NavelColt

S04:E04 - Daring Don't  

425 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I didn't really care for this episode but I can't put a finger on exactly why.

Maybe it was the overly gooshy fanisims of Rainbow Dash and Twilight ,or the triple stup he!nch-stallions and super clicheic good guy/ bad guy theim... maybe it was the few section of bad cinimatic action animations sequences...possibly the whole lack of 4 out of 6 main ponies that were relegated to background ponies at best... or just outright ignored...

I'm not sure... I'm just kinda... mehh

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

I will sum up my reaction in a nutshell with one word and that is Epic! Daring Don't may as well be one of my favourite Rainbow Dash episodes, and the reveal of A.K. Yearling, nice parody by the way, is really Daring Doo, and the stories are a macabre autobiography, which is still amazing, and amazing still was that Daring Doo was a real pony not a fictional character. I like the fact that so far season four is including all of the mane six, and the journal with Rainbow Dash as the first entry, I especially love how Rainbow Dash fan enthusiasm is expressed, while some bronies may say that is out of character, but how many famous people or celebrities have they met? I have met some famous people such as Gene Kranz, Jim Lovell, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin and Eugene Cernan, while I was working at the Johnson Space Centre at the time, I had to hold my excitement and that was not easy, I only began to geek out when I came home, so I can relate to Rainbow Dash's position, after meeting with someone you read about. Daring Doo was almost a mirror image of Rainbow, minus the comradely, insisting she needs no help until she realizes at the end and accepts Rainbow's assistance, plus I love the image where Rainbow hugs Daring it was a tender moment. I would love to see Daring Doo again, now that we know she is real Daring Doo has real potential to be a recurring character, and little would please me more than to see Daring Doo in another episode, moreover this quite a good adventurous episode with startling animation and timely execution of the plot and climax, while others will be disappointed I can look past the issues and enjoy the art in all of its lustre.        

• Brohoof 1

1. Up till the end, pretty much every pony minus Pinkie was in on the action. Rarity, Fluttershy, and Applejack were background ponies for the first sixteen minutes of Daring Don't. It would've been better if Dash, Twilight, and Pinkie were the lone characters of the Mane Six in this episode

Yeah, letting everyone have their one-liners at the party was fun, but Twilight and Dash could have gone to Yearling's house alone.  Since Pinky had the best lines, she could have been dragged along for whatever reason, been used as a flimsy "well Rainbow didn't leave Twilight completely alone and why did it take so long for her to catch up."

I really prefer the episodes where they're not trying to fit the entire Mane 6 into the adventure.  (Insert that screenshot of Castle Mania where Twilight is the only one with her hooves on the floor.)

Really awesome episode!

It was kind of predictable though. Rainbow Dash was just lionizing Daring Do too much, which I believe is why Daring Do blamed her for her being captured. 

Daring Do kinda had that Gilda attitude, at least Rainbow Dash taught her that working alone isn't always the best, and that it's never good to trust nobody. 

Daring Do is real? Well I guess that is a fan service for the ones who like her. I kinda would have her prefer to be fictional, it felt like Rainbow was getting too much. It still is awesome to see her real though. The episode itself was interesting and I like the little nods to the books they had there.

I loved how each thing was a nod to fandoms in general (Star Wars, Game of Thrones, MLP, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Dr.Suess :lol:), from RD waiting months for the next book and counting down the days. Twilight and RD arguing over the lore and countering each other was AMAZING. And RD generally being a fangirl didn't feel exaggerated at all. The episode's pacing felt perfect. This is my favorite episode of S4. I actually had a super relatable moment at RD's disappointment for Season 4 :okiedokielokie: - I mean the next book being pushed back a couple of months. I remembered when Avatar: The Last Airbender (Book 3 if I remember correctly) got pushed back a month or so.

• Brohoof 1

when I first heard about this episode I thought it wouldn't have been all that interesting but after watching it, I'm glad I was wrong. the later half of the episode was great and seeing rainbow all fangirl-y was funny to watch

I'm pleasantly surprised with how the episode went and I'm glad to see they are using the diary at the end of the episode

Yeah i loved it.

yes rainbow dash was a bit much at times,

and over bearing but it was alot fun.

