1. 1. Which do you identify as?

• Boy (cis/not transgender)
    • Girl (cis/not transgender)
    • Transgender boy
    • Transgender girl
    • Bigender
    • None of the above
    • Questioning

I identify as male and I know someone who is a close friend of mine that is gender-fluid (feels like one or the other depending on the day) but I just really don't understand that. Why do you feel that way in the first place? Why is your gender or what you identify as matter? 

I'm a straight male who's not overly masculine. Biologically I'm male, most of my friends are guys, and most of my hobbies are also enjoyed by other males, even if they're not inherently masculine. Sexuality plays a big part in it, too. Because I'm attracted to females, it's easier to consider myself a male.

If anything, I would identify as neutral. The gender roles society has placed on me don't always feel "right," but I do have a natural tendency to follow them. Part of the reason why I'm not gay is because I want someone to balance out my manliness, if that makes sense. That would allow me to achieve a state of being closer to the neutral ground.

So yes, I'm a guy. Even if I was more effeminate, I would still identify as a guy. I don't consider myself masculine, but I don't consider myself feminine. I consider myself a person with a male body, and thus a male.

Now, the tricky question is, if I had a female body, would I identify with it? My immediate answer is no, just upon my initial reaction. It seems so weird to think of myself as a female.

However, upon further analysis, even if my personality stayed the same, if I was born a female, I would likely consider myself one. In female form, I would be like Twilight Sparkle. I already identify with her; being female would make me identify with her on an even stronger level.

So, I don't think I would feel any more or less out of place. I would just be a fem-me.

I'm a guy. I used to think I wanted to be born as a female, but then I realized, that's just my romantic nature (I love stories of heroism where a knight or some other hero rescues a girl, although I also like stories where a girl saves herself). I don't doubt that in one of my lifetimes I was a girl though.

• Brohoof 1

i have a penis, i am not comfortable with my penis, i'd rather have a vagina in its place, but the process of transition is long and painful and expensive. for that reason i'll likely stick with having a penis, i don't care what pronouns you use when referring to me but i strongly prefer female ones.

Been a male since as far back as in the womb.

Also; if you're "a male with female characteristics" what exactly are you implying? Are you developing breasts or something? If you mean you act feminine, it has to do with your personality and not your biological gender.

• Brohoof 1

I identify as female and this is actually something I only recently came to terms with.

but I'm getting better at admitting it.

most of the time I'll just say that I'm gay (its what my mom thinks)

most people I know irl wouldn't understand it.

• Brohoof 1

There is a reason behind me being a changeling, for as long as I could remember, I always wanted to change myself, be a different person. I would have very much liked to have been a girl rather than this guy I am now...

So my 2 OCs are a part of me. Shade, the girl, sweet and caring, but also had a thing for mischief . And DOPPELRAC the insane guy who is always awesome!

Both of them are a side of me, and I eather turn into one of them personality wise if not physically wise.

Been a male since as far back as in the womb.

Also; if you're "a male with female characteristics" what exactly are you implying? Are you developing breasts or something? If you mean you act feminine, it has to do with your personality and not your biological gender.

I'm guessing that's what they mean.

A male who has female mannerisms and personality traits.

Edited by Rainbow Hashbrown

I'm just gonna say I'm agender right now because I'm kinda stuck in a rut. I identify as MtF though.

I want to transition but if I do I'll lose a ton of people I love, like my family and bf ><

I picked Bi-gender. Though that's not really a correct answer.

I'm more along the lines of being genderfluid with perhaps a bit of transgender mixed in. It's hard ot explain.I have it on my profile if you're interested.  Physically I'm a male, though on my profile I have it set as female, in a way, I rather like the idea of being female...I'm not too fond being a male. That said, you can refer to me as male or female. I'm a fan of girly things.I like pink,I like wearing women's clothing. I feel more comfortable in women's clothing. I'd kill to have long hair.

Though, I don't think I'd ever get a MtF operation, not that there's anything wrong with it, but I just can't see myself going through it...BUT if there was some magical gender bending spell that I could use, sign me up!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Here's where I have an issue to an extent. It doesn't matter how you want to appear to other people, how you want to act, etc. but your gender isn't something you make up, It's determined by your genitals. Unzip those pants, if you have a dangly thing there, you are MALE, if you don't, you are FEMALE. I know there are people who are born kinda both genders, but my point is that it makes no sense to walk around, a biological male, but identify and say you are female. It's biology, it has nothing to do with who you are as a person.

This is one of the most transphobic things I've read in a while. Physical sex doesn't equal gender identity.

I've always been an androgynous genderqueer, both with appearance, and I'm hopefully going to physically transition to something far more androgynous soon.

• Brohoof 1

This is one of the most transphobic things I've read in a while. Physical sex doesn't equal gender identity.

Yet said poster voted "Transgender girl". Hm...

Just reminds me of trans exclusive radical feminists I've dealt with who who use wrong pronouns for people because of the physical sex they were born with, not to mention the same type of thinking from other types of people.

I identify myself as a girl, I've always been a girl and have always felt comfortable as one. Sure I've been curious about what it's like to be a guy, but I mean who hasn't been the slightest bit curious of the other gender.

That being said, I support those who feel they were born the wrong gender and identify as something that their genitals go against. I have a friend who's dad is a FtM transgender.

We were talking about it and my other friend completely couldn't wrap her head around the idea of not accepting what you were born with. And I just kinda sat there like "of course you can't. You haven't been in that position so you don't understand."

I've always been an androgynous genderqueer, both with appearance, and I'm hopefully going to physically transition to something far more androgynous soon.

That post was from a different time in my life, and I don't think that way at all where I am now. Sorry about being incredibly insensitive, I was simply spouting nonsense that I had been raised on by my parents, and I've made adjustments according to information that I have found on my own.

That post was written during a time of struggle for me regarding my gender identity

I wrote it to attempt to reinforce the values taught by my family, I was in denial. I've grown since then and come to accept my gender identity, and I'm ashamed that I wrote that post.

• Brohoof 2