed us how to look at things differently' metaphory thingy.

To answer your question, 5. We have 5 influences. Level up! 

Yes, but a lot of people were still unsure as to what her eye color really was. My guess is that they just assumed her eyes were red. She did take them off in a previous episode before hand but, the was real no clear view. It was just kind of something that happened and at the time I dont think the creators purposely made her take off her glasses. In the EqG movie it was obvious that they tried to make a shout out to the fandom with that seine. I mean what other purpose would that seine serve other than to please the fandom.

Edited by Onylex

Yes, but a lot of people were still unsure as to what her eye color really was. My guess is that they just assumed her eyes were red. She did take them off in a previous episode before hand but, the was real no clear view. It was just kind of something that happened and at the time I dont think the creators purposely made her take off her glasses. In the EqG movie it was obvious that they tried to make a shout out to the fandom with that seine. I mean what other purpose would that seine serve other than to please the fandom.

0.jpg

If you can't tell the eye color, you have some serious eye issues, and you should get them checked out :P

I don't think it was solely fan servicing.

• Brohoof 1

img-1723191-1-0.jpg

If you can't tell the eye color, you have some serious eye issues, and you should get them checked out :P

I don't think it was solely fan servicing.

Yeah, I guess but, what was with the rainbow and scootaloo seine? I think that I just might be going a little overboard with this but, I really want to know.  :o

I know we started Derpy, he was originally an animation flaw the brony community pointed out. i know they also released a song for Equestria Daily, i don't think that we affect what actually happens in the show almost never, but they do release content for bronies.

• Brohoof 1

An example of this would be when Vinyl's glasses are taken off, and you see her true eye color for the first time.

There was also a scine where Rainbow dash picks up Scootaloo and fly's her around the room.

Two things:

1) We've seen Vinyl without her glasses before. This isn't the first time.

2) Rainbow and Scootaloo are pals. There was an episode about it before. How is that a shoutout to us?

But luckily, thanks to us, I can be safe to say that we do have a big of an influence towards the show like the acknowledgement of Derpy. 

And whining cunt soccer moms have a greater influence towards the show like the destruction of Derpy and ironically awful implied lesson of "The mentally handicapped should be hidden away at the whims of angry people who complain about them."

Anyway, our influence is 16, exactly.

Edited by Xanatos

I hope that they keep writing for children and their parents. We need the diversity in programming that MLP, Adventure Time, Regular show have created. It allows us to wholesome entertainment that is also entertaining. There are a lot of adult shows that a great in their own right. Walking Dead, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure etc. but its nice to enjoy something with a zombie's head being bashed in, or many of the other things more mature shows have. Once you start marketing toward a different audience, that is when your product changes.

• Brohoof 1

I know we started Derpy, he was originally an animation flaw the brony community pointed out. i know they also released a song for Equestria Daily, i don't think that we affect what actually happens in the show almost never, but they do release content for bronies.

You know, Iv always heard about how they released a song but, Iv never been able to listen to it mostly because I cant seem to find it. It is up on EqD, I would love to see it.

Yeah, I guess but, what was with the rainbow and scootaloo seine? I think that I just might be going a little overboard with this but, I really want to know.  :o

That was just a reference to something that had happened in the actual show.The two are parallel worlds, so similar things are supposed to happen. Personalities, events, and the like.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Two things:

1) We've seen Vinyl without her glasses before. This isn't the first time.

2) Rainbow and Scootaloo are pals. There was an episode about it before. How is that a shoutout to us?

And whining cunt soccer moms have a greater influence towards the show like the destruction of Derpy and ironically awful implied lesson of "The mentally handicapped should be hidden away at the whims of angry people who complain about them."

Anyway, our influence is 16, exactly.

I mentioned the rainbow thing because Iv seen a lot of talk about a deeper rainbow and Scootaloo relationship. I guess some of the fandom are hoping that rainbow will teach Scootaloo to fly or something...

I also mentioned how they showed off Vinyl's eye color because I assume that the have noticed the fan art with Vinyl and how her eye color is red and kind of tried to point out what her real eye color is.

Edited by Onylex

I mentioned the rainbow thing because Iv seen a lot of talk about a deeper rainbow and Scootaloo relationship. I guess some of the fandom are hoping that rainbow will teach Scootaloo to fly or something...

I also mentioned how they showed off Vinyl's eye color because I assume that the have noticed the fan art with Vinyl and how her eye color is red and kind of tried to point out what her real eye color is.

The Scootaloo episode sets up a possibility for more between the two. It'd be more a sensible progression than a fan thing, I think.

They pointed the eye color out enough when people first saw her eyes. Endless hordes of idiots cried that it was red so as to validate their pitiful fanworks so the MLP crew had to take to the internets correcting them. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Aside from the various nods and shoutouts toward the fandom, I cannot see the brony community having any other influence upon the show in anyway.  Seeing as these scenes and add-ons do very little, if anything at all, in affecting how an episode progresses or anyother interaction with the cast, they are rather harmless and are just a little nod of acknowledgement from the staff.  So long as these shout-outs are kept secondary and do not affect the flow of the show, I honestly look forward to finding these little easter eggs.  It is almost like the 'extras' section of a DVD; it can be most enjoyabe to watch but can easily be ignored.

• Brohoof 2

I would say some, not to much but not to little. Sure they use some of are ideas or maybe even do something we ask for from time to time but not all the time, which I think is a good idea. Because lets face it some ponies out there have some odd ideas. Now as for the movie I think they did some things in there for us the fans and some of it was because they wanted to, or I could be all wrong about all this

• Brohoof 1