S04:E13 - Simple Ways  

324 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

First Impressions: I actually really liked it. It avoided a lot of common tropes in the type of storyline it set up, had a good moral, and made all characters remain likable throughout. Oh and of course the humor was in full force this episode. I may do a separate thread called "Interpreting MLP: Simple Ways" in the future, but if I don't because of other priorities let it be known that I liked this episode.

On a side note this was my first time on the forums and in the chat of a livestream during the airing of an episode, and it was a fun experience that I wouldn't mind doing every week that it's possible to do so.  :)

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 1

I actually really liked it. It avoided a lot of common tropes in the type of storyline it set up, had a good moral, and made all characters remain likable throughout.

I agree this episode seemed to avoid most love triangle tropes and turned it into something a bit more differently. You gotta love Rarity's slow descent into mental instability when she went into the mud. That was kind of creepy but i liked it!

• Brohoof 1

I got the impression that the only point of the episode was to set up that one hilarious scene of Rarity pretending to be AJ and AJ pretending to be Rarity. And, I mean, it was really funny, but that was basically the climax of the episode and the plot immediately dropped off after it.

My reaction was "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT" at the ending. It just... stopped! Everything got wrapped up somehow, really quickly, for no reason at all! I know there's some episodes that could be said to have bad pacing, but this time I really felt it. I liked Rarity's comedy, I loved Applejack, I thought the episode was fantastic for Spike and wish he got some time in the ending for himself, but none of these combined into a cohesive whole.

It was fun, but frivolous. 

That being said, more about Spike! Kid showed a lot of maturity this episode, genuinely trying to help Rarity with somepony that she has a crush on. It didn't feel out of character, either, just good. We know he's had issues with jealousy and possessiveness in the past (OWL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL), and his character development is A+. Unlike Trenderhoof, he's really a good friend, too.

Spike is rapidly climbing up my favorites list and that certainly helped. Let's give it to Spike!

tumblr_lx51tsBdJd1qj2d2v.gif

• Brohoof 10

This episode was horrible in every aspects I can think of.

The whole synopsis was rubbish. Competition, new guy, love quadrilateral, reversal of character, everything.

Story telling was very rushed at the beginning, dragged too much at the middle and rushed again near the end.

It was stereotypically offensive.

The minor character, Apple Bloom, was not given a voice, where it would've been appropriate.

The faceoff between Applejack and Rarity was awful and boring to watch.

Writer having Rarity as a fangirl was too random and sudden.

And tons more.

I think this was most awful episode in Entire FIM.

EDIT:

OK, maybe I was hypercritical with this episode when I first watched it.

When I watched it again, it wasn't that bad. This episode did excel in portraying Applejack and Rarity's personalities.

Edited by SuperMarioKingdom

I'm going to be serious, since that episode, was, well, that episode, and I don't know how I feel about it.

It was ok.

I really didn't enjoy Rarity's behavior, of course, that's something that would be expected. A wave of relief swept over me at the end when she jumped in the mud and went right back to normal, but that's beside the point.

Being infatuated with someone is something that causes people to act out of the ordinary; that's not just the case with Rarity. It messes with your state of mind, and what we saw with Rarity in this episode is a perfect example; she grew obsessive, and even jealous of one of her closest friends, and it wasn't something I enjoyed watching.

And before people start in on Rarity's disposition towards AJ...

Did you see how many hurt expressions she wore throughout this episode? 

She was distraught; you could feel it radiating off of her, to the point of near insanity. Was that an excuse to be a bad friend? No. 

But you got to understand that she was very, very hurt and angry because of that fucktard, Trenderhoof, and misdirected her anger at someone who did nothing to deserve it, probably because of her still seemingly existent crush of that cornflake of a worst pony.

AJ handled it excellently, and I applaud her for that; Rarity learned her lesson in the end, so you can't hold her past actions against her unless you just want to hold a nasty grudge like that.

She was wrong, and if I'm not mistaken, she apologized.

So....my Skype's getting blown up right now :blink: Better go take care of that.

Simple Ways: 7/10

rarity___windy__n_pretty_by_quanno3-d5m0

• Brohoof 8

I feel like I had my hopes a little too high for this episode, nonetheless I still enjoyed it. Pinkies antics were absolutely hilarious, still relieving tension while killing my sides. I think Rarity just gave me hopes that I can be obsessed with somebody I've never met and still be fabulous. That's the moral of the episode, right?

