Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Whose Side Did You End Up Taking? *Bats episode spoiler*

A Talking Dragon

Whose side did you even up taking in the epsiode?  

87 users have voted

1. 1. Who do you feel made a better point about the bats?

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Neither, both made good points

Before the second half of Bats, where the focus was Bat-Fluttershy, the episode sets up an interesting dilemma between Applejack and Fluttershy regarding the vampire bats at AJ's farm: are they destructive pests for AJ's livelihood or innocent creatures merely part of nature's cycle?

Even as I didn't watch looking to take sides, I felt myself drawn to one pony's viewpoint over the other. So, looking at what you saw, whose side did you find yourself drawn to?

-

Edited by A Talking Dragon

I could understand both points of view but was slightly more sympathetic toward Applejack in large part due to favorite pony bias creeping in but also because as a farmer an infestation is a threat to the livelihoods of her and her family as well as a threat the Ponyvilles food supply as it has been implied that apples are a very important staple crop there. What would you do if something could potentially cause you and your family to starve? Fluttershy was trying to find a humane approach which of course is understandable and though Applejack shouldn't have dismissed Fluttershy's suggestions offhand but I can understand why she took the "give an inch and they will take a mile" approach.

• Brohoof 6

I was on AJ's team, until she decided to mess with the bat's way of life and minds according to Twi's plan; I usually take the logical side of things, but I've also got a shred of humanity (or so I like to think :D) and Twi's plan to manipulate and brainwash the bats made me flip flop sides :D

It isn't cool to do that stuff, you know? :D

• Brohoof 1

Hmm.....I think I was a bit more on AJ's side with this one. Given that those apples are incredibly important for all of Ponyville and that ponies could potentially have no food during the winter, her arguments made more sense to me.

• Brohoof 3

I had to side with Fluttershy because the last time they went against her with the reformation of Discord, they were wrong that she was able to change him without her element (oh element that's right, no more Elements of Harmony). Although with the small act he was putting on in that episode, they didn't want to see that Discord was changed and use possibly brute force to do so. So after their idea in this episode backfired and they fixed the problem, they were sorry (mainly Applejack) for not trusting Fluttershy in the first place, pretty much like "Keep Calm and Flutter On." 

Edited by JRex95
  • Brohoof 1

I took Shy's side in this one based on her explotion

how the bats have their place in nature and also

how they help the trees and such in the long term and

give also how much land AJ's family seems to have it felt

a bit self centered she would not put aside just a patch

of land for some rare bats.   Judging a animal based

on what you see and how you think they ruin everyday life....

Strange like it made me think of how in the usa we killed off

a lot of animals just due to how they say effect our lives and being

a self centered race thinking nature should bow to us and etc.

I had already sided with Fluttershy from the start. I felt that any decision should benefit all parties involved, including the animals. They're creatures that need caring too. They're a part of this world and the ponies have to understand that.

That's not to say that I'd go as far as PETA when it comes to supporting "animal rights". I understand Applejack has a family to feed, and I know that Rainbow Dash wants her apple cider too. Fluttershy's solution was rational under the fact that while the bats will get their daily ration of apples, Applejack also maintains her apple farm. Plus, it's like what Fluttershy said. The seeds spewed from the vampire bats will allow the trees to grow. 

Sure I'm taking the side of my crush on this one because she'd say the same thing, but it's true. You can't just ignore nature. Who knows? It could come back to haunt you because all nature is intertwined with each other.

• Brohoof 4

I know this may seem dumb to say, but honestly I wouldn't of taken any sides, I mean both Applejack and Fluttershy had valid arguments and points made, while I feel Fluttershy's point was more humane, I understood Applejack's argument not stating I agree, but between the two of them I wouldn't of taken a side and I know that seems dumb to say and post, but that's what I believe.

• Brohoof 1

I would have taken Fluttershy's side.

Obviously it didn't take the ponies that long to build a sanctuary, as they did it by the end of the episode.

Also, RD was acting both like a little child and an alcoholic with her precious cider.

And about the "Ponyville would starve without our apples!", that's just bull. We've seen at least one restaurant that serves fries and sandwiches (The Ticket Master & Magical Mystery Cure) and Sugarcube Corner. Ponyville would survive without apples.

And by building the sanctuary, the farm would avoid financial ruin.

Fluttershy had the better argument and her friends, mainly AJ and RD completely ignored her, AJ with her prejudice and RD with her selfishness.

• Brohoof 3

I thought both of them made good points in the bats debate (debatts?), but I didn't take a side in the matter. I was just thinking "I hope this whole episode isn't about endangered species or something." (Fortunately, it turned into something much cooler than that.  B))

What I didn't like was the stare/brainwashing scheme, though. There must have been a better way to stop the bats, and that plan turned out to be a lot more trouble than it was worth.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

I sided with fluttershy, especially when they started singing the song. Fluttershy knows animals best, so I knew that she had more "authority" in dealing with them. She made valid points and I agreed with all of them.

I thought Applejack had a better reason. It's just that, Fluttershy's side was more sympathetic. She wanted the bats to be seen as friends of nature, but Applejack was a bit more logical in stating they simply caused a problem. I would be mad if all my hard work was eaten and as a result caused hunger for the family and others.

I'll say that Fluttershy's idea to give the bats a place to stay was a good one, though. That was more on the logical side.

Edited by FeIix
  • Brohoof 2

I tend to think in a more logical perspective when it comes to making my decisions, so I would to side with Applejack on this one. Her reasons and the points she gave simply made a whole lot more sense to me. Besides, this crisis did occur at the Sweet Apple Acres; the Apple family's home and beloved property. :huh: Those apple trees are the ultimate backbone of their business and the overall well being of Ponyville. Though her plan and way of going about it was a little irrational and Fluttershy's idea at the very end of episode did turn out to be a simple and logical solution that benefited both her and Applejack. :huh:

So I did side with Applejack; I just didn't agree with the way she actually went about it. She made a lot of sense, but her plan and having Twilight brainwash the ponies was really unnecessary in my opinion. 

• Brohoof 3

I was on Applejack's team initially until she went with brainwashing. Brainwashing is very unethical no matter the reason you're doing it for. It's wrong and inhumane so Fluttershy seemed to be a pretty good idea.

Not to mention Fluttershy added good points by saying to add a sanctuary and the bats would soon scatter the seeds.

So at that point Fluttershy had pretty much won me over to her side.

Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson

I took Applejack's side. All of Fluttershy's arguments used these cute bats that seemed to spawn out of nowhere. The bats they actually had to deal with later were just the scary ones. Fluttershy needs to quit playing.

I took Applejack's side. All of Fluttershy's arguments used these cute bats that seemed to spawn out of nowhere. The bats they actually had to deal with later were just the scary ones. Fluttershy needs to quit playing.

Well hey to her those bats look cute.

Maybe that's just how she sees the world lol. In anycase it was a good contrast to her point in her song.