My idea is below.  

50 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

(edited)

OMG!! I just found something out!!! While watching

, I found out (thanks to a person named Shino302) that MLP:FiM could go on forever.pinkiepie!!!! He said this:

Luckily Hasbro is smart, the entire show is a giant commercial for there toys and it's making sales to people outside the demographic. So as long as we keep buying toys it could go on forever.

ISN'T THAT AWESOME!!!! Everypony, we just need to buy more pony stuff and we can see the show more and more!!

5 reasons why this is such a great idea.

• The show will continue,
  • We love the show,
  • The show teaches us great lessons,
  • We put so much effort into everything in the show and cancelling it will be taking our work and sh*tting on it,
  • And if the show ends, the bronies of the world will destroy EVERYTHING!!!
Edited by Ninja Derpy
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

First, i agree to Cherilee. It would be bad if the story would slack off.

However, it might still end even if it is a commercial success, if the writers decide to end it after a while before the storyline decays.

That will lead either to worse storywriters or to cancellation.

But since the show is still up and awesome we should enjoy it instead of discussing its possible end.

Edited by Blaine

You -DO- realize My little pony has been a TV programme since the 80's right? :I

Ofcourse it's going to go on. They'll do 2, maybe 3 FiM series at a push, then stop. Then in a few years, when Hasbro want to produce and sell new my little pony toys, they'll make G5 of My Little Pony, and make a new TV Series.

All forms of toys go in and out of 'fashion'. That's why there's been 4 waves of 'pony' toys. Like with Beyblades, I think there's been 2 different waves of those toys. In the UK, where I live there seems to be a scooter phase going around right now. I haven't seen people playing on scooters since I was about 13/14, and I'm 19 now.

• Brohoof 2

Eh, its possible. After all, Doctor Who has gone on forever. Or does it just seem like forever?

I cant really buy much pony merc, but ill keep my eye out anyway!

• Brohoof 1

It's near impossible to make a show go on forever at a consistent level, I defy you to name any TV show which has been on for a good number of years and hasn't been subject of fairly widespread criticism in its later years.

The Simpsons and Family Guy spring to mind, although South Park is going okay.. but that's more to do with the fact that their material is based on current events, and news always changes.

• Brohoof 1

It's near impossible to make a show go on forever at a consistent level, I defy you to name any TV show which has been on for a good number of years and hasn't been subject of fairly widespread criticism in its later years.

The Simpsons and Family Guy spring to mind, although South Park is going okay.. but that's more to do with the fact that their material is based on current events, and news always changes.

Do you think South Park and The Simpsons and Family Guy are going to parody MLP????

This is my predction for FiM.

At one point the show will serious up. There will be an amazing season with an actual story arc, and that will be the end. Then we'll have a finished product thast will be able to become a classic and resist the test of time.

It could go on forever, but eventually people would get worn out of it. (Or we would just simply grow up?) I really dunno. I stopped watching spongebob cause I grew up. But it is still on, is it any good now? Does any of you now?

What I mean is that, while there are some shows that are iconinc and will apparently not end, like the simpsons, they are based on current events, and thus can keep going. MLP is no parody, and writers would eventually run out of cartoon cliches.

They could keep going with boring episodes until the show its cancelled because it sucks, or they could do an amazing story arc and or movie to wrap it up that would be so amazing that people would never forget it.

Hasbro really wont keep selling toys with it forever. There have been 4 generations of ponies so far. There will be a fifth

Toy sales don't always equate to a show's longevity I'm afraid. Lots of shows are nothing more than 20-25 minute toy commercials (Transformers, Power Rangers, Gundam to name a few) and they eventually end. True, they run on a set plot/arcing story and can only go for so long, but the same could be said for single episode story lines like Spongebob, Simpsons, ect.

Then there's Seasonal Rot to factor in, an occurence similar to "Jumping the shark" when a show starts to show a definite degrade in quality when compared to episodes before. Most shows end in their prime before this is allowed to set in and an equal number have outright been cancelled because of this. Regardless of content, something can only run so long until it starts become tired and predictable.

