Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Canterlot wedding is overrated

Mywas

Its pacing is terrible

Shining and Cadence were not devoloped.

The Mane five were completely useless.

Spike had no Role whats so ever in This episode.

Chrysalis was an adult Diamond Tiara whos bad at Planning.

The Mane five and Celestia walking out on Twilight scene was the most stupid and crinch worthy moment in the show.

Luna had no role.

The Ending was rushed.

Millions of Plotholes in it.

Even Equestria Girls is better than ACW

• Brohoof 9

If this were the 50th Doctor Who Anniversary special, I would agree. The producers CREATED a paradox. Now, how is the War Doctor possible?

Anyways, that episode had a great plot, but It had flaws I do agree.

• Brohoof 1

do i gotta bust out the anthony c tommy oliver review yet again?

yes it's terrible.  But i mean it has it's gem moments.

we get changelings.

who one day may come back to us,

with new depth.

do i gotta bust out the anthony c tommy oliver review yet again?

yes it's terrible.  But i mean it has it's gem moments.

we get changelings.

who one day may come back to us,

with new depth.

The Only Two Parters that is worst than ACW is FIM, and its the Pilot so it gets a free pass.

The Only Two Parters that is worst than ACW is FIM, and its the Pilot so it gets a free pass.

hay the pilot only sucks if you think about it to much.  I liked seeing how twilight kinda hated everybody at first.

there was alot fun moments in that intro.

and this day in aria is to good.

^^.  it just is.it bugs me we'll never get a song close that. and we got 20 songs coming up and i'm betting you it still blows them all away.

Edited by FNGRpony

Yeah I wouldn't have such a problem with this episode if everyone and their mothers didn't love it. I thought it had good moments but there are better episodes out there.

Yeah, it is. but wrost the EG I don't think so. Seriously, let's give Twilight a brother for no reason, it doesn't help that he has no real personality Cadance is better but that's not saying much. Pacing is just something I came to expect from Meghan. Finally this is when it was clear that the show was starting too turn into Twilight and friends.

I'll stop because if I went on I'd be here for a while.

Really it's just part 1 that has its issues. Part 2 is just pure awesomesauce.

I mean, between the This Day aria, changeling fight, Queen Chrysalis, what's not to love?

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 2

Really it's just part 1 that has its issues. Pa.

rt 2 is just pure awesomesauce.

I mean, between the This Day aria, changeling fight, Queen Chrysalis, what's not to love?

It would been better if They had Celestia put up more of a fight. Plus the fact that The Mane six were fighting off an entire army seemed way too unrealistic.

Plus A little work into Chrysalis's plan would been better.

Overall: Its not as good as people put it out to be

It would been better if They had Celestia put up more of a fight. Plus the fact that The Mane six were fighting off an entire army seemed way too unrealistic.

The Mane Six got overwhelmed and eventually lost, though. Plus her plan almost worked anyway.

• Brohoof 1

The Mane Six got overwhelmed and eventually lost, though. Plus her plan almost worked anyway.

Thats the problem though. The fact that she had a stupid plan and yet almost won makes everyone in Canterlot looks like a dumba$$

Except it isn't overrated.  There's plenty of flaws that have been constantly mentioned by people. 

First of all, it could have benefitted greatly from a third part.  This is a completely valid argument.  The villain had an on-screen time of about three minutes, which isn't enough to establish a character or motive.  A third part could do this.  Now in all fairness, this originally was going to be a three part episode, but it was cut to two parts, likely for budget or time reasons.  But it's still a misstep, because the quality likely diminished as a result of the cut.  This is a very light excuse one could use for everything else I'm about to bring up.

Secondly, there's the fact that several of the characters are simply put, out of character during it (especially in the first part).  Again, a valid argument, as you see several members of the mane 6 acting in a way that you've never seen them act before, nor ever see them act like again afterward.

And finally, if I don't say it someone else will.  It really made Celestia look incompetent (and maybe, just maybe, like she couldn't care less).  And I can debate anyone that thinks otherwise here, because the evidence is actually right in the episode.  She and Luna were established to be specifically looking out for the Changelings, because they knew this would be the time they would attack.  But when Twilight told her that weird things were happening, she brushed that off nonchalantly, instead of doing the wise thing and looking into it, knowing what this could mean.  They're called Changelings for a reason, Celestia.  They change their appearance.  If you don't at least know that about Equestria's enemies, then what else don't you know?

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

If you ask me, there's no such thing as something "overrated" in the first place. The popularity of anything is all based on the opinion of the individuals of the general public. If they like it, then it's positively received: Simple as that.

... But, this isn't exactly the Debate Pit, is it?

Well, yes, the episode was flawed. VERY flawed. The extremely forced introduction of Shining Armor and Mi Amore Cadenza; everypony just turning a blind eye to Twilight's words; the fact that Cadence was being mean instead of nice, ruining the point of her plan to begin with; the forced Luna at the very end... but in the end, it was a fun episode to watch. I enjoyed it, many bronies enjoyed it; in the end, it was an enjoyable episode. Not to say it was -good- necessarily, but I still think it was worth watching. That's my opinion, anyway.

This really is all about the action and animation.

The rest is pretty dang meh.

As for

"Except it isn't overrated.  There's plenty of flaws that have been constantly mentioned by people"

I remember a certain guy called David Ker who picked this episode apart fairly and altogether wrote an excellent analysis

You know what he's famous for now?

If you really want to insult a MLP fan, call 'em "David Ker"

This really is all about the action and animation.

The rest is pretty dang meh.

