Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Elder Scrolls or Fallout?

Sanic Screwdriver

Fallout or The Elder Scrolls?  

23 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer:

• Fallout
    • The Elder Scrolls

Well it's my turn to way in I guess the games are similar in many ways but different enough that someone could prefer one to the other setting not included but fallout's setting is a post apacolyptic and I think that's cool in a video game while elder scrolls is massive and bustling with life and mythical creatures. For me I guess it depends what mood I'm in to play but I'd choose elder scrolls more often than fallout I guess it's a shame I REALLY need to play other games in the series I've played oblivion and gotten kind of far but Jacky beat it and that's it XD maybe my opinion will change come fallout 4 (5?) :)

I agree on the fact that we need diversity but all i saw in Skyrim was snow, snow, stone, snow, fire, inns, caves, snow, rock, caves all over recycle that and you got the nation of Skyrim. With the exception of the occasional city or castle. I remeber old classical Baldur's Gate 2... aaah the memories... now the world of Faerun was HUUUUUUUUGE and going anywhere was litterally an option. You could encounter slums, dungeons, tombs, the underdark, astral planes e.t.c.... in comparison to the different places you could go there Skyrim and Fallout pale.

Now i realise this isn't the theme of the thread but i just want to point out something. Why Elder Scrolls and Fallout? Because they're both huge open-world games? Aren't there other sort of games like that? 

Well i guess if i had to choose i'd choose Elder Scrolls in a heartbeat... fantasy and magic settings always fascinated me more than post-apocalyptical un-explained settings. Like seriously the only reason for the world of Fallout being as it is can be explained with two words. Nuclear War. No backstory, no who started this, no nothing. Skyrim on the other hand has the backstory and lore to back everything up as a proper setting should. We learn about the fanctions, the people, the cults and races... EVERYTHING.

well I might have to check that game out ;) I put fallout and elder scrolls down is because they are similar in many aspects and are actually both developed by Bethesda :) hope I cleared that up if you didn't already know XD

I thoroughly enjoy both of them. If I have 8 hours to do whatever I'd rather play an Elder Scrolls, if I have like 2-4 hours it would be Fallout. Although I am more interested in a Fallout rather than Elder Scrolls at the moment.

I love both in many ways, but I prefer the elder scrolls. I'm not sure why, but I get far more into the medieval lore, and really feel like I can shape my character to be who I want him to be - there's no real set story. In fallout, there's a set story as well as side-quests, so I feel less like I can make my character who I want him to be, and the guns feel awkward. Regardless, both are very fun.

@, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 recently got re-worked into enhanced editions. However they are not so "Open World" like Elder Scrolls or Fallout. However the quests do lead you to extreme places. I have to admit the second series was the most awesome ever. It was released in 2000 and it was called best RPG at that time. It's expansion was also called best expansion for the year 2001 that i think it was released. Similar games consist of Icewind Dale which is also a very interesting game but with considerably more "fragging". However despite the more restricted free will of the player the story took you everywhere. From the dungeon of the evil arch-enemy that caught you, the bustling city of Athkatla, the Hills of Windspear, the Elven city of Suldanesselar, the Dark Elven city of Ust'Natha... to HELL. you also met tons of different creatures and stories. You could spend hours just reading the books that exist there, the descriptions of the weapons which all have a story of their own. But that's a story for another thread.

Back to the thread i really didn't like how you were constantly interrupted by the Vats system in Fallout when in Skyrim things were much more "realistic" for a fantasy/magic setting. I like it when things are given explanations... appropriate ones... unlike the Deus Ex Machina that was used in Fallout. Introducing a character at the last point was a mistake Mass Effect did. The result was much whinning...

Hard choice. They're both great, open world, fantasy...

Have to go with fallout though, I'm a major fan of it. I loved how they captured everything. Don't get me wrong ES is extremely good, but I like Fallout more.

Edited by Princess Luna~<3

I like the elder scrolls games more due to that Im more of a Fantasy guy than a Scifi guy.

But both games are amazing and I don't mind wasting my life away in either of them. lol

I'm the complete opposite of Twilight Sniper.

I feel like Sci-fi Rpg's are extremely lacking compared to medieval, which is why it's a big deal when a new fallout game comes out. Last I checked Fallout 4 was just a rumour. I think it's sad how little credibility is needed to make a big splash story in modern gaming journalism. Bethesda has not said anything about the game whatsoever.

Half Life 3 all of again..

• Brohoof 1

Why must you make me choose.

Fallout wins by a little bit, just because the quests mean something. As in the quests mean something, I mean the Tenpenny Tower quest. God.

