Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Twilight getting too much attention?

Forlong

I was just curious and made a tally of episodes focusing on the major characters.  This is what I came up with.

1. Twilight Sparkle (11 episodes)
  2. Applejack & Pinkie Pie (7 episodes each)
  3. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, & Spike (6 episodes each)
  4. Fluttershy (5 episodes)
  5. Applebloom (4 episodes)

Maybe this is why the writers made Twilight an alicorn, so they could spend more time developing the other characters.

Doubt it. Twilight is still living in ponyville so she can eat all the screentime she wants. :P

Would be nice to see more episodes revolving around the others all the same.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 2

Well Twilight is kind of the main character...or at least she was originally. If you watch the first episodes of the show, it is very clear that Twilight is the main character of the show. Therefore that's why she receives a lot of attention.

Edited by Champion RD92

In my opinion, the focus of the show has always been on Twilight. The show is about the magic of friendship, Twilight's element of harmony is friendship, she is the first character we are introduced to, she has the most character development, and she is portrayed as the leader of the Mane 6.

She's the leader of the mane 6 more or less, It makes sense for her to have a bigger bulk of the episodes

Also, Fluttershy only has 5 episodes?...

-Dragonshy

-A Bird in the Hoof

-Green Isn't Your Color

-Putting Your Hoof Down

-Hurricane Fluttershy

-Keep Calm & Flutter On

That's 6(unless you left out GIYC on purpose)

• Brohoof 2

Twilight Sparkle getting a large amount of attention is understandable considering she is in fact the de facto leader of the mane 6, her very element is the other 5 combine so what does that tell you? But without the others her element is completely worthless which indicates the others are important as well. While twilicorn was introduced suddenly in a season that otherwise had little to do with it there is still a danger that Twilight could overshadow the others if it is not handled properly. Because of this change Twilight Sparkle is going to be getting a lot of attention I would argue she should have gotten sooner as part of the neccessary plot and character development to make the change work, but that still dosen't change the possibility of going overboard with that.

Do to its rough start finding this balance will be more difficult than it should have been but is still quite possible and there are some encouraging signs in season 3. Applejack who has long been overshadowed has gotten her due in season 3 with some of the best leading and supporting roles she has had so far. And we got see sides of Rainbow Dash previously only hinted at with her standing up to Lightning Dust and starting a sister like relationship with Scootaloo. But Pinkie Pie has been weakened as a character with her serious and thoughtful side being neglected in season 3 and her being dumbed down a bit and Rarity being virtually ignored or her vanity being overplayed for the sake of comedy. Overall I am cautiously optimistic about season 4, I am looking on the bright side while ackoledging some potential pitfalls. I guess we will just have to wait and see what are able to do, the long gap has been painful but has given the writers plenty of time to work out the kinks.

Don't forget the movie :P

I personally enjoy the show and Twilight as a character far more when she isn't pushed to the forefront by the plot, so I'd say she gets more attention than I'd like for her to get. The issue for me isn't so much on the amount of episodes she's received, which is probably skewed a little by the absurd amount of screentime she got in Season 1, but how she's handled in the premiere finale episodes. The last one of those that balanced the time between the characters in a way that I enjoyed was The Return of Harmony. I also doubt making her an alicorn will do anything to change this, but time will tell.

I was just curious and made a tally of episodes focusing on the major characters.  This is what I came up with.

Maybe this is why the writers made Twilight an alicorn, so they could spend more time developing the other characters.

Actually, if anything Princess Twilight will probably have MORE time focused on her because everyone will want to know what her new job entails, how it affects the dynamic, what she's a princess of, etc.

Twilight is like the leader of the Mane 6 in a way, also that she was the main character of the show in the first episodes of the show. She will have more time focused on her and her friends individually because we want to see how Twilight handles her duties as a princess as a continuation of Magical Mystery Cure.

IMO yes but not in the sence of number of episodes but more in sence of the 2 parters. Last time we had a 2 parter that had all 6 given equal attention was back in the beginning of season 2.

Since then the mane 6 outside if Twilight have just been pushed into the background even the movie couldn't give them good screen time.

That's a problem I have with Meghan she's too focused on Twilight. Look at The Crystal Empire where the other mane 5 where just kinda there just becuase it was a 2 part episode. But they didn't really do anything.

I know Twilights the main character but in the past the writer were able too give the other mane 5 enough too do that it seems they were there for a reason instead of forcing them in just becuase they had too be there.

• Brohoof 1

Can the protagonist get too much attention? I am not entirely sure about that. i kind of feel like season 4 might actually have her a little less prominent though. While she has a new job and stuff, her character is pretty much at its peak. So, while the roles we do see will be far more important, I think in overall screen time we will actually see a decrease in Twilight's involvement, since she is almost done developing, as opposed to the others of the Mane 6.

Duuh, she's the main character, or was atleast... I don't care really, she's was the focus, and she MIGHT not be as focused in the fourth season, but don't get your hopes up...

I don't mind really, as it is now, it's "fine", it feels more special when you get to see the other mane 6 and all. Twillight is kinda overdone now that she's the main character, you see her all the time, so nothing special with seeing twillight. I like Twlllight too, but still

I'm pretty sure Fluttershy has more episodes than that centered around her specifically, same with Pinkie, and I'd really rather they get less and Rarity get more because it's garbage how few she has (A Dog and Pony Show does not count, IMO, as that was very much a group episode). I usually enjoy Twi episodes, so I don't mind, and she is the main character. I get it. XD

well back before i saw the bulk of the episodes twilight being the lead and getting the bulk of the attention use to bug me.

only one pony has to be the alpha.

it's just how it is.

Now while i wouldn't mind seeing one of the others getting an episode (or one of each) getting a crack at being the lead,

I'd be reluctant, or concerned about twilight handing away the rains so to speak.

she's done an amazing job of being the focal point.

the show is amazingly enjoyable, yes?
Twilight sparkle is in the bulk of the show?  Yes?  (crap i'm starting to sound like pinkie from the mentally advanced series).

Hell if i didn't know better i just made an argument on why twilight was the best pony.  *looks around to make sure flutter shy didn't hear me saying that.*

I can't say i like the show in spite of twilight sparkle.

In fact,

even in pinkie keen where she plays the doubting thomas,

I loved in that episode LOL. 
"this is twilight sparkle and welcome to jack ass!"

I mean she took a beating all through out that episode.  Twilight sparkle word isn't magic.

IT's HARD CORE!

I doubt they made Twilight a princess to give other characters more screen time ;P In fact I think she's getting the right amount of screen time, maybe a tad bit more then she deserves but either way she's sort of the main character in the show as it revolved around Twilight making friends and discovering the magic of friendship. 

I think making twilight princess would give her more screentime as we see her adjust to a new life style, I agree she is the main character and is given a lot of attention, maybe in the coming seasons the writers will focus on different characters