NavelColt

S04:E04 - Daring Don't  

425 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I was kind of disappointed that the author of Daring Do was NOT Twilight's mom, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Sad Dashie made me sad, though...

But, her self-defeatist attitude reminded me alot of myself because that's the kind of person I am (I can never do anything right).

Thought it was a pretty good episode, it had quite a few funny moments.

Am I the only one who paid attention to this face? I thought it was hilarious when she made this face.

img-2085336-1-Ir7YsnO.jpg

EDIT:

Yeah...... I didn't like this episode very much. I don't know if I am just growing out of the show and the fandom, or if it is something else. I do agree with some of what Digibrony and Tommy Oliver had to say about the episode. The show just seems to be getting more and more frustrating for me. I can go back and watch all of the episodes through season 1 to 3 and I still love all of them, but season 4..... It is just annoying and frustrating for me to watch. I hope the rest of the season isn't frustrating for me.

So... you didn't like it very much, but still think it was a pretty good episode? 

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one who paid attention to this face? I thought it was hilarious when she made this face.

img-2085336-1-Ir7YsnO.jpg

EDIT:

Just a fantastic episode! I loved every minute of it! Oh and this face: img-2084264-1-3yf7qD1.png

Was just the greatest face in show history.

So... you didn't like it very much, but still think it was a pretty good episode?

Oh... LOL. I am a zombie today, I completely forgot I even left a reply on this thread. Well... I don't hate the episode, but I don't love it either. It is by no means a bad episode, I just didn't find it as good as others.

I edited my first post.

Edited by Emperor Posh
  • Brohoof 1

Oh... LOL. I am a zombie today, I completely forgot I even left a reply on this thread. Well... I don't hate the episode, but I don't love it either. It is by no means a bad episode, I just didn't find it as good as others.

I edited my first post.

Oh, I see. I thought you almost hated it, because of that complete paragraph complaining about this ep and the whole new season. . . but what confused me was that your feelings in that comment were very different to your first reply. Did you change your opinions?

Oh, I see. I thought you almost hated it, because of that complete paragraph complaining about this ep and the whole new season. . . but what confused me was that your feelings in that comment were very different to your first reply. Did you change your opinions?

Kinda, I usually watch the episode once or twice more after I first watch it, just so I can catch everything. I don't think season 4 or the episodes are bad, I just think I have my expectations way to high so I am finding the episodes frustrating. Don't worry to much about my dislike, it's just my opinion and it will probably change but even then my opinion should not define what is good and bad as others will have different likes and dislikes. I don't plan on giving up on the show yet, even if I dislike some of the episodes.

Oh and this is pretty funny, made me laugh.

http://youtu.be/rEi9AGX3IG4

Edited by Emperor Posh

Ok so i take back what i said about "hate" on anyones part. What i want to know is why are people that are so die hard fans of this show, acting like this? NO I DO NOT want the fans drewling over any piece of content to come out, but why analyze it? WHY? I have been apart (and still am apart of) many fandoms. One I am very proud of is the Disneys Gargoyles fandom.

In short for those that don't know, the first series was heralded as dark, grown up, and ground breaking. The second was thought as phoned in and sorta meh. Sadly the show ended after that run. And this was back in the 90s. That shows fanbase (for those that remain) could never even scratch the surface of MLPs.

My point is, for a fanbase that go out in public, and scream about love, friendship and tolerance, it really is kinda scary to watch it devour itself like this. We finally are getting non-bronies to take notice of this show, only for the veterans to start poo-pooing EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL. Do you really love it that much that it has become your bread and butter, your air and water, or are you kinda upset it took to long to get new episodes.

This season is called a "slow boil" season. Google it. Many shows have done this, Startrek Deep space 9 for example has several of its seasons that are like this. The story line for Season 4 is ment to be slow, its ment to have each of the girls go thru trials and rewards. Not every episode can have us going "OH I SO CALLED IT WHEN TWILIGHT DIDNT KNOW HOW TO FLY IN SEASON 3 HAHA WRITERS I PWNED YOU!" or "ZOMG WHY IS APPLE JACK NOT DOING ANYTHING...AGAIN!!". 