Fallout by a fair margin, and while I do enjoy the Elder Scrolls games on occasion, Bethesda with Skyrim has seemingly removed much of the depth within the game that prior entries in the series had. After the initial experience, which I did really enjoy, much of the overall world just had a hollow feel to it, yet I can go back to F:NV or Morrowind and still frequently find interesting ways to go about the game.

Oh I forgot one thing that makes me choose fallout by a lot more than I thought.

The freakin MUSIC! I love the old time music and radio in fallout, I could wander the wastelands almost endlessly to the radio in fallout.

Now if they could capture a skyrim level environment with the quests and depth of story from fallout 3 with the wonderful colorful character range form new Vegas and smooth it all over with three dog as my DJ on my pimp boy 3 billion then we are talking about what would be my perfect game.

Oh I forgot one thing that makes me choose fallout by a lot more than I thought.

The freakin MUSIC! I love the old time music and radio in fallout, I could wander the wastelands almost endlessly to the radio in fallout.

Now if they could capture a skyrim level environment with the quests and depth of story from fallout 3 with the wonderful colorful character range form new Vegas and smooth it all over with three dog as my DJ on my pimp boy 3 billion then we are talking about what would be my perfect game.

on my first playthrough I actually didn't use the radio :0 I'm on the last mission again (decided to play through unarmed XD ) and I REALLY do enjoy the radio :) I just wish there were more songs XP

BOTH! I recently started playing Fallout 2 again, and reinstalled Morrowind. Both series are amazing. Loved Skyrim and LOVED New Vegas.

I need to reinstall New Vegas and make Eli from book of Eli.

I'm thinking he will Tag: Survival, Repair, small arms and build sneak on the side.

Use a shotgun and a pistol only, probaby the unique M1911 "A Light Shinning in Darkness." Such a great game.

You know though...I am skeptical on the Boston setting. We did D.C. wasteland and I always liked the west coast wasteland more. New Vegas really captured the feeling of wasteland.

Edited by Cstriker

• 1 year later...

(I searched for a thread like this, haven't found one. If there is one, sorry :P my bad!)

So I've recently become obsessed over Fallout and learned it was made by the same people who made The Elder Scrolls, Bethesda, but I was talking with my girlfriend yesterday, who also loves Fallout, and told her that I prefer Fallout over The Elder Scrolls, and she told me she prefers The Elder Scrolls over Fallout, and it sparked a question. Which is better? I prefer Fallout mainly due to the time period and the art style. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy in general, and most RPGs are fantasy, which really kills it for me. But a 1950s, post apocalyptic FPS RPG with explosives, modern day melee weapons, futuristic and old day weaponry? That's something I could play all day. Something about swords and magic and stuff like that just cannot stand up to something to the likes of launching full fledged mini nukes at your enemies and dismembering them with a blast of a shotgun. Anyways, which series do you prefer: Fallout or The Elder Scrolls? Which game from the series do you prefer?

Definitely the Fallout series.

Elder scrolls are a series I have always wanted to like but always end up falling flat.  For one, there is nothing to combat, enemies tend to just charge straight at you until you kill them.  Then there is the leveling system, and dear lord does this have problems.  The organic leveling of skills sounds good in theory but in practice it is just skill grinding, as the only way to level skills outside of training (which is limited) is just to use a skill over and over again.  There is no way to scale them through quest.  There is also no opportunity cost for leveling skills outside of wasting your personal time so in theory you character can be good at absolutely everything.  And pre Skyrim, that leveling system had to be gamed by specializing in skills you weren't going to use so you could precisely control when you level to gain the maximum amount of stat buffs.

The furthest I got in an ES game was Skyrim, but I ultimately quit when questing ceased to be of any value.  Thanks to the organic skill system, I actually maxed out my crafting skills just by using up all the random crafting loot I found.  At max skills, I was able to craft and enchant equipment that was superior to anything in the game, making monetary and loot rewards worthless (and again, at no real cost of any kind).  And because quest only gave monetary and loot rewards thanks to organic leveling, any character progression through quest was halted.  The best ways to level skills at that point was just to spam spells when standing in one spot.  This is a complete game design failure in my opinion.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas while operating on similar principles to ES fixes both of these problems.  Combat operates on a standard FPS model augmented by VATS, and while not as deep as the turn-based tactical combat of Fallout 1 and 2 is still a heck of a lot deeper than any of the ES games.  And the weird grindy organic leveling of ES is replaced with the straightforward and well designed SPECIAL stats, skill and perk system.  It is amazing how much better the Fallout series is due to these two changes.

Edited by Twilight Dirac