Nohbdy

S04:E08 - Rarity Takes Manehattan  

326 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Enjoyable episode. I'm so glad Rarity got the focus of an episode, it's been too long. Rarity's line of "ISN'T FRIENDSHIP MAGIC?!?!" was hilarious, and will instantly be a hit withing the community.

The short blue haired pony was cute too. I sort of hope we see her again.

Overall one of the better episodes of the season. Here's hoping another Rarity episode comes our way this season!

• Brohoof 1

It was quite enjoyable. I now feel as though Rarity is coming very close to taking third place in my top 3 favorite ponies. Twilight is there currently...but I don't know. Rarity really stood out in a way that I never knew was there. I liked that. It built upon the character development. As always, a very good song to listen to, a second one included. That's a first. (For a normal episode, anyway) And there was even a lesson in the end like there used to be. I'm happy this diary came into place. I've always loved the lessons, and this was a good replacement for it. At first I felt unsure about season 4, but lately it feels like it's reverting to the way MLP was before. I'm beginning to remember why I fell in love with the series, and it feels good to have that love come back.

• Brohoof 1

Next one is Pinkie Apple Pie, then Rainbow Falls.

I am so excited to finally see "Pinkie Apple Pie!"

As for this episode, I thought that it was really great.  I think it is my favorite episode of Season 4 so far.  I like when they reference the Element of Harmony that each of the mane six represents.  It is nice to see that even though the ponies don't have the actual Elements anymore, they still exhibit those qualities.

I ADORE this episode. 

the song was great, for all of those people who were like "rarity is a self centered half hearted..."

Anyway, For all of those people, that song was just proving that rarity is AWESOME!

"It was aight." Guys, Come on. Rainbow dash sounded so .... messed up there.

I think, all in all, it was an amazing episode and it has took over my last fave, princess cadence's wedding. 

Rarity was FAB!

:D  >_>

• Brohoof 2

They offered her their services, but she abused their services and didn't think about them, and when Twilight confronted her, she got all bitchy. Sure she may have been the one to bring them all there, but they could have very well went there without her if they wanted to, they just went because Rarity was going, not because Rarity was the only way they could go.

Also I kinda agree, I did think about Twilight status being able to get them a Taxi, but that would be completely rude to the people who were waiting, and obviously no one in Manehattan gave 2 craps about Twilight being a Princess (Which is a good thing) because that is just an abuse of power.

But I do hope Coco shows up often in future episodes.

Isn't what the Mane 5 doing to Rarity basically taking advantage if her generosity the same way? They were offered to go, by Rarity. They were given the tickets. By Rarity.To repay, while yes, she was being a jerk, they didn't want to help her. In AJ's plight, she stood by her even though she WAS being pushy.You'd think if you'd offer generosity, you'd get ig back regardless of whether your being mean. Even then, she has a reason and a very logical one. Her crap was stolen that she worked hard on. Legit reason for being a bitch. Its similar to AJ's reason. The bats took her apples, she makes income that way, and needed assistance to remove them. No matter how pushy she has been, no matter how forceful, they stood behind her. What is the difference here? Her fabric she even invented was stllen by Suri, causing her stress.

Rarity didn't react this way earlier because it wasn't that her clothing was stolen, it was the fact that they used her generosity and basically caused her buisness fail. (Suited for Success)

While she did react towards it to the others, regardless they should have tried a bit more to help her. They were the ones who beld her up earlier when she took them on a rendezvous.

Edited by Scootadress

Everyone focuses on Rarity's bad behaviour (I'm not denying it happened, of course) but what about the others, Rainbow Dash, for example? The Element of Loyalty being ready to ditch a tough task they volunteered for to go see a show the very pony they are abandoning managed to get them in to see. Not very cool.  -_-

pff that's easy to defend.

honestly, realistically, rarity should have just thrown in the towl after she got ripped off.

No seriously, 

she made fashion from hotel materail?

Really?  Look I liked the materail she used the first time, it was cool.  it looked neat.

but everytones okay with "bed sheets and what have you beat that out."

....Really?  that was retarded.  In all honesty rarity went for an ultra far long shot, using materails she didn't even own, or get permission to use.

and everyones okay with that.

