gaming Elder Scrolls or Fallout?

Sanic Screwdriver

Fallout or The Elder Scrolls?  

23 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer:

• Fallout
    • The Elder Scrolls

Fallout. All day long.

I'm not too big on the swords and magic stuff, myself. My entire skyrim experience can be described with me constantly saying, "Dammit, if I could just shoot this guy..."

Although swords and magic get a pass with the Zelda series, but that's a given.

Edited by Seaweed
  • Brohoof 2

I've only played a little bit of Fallout New Vegas, but I'm still gonna say Elder Scrolls, even if I am being a bit biased

Although I mainly say ES because I'm a big fan of fantasy and all that, and Elder Scrolls feels like I can be a part of a fantasy world.

'Cause I'm a massive dork.

Edited by Broseph

Fallout for sure :3
I still have my copies of Fallout 1 and 2.

And tactics :3

I've just always loved the world more..not to mention the old music <3333

• Brohoof 1

I prefer Elder Scrolls, but if Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 4 are the two options I'd probably lean more toward Fallout 4; ESO just doesn't really capture much of what I liked about the Elder Scrolls series, at least not from my time in the beta.

• Brohoof 1

Elderscrolls is an easy pick. Wondering the wasteland in Fallout just became so damn boring after a while. Everything looks the same and to me the series in general lacks creativity. Skyrim was pretty bad but Oblivion was amazing. I was so drawn into Cyrodiil. 

I can narrow it down to not liking desert / barren environments in games. Games like Oblivion, Far Cry 3 and Assassins Creed: Black Flag are all great because the environments are lush and diverse and you aren't wondering around looking at sand and rocks the whole time. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm honestly not a fan of either and believe that they are kind of a zit on the face of all things RPG. That is...the Bethesda ones. Haven't played much of the earlier games in either series so can't say much about those. I played about an hour of Daggerfall once and like thirty minutes of the first Fallout.

Luckily I can give the older Fallout games a real go since I got them off of GoG a couple weeks ago when they were free before GoG took them off the site. I suspect I'll like the older Fallout games.

When I first played Oblivion and Fallout 3 I played them for a good 18 hours straight for several days but I haven't been able to play either of those games, nor New Vegas or Skyrim, for longer than thirty minutes since that initial burst of interest. After the "OOOHH SHINY" feeling wore off cuz it was my first time playing games of those type I just couldn't bring myself to care as much about the games.

Obviously they aren't the only series' to be plagued by "everything's the same, why would I want to do this all over again?" feeling but in this case it's not a formula I like so playing the same thing over and over again is boring.

Edited by Discordian

I am a fan of both series but I think Fallout wins. They are really close in nearly every major category except I like the Elder Scrolls weapons more and Fallouts atmosphere crushes The Elder Scrolls atmosphere.

It's hard to give a blanket preference on these because both series have their ups and downs.

Morrowind > Fallout 2 > Fallout 1 >>>>> New Vegas >>>>>>> Oblivion mod with guns Fallout 3 >>> Oblivion >> Skyrim

Pinnacle of WRPGs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(this is the scale)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bethesda, what the fuck

I feel sorry for people who think Elder Scrolls means Skyrim and Fallout means 3 and NV (well, NV actually is pretty good). They are missing so much :(

*Daggerfall and Arena aren't here because I've never played them. FO Tactics isn't here because it's a spin-off. An awesome spin-off.

Edited by Evilshy

Elder Scrolls. Reason being that the world feels much more alive than Fallout. I know Fallout is supposed to be dead and depressing and I like it because of that, but I am more of a fan of games where the environments feel alive and active. I also like the Elder Scrolls because it is set in the period of medieval fantasy, pretty much. Swords and shields, bows and arrows, and magic are much more interesting to me than guns, though I do love the weapons in Fallout. :)

Wondering the wasteland in Fallout just became so damn boring after a while.

I agree on the fact that we need diversity but all i saw in Skyrim was snow, snow, stone, snow, fire, inns, caves, snow, rock, caves all over recycle that and you got the nation of Skyrim. With the exception of the occasional city or castle. I remeber old classical Baldur's Gate 2... aaah the memories... now the world of Faerun was HUUUUUUUUGE and going anywhere was litterally an option. You could encounter slums, dungeons, tombs, the underdark, astral planes e.t.c.... in comparison to the different places you could go there Skyrim and Fallout pale.

Now i realise this isn't the theme of the thread but i just want to point out something. Why Elder Scrolls and Fallout? Because they're both huge open-world games? Aren't there other sort of games like that? 

Well i guess if i had to choose i'd choose Elder Scrolls in a heartbeat... fantasy and magic settings always fascinated me more than post-apocalyptical un-explained settings. Like seriously the only reason for the world of Fallout being as it is can be explained with two words. Nuclear War. No backstory, no who started this, no nothing. Skyrim on the other hand has the backstory and lore to back everything up as a proper setting should. We learn about the fanctions, the people, the cults and races... EVERYTHING.

Edited by nioniosbbbb
  • Brohoof 1