There has to be episodes like Castle-mania, with silly reasons for all 6 girls to pair off and show up at the plot point. ITS CALLED A PLOT FOR A REASON. For a fanbase that has gone from making hundreds of home grown music, videos, toys, clubs, MAKING A FUCKING BRONY CONVENTION! I have to be the one to say this, I don't think its the seasons first 4 episodes that are putting a bad taste in the air..it's US!

And too all the reviewers...really? REALLY?!.....REALLY!!?!?!!?!? Get off your high horse (ya...i went there) and shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut up! Your turning the fans on each other, sides are being drawn and soon we are gonna be nothing more then THE FUCKING WORLD OF WARCRAFT FORUMS -.-...Celestia save us all..

WHAT HAPPEND TO LOVE AND TOLERANCE!!!!

Well, what i got to say abut Daring Don't episode is that i liked it. Fun it funny and entertaining. Sure was few net pick here and there. But found general experiences after watch episode was good one. And i ended up watching it to the end. Having smile upon my face :)

So if you not already seen it, i suggest you do.

Sig, out. B) *Squee*

And here is also some music.

Edited by Sig Hoovestrong
  • Brohoof 1

img-2091676-1-idolation_by_kyanchan-d6x5

Do and Dash had plenty of moments for sure. While I could see them as a ship (and boy is it not just a little more than hot boiz~), I could friendship them so hard, too. Seeing as how Daring has warmed up to Dash throughout the episode, truly shown in the climax and conclusion, it'll be interesting to see if she, like Discord, reoccurs in the future in any way, or if they end up leaving things where they are, as they did a fairly decent closure.

For example, Dash wants to go hang out with her when she's not on adventures and have sleepovers even-though-she-doesn't-want-to-admit-that's-what-they-are, and ask Daring to read her books aloud around the fireplace or someshit. Since, you know, 'OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH, Daring has to read her new book aloud so that she can tell the tale of us being AWESOME together, and it'll be in her voice!!! :D' is bound to be a realization for Dash about 10 seconds after the episode ended with her seeing the book cover.

She'd ask her using this face.

post-4006-0-30478100-1386581725.png

Also also, there is now a perfect trio of idolization goin' on up in this here pegasus characters thing, with Scoots > Dash > Daring Do.

Also also also, whoops, still no long review thing, srrz :3 Lazy and tired, and I made my long-ass post for today already. Some other time, perhaps!

• Brohoof 2

Ok so i take back what i said about "hate" on anyones part. What i want to know is why are people that are so die hard fans of this show, acting like this? NO I DO NOT want the fans drewling over any piece of content to come out, but why analyze it? WHY? I have been apart (and still am apart of) many fandoms. One I am very proud of is the Disneys Gargoyles fandom.

In short for those that don't know, the first series was heralded as dark, grown up, and ground breaking. The second was thought as phoned in and sorta meh. Sadly the show ended after that run. And this was back in the 90s. That shows fanbase (for those that remain) could never even scratch the surface of MLPs.

My point is, for a fanbase that go out in public, and scream about love, friendship and tolerance, it really is kinda scary to watch it devour itself like this. We finally are getting non-bronies to take notice of this show, only for the veterans to start poo-pooing EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL. Do you really love it that much that it has become your bread and butter, your air and water, or are you kinda upset it took to long to get new episodes.

This season is called a "slow boil" season. Google it. Many shows have done this, Startrek Deep space 9 for example has several of its seasons that are like this. The story line for Season 4 is ment to be slow, its ment to have each of the girls go thru trials and rewards. Not every episode can have us going "OH I SO CALLED IT WHEN TWILIGHT DIDNT KNOW HOW TO FLY IN SEASON 3 HAHA WRITERS I PWNED YOU!" or "ZOMG WHY IS APPLE JACK NOT DOING ANYTHING...AGAIN!!". 