As for

"Except it isn't overrated.  There's plenty of flaws that have been constantly mentioned by people"

I remember a certain guy called David Ker who picked this episode apart fairly and altogether wrote an excellent analysis

You know what he's famous for now?

If you really want to insult a MLP fan, call 'em "David Ker"

I never understood people deal with David Ker, there are plenty of EQD regulars who are leagues worse than him

The Mane five and Celestia walking out on Twilight scene was the most stupid and crinch worthy moment in the show.

Srsly? Personally, I almost wept when that happened!

Also, I'm gonna make another personal confession here (deep breath): Queen Chrysalis and her minions FRIGHTENED me  :o They FRIGHTENED me  :o I didn't even know that it was still possible for a cartoon to actually FRIGHTEN me at my age  :lol:

My heart sank when Princess Celestia's crown went flying  :o

hY7NJ38.png

Whew, I really bared my soul confessing all that

If this were the 50th Doctor Who Anniversary special, I would agree. The producers CREATED a paradox. Now, how is the War Doctor possible?

Anyways, that episode had a great plot, but It had flaws I do agree.

They didn't stop the Time War from happening. They just changed its outcome on its very last day at the very last second. So the Eighth Doctor still regenerated into the War Doctor.

But I digress. Yes, the episode is overrated. Still good, but I think everyone was too overwhelmed by how epic the villain and third act were to really notice that it had quite a lot of flaws throughout.

• Brohoof 1

Looking back, I see plenty of lost potential in this story. The pacing was rushed because they were introducing a lot in merely two episodes. I can't completely blame them for a lack of development in Twilight's brother or Mi Amore Cadenza (Is that her actual name or only something Chrysalis made up because I am not sure it is ever brought back again) because there is literally not enough time for that. They aren't a part of Twilight's life during her time in Ponyville so they can't cut to developing these characters in the episodes we know unless they made brief cameos in Return of Harmony which wouldn't have been possible.

Two episodes for this Canterlot Wedding isn't enough for development and the princess only had time in the second episode. We knew them only in terms of the plot of this two part episode. Perhaps it should have been three parts. The first being determined focus on character development for Cadence and Shining Armor (including flashbacks as needed). I am not sure how we could change the villain's plot as it pertains to her disguise as the princess and her treatment of Twilight but there should be some changes.

Then move on to part two with the return of the Changlings. Focus somewhat on Shining Armor's ability to deploy a defense of the city. Make it so that Changlings had already been in the city already but weren't able to use their powers to steal the energy of ponies until the defenses were fully destroyed. Them being already disguised would rationalize why the princesses were fooled so easily (which would be hard; this wasn't their finest hour). Bring an actual reason why the Changling Queen should carry out the false wedding. The fighting aspects were alright because I think the changling ground soldiers wouldn't have had time to feed and gain enough energy at such an early time to fight the mane six single unless they were overwhelming in numbers. Celestia was overpowered, resulting in her horn being burnt which rationalized why she was overcome so easily.

A third part would focus on the concept of love as it sown independent force such as friendship. This is after the mane defenses had been defeated. Perhaps now the mane six and/or spike must now go and try to reunite the real Cadence and Shining Armor to reunite them. A difficult point is the suddenness of the arrival of love. When Spike perhaps reunites them, their power must be aided with the love from the mane six. They must go out and find ones they love and use that power tied by Cadence to overwhelm the Changlings throughout the city and cast a wide net to fling them away. The CMC are there and others as well to serve as this conduit. I don't know. Perhaps that would be a bad idea but it's another way to tell the story. The main six would be given more time even though the story wasn't meant to focus on them or the Elements of Harmony.

I remember a certain guy called David Ker who picked this episode apart fairly and altogether wrote an excellent analysis You know what he's famous for now?
Nope.

What is with that guy?

Every episode has their flaws, two part episodes are usually the episodes that don't explain much and have flaws. A Canterlot Wedding did have a lot of potential in the story, the pacing was rushed when it came to introducing Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Twilight's brother Shining Armor. The songs are pretty good but, it's not overrated.

They kinda needed Celestia to fail for the episode to be better. Otherwise Celestia would've just blasted the Queen far away and the changelings would follow suit. That's not what we wanted to see. Plus, didn't Chrysalis have a good enough plan? She knew the basics of what she was doing, it was all going well until Cadance and Shining totally blasted her holey butt right out of Canterlot. She couldn't have really planned that though, because in her eyes, there was nothing to oppose her once she had all that power.

I do realise the episode was rushed though. A third part would have been better. At least 95% of the fandom has gotta be on that boat too. If it weren't so rushed, it would have been much better.

They didn't stop the Time War from happening. They just changed its outcome on its very last day at the very last second. So the Eighth Doctor still regenerated into the War Doctor.

But I digress. Yes, the episode is overrated. Still good, but I think everyone was too overwhelmed by how epic the villain and third act were to really notice that it had quite a lot of flaws throughout.

No, but It does blantantly contradict the last episode of the Tenth doctor. Galilfrey was still there at that time, unless that episode was inaccurate...

As much as I love Shining Armor and some of the songs in there, I do agree.  It should have had more character and story development.  But then again...  Are they making this more so now for younger girls or Bronies?  Because I doubt little girls would care or notice.

No, but It does blantantly contradict the last episode of the Tenth doctor. Galilfrey was still there at that time, unless that episode was inaccurate...

I haven't watched "The End of Time" in a while, but my assumption is that the high council and the other Time Lords were doing their whole Master Plan before the final Dalek assault.