NavelColt

S04:E04 - Daring Don't  

425 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Also, why didn't Daring just smash the ring of Scorchairo she had in the first place? Then Ahuizotl couldn't have used it to finish the dark tower and bring upon the eight centuries of unrelenting heat. Silly Daring.

Huh, I didn't even think of that......well I think the point was she wanted to keep it for safekeeping, than after getting it back watch-a-ma-call-it she decides it isn't worth the risk to keep and destroys it so it can't be used for evil again.

Folks like Digibrony are really turning into jerks with this new season. He flat out insults his subcribers by saying things like "despite what the first 20 comments of my video will say, i wont just -accept it- " towards the state of the episode.

How is that an insult in any way shape or form? He's just saying he won't accept what he thinks is bad about this new episode, despite that he expects his commentators on his vid will tell him to.

Edited by Sir Wulfington
  • Brohoof 1

It is an insult, this is a man who drewled over his fans thoughts only to turn around and tell them there own opinions don't matter over his.

No he's just saying he doesn't agree with them, what's wrong with that? If this is exactly how he worded it:

"despite what the first 20 comments of my video will say, i wont just -accept it- "

than I see nothing wrong with what he said. He refuses to be swayed by people telling him to just accept that the episode is good, when he disagrees.

Edited by Sir Wulfington
  • Brohoof 1

It is an insult, this is a man who drewled over his fans thoughts only to turn around and tell them there own opinions don't matter over his.

I think you miss understand what he was taking about. What he said, paraphrased, he would hers is accept all the flaws and stoping analyzing. He never said those people were wrong just that their telling him to accept would not stop him from being critical.

• Brohoof 1

Folks like Digibrony are really turning into jerks with this new season. He flat out insults his subcribers by saying things like "despite what the first 20 comments of my video will say, i wont just -accept it- " towards the state of the episode.

I just go back from the video um its not hateing on the show its being critical of it but then that's kina his job. I never once heard him say he hated the show. in fact he mostly pointed out the same flaws I saw in the show. and he did said he liked it more or less.

Lucas is gonna sue, isn't he?

I really enjoyed the episode and all the world building it accomplished.  I was actually very surprised that Digibrony and Tommy Oliver both did negative reviews of it.  I think I'll do a follow up video on the subject.

While I liked Daring Do actually being the author of her books, I have a minor nitpick with this: in Read It and Weep, when I saw Daring Do looking just like Rainbow, but with different color, i thought "Cool. Dashie is projecting herself into the character."

But then they found A. K. Yearling and she is exactly like Daring Do, who is way too similar to Rainbow... Serisouly, if I was Twilight, I'd be freaking out over this.

Did this bother anyone else?

Sorry, but this is an error on your part. Before RD even opened the book, we saw the cover of the book... and guess who looks like RD even on that?

Rainbow_Dash_holding_Daring_Do_book_S2E1

• Brohoof 1

While I liked Daring Do actually being the author of her books, I have a minor nitpick with this: in Read It and Weep, when I saw Daring Do looking just like Rainbow, but with different color, i thought "Cool. Dashie is projecting herself into the character."

But then they found A. K. Yearling and she is exactly like Daring Do, who is way too similar to Rainbow... Serisouly, if I was Twilight, I'd be freaking out over this.

Did this bother anyone else?

Why is this so damn hard to understand? The Read It and Weep episode has Daring Do looking ridiculously similar to Rainbow Dash as a way of visually driving the point home that Daring Do IS Rainbow Dash. Daring Do is SO MUCH LIKE Rainbow Dash that Rainbow Dash can't help identifying with the character Daring Do and falling in love with the book!

Which is also part of why I really would have preferred it if Daring Do's own fictional universe had remained a fictional-universe-within-the-fictional-universe of MLP FiM itself. Now that perfect visual metaphor doesn't work anymore.

Edited by JonPear
  • Brohoof 2

I want to do a proper review of this for my DA page, but I just don't see that happening. 