Sure, I'd like the show to continue for a long time, but FOOOOOOREEEVER! seems rather unlikely.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Forever" is hard to define. Do you mean like The Simpsons or Law&Order, where a show runs for over a decade (or two), amasses a large following, and maintains roughly the same cast? In voice work, it's a little easier to keep the same people involved who made the show successful; on the other hand, even the best shows tend to degrade over time. Some may even argue that The Simpsons has long since seen its best years and is running primarily on the reputation of being entertaining. I think that particular subject depends on your point of view. But MLP: FiM is seemingly in the odd territory of being capable of sustaining a long run (i.e., is not time bound, and can be adjusted for the currents in entertainment) while simultaneously not being necessarily geared toward doing so (i.e., the target audience eventually moves on). Bronies will probably be the determining factor since the target audience is likely to grow older and view MLP as purely a kids show they left behind long ago. I suppose it would then depend on how the Hasbro executives feel since, to the best of my knowledge, everyone directly involved in the creation of MLP: FiM is quite supportive and pleased with its unexpected success among Bronies. Plus, the job seems to be pretty fun!

There are times, however, when a show reaches its end in terms of creative flexibility. I've highlighted them before, but Power Puff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory suffered through notoriously foul final seasons as those shows came to a close. A good deal of that had to do, I think, with staff members leaving and attempts to revamp those cartoons through new art and style direction. The main point is this: even the best shows can be subject to bouts of awfulness. The only show I watched which I can recall remained consistently entertaining was MST3K, but its scope was relatively narrow in comparison to MLP: FiM. Should MLP hit a rut, it will have to be judged by its context. If things are clearly winding down, however, then they should be allowed to close as smoothly as possible rather than be resurrected for the sake of doing so.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer it have a long, high quality life on television so we may enjoy the show for years to come. But I'd rather MLP: FiM run for fewer seasons at a high quality rather than run for many seasons accompanied by gradual decay.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

Well granted they don't slack off and the storyline becomes really weak

And attention to all other doubters, too. Someone beat me to the response:

Eh, its possible. After all, Doctor Who has gone on forever. Or does it just seem like forever?

I cant really buy much pony merc, but ill keep my eye out anyway!

Dr. Who started black and white. It's gone through some haituses, granted, but it's still great nonetheless. Granted; it's scope is endless: any time and place in history and basically anything the writers can imagine, with a hero and heroine to go through them, and even that can change.

But MLP is also pretty open-ended. 6 friends and whatever the writers can imagine for their adventures. We've even been the wild west, I mean it could go anywhere. Maybe if my fanfic gets finished and popular, it will be inspiration for the writers to send ponies into space XD lol.

This is my predction for FiM.

At one point the show will serious up. There will be an amazing season with an actual story arc, and that will be the end. Then we'll have a finished product thast will be able to become a classic and resist the test of time.

It could go on forever, but eventually people would get worn out of it. (Or we would just simply grow up?) I really dunno. I stopped watching spongebob cause I grew up. But it is still on, is it any good now? Does any of you now?

What I mean is that, while there are some shows that are iconinc and will apparently not end, like the simpsons, they are based on current events, and thus can keep going. MLP is no parody, and writers would eventually run out of cartoon cliches.

They could keep going with boring episodes until the show its cancelled because it sucks, or they could do an amazing story arc and or movie to wrap it up that would be so amazing that people would never forget it.

Hasbro really wont keep selling toys with it forever. There have been 4 generations of ponies so far. There will be a fifth

No offense... But this makes me wish there was a dislike button :mellow:

• Brohoof 2

Honestly I think Hasbro will try to keep it running as long as it keeps generating a formula for financial success, but who knows, the future is a mystery and I think we'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

And attention to all other doubters, too. Someone beat me to the response:

Dr. Who started black and white. It's gone through some haituses, granted, but it's still great nonetheless. Granted; it's scope is endless: any time and place in history and basically anything the writers can imagine, with a hero and heroine to go through them, and even that can change.