Kidding, the moral was actually really good. A lot of people tend to forget that changing yourself to impress someone is never the answer, but instead you should move on. Spike looked like he was ready to pop a cap in Rarity's plot during that devastating crying scene by her completely sane shrine dedicated to a metrosexual stallion. Yes, he obviously doesn't understand what it's like to be obsessed with somepony who is obsessed with somepony else. Rarity, stop being stupid.

Twilight hit the nail on the head all the way back in the first episode

But one thing I have to say that I love about this episode is that the lesson at the end is very, very relevant to everyone these days. Obsession isn't love and changing your entire being and the reason for your existence to suit the other person isn't nice or sweet. It's downright creepy. I do have to give the writers a high five for that one. 

• Brohoof 3

The whole synopsis was rubbish. Competition, new guy, love quadrilateral, reversal of character, everything.

Story telling was very rushed at the beginning, dragged too much at the middle and rushed again near the end.

The minor character, Apple Bloom, was not given a voice, where it would've been appropriate.

And tons more.

nowhere near worst, Daring Don't is.

• Brohoof 3

While this episode wasn't as good as Rarity Takes Manehattan, it wasn't a bad episode. I did enjoy seeing Spike try and cheer Rarity up, he is so sweet and seeing him interact with Rarity just shows me how much he's my favorite character out of the mane 6, I enjoyed seeing Rarity dress like a country bumpkin just to impress Trenderhoof while Applejack dressed like a diva/model. Not my favorite Rarity episode, but overall decent episode. 9/10!

• Brohoof 2

And tons more.

Seriously? This episode was one of the best non-Pinkie episodes ever, in my opinion. (Every Pinkie episode is automatically at the top of my list but this was still awesome.) :) Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

This one was.... ok

On one hand there were some really funny moments like Spike's fourth wall joke and the unappreciated joke at Derpy but on the other hand there are some plot holes like how would Rarity have a crush on him for a long time especially since in season 1, she had a crush on blueblood. 

Also the fact that the ending was rushed.

Funniest episode ever, I have never laughed this much watching MLP, and this is the episode that did it. Applejack and Rarity have remarkable chemistry, Ashleigh Ball and Tabitha Saint Germain worked fantastically well together, the timing was perfect and the cause and effect was done splendidly, this was superior follow up to "Look before you sleep", it is pleasant to see Applejack and Rarity have become good friends of the course of three seasons. Trenderhoof is an okay character, and I knew people like that, who come from the city but want a simple life in the country, some can do it while others can't, farming or ranching is not for the faint of heart, it was quite nice to see him gush over Applejack, the visuals were done well, as Rarity tried to seek his attention, at the same time neglecting her duty to adorn the town for the Ponyville Days festival. Seeing Rarity in country attire had me dying from laughter, and to see Applejack playing Rarity at her own game was really damn funny, especially when Rarity tries farming chores, yes I have seen city folks do idiotic things while I was at the Wagner Ranch, I nearly passed out when Applejack and Rarity were comparing each other, I lost it when Rarity went crazy with lust, put on her best derp face and jumped into the mud bellowing "I love being covered in mud!" I think that has become my new favourite crazy Rarity moment. In the end Rarity came to her senses, and successfully put the festival together, the moral is good too, of being true to ourselves, and not repress our true colours to impress someone, and when you get down to it, we are true to ourselves and enjoyed this show with magical colourful ponies and became bronies, overall I loved this episode, I needed a good laugh and it delivered, writer Luke Farber is on a roll now, "Filli Vanilli" is next weekend, and see y'all later.

• Brohoof 2

Before I share my thoughts, I feel I should say something to the people whining about romance being in the show: IT'S. A. JOKE. It's not meant to be taken seriously, it's a plot device that shows how dangerous a crush can be if not checked, something a lot of kids go through. Trenderhoof was clearly being that guy (you know the one), Rarity was being that girl, and AJ was having none of it. As you clearly saw, this love triangle turned into a nightmare for our favorite farm mare, and caused nothing but confusion and delay for the festival. Besides, this is a staff's way of having fun with the fanbase, considering the amount of shipping and suggestive stuff most people do. Come on guys, cut 'em some slack. Also, need I remind you that this isn't the first time Rarity had a crush on a stallion? Does Blueblood from season 1 ring a bell to you guys? Deny the douchebag's existence all you want, but this has happened before and it can certainly happen again. GOD, people are so dense these days.