There has to be episodes like Castle-mania, with silly reasons for all 6 girls to pair off and show up at the plot point. ITS CALLED A PLOT FOR A REASON. For a fanbase that has gone from making hundreds of home grown music, videos, toys, clubs, MAKING A FUCKING BRONY CONVENTION! I have to be the one to say this, I don't think its the seasons first 4 episodes that are putting a bad taste in the air..it's US!

And too all the reviewers...really? REALLY?!.....REALLY!!?!?!!?!? Get off your high horse (ya...i went there) and shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut up! Your turning the fans on each other, sides are being drawn and soon we are gonna be nothing more then THE FUCKING WORLD OF WARCRAFT FORUMS -.-...Celestia save us all..

badass-300x225.jpg

Yo, seriously, chill out. Being critical of flaws in a show is not a bad thing, and doesn't mean you don't like it. Liking something doesn't mean you have to be okay with every single thing wrong with it, that's called blind fanboyism. Also, I'm so tired of saying this to people, but love and tolerance isn't our fucking motto, as I recall that it was just a form of trolling to brony haters back when the fandom began that somehow became our "official motto". It doesn't even have anything to do with the show, they don't even teach that lesson unless you count Keep Calm and Flutter On but that episode was made LONG after the motto was taken seriously by bronies.

Can this "love and tolerate" garbage please just die already? I'm so sick of hearing people saying it's our motto, I'm so sick of hearing it period.

Edited by Sir Wulfington
  • Brohoof 2

Another episode that I liked. Haven't had any that I have loved yet though.

Anyway as for the episode itself gotta say I really enjoyed how they decided to make daring do a real character. That was definitley a cool and unique idea I didn't see coming from them. Aside from that not much else to say really. I thought it handled everything it presented quite well especially the inclusion of smug face dash. Which is easily the best pony face since liar apple jack.

Yet another great episode of season 4. This is looking up to be the best season of the show so far. I loved this episode and can't wait to see what the rest of season 4 has to offer. Bring on the next episode!!  :wub:

So I was just re-watching the episode (again), and I thought something...

And what I'm about to say may be blasphemous...

But maybe this episode would have been better if the Mane Six never got involved. All they do most of the time is stand around looking at things happening and make stupid comments. Sure they had parts to play (kind of) but those could have been worked around in other ways. It reminds me of reading some fics with a first-person narrative and the only reason the main character is present is so that the reader can see what is happening.

Thoughts?

Me personally? Because I love the show. I criticize because I love it, I'm not some kind of girl who just sits around all day complaining about stuff. I'm also not the girl who will just say, "Hey, sweetie, you did a great job!", I won't mindlessly praise something. Because MLP is so exceptional, I've set my bar higher for S4, and this is the only episode so far that has disappointed me. 

I do agree that we, as a fandom, have a major tendency to nitpick over pointless, trivial stuff. But I'm also not going to sit by and just shrug when something stupid comes out--the writers and producers and animators of MLP have shown that they can and will produce quality work with excellent scripts; I want more of that. 

Also, something that I can't stress enough: Love and Tolerate =/= Blind Acceptance.

We do this all the time with our artists, too. We tell them that, "Hey, that looks awesome! Way better than I could ever do!" when everyone knows it's not true. I like to draw ponies--if I have something wrong with the anatomy, I want someone to say something. I'm also a writer; if someone reads my stories, I want them to say that they're read it, and enjoyed it, but here's something to make it even better. I thrive off input and criticism from my fans, because otherwise I'd never grow.