But MLP is also pretty open-ended. 6 friends and whatever the writers can imagine for their adventures. We've even been the wild west, I mean it could go anywhere. Maybe if my fanfic gets finished and popular, it will be inspiration for the writers to send ponies into space XD lol.

No offense... But this makes me wish there was a dislike button :mellow:

I don't see why you'd have reason to air dislike at that post? I think it's a fair theory.. there's no reason to dislike a theory just because you don't like it xD If you can provide another theory of show progression then be my guest ^^ But thus far, a couple of series IS where the show is heading as a maximum production level. But surely we'd rather have a few good series than a lot of poorer ones?

I don't see why you'd have reason to air dislike at that post? I think it's a fair theory.. there's no reason to dislike a theory just because you don't like it xD If you can provide another theory of show progression then be my guest ^^ But thus far, a couple of series IS where the show is heading as a maximum production level. But surely we'd rather have a few good series than a lot of poorer ones?

I didn't say the theory was unrealistic or bad... I just said I didn't like it :P lol.

Plus... MLP won't die just because it doesn't have cartoon cliches...

I didn't say the theory was unrealistic or bad... I just said I didn't like it :P lol.

Plus... MLP won't die just because it doesn't have cartoon cliches...

Fair enough, I'm sure none of us like it but it's just realistic I suppose D: It makes us appreciate the series as it is now though :3

And I somewhat agree to be honest.. Bronies won't abandon the show because of it, and the younger audience would be oblivious to them anyway. I think the show will start running out of ideas eventually though, as there's a lot of ground they can't tread because of the younger audience.

(edited)

MLP is here to stay for the long term. But I'm sure G4 will eventually end, since there's really only so many morals that can be taught well, and the powers that be will move on to G5.

With any luck, G5 will try to live up to it's predecessor's standard.

Edited by Jadefire

(edited)

And like I said before, you all need to realize that Friendship is Magic is just ONE series in the MLP universe.

There's been 11 generations of doctor who. Each series had a different doctor and/or companion.

It's like this.

Generation one of My Little Pony was based in 'Dream Valley'

Generation two in 'Friendship Gardens'

etc etc upto the generation we're on now: Friendship is Magic.

We'll get THREE series of episodes if we're lucky.

Yes, MY LITTLE PONY will go on, and there will be another series. but I highly doubt it will be the Friendship is Magic one. Hasbro will soon move onto other toy commercials, then come back to MLP in a few years, with a new style and series.

Edited by Laydee Kaze
  • Brohoof 1

I would also agree to it lasting forever... but the others DO have a point. Ideas start to dry up... The story line at some point is going to have to grow stale, unless people are that creative to last forever. It isn't that I do not want it to exist if that ever happens, it is just that it might demoralize some people, and that's the worse thing.

they'll make G5 of My Little Pony, and make a new TV Series.

I don't think so, it would be a "dumb" move on hasbro's end...why?

MONEY, the whole reason why MOST of us are on this website is gen 4 and only gen 4.

Gen 4 makes money, hasbro want money.

I think it will be a good few years before hasbro make a gen 5.

I would also agree to it lasting forever... but the others DO have a point. Ideas start to dry up... The story line at some point is going to have to grow stale, unless people are that creative to last forever. It isn't that I do not want it to exist if that ever happens, it is just that it might demoralize some people, and that's the worse thing.

I'm getting a little confused with the posts here xD Are you saying that "Yes I agree that I WANT it to last forever, but I know it won't, so I will continue to believe it will" or are you saying "The show will last forever, but I can see how there's a possibility it won't"? :P

I don't think so, it would be a "dumb" move on hasbro's end...why?

MONEY, the whole reason why MOST of us are on this website is gen 4 and only gen 4.

Gen 4 makes money, hasbro want money.

I think it will be a good few years before hasbro make a gen 5.

Hasbro isn't dumb, but after a few series of this show, interest will start to dry up, which is when Hasbro pull it and move on to G5. The few bronies left who want the show to continue won't be able to provide as much money as the combination of bronies/younger generation who buy the merchandise now. :P