I love a good hammy villian.

i think they juggled daring do with the main six leaving it open to the viewer to wether they were needed or not.  I mean up until the ring part.

Yeah i'm putting rainbow dash from my 6th favorite pony to 3rd provided we get to see her geeky side now and again.

Might have to bump twilight from second to first that's two episodes in a row where flutter shy has just kinda been there.

Edited by FNGRpony

So the next time has to have Daring Do die, Rainbow Dash unable to handle the loss tries some scheme to raise her from the dead.

Fluttershy has a cursed Pet Cemetery in the woods.

This episode kicked ass, and I'm not just saying that because it features best pony. It had badass animation, some great character development, and I loved the moral about learning to trust people. It's an important message that I can't believe the show only just now covered.

Though, since it's Dave Polsky, I expect controversy up the flank, for whatever reason.

This episode was alright. I was surprised that the premise of trusting ponies was overshadowed slightly by the idea of confidence. Rainbow Dash was surprisingly emotionally fragile and unusually lacking in confidence in this episode compared to her usual appearances. She's actually way tougher than this Daring Do pony. Again, it's strange that she is put as less when she is clearly better. It's the same as when she applied for the wonderbolts, a group of ponies that have to be saved by Rainbow Dash. I see these events as jarring. I think it should have been revealed that Daring Do wasn't real and this was a test for Rainbow Dash to let herself step back from something and not take control. She didn't learn this in the wonderbolts episode either. But as the episode concluded with them being real, it means all the villains in those stories are also real, I wonder why they don't bother ponies but seem to live in their own little worlds. I would stop here by saying that the episode is average.

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one who paid attention to this face? I thought it was hilarious when she made this face.

img-2085336-1-Ir7YsnO.jpg

EDIT:

Just a fantastic episode! I loved every minute of it! Oh and this face: img-2084264-1-3yf7qD1.png

Was just the greatest face in show history.

Edited by Emperor Posh
  • Brohoof 1

This is the first episode in season 4 that genuinely made me fanboy squee. Seeing Rainbow Dash meet Daring Doo is the best thing about season 4, so far. Some parts of the episode made me love my girl even more than i do. One part in particular was when she felt low for putting her hero in a less than favorable predicament.

The end was the best part of the episode. Rainbow Dash and Daring Doo hugged it out! They even went as far as cuddling. Super Kawaii~

An affectionate parody of the fandom, filled with clever little gags and shoutouts. Loved it. I could watch Rainbow Dash in fangirl mode forever.

The only major complaint I can level against it is Rainbow Dash's "Dark Night of the Soul" moment before the climax. Maybe I just wasn't enough paying attention to the subtext during the first half, but up until that point I wasn't aware that RD's confidence (or lack of it) was even an issue. As a result, that moment felt unearned and waayy overplayed. 

But by no means did that ruin it for me, and overall I had a good time with this one.

8.5/10

Alright, I very much enjoyed this one! It actually doesn't beat the first three episodes of the season, personally speaking, but by no means do I not appreciate the premise. The continuous tip-of-the-hat to fan cultures was a fantastic concept to use in an episode. It really showcases a load of stereotypes that explode over the Internet. They're really keeping up with the allusions we all love!

I think Dashie was characterised extremely well in some places... and not so much in others. Let me give you an example for the latter: she was scared of going into the jungle. I thought she was unwaveringly brave! It didn't seem like her - but then again, her state of fangasm might have something to do with it. ;) For the former, I really liked her characterisation in scenes like the opening, showing her energy and how she particularly enjoys narrating her favourite stories (reminiscent of Ticket Master and Cutie Mark Chronicles), as well as her desire to help out Daring Do - that was particularly good testament to her Element of Loyalty.

Another thing I liked about this episode was the inclusion of everypony. Whether it be the personal comparisons at the National Random Holiday Party Day (oh yeah, Pinkie's character was bang-on once again... Best Pony represent!) or the way they worked as a team in the fortress fight, they didn't just sit there. But it also allowed Dash enough of the spotlight, meaning they got the balance just right. Very good writing. The relationship between Twilight and Dash was especially enjoyable. So many god damn allusions to fan culture it left my mind blown (so you're not the only one Twilight!!).