Her friends already helped rarity out, they came for moral support, got her, her dresses, helped as long as possible,

and in all hoensty if rarity needed their help and for them to miss the musical,

she easily could have asked nicer and stressed how important it was with out fliping her s&$&.

At worse her friends said something kinda dumb.

their was no malicious intent there.

• Brohoof 1

i don't have nothing against rarity(she's my 2nd favourite pony,the first is a mistery...)but this is too much to not see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak3s9scbiuQ

enjoy the "true" behavior of our lovable fashionite

Edited by Lightwing19

I agree.  I think it's more of a case of "What goes around, comes around" but in a more positive sense.  The good thing about the spirit of generosity is that it's infectious, and the whole episode was about that spirit.

And when she does demand/guilt trip her friends into repaying her generosity when they're helping her make the dresses, it's her just being caught up in her emotions.  The harsh and bitter "reality check" she got from Suri about how it's "every pony for herself" twisted her idea of generosity as something that needs to be repaid or cashed in.  I wouldn't take that scene as how she actually views generosity most of the time.

Absolutely.  Rarity is a fascinatingly complex character, and over time I've come to view her as the most relatable to anyone working in a professional capacity.  She wants to be generous, because she genuinely enjoys being generous and altruistic, helping ponies in need and simply doing nice things.  But at the same time, she personally wants to be successful, she knows how hard that is, and she will often stop at nothing to achieve her goals.  And she realizes (rightly so) that generosity alone won't get her there.

The problem she faces isn't that she can't both be generous and also focus on herself and her goals, but rather that she needs to find the right balance between the two.  This episode shows her going overboard in both directions and getting burned in both cases, which I think is an excellent lesson.  (Somewhat similar to Pinkie's "Too much of a good thing" lessons in both Party of One and Too Many Pinkie Pies.)

This, however, is why I feel the song did her a disservice: I realize that the song is mostly about karma, about how Manehattan supposedly embodies the spirit of the Golden Rule.  But it came across more to me as "Hey, look, everyone!  See how generous I can be!"  It actually put Rarity more at risk of having a conspicuous ulterior motive (expecting something in return for her generosity), which wasn't really the song's aim.  An alternative view might have been that she wanted to set a good example for others, but again, there's a really fine line there between "You should be generous because it makes people happy" and "Look at me, everybody!"

Like I said earlier, though, I think they more than made up for this in the rest of the story by giving Rarity a real (and difficult!) problem directly tied to her generosity, giving her an interesting solution, and then allowing her to show how true generosity really works.  And in a way, it makes me think back over the song again and wonder if it was actually right - that she was going about it the wrong way and that was setting her up for failure.  If that was the writers' goal, then I think overall they did a good job with it, but the delivery of the song muddled the message just a bit.

No seriously, 

Really?  Look I liked the materail she used the first time, it was cool.  it looked neat.

....Really?  that was retarded.  In all honesty rarity went for an ultra far long shot, using materails she didn't even own, or get permission to use.

(My apologies if this doesn't format correctly - the editor was having trouble handling the quote here.)

Ever seen a real fashion show?  Some of the designs coming out of those really DO look like someone just made a cheap dress out of a shower curtain, but for some reason it's the hot new fashion.  My wife was just describing a photo she saw from some designer recently who took a high-heel shoe, turned it upside down and strapped it to the model's head.

Yeah, I don't get high fashion either.

(Also, it's implied that she's on excellent terms with the hotel, so one could reason that she had gotten permission to use the hotel's materials, and/or worked out a deal with them to replace those materials later.  I think that's reasonable.)

Edited by Pixel Stick
  • Brohoof 2

Tabitha and Kazumi did some absolutely brilliant work voicing Rarity in this episode :wub:  Dear God, Kazumi's singing is just beautiful~ And remember Meghan (I think) saying they "broke" Tabitha with the Rarity lines this season? I think this episode may be what really did it ^_^  And she voiced Suri too! Wow, she's awesome. And Cathy and Ashleigh got to try voicing some other characters too, with Coco and Prim respectively. They did really well with them. And Coco was such a cutie :yay:

The dialogue in this episode was so well done in my opinion and the songs were amazing. Yeah, the generosity thing might have been a little forced but I personally didn't find it too distracting. Rainbow Dash's comment about musicals was funny enough with Rarity bursting into song right after, but it gets funnier when you remember she's the one who started both Winter Wrap-Up and What My Cutie Mark Is Telling Me :lol:

The only thing that really bugged me in this episode was that one stallion's Grumpy Cat cutie mark. Seriously, guys? Seriously?

