Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kodiak

Evenin' everypony.I was watching Sonic Rainboom just now and the thought of "best episode to show a new person" came across my mind. I felt a bit conflicted since the episode that got me hooked was part two of the season one pilot (gotta love Giggle at the Ghostie), but not every new pony has the attention span/open-mind to sit through an hour of exposition.So, what do you ponies think; what is the best episode to show a person that has never seen the show before?

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 2

There are a lot of things like this. They had a vote on EqD, and did 'scientific' research on Ponychan. A lot of people say there are 3 or 4 episodes that are the best for introducing the show. Honestly, I'd say the first 2 episodes. That's what got me and 4 of my brony friends hooked. It introduces the characters perfectly, leaves a cliffhanger, and at the end of the 2nd, there is a great feeling you get. I think most bronies began watching the show with these episodes, why change that?

Any other reasons?

Edited by Lyra

I would probabsly go with either Dragonshy, Sonic Rainboom , Birdle Gossip or Party of One.

Mainly because they're episodes that can best "prove" to your viewer that the show isn't all about flowers, rainbows and other traditionally girly stuff. They're some of the best episodes too.

I myself started with the pilot episodes, and enjoyed them. It's nice because it gives you the background for every character and they're basically the episodes that are intended to be watched first. But I must admit that they don't represent the show so well, and they're more like traditional kid's cartoons, which is why I think it would be safer to go with the episodes I mentionned first.

• Brohoof 1

It also might depend on whether you know how the internet works or not. If you know its ways, and kind of understand why it's so popular, it might not matter what episode you start with. But if you have no clue as to what types of things the people on the internet do, it may be best to start off on episode like: Dragonshy, Sonicrainboom or party of one. They are very appealing episodes with more mature themes.

I would have to say go with Episode 1 Season 1 for an introduction. It supplies the backstory of MLP which makes watching the later episodes much more interesting. It also was released before FiM became popular on the internet so it's a little more simple. And who would want to miss the introduction of each character?

That's where I started, I would recommend introducing someone with the beginning.

I'm surprised nopony brought up Lesson Zero. Thats a good one. It's hilarious, awesome, and just plain fun.

It's defintely one of the funniest episodes but for an introduction it might seem pretty random and could give someone the sense that the show is just goofy and not a serious show.

Fall Weather Friends was the episode I watched with my older brother who was super skeptical about the show being anything other than a heap of girliness. He seemed to enjoy it however, and even though he's not quite Brony status yet, he does like Rainbow Dash and Applejack a fair bit because to him, and I quote: "They're the two badass ponies."

'Tis true.

Edited by Sugar Cube

"Party of One." It shows the meaning to convey the notion of a lonely and psycho individual, in this case, Pinkie Pie (she is the "party of one"), is the individual. This episode, we see a an outgoing, energetic pony who loves sweets and often speaks and acts in comedic behavior and later loses her mind at the thought of losing her friends which spins her into a mental state, degrading her such to a point where she is not separating fantasy from reality.

Sad Pinkie Pie in her "depression" state.

post-378-0-32342500-1320206350_thumb.jpg

"Party of One." It shows the meaning to convey the notion of a lonely and psycho individual, in this case, Pinkie Pie (she is the "party of one"), is the individual. This episode, we see a an outgoing, energetic pony who loves sweets and often speaks and acts in comedic behavior and later loses her mind at the thought of losing her friends which spins her into a mental state, degrading her such to a point where she is not separating fantasy from reality.

Agreed. That episode shows that the show deal with no only social and physical issues, but psychological ones as well.

In my opinion i think it should be episodes 1-3. Episode 1 and 2 are of course the introduction, which is almost completely necessary to see if you want to understand how everything became as it is today. I also think you should see episode 3, The Ticket Master, so that new ponys will get a hunch about what is going to happen later in the series.

If it's a parent you're introducing it to I suggest going with Luna Eclipsed. The character's aren't as brightly colored and it's one of the few episodes that constantly has a male character throughout (excluding Spike). In my opinion it will look good if you are male (which most of you are).

Though it doesn't have Rarity :(

If it's a parent you're introducing it to I suggest going with Luna Eclipsed. The character's aren't as brightly colored and it's one of the few episodes that constantly has a male character throughout (excluding Spike). In my opinion it will look good if you are male (which most of you are).

Though it doesn't have Rarity :(

Huh, never really saw that one as being an intro episode. Thanks for the response :)

If it's a parent you're introducing it to I suggest going with Luna Eclipsed. The character's aren't as brightly colored and it's one of the few episodes that constantly has a male character throughout (excluding Spike). In my opinion it will look good if you are male (which most of you are). Though it doesn't have Rarity :(

Episode 4 would be considered an intro ep?

Man, you are all being silly. It depends on the person you're showing it too. Men would most likely prefer the ones with action and adventure while girly girls would generally prefer the Rarity ones. It all depends on the personality of the person who'll be watching it.

Personally, I watched Party of One first. I thought it was really good because the story was easy enough to follow and it had some really silly irony. Almost every episode has a moral (which is really really obvious) but episodes 1 and 2 don't tie in with the rest of the episodes as well as they probably should have. Party of One was a great first watch for me because it featured the mane six. Ticket Master would be a close second though for the same reasons.

• 1 month later...

Simple, what episode would you introduce a non-brony to the show with and why?

I would use Over the Barrel, because it has alot of good humor and starts off quick. Plus everypony loves Braeburn.

• Brohoof 1

I personally think a good episode for introducing a non-brony would be A Dog and Pony Show.

It's a great episode, and one of my favorites. The humor's done well, and I guess it's less "girly" than most episodes, which would make it more likely to appeal to a person opposed to watching a "girly cartoon". The episode makes a few references that are easy to spot, and the diamond dogs themselves are great characters. :unsure: It just might get a non-brony hooked, which is always a good thing.

• Brohoof 2