Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how strong/powerful is discords magic?

~XCOLIDE~

He doesn't really seem to have a limit, or at least it hasn't shown one. I've never seen him so much as sweat while moving celestial bodies around the planet like marbles, or turning the majority of equestria into his own personal playground. Honestly, I think the only limit to his power is his imagination.

Edited by ~chaotic biscuit~
  • Brohoof 3

Discord's chaotic nature and powers don't have a limit, because he can make Equestria his own Chaos Capital of the World and his own playground to use for his own playful needs.

Apparently not enough to cure himself from illness.

Which leads me to a sudden theory I just thought up... What if Discord doesn't actually warp reality itself, but is instead warping other ponies' perceptions of reality? Like, nothing he does is actually happening in the physical world, and he's merely tricking those around him into seeing/feeling things that aren't actually there?

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 5

He's neither omnipotent, omniscient or invincible. He has the power to do almost anything but he doesn't seem to seem to be a know-all be-all spirit. He really underestimated Celestia and Luna. A real lack of foresight there. So he is very fallible and there are forces stronger than him, but give him an environment to work with and he will mess if up.

Edited by Jammo

I would say that he is as powerful as celestia and luna combined. alone they are practically nothing to him if he's twice as powerful and still doesn't have much to deal with even when together because he knows how to manipulate and distract. now for the princesses to end discord's reign they required the elements of harmony. for discord he just needed to throw some seeds that would grow and take care of them. this may bring up the question of why didn't discord just take their horns or anything else away in the first place. think of it like this. the princesses each have a pistol, and discord has a grenade launcher. by the time he takes down one princess the other will have fired upon him. Discord obviously knows there is a better way to go about this, so he lays down some land mines before they arrive. what he wasn't expecting was for them to suddenly roll up in a tank, aka, the elements of harmony, without a single mine going off.

• 6 months later...

He's a reality-warper. A type of villain that warps reality to certain levels. Discord is a low-tier reality warper, specially since his powers mean no harm for anyone.

Edited by Darker

This is interesting... If you think about it, I don't believe he's using much effort though. Should that be the case, that'd make his full potential equal to all alicorn magic, perhaps. 

And I also think that powered up Tirek would've lost if he didn't get the chance to swallow his powers up.  :umad:

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one who thinks discords powers are illusions and not real?

Why do you think that?

They are real, his powers affected the mane 6 in The Return of Harmony for example.

• Brohoof 2

He's a reality-warper. A type of villain that warps reality to certain levels. Discord is a low-tier reality warper, specially since his powers mean no harm for anyone.

Well, since this is ultimately a children's show, there's no way to know for sure, and there never will.

Closest he's come to that is enjoying the suffering that his new world brought on other ponies, and that's pretty evil given the source material.

This is interesting... If you think about it, I don't believe he's using much effort though. Should that be the case, that'd make his full potential equal to all alicorn magic, perhaps.

And I also think that powered up Tirek would've lost if he didn't get the chance to swallow his powers up. :umad:

Yup, he did incapacitate him once already with ease

Granted, it was his weaker form, but if Discord knew before hand, I'm pretty sure he could do it again.

Not with the SAME ease, of course.

But all Tirek can do is shoot laser, Discord can bend reality

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 1

Why do you think that?

They are real, his powers affected the mane 6 in The Return of Harmony for example.

I guess he's just playing mind tricks. Like the piece of Eden in assassins Creed

good question. Tirek didn't seem to get much of a boost from Discord's magic compared to Alicorn magic, and yet Discord's magic can warp reality itself, something Alicorn magic has not been shown to be capable of. (not yet anyway.) gee, this is a real melon-scratcher..... :blink:

Discord's powers, as statet above, is still not explained or explored enough that we can get a clear picture of his limits. And while he seems to only do tricks that's mostly harmless, this could very well be Discord himself not finding any amusemt in violence and death, and thus keeping his spells more at a troll level.

If we ignore the possibility of him simply playing illusions and mind-tricks, Discord seems to be the most magically powerful being we have yet seen in Equestria. Celestia states in the Season 4 opener that she and Luna cannot harm him without the Elements of Harmony. And Tirek too knew he was no match to Discord, she he instead tricked him and later backstabbed him.

And after all, we have seen Discord completely reverse a pony's personality with a touch, move both the sun and the moon as if it were nothing, create life (or at least manipulation objects to the point that they may seem alive), change density in an object, reverse gravity and create almost any object at will from nothingness.

However, while Discord probably could create a storm of swords or make it rain magma instead of chocolate, I don't think it is in his nature to do so, unless extremely angered. And if Discord is truly pissed, I dare not phantom what he would do...

• Brohoof 2

Discord's limits are entropy.

You! I like you.

:D

In general, I see him as more powerful than any individual Alicorn and likely several.

• Brohoof 2

He's neither omnipotent, omniscient or invincible. He has the power to do almost anything but he doesn't seem to seem to be a know-all be-all spirit. He really underestimated Celestia and Luna. A real lack of foresight there. So he is very fallible and there are forces stronger than him, but give him an environment to work with and he will mess if up.

Either he underestimated them, or deliberately put a risk of being defeated in the game the world is for him. I would go for the latter, because without some risk, it would be boring. 

Think about it.

When he escaped from his stone prison, he not only put the Elements somewhere where they could be got easily (Instead of, for example, putting the Element of Magic on the moon, Generosity in the Chrystal Empire which wouldn't reappear for some time, Kindness in the Everfree, Laughter on the other side of the 4th wall, etc.), but also outright told them where to find them.

He probably could harm people with his powers, but doesn't want to becasuse he know that you can't have fun with broken toys.

I'm surprised I haven't actually posted in here already. Hm.

Okay, well Discord's magic is pretty darn strong. Stronger than Celestia/Luna's combined even. 

Discord can literally "bend space" to whatever it is around him so it's a very powerful ability to have.

He probably could harm people with his powers, but doesn't want to becasuse he know that you can't have fun with broken toys.

Precisely! It's all just fun and games to him, I'd certainly say without a doubt that he'd be able to turn a squirrel into a giant flying wyvern if he really wanted to.

• Brohoof 2

Discord seeds were able to weaken the tree of harmony the ultimate power in the mlp universe even Tirek is not that powerfully

That actually is not a sign of power. Yes, he created the seeds, but this is alike to a brilliant but insane biologist who engineers a supervirus and drops it in a Tokio Subway. The Virus may be powerfull enough to kill tens of millions of people, but it isn't the scientist who kills all those people, just his creation.

• Brohoof 1

Not to the same levels as some other reality-warpers I mentioned before, Mr Mxyzpltk, can easily destroy entire multiverses with the snap of a finger, and Janemba, a being so powerful that even as a baby he could warp Heaven and Hell just by existing. Same with Dimentio, from the Paper Mario series, who bends an entire dimension for his own amusement and joy for destruction.

Discord transformed Equestria (or it was Ponyville?) into a world made of random things that don't make sense, his kind of world. However, here we show that while Discord toyed with some ponies, he would never kill anyone, not only because it was not his style, but because he just isn't made to kill, being a freindly children's show character.

Mxy on the other side was both goofy and incredibly violent, Janemba is and insane demon from the very violent DBZ and Dimentio is from the darkest Mario game series. But I should not compare Discord to this nearly-god monsters, because even at his own, his powers are pretty impressive.

Just not as most people think. Reality-warpers are ranked in different levels. Some can warp galaxies like Galactus or Ultron, or some even dimensions and entire universes, like Dr. Strange and Dormammu. Discord warped a COUNTRY.  And that is why I put him in the low-tier category.