To be honest, I think this is a good episode.  My only gripe was a feeling I got of Twilight being forced into it in later parts. 

I think what they should have done was have Rainbow Dash and Twilight's nerd gasam during the party.  Have the remainder of the episode be 100% Rainbow Dash.  It would be during Rainbow Dash's lament of her actions that she has a moment of clarity where she gets the guts to help Daring Doo vs talking to Twilight.  Prove that while Twilight is RD's friend, RD isn't reliant upon the pony for those moments of desparation when she is down. 

Other than that, it had good flow through and I liked it more than Episode 1, 2, and 3. 

Folks like Digibrony are really turning into jerks with this new season.

I'm really starting to feel the same way in all honesty. It really seems like he and to a much lesser extent Theory Brony (Tommy Oliver) have had nothing but bad things to say about the new season. From what I can tell, a lot of it is just nitpicking and less to do with the season being bad from an objective standard and more to do with how the season is introducing things that doesn't go along with their particular standards. It's kinda why I'm not a big fan of over-analyzing things the way Digibrony is, especially when it comes to shows that, down to its very core, isn't even meant for an adult fanbase.

They didn't like the fact that Daring Do is a real character. How does that make the episode bad from an objective standard? Not to mention, as you say, it actually works perfectly in developing RD's character. Both Digi and Tommy complained that the writers could've used another set of idols like Spitfire but let's be real, when did RD have an extreme admiration for Spitfire specifically? And the show has already explored the WBs countless times, with RD even attending and showing incredible skill at the academy. This will be a long season and we're bound to see them again anyways.

This may not be a legitimate complaint, but I feel that she is "stealing the Mane Six's thunder" in this episode, AND because it seems that her adventures really happened AND because (this was my own misconception about the character based on her previous appearance) that she should be some sort of treasure hunter that doesn't necessarily gets involved in the "saving the world business".

I can kinda get what you're saying here and yeah, it kinda does throw in the question of why Celestia never actually mentioned anything about it to the mane 6, but to pretend that all along, Daring Do's adventures and her quests to "save the world" trump anything that the mane 6 have ever done is either selling them short or putting Daring Do on a pedestal. And remember that's the exact same mistake RD committed. The mane 6 most definitely saved the world when they defeated Nightmare Moon and Discord, they most certainly saved Canterlot and all of Equestria when they defeated Chrysalis and Sombra.

Daring Do's adventures have much less of a world impact compared to those considering her quests are seeking ancient treasures which, should Daring Do have ever failed, would be quickly put back in their place. That's most likely what would've happened if RD didn't decide to go snooping for Yearling ahead of time.

Edited by Freedan

I must say that Tommy did a lot better job than Digi did with explaining why he disliked the episode. Some of his reasons are kinda nonsensical, but he also had some really strong points.

Essentially all the problems(and a few more!) Digi points out in his analysis are present in... the episode he rates as the best in the series, that being Applebuck Season. Yeah... can't give to much credit to you when you are so selective.

But yeah, you can't decide whether the episode is good or not purely on whether Daring Do is real or not. It's pretty clear that for Tommy, this was to much of a hurdle to give the rest of the episode a fair chance(I've seen him handle far worse episodes much fairer). As for Digi... I'll be honest and say that I find him to be pretty average as reviewer in general. Tommy's review bothers me more because he's usually a better reviewer than he showed himself to be here.

TheMysteriousMrEnter and Joshscorcher are still better in general. Cant wait to see TMME's review.