• Brohoof 5

Me personally? Because I love the show. I criticize because I love it, I'm not some kind of girl who just sits around all day complaining about stuff. I'm also not the girl who will just say, "Hey, sweetie, you did a great job!", I won't mindlessly praise something. Because MLP is so exceptional, I've set my bar higher for S4, and this is the only episode so far that has disappointed me. I do agree that we, as a fandom, have a major tendency to nitpick over pointless, trivial stuff. But I'm also not going to sit by and just shrug when something stupid comes out--the writers and producers and animators of MLP have shown that they can and will produce quality work with excellent scripts; I want more of that. Also, something that I can't stress enough: Love and Tolerate =/= Blind Acceptance. We do this all the time with our artists, too. We tell them that, "Hey, that looks awesome! Way better than I could ever do!" when everyone knows it's not true. I like to draw ponies--if I have something wrong with the anatomy, I want someone to say something. I'm also a writer; if someone reads my stories, I want them to say that they're read it, and enjoyed it, but here's something to make it even better. I thrive off input and criticism from my fans, because otherwise I'd never grow.

nicely said. telling someone to shut up just cause they disagree with your opinion is wrong. love and tolerance means accepting opinions that differ from your own with good graces. it also leaves you free to call on someone if their point is invalid.

• Brohoof 1

We do this all the time with our artists, too. We tell them that, "Hey, that looks awesome! Way better than I could ever do!" when everyone knows it's not true. I like to draw ponies--if I have something wrong with the anatomy, I want someone to say something. I'm also a writer; if someone reads my stories, I want them to say that they're read it, and enjoyed it, but here's something to make it even better. I thrive off input and criticism from my fans, because otherwise I'd never grow.

Off topic, but ya I agree, I get so angry when I see people telling bad artists that they're good, with the frequent "it's way better than I can do, I can't even draw a straight line LULZ" because I know they're full of shit, and they're just potentially holding back those artists from improving by possibly giving them the false idea that they're good and don't need to get better. If someone asks for honest opinions on their work, you should tell them the truth, even if it's negative.

This praise for bad art seems to be pretty common on this site, it seems.

Edited by Sir Wulfington
  • Brohoof 2

i only just watched it, and i kinda liked it. 

i hoped they would have done daring's personality different, but this was interesting too.

overall season 4 is pretty damn epic so far if you ask me :D

LOL!! Finally getting around to watching the episode.

Oh, Rainbow Dash... looks like you're Daring's annoying sidekick for this mission. XD

EDIT: Okay, finished the episode.

Thoughts:

A little disappointed that Daring and Ahuizotl are real.

I was really into the idea of a fandom within the MLP universe. But the fact that they're actually REAL individuals kind of ruins the feeling for me. Real people can have fandoms of course. But it my opinion, writing fanfics and talking about shipping and all that other fun stuff in fandoms gets really, REALLY creepy when the people involved are real.

Like these people I found once that were into shipping individuals on this one reality T.V. show.

Seriously, what the HAY!? They are REAL people, with REAL families, and REAL feelings. Not your little toys you can write creepy shipping fics about.

But of course, Rainbow and her friends are some of the few ponies that know Daring is real, so most other readers are going to still think she's just a fictional character.

I don't know, I'll probably have to mull over where this all stands in my headcanon now.

But I will admit, I love Ahuizolt to bits and the idea that he really exists IS kinda awesome. X3

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

I generally try not to learn who wrote an episode before watching it, to avoid that knowledge coloring my perspective. During the credits at the beginning of each episode I avert my gaze for just that reason. However, before this episode aired I inadvertently learned the writer was Dave Polsky. I therefore braced myself for the worst of FiM's worst but the episode I got was... surprisingly inoffensive. Oh, it was stupid as shit to make Daring Do real, but despite that I can enjoy this episode to at least a mild degree. Moreover, considering the kind of fan fiction I read, the episode is actually rather validating. 

Edit:

has a compelling defense of this episode, which demonstrates that perhaps it isn't "stupid as shit" after all. Not sure if I completely buy his argument, but it's something to consider.  

Altogether, I think this is the best Polsky episode, beating out Too Many Pinkie Pies by a fair margin. Overall... eh, I'm thinking a 6/10, though my opinion is still a bit up in the air. 

Edited by ByTheTides