Speaking of which, allow me to dedicate a paragraph to how much I liked the party scene. I thought it was exceptional. Amidst Dash pouring out her excitement for the approaching book date, one by one she gets a response from everyone in the room, like a queue of comparisons. Rarity showed her refinement coupled with her enjoyment of fun and kind acceptance of Pinkie's antics. Pinkie Pie showed her spontaneity and love of partying (that Secret Ingredient quote is a new favourite!). Applejack showed her honesty through the blunt yet very humorous recounting of when she tried to invite Dash to the party. And Twilight allowed a great allusion to when two extremely hardcore fans of any franchise get into an argument. Flawless portion of the episode.

The return of Daring Do herself; great mini-twist. I thought perhaps she had written a character just like herself to begin with (that's how most fan-fictions go; another brilliant, perhaps unintentional, allusion to fanbases) until I realised she was Daring Do. The Mane 6 staring into the window watching the fight was another one of my favourite scenes; Twilight and Dash excitedly pointing out references to the books, and Pinkie simply sitting there enjoying action for the sake of action - another great character contrast. <3 Her altercation with Ahuizotl was also absolutely hilarious. Rainbow Dash had a face that was all "OTP!" However, I did have a huge issue with Daring Do's personality. She was very much dismissive and hostile towards Rainbow Dash. Even if the ring was on her mind, she could've at least been a bit more receptive. She didn't even show any initial appreciation when Rainbow Dash helped her out of the piranha trap. At least she became likeable at the end, but otherwise I found that very unappealing.

A new character I did particularly like, though, was that mini-villain Caballeron. It gives us a closer look into the Daring Do series itself, instead of there only being Ahuizotl to contend with for the episode. There's an Incredibles reference in there if you recognise it ;) His voice sounded like a French Marcus Kincaid, from Borderlands 2. It would've been nice to have a little portion somewhere after the fortress collapsed to see where he and his troupe had ran off to, and what they did with the money (if it was even real money).

Other highlights or personal thoughts include:
  • Rainbow Dash's house is seriously awesome! She built a Wonderbolt statue for goodness' sake.
  • If the golden ring could shatter so easily, why not just drop the heavier ring they were trying to lift from the pillar? Shattering it would've been loads easier...  :blink:
  • Fluttershy's cutest ever pose. Holding her tail like that... *d'aww* Additionally, her teaching of the birds to fly was just as adorable.
  • Rainbow Dash's reaction to her cover cameo was perfect!
  • I liked the scene where they keep the ring away from Ahuizotl. It was like the book scene in Return of Harmony - but instead of maliciously keeping that object away from Twilight, they were harmoniously working to keep this object away from a villain. n.n
  • ANOTHER SQUEE! Thank you, oh thank you Pinkie.  :lol:

Overall, a fairly solid 8/10. Great weekly dose of pony.

• Brohoof 7

Looks like I am the only one who thought this was RD's SAYS episode.  Rainbow Dash was way out of character and the Mane 6 were also way out of character.  They should have helped DD right at the beginning -- just watching her get knocked around and the ring taken -- sheesh.  That and RD is not capable of that level of incompetence.  Only the last 4 minutes were okay, that and Fluttershy.

2.5/10.

Edited by silvadel
  • Brohoof 1

I have to say, I really enjoyed this episode and I was pretty impressed with the little surprising twists and turns that the plot encompassed. Sure it was not as top of the notch as the past few episodes that preceded it, but it was definitely unique and well-played out in its very own right.

The episode overall, paints a very clear and humorous picture of how the majority of any fandom tends to have their "fangirling" moments.

It starts out with Rainbow Dash being so incredibly excited and showing great eagerness for the next book of the Daring Do series to arrive. And so we have the return of that "egghead side" of Dash, with all her "adorkable" and spasmodic moments, along with yet another return of the wub face. :wub:  

The fact that the mane 6 decided to stalk the author was a little strange, especially when you think about all that happened afterward, all the coincidental happenings, that made the rest of the episode's plot. Basically, Rainbow Dash couldn't wait any longer for the new book, and rather than remaining patient, she and the gang go and hunt that author down.