• Brohoof 3

I have to admit i was only entertainue up until the whole daring do is real part of the episode. After that my suppression of disbelief  broke apart faster then a house of cards Then I couldn't enjoy the episode after that, the concept just kept bothering me so much. (that and I dont like RD that much she's lie my least fav right below fluttershy)

Idiana Jones was cool casue magic stuff was an audatiy it was mystical but...This is equestria we are talking about Magic is EVERYWHERE, so this whole daring do is real thing is complete gahhhhh *insert matrix bullshit clip here*

• Brohoof 1

I'm not too crazy about this episode. While i loved Twilights roll and Pinkie Pie's humor, I have to mostly agree with Digi's review, I don't think Daring Do should have been real. I thought that Rainbow Dash should actually have helped A.K wright the book. Although Twilight and Rainbow's geek out was pretty funny. Kind of reminds of me of mlp forum wars  :huh:

So i would rate this episode a 3/5. Better then Castle Mania, but not as good as the two parter

• Brohoof 2

Daring Do's adventures have much less of a world impact compared to those considering her quests are seeking ancient treasures which, should Daring Do have ever failed, would be quickly put back in their place. That's most likely what would've happened if RD didn't decide to go snooping for Yearling ahead of time.

I don't know. Ahuizotl's threat sounded pretty serious. Though it's true that we only know of two of her stories, and considering that there doesn't seem to exist a stained glass window showing Daring/Yearling in the throne room, in the palace, you may be right.

But that is also the reason why I say that this episode should be fiction inside the MLP world and not reality. It seemed so over the top. Not to mention that Daring was supposed to solve this on her own, because the Mane Six didn't even know that this was happening. And the consequences would not be "she failed, lost the artifact". It would be something a lot more serious and something that can be said, although not necessarily, involves Princess Celestia and at least one region of Equestria (I guess it's part of Equestria).

• Brohoof 2

But that is also the reason why I say that this episode should be fiction inside the MLP world and not reality. It seemed so over the top. Not to mention that Daring was supposed to solve this on her own, because the Mane Six didn't even know that this was happening.

This is Equestria. When you have characters like Pinkie, nothing's over the top :lol: And she did solve the problem on her own. Remember, she got captured on purpose but the literal weight of the issue would've caused her to fail in the end. First, the weight of the chains holding her in the trap would've been too heavy for her if not for RD's assistance. She also wouldn't have managed to life the rings out of the statue if it wasn't for RD's assistance yet again. Yes, the mane 6 didn't know what was happening, but when they've been through so many adventures already, it's not hard for them to catch up.

And the consequences would not be "she failed, lost the artifact". It would be something a lot more serious and something that can be said, although not necessarily, involves Princess Celestia and at least one region of Equestria (I guess it's part of Equestria).

Pretty much what I said anyways. If Do lost the artifacts, no doubt the mane 6 would've been called into action. RD simply sped up the process without even knowing.

Daring Don't. A.K.A. EVERY SINGLE FANDOM EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways...how has nopony figured out that A.K. Yearling and Daring Do are the same pony. Aren't there mailponies who bring her mail? What about the publishers that she has to talk to? 

• Brohoof 1

This is Equestria. When you have characters like Pinkie, nothing's over the top :lol: And she did solve the problem on her own. Remember, she got captured on purpose but the literal weight of the issue would've caused her to fail in the end. First, the weight of the chains holding her in the trap would've been too heavy for her if not for RD's assistance. She also wouldn't have managed to life the rings out of the statue if it wasn't for RD's assistance yet again. Yes, the mane 6 didn't know what was happening, but when they've been through so many adventures already, it's not hard for them to catch up.

Pretty much what I said anyways. If Do lost the artifacts, no doubt the mane 6 would've been called into action. RD simply sped up the process without even knowing.

Why are people saying that she got captured on purpose? Because it didn't seem like that to me. But that is not important. What is important is that she seems to be the only one that is aware of this problem that is about as big as the dragon was in Dragonshy. Not that the Mane Six were supposed to be the Plan B.

In fact, I think that now that the Mane Six don't seem to be needed anymore, (Crystal Empire, Canterlot Wedding for example) it seems like Daring Do and Twilight should join forces and the others keep fangasming over them in the background, eventually doing something contrived just so that they don't get removed from the series!

EDIT: I'm not going to leave the fandom. Not yet at least. :lol: And I did have fun watching the episode because of some of the jokes, like Pinkie Pie and the red line. I liked Daring's voice. I liked the action.

