Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Touch Type or Hunt and Peck?

camsterman101

Woohoo, poll time!  

25 users have voted

1. 1. How do you type?

• Touch type
    • Hunt and peck

I touch type, and assuming I'm using my mechanical keyboard, I can generally get 75 WPM, and on a good day 95 WPM.

I'd like to think that I know how to type. I generally don't look at the keyboard when I type, and I can type at a reasonable speed.

I do the occasional chicken pecking, but who doesn't?

Me.

I more or less do actual typing, thanks to typing lessons in middle school.  Fingers on my left hand covering a s d f, fingers on my right covering j k l ' , thumbs on the space bar.

I started out with hunt and peck and slowly taught myself how to type in a proper fashion. Not entirely sure how many words I can type per minute, but 'd consider myself to be an average typist. I'm even beginning to move on to not needing to look at the keyboard when I type anymore. I wrote about 90% of this post without needing to look down. 

I am used to typing a gratuitous amount of words on the computer at a time (partly because of large, lengthy college papers I did with little time to do them in).  My typing speed out of high school was about 90 WPM, but upon graduation, we had to an assessment on skill growth and I got 150 WPM. 

My husband says my fingers just whiz about on the keyboard, and seriously, it's only been a few seconds typing thus far. It's actually a problem because I often have to go back and reread what I wrote because sometimes I get the problem where the words in my head are going to slow for my fingers, and it can get quite discombobulating @.@ 

(edited)

They tried to teach it to me. For 4 years, they made me put my hands on the keyboard, and made me keep trying. But, I couldn't accurately hit what I couldn't see, so I kept failing. Eventually, I just gave up.

For the most part nowadays, I do nearly all my typing with my right index finger, with the pinky for shift. And apparently, I can type "scarily fast" like that. Certainly better than I could when my hands were in the way.  >_>

To put it in perspective, after 4 years of trying to be taught touch typing, my average was 15 WPM.

Edited by Yerserf

I didn't want to type properly. It it was too much strain on my hands. Didn't want to develop carpel 

I don't really know how to describe my method of typing; I don't use the home rows or anything, I just kind of hover my hands over the keyboard and know where everything is from memory. I learned the proper way to type back in high school, but it just wasn't very comfortable to me. Now, the only fingers I don't really use are my pinkies, everything else is typing away. It's worked out for me pretty well. 

Exactly the same here. I'm glad, too. I think I would have developed carpel otherwise. 

I know how to type. Not from school or anything. Well yes from school, just not from typing classes or something like that. From tying essay after essay after essay. After that you start to memorize where the keys are. But sometimes I still have to glance down at the keyboard