Then again, this demonstration of her impatience is a pretty accurate representation of how some of us fans are when it comes to waiting for the new seasons to air.  :P

However, what amazed me the most was how the character of Daring Do was "brought to life" in a sense. Before season 4, we had no idea whether or not this character was actually 'real', and most of us assumed she was merely a manifestation of Rainbow Dash insinuating herself into the story. 

But that wasn't the case at all. She was A.K. Yearling(a funny parody of J.K Rowling). It was ridiculously obvious though, and I knew that from the start that she was Daring Do. I mean just look at her.

post-8762-0-12538700-1386450393.png

Another thing that was surprising was that she was just as daring and adventurous as her once fictitious and titular character introduced in Read It and Weep. Definitely not your average author. 

And about Dash's debate with Twilight.... I never thought I would ever see Rainbow Dash behave like that. She acted so nerdy it almost seemed OOC of her. :blink:

Daring Do's attitude did bother me a little bit in the beginning, as it seemed to somewhat resemble Gilda's personality. Also her mentality in the beginning of only working alone and trusting nobody kinda reminded me of batman. ^_^  lol

But it was nice to see her finally warm up to Rainbow Dash towards the end. Though it was a little cliche and somewhat predictable that Rainbow Dash got the book early in the end, and not only that but with her featured on cover with Daring Do! ^_^

Now let me share my thoughts on my favorite pony. :)

Pinkie Pie was adorable as always I found it funny when she was painting the red line on the entire path to Daring Do's house. She did have her funny moments. However, likewise with the previous episodes in season 4 and the latest episodes in season 3, she appears to be acting more annoying and a little less mature than earlier on.  :(

I hope her character can get some further development this season soon. And hopefully with an episode centered around her, that would help get her personality and her character some extra depth and genuineness. So we'll see. :)

I did love how she was just playing with the golden ring like it was a hula hoop during that little hysterical scene when the mane 6 were trying to get the ring away from Ahuizotl and his minions.  :lol:

And that pretty much covers up all I have to say about the episode. 

I give it 7/10! ;)

• Brohoof 4

I think Daring's personality is a lot like RD's but much more mean. I did like the story line though. I was timed perfectly. I would like to read the book though  :wub:

Yes, maybe like what Rainbow Dash may be like if she grew up with no friends.

Cheezburger.com/7942868736

Cheezburger.com/7942878976

Cheezburger.com/7942891246

Cheezburger.com/7943187200

A K Yearling, Daring Do's pen name, is a reference to JK Rowling

The red line that pinkie pie paints is a reference to the long distance travel scenes in Indiana Jones

The ransacked house is a reference to dr. Jones sr.'s house in Indiana jones 3

The hench-ponies can be related to the nazis in Indiana jones 1 and3

The ring in the fire is a reference to the bar scene in Indiana Jones 1

• Brohoof 1

This was so far the worst Season 4 episode in my opinion. However it was still pretty decent. However this whole scenario seemed a little fishy, why would these girls just look at DD fighting these bad guys and not do anything? Also how the author is DD and she goes on an Adventure with RD along seemed a little weird. But I guess this episode would've been over after 5 minutes if they would've helped so I guess it's okay.

Also I think this was the first villain to ever try to really kill a pony if I'm not mistaken? Sombra went for slavery but not killing itself.

I really think season 4 has gotten a little darker compared to the previous seasons but I really like it.

I'd give this episode a rating of 7/10. Good episode but the story was a little off like the characters (in my opinion at least)

Yeah, this episode was definitely a bit more violent than usual, they must really be pushing to keep a Y rating because I thought this one could have easily been Y7. :huh:

And oh yeah, a rating. I would give this one an 8/10 personally.

Edited by SBB64
  • Brohoof 1

I have to say, I really enjoyed this episode and I was pretty impressed with the little surprising twists and turns that the plot encompassed. Sure it was not as top of the notch as the past few episodes that preceded it, but it was definitely unique and well-played out in its very own right.