And I don't even think that the show is going in this direction. I'm just complaining about this episode and some of it's ideas. I mean: this is nothing more than filler, but it was filler done wrong in my not so humble as should be opinion.

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 2

I think the problem wasn't Daring Doo being real, but rather her adventures.

I mean if you're going on life threatening adventures and getting things that could potentially destroy a great deal of Equestria. Why doesn't any of the Princesses know about this?

I do like Digibro and Tommy Oliver. They give good points about why the episode were bad, but I didn't see too much insight on any positives for an example I liked the fight scenes. 

Overall a decent episode, but the weakest out of the episodes shown so far. Mainly because I guess the writers weren't sure where to take Daring Doo's character. Either make her adventures fake or just make her not exist at all. Another problem was perhaps the mane 6 didn't really do much in the beginning.

I must say that Tommy did a lot better job than Digi did with explaining why he disliked the episode. Some of his reasons are kinda nonsensical, but he also had some really strong points.

Essentially all the problems(and a few more!) Digi points out in his analysis are present in... the episode he rates as the best in the series, that being Applebuck Season. Yeah... can't give to much credit to you when you are so selective.

But yeah, you can't decide whether the episode is good or not purely on whether Daring Do is real or not. It's pretty clear that for Tommy, this was to much of a hurdle to give the rest of the episode a fair chance(I've seen him handle far worse episodes much fairer). As for Digi... I'll be honest and say that I find him to be pretty average as reviewer in general. Tommy's review bothers me more because he's usually a better reviewer than he showed himself to be here.

TheMysteriousMrEnter and Joshscorcher are still better in general. Cant wait to see TMME's review.

Yeah not to forget The Voice of Reason.

Any other major reviewers that I'm forgetting? Nice to know you listen to the same guys I do lol

Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson
  • Brohoof 3

I don't really see the reason why they made Daring Do real..
I probably wouldn't mind it so much if she turned out to be a villain, but still..
It was entertaining enough, I guess

I haven't watched that episode yet (waiting for YT 720-1080p, none so far o.O - and found it 1080p elsewhere not YT) but from what I skimmed while avoiding the spoilers it's that pony from season 3 (or was it season 2) that is like Indiana Jones that Rainbow Dash was reading about in a book while with broken wing/leg and in some hospital.

Edited by ImtR

I did not like this episode.  The whole "Daring Do being a real pony and not just a story character" seems so random and unbelievable.  I mean, how does this fact get unnoticed by the ENTIRE POPULATION OF EQUESTRIA?  Surely SOMEPONY would have noticed all the Indiana Jones stuff going on in Equestria.  And if it was so easy for Twilight to find out her address, why hasn't some other rabid fan figured it out too?  It just seemed WAAAAAY too far-fetched.

In my opinion, Daring Do should have stayed a work of fiction.

Then there are a few continuity things that bothered me:

- When Daring Do fights Caballeron's henchponies, her right foreleg is injured and she wraps it in a splint and flies off.  The splint and injury are gone for the remainder of the episode and no one questions this.  For a while, I thought this meant that all of this was just an elaborate show that A. K. Yearling puts on for rabid fans.

- If that ring was required for the ritual to take place, considering how easily Daring Do smashed it in the end, why did she not just smash it in the first place thus making sure the ritual could NEVER happen?  Why go through all the trouble?

... Then there are the Wilhelm screams.  I counted two of them.  I think Wilhelm screams are extremely lazy on the part of the sound crew.

• Brohoof 1

The episode was pretty decent. Kind of meh though, not a fan of daring do so that's why. Overall I only liked how the characters acted in the episode. Rainbows fan girling was hilarious and the nerd out going between Twilight and her was amusing. I kind of hated how stupid Dash was at some points. "Lol Daring, do you want your hat thing right as your getting punched in the face?" Like come on Dashie, don't be stupid. Although she made up for it when she was all depressed for a moment. Really nice to see that vulnerable disappointed side again.