Oh, and also "CONGRATU-PONY-LATIONS!" and "ISN'T FRIENDSHIP MAGIC?" are probably two of Rarity's best lines

• Brohoof 2

pff that's easy to defend.

honestly, realistically, rarity should have just thrown in the towl after she got ripped off.

No seriously,

Really? Look I liked the materail she used the first time, it was cool. it looked neat.

....Really? that was retarded. In all honesty rarity went for an ultra far long shot, using materails she didn't even own, or get permission to use.

Her friends already helped rarity out, they came for moral support, got her, her dresses, helped as long as possible,

and in all hoensty if rarity needed their help and for them to miss the musical,

she easily could have asked nicer and stressed how important it was with out fliping her s&$&.

At worse her friends said something kinda dumb.

their was no malicious intent there.

The way she was tossing out the gems I'm sure it was all paid for so yes, I am rather cool with it.

With the right inspiration and talent, even a junk pile can be a work of art.

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 2

Why is everyone so obsessed with Rarity this season?

Seems like every poll this season on EQD that has had Rarity in it, she has won.

I just don't get it.

I don't even know how in the hell she won the Power Ponies "Best Costume" poll, other than the fact people probably just voted for her because of her OP super power, other than her bland purple suit. Seriously, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight should have been miles ahead in the poll. Hell APPLEJACK should have been ahead of Rarity for fuck's sake!

People in this fandom shift opinions so fast it drives me nuts!

Isn't what the Mane 5 doing to Rarity basically taking advantage if her generosity the same way? They were offered to go, by Rarity. They were given the tickets. By Rarity.To repay, while yes, she was being a jerk, they didn't want to help her. In AJ's plight, she stood by her even though she WAS being pushy.You'd think if you'd offer generosity, you'd get ig back regardless of whether your being mean. Even then, she has a reason and a very logical one. Her crap was stolen that she worked hard on. Legit reason for being a bitch. Its similar to AJ's reason. The bats took her apples, she makes income that way, and needed assistance to remove them. No matter how pushy she has been, no matter how forceful, they stood behind her. What is the difference here? Her fabric she even invented was stllen by Suri, causing her stress.
Rarity didn't react this way earlier because it wasn't that her clothing was stolen, it was the fact that they used her generosity and basically caused her buisness fail. (Suited for Success)
While she did react towards it to the others, regardless they should have tried a bit more to help her. They were the ones who beld her up earlier when she took them on a rendezvous.

Even after watching the episode for a second time, I still will have to disagree with you.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Rarity this season?

Seems like every poll this season on EQD that has had Rarity in it, she has won.

I just don't get it.

I don't even know how in the hell she won the Power Ponies "Best Costume" poll, other than the fact people probably just voted for her because of her OP super power, other than her bland purple suit. Seriously, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight should have been miles ahead in the poll. Hell APPLEJACK should have been ahead of Rarity for fuck's sake!

People in this fandom shift opinions so fast it drives me nuts!

Even after watching the episode for a second time, I still will have to disagree with you.

You're acting as if Rarity becoming more popular is wrong because you disagree with it.

You're acting as if Rarity becoming more popular is wrong because you disagree with it.

No I feel the same about how people who vote for Luna all the damn time, and I love Luna. But seems like 98% of people vote for her because of the Fanon around her, not her actual character in the show.

It is just blind votes that piss me off.

Though she does have the best Super Power, I won't deny that. All the other's powers were pretty lame except for maybe Fluttershy's. I am glad Rarity was at least able to win the best Super Power poll legit. I just think people got this mindset, of anything to do with clothes, Rarity automatically wins even if it is a bland, and un-inspired design.