Anyway, the episode was alright, certainly a few steps down from the past couple eps. Really wasn't expecting much in the first place. Although Spike's 4th wall break was a killer. I'm honestly surprised how well the little guy took it through the whole thing. I was expecting him to have a major meltdown at some point. Secondly, I can imagine how beat Tabitha was after recording Rarity's country accent. Hoo BOY did she go all out. That's what you call talent. And I like how AJ got Rarity back to her senses; guess staying with the Oranges did something good after all.

Also, Dinky is best filly. Just sayin'.

• Brohoof 2

This one was.... ok

On one hand there were some really funny moments like Spike's fourth wall joke and the unappreciated joke at Derpy but on the other hand there are some plot holes like how would Rarity have a crush on him for a long time especially since in season 1, she had a crush on blueblood. 

Also the fact that the ending was rushed.

No, you've been seeing it this whole time.

I'm secretly Trenderhoof, she's always been crazy for me.

I just was hitting some hard drugs during that episode...

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, and can we give it up for the lack of Spike abuse in this episode? They didn't just use him as a comedic punching bag and he was Rarity's shoulder to cry on when she needed it the most. Spike, if gems weren't so expensive here, I'd give you a few. 

• Brohoof 3

... Better than Cutie Mark Confidential...?

... Okay, review time.

This episode was an okay episode.

For starters, Rarity having a crush... honestly didn't bother me. I was more than able to accept it because Rarity has been shown to have crushes on colts before. The issue, though, is that her crush on Trenderhoof felt more like a plot device than a legitimate crush she's harbored. I mean, how long am I supposed to assume that shrine has been there? And does she only love him for his looks? Did she learn nothing from The Best Night Ever?

Now, this episode's bigger problem: The conflict. Not only is this concept incredibly cliche, it was executed poorly. It made no attempt to give Trenderhoof a sense of respect or understanding for his position. What did he see in AJ? If he loves the farm so much, why is he a higher-class colt? How the hell can you look at Rarity without developing a crush on her? I'm sorry, I just can't overlook that one.

Past that, though, this episode felt rather confused in tone. On one hoof, the episode was funny and comical, focusing on jokes that upped the mood. On the other hoof, it felt mean-spirited and angry, with Rarity losing all of her dignity just because Trendy had a crush on AJ. I mean, yeah, crushes can change a person, but that's ridiculous. I mean, I have a severe crush on a girl I know, and you don't see me cursing out her boyfriend. Heck, I don't even know him very much, and I still like the guy. I would think she can think rationally for AJ. At the very least, not snap at her like she did.

And of course, the ending. More rushed than Flight to the Finish. And agree with me on my controversial opinions of some episodes or not, I think we can all agree that was a rushed ending. It just... ended, honestly. No reason for it to cut off so soon, it just... did. "The conflict is finally resolving and suddenlyeverythingworksouttheend."

Look, I don't hate this episode. Once again, it's just an okay episode.

I give it a 6/10.

• Brohoof 2

Wow, what a fun episode that was! :D While no mention of Hearts and Hooves was made, this does seem to be a secondary Valentine's episode with February 14 just a week from now. I tried to resist the urge to watch the sneak peek, but I finally gave in with about a day to go. It didn't really spoil the episode for me.

-We have long wondered if Rarity had any other stallions she likes since her encounter with Prince Blueblood turned into an epic fail. Now we know. :comeatus:

-Spike seems to have finally gotten over his crush on Rarity. But he surely hasn't forgotten about it.  :okiedokielokie:

-Being infatuated tends to make you do silly things. Rarity and Trenderhoof both proved this. :P

-OK, I guess overt Derpy cameos are a regular thing now.  :/

-I busted out laughing when Rarity changed her fashion show set to Hee Haw. Is anybody here old enough to remember Hee Haw?

-I love what Tabitha St. Germain did with Rarity's faux country accent. It sounded like a ridiculous blend of Hackney British and Deep South!

-The role reversal of Applejack and Rarity was the best part of this episode. AJ looked just like an all grown up version of her formerly glamorous Manehattanite self. ;)

-The moral of the story is simple too. Don't try changing yourself to make someone you like like you back. :)

But the most important thing I'm taking from Simple Ways is this. Applejack is my new schloopydoopkins. Eeyup! :wub::yay:  :wub:

Flutterwho? :blush:

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 4