The episode overall, paints a very clear and humorous picture of how the majority of any fandom tends to have their "fangirling" moments.

It starts out with Rainbow Dash being so incredibly excited and showing great eagerness for the next book of the Daring Do series to arrive. And so we have the return of that "egghead side" of Dash, with all her "adorkable" and spasmodic moments, along with yet another return of the wub face. :wub:  

The fact that the mane 6 decided to stalk the author was a little strange, especially when you think about all that happened afterward, all the coincidental happenings, that made the rest of the episode's plot. Basically, Rainbow Dash couldn't wait any longer for the new book, and rather than remaining patient, she and the gang go and hunt that author down.

Then again, this demonstration of her impatience is a pretty accurate representation of how some of us fans are when it comes to waiting for the new seasons to air.  :P

However, what amazed me the most was how the character of Daring Do was "brought to life" in a sense. Before season 4, we had no idea whether or not this character was actually 'real', and most of us assumed she was merely a manifestation of Rainbow Dash insinuating herself into the story. 

But that wasn't the case at all. She was A.K. Yearling(a funny parody of J.K Rowling). It was ridiculously obvious though, and I knew that from the start that she was Daring Do. I mean just look at her.

attachicon.gif300px-Rainbow_Dash_and_A.K._Yearling_S4E04.png

Another thing that was surprising was that she was just as daring and adventurous as her once fictitious and titular character introduced in Read It and Weep. Definitely not your average author. 

And about Dash's debate with Twilight.... I never thought I would ever see Rainbow Dash behave like that. She acted so nerdy it almost seemed OOC of her. :blink:

Daring Do's attitude did bother me a little bit in the beginning, as it seemed to somewhat resemble Gilda's personality. Also her mentality in the beginning of only working alone and trusting nobody kinda reminded me of batman. ^_^  lol

But it was nice to see her finally warm up to Rainbow Dash towards the end. Though it was a little cliche and somewhat predictable that Rainbow Dash got the book early in the end, and not only that but with her featured on cover with Daring Do! ^_^

Now let me share my thoughts on my favorite pony. :)

Pinkie Pie was adorable as always I found it funny when she was painting the red line on the entire path to Daring Do's house. She did have her funny moments. However, likewise with the previous episodes in season 4 and the latest episodes in season 3, she appears to be acting more annoying and a little less mature than earlier on.  :(

I hope her character can get some further development this season soon. And hopefully with an episode centered around her, that would help get her personality and her character some extra depth and genuineness. So we'll see. :)

I did love how she was just playing with the golden ring like it was a hula hoop during that little hysterical scene when the mane 6 were trying to get the ring away from Ahuizotl and his minions.  :lol:

And that pretty much covers up all I have to say about the episode. 

I give it 7/10! ;)

I just hope that no more R34s come from this....

But....

http://cheezburger.com/7942878976

Whew! Now that was an action packed episode worth watching!

As always, to quote from my tweet from earlier this morning:

"Well...what can I say. Action packed to the brim! Great episode all round!"

What can I say about this episode? Or in other words, where do I begin on the most important bits that made the episode for me? Let's find out shall we.....

First off, it was nice to see a different side to Rainbow Dash from her usual self. This was especially true during the fangirling parts of the episode and seeing her like this gave me a bit of a laugh and a few chuckles here and there. Also seeing Dash getting the "feels" (but no tears unfortunately) towards the end of the episode and almost giving up entirely got me a little misty eyed.

It is very rarely that we a character like Rainbow Dash get a bit teary or feeling like the world is against her, but that one moment where she was moments away from throwing in the towel and flying home saw a new light shine on her. Meghan was right when she said that there were going to be "feels" moments for Dash this season, and this was the first of many.

Another one of these moments that the episode produced was the reveal of Daring Do. I won't spoil any details to those who haven't yet seen the episode, but I can sum this moment up in one word.....mindblowing.

Apart from that, with an action packed story and tonnes of adventure to boot, this episode ranks pretty high for me for the season so far.