No I feel the same about how people who vote for Luna all the damn time, and I love Luna. But seems like 98% of people vote for her because of the Fanon around her, not her actual character in the show.

It is just blind votes that piss me off.

Though she does have the best Super Power, I won't deny that. All the other's powers were pretty lame except for maybe Fluttershy's. I am glad Rarity was at least able to win the best Super Power poll legit. I just think people got this mindset, of anything to do with clothes, Rarity automatically wins even if it is a bland, and un-inspired design.

Alright, the problem here is that YOU think the outfit is bland. I really liked it; the gems in her mane and tail really looked beautiful, and those magic wristbands made the whole suit.

Personally, just because you didn't like it doesn't make it fact; me liking it doesn't make it fact. It's an opinion. And just because you disagree with it doesn't mean you're right. Let people do as they choose. You can try and prove yourself right, but that doesn't mean you're right. You're not doing a good job of that; aggression and cussing only makes your point look bad.

I for one loved this episode. It felt more like genuin episode n less like a treet for the fans. Don't get me wrong I love when they throw treets at us like Flutterbat or Rainbow nerding out,but this felt like what Rairity fans wanted an episode that really plays on her duplicitious nature. N that's what we like about Rairity is how she can be so self absorbed and yet so giveingin the same moment. Now her generosity dose feel a little forced in the begining but I think that's party due to the fact that they usualy focus so much on her negative points in past episodes and also fans have been begging for more focuse on her generosity that it couldent help but get inflated. What impresses me about this episode was how real the conflict and resolution felt after like 5 episodes of over the top fun this felt like a very believeable slice of reality, and I think that's what's great about it.

Some people are complaining about the "taxi scene" in this episode.

I didn't expect Twilight to flare her wings and demand that those ponies in the line allow Rarity to take the next taxi, and I'm glad she didn't. I want Twilight to "be a princess" by doing stuff like solving problems, and showing wisdom, showing that she has learned something, not by pulling rank like a human teenage bitch whose daddy has too much money in the bank and thinks she can do anything to anyone. So, I don't blame that pony telling Twilight that Rarity has to wait in the line.

Thoughts?

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 4

Some people are complaining about the "taxi scene" in this episode.

I didn't expect Twilight to flare her wings and demand that those ponies in the line allow Rarity to take the next taxi, and I'm glad she didn't. I want Twilight to "be a princess" by doing stuff like solving problems, and showing wisdom, showing that she has learned something, not by pulling rank like a human teenage bitch whose daddy has too much money in the bank and thinks she can do anything to anyone. So, I don't blame that pony telling Twilight that Rarity has to wait in the line.

Thoughts?

She shouldn't have. Abuse of power. Rarity's good karma she built up by being generous and kindhearted came through, though :D

Okay, now that the forums are back and I can actually say something about this episode, I would just like to say... I WANTED TO TEAR UP THIS EPISODE WAS SO GOOD.

Seriously, this is some of the best writing I've seen in a while from this show. I love the fact that Rarity was so caught up in her generous nature is screwed her over at the competition. Come on girl, why would give your best fabric to somepony you're supposed to go up against? You might as well give her a nuke while you're at it. And then you've got the rest of the mane 6 getting all excited to spending time in Manehattan, and then suffering from Rarity's breakdown. I can't tell you how many times I've been in this situation.

By far the best part of the whole episode was Coco Pommel. By god, she's the most adorable side character I've ever seen. The first time she spoke I just wanted to giver her a big hug, 'cause she really could've used one. Having to make a living working with a lying, stealing, cold-hearted mare? The poor thing. I'm so glad she stood up for herself and revealed the truth. She may come back in the future, and I'm so happy to hear that. I love this mare, she's a real sweetheart.

And I like the fact that we actually have a clue to the box, that darn thing's been neglected. The symbolism was a really nice touch.

All in all, this is the best episode of the season so far.

• Brohoof 1

what does everypony think of the episode since its been about 34 or so since the last rarity centered episode

and i must admit i loved this episode but rarity gives out gems like candy i mean is she really that rich i mean i understand fashion is a lucrative job but geez if it were not for her friend i have a feeling she would be living in ponyville

i meant canterlot sorry