Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kodiak

Yeah, so I have this friend who isn't a brony, but who doesn't really care about me being one (which is a shocker considering pretty much all my non-brony friends give me constant hell about it) We've had a few conversations about the show and the fandom with him, and I've explained why I like the show so much, but he hadn't shown any interest in actually watching it.

Today we were chatting about random stuff during a car-ride, and our topic eventually shifted from music in general to brony-music. He admitted that some of the songs I'd shown him weren't actually half bad. So I jokingly asked him if he would come over to my place later to watch an episode. His answer made me choke on my soda. He said "Not today". After getting some air in my lungs I asked if he would actually agree to come over some other day to watch MLP, and he said "Okay"(!)

So, I of-course started immediately planning when that could be and most importantly WHICH OF THE 65 EPISODES TO SHOW HIM?? And so, I need suggestions.

A bit about this friend of mine. He's 19 like me. He likes sports, music and video games (mostly sports and  driving games though) He's not a big fan of cutesy-fluffy-magic-fantasy stuff like me, so the episode that hits home for him will most likely not be the same one as my favourite. He's pretty open minded though, and I think he knows what he's getting into XD so if you have any suggestions for me, I'd appreciate it a whole lot.

I already thought of a few episodes that might be good for him. I was thinking either Sonic Rainboom or Wonderbolt Academy. Lesson Zero is of-course too on the list just because it's the one everyone tells to show first.

Basically, I have ONE EPISODE to show him that MLP might be something he could enjoy. That one episode needs to be something to make him agree to watch more, and then more, and then some more laugh.png

Thanks in advance! wub.png

Lesson Zero is a good idea because it really throws a wrench into all the cutesy stuff. Just... skip the intro. He might find the ending a bit cheesy, but overall it's really a not fluffy sort of episode.

Sonic Rainboom might give him the wrong idea about Rarity. Wonderbolt Academy is a no-no in my book because it relies on knowledge of Rainbow Dash's character to work well.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, starting with the first episode is generally how you want to go about things, but I think episodes like Party of One and Lesson Zero are great ones to introduce people to the series. They are, in my humble opinion, the funniest episodes in the series, and I seriously can't find anything that would qualify as un-enjoyable in these two episodes. Plus, I've seen people become bronies just by watching these episodes, so, they must have some form of sorcery embedded in the dialogue laugh.png  

Edited by Keiichi
  • Brohoof 1

i would recommend the first & second episodes or the sonic rainboom episode or the canterlot wedding episodes . i chose the fist two episodes because right of the bat they go into a fight with night mare moon and in the sonic rainboom RD is trying to recreate a sonic rainboom to impress her favorite team the wonderbolts and so that she can win the young flyers competition. i chose the canterlot wedding epesodes because the mane six have to fight the flank off the changelings. 

good luck my friendwink.png

I've always liked "Feeling Pinkie Keen" as a great starter episode. And "Winter Wrap Up" or "Party of One" are great alternatives. I actually showed one of my family members ep. 15 and the next I'll show is likely one of those others I mentioned. I think they are good enough to make new fans out of people.

Well if you want him to tolerate it then watch the ether the Season 2 premiere and tell him that the main villain Discord is the same guy that plays Q from Star trek that is if you know what I'm talking about. But the other that comes to mind is either The mysterious Mare Do Well ,Ticket Master, Too many Pinkie Pies, or Sleepless in Ponyville. Just my opinion of course none of them were what your friends dislikes.    

@,

Hello there. There have been several people in the past who have been in similar situations, and because of this, a topic was created to discuss the best episodes to introduce the show to people who have never seen it before. Your thread has been merged with that one, as they are discussing the same thing.

I always tend to recommend Lesson Zero because of how it can dispel a lot of misconceptions about the show right off the bat.

(edited)

I got my friend to watch one episode it was "read it and weep"!

I thought it was a good idea to show him my first episode but he said it was boring and predictable...

I have to admit that I didn't really love it the first time I saw it, but I thought it was quite nice, watched a few mor and fell in love with the show...

Now I have the problem that I won't get him to watch another episode, so I pretty much missed the opportunity sad.png

Edited by RollingPony

• 1 month later...

So I've been a brony for about half a year, and I have a friend that knows about the show and the fandom.  He claims he has watched two episodes and refuted the community, but I want to show him one more episode in order to (hopefully) spark his interest.  If I could get a couple of suggestions on what episodes to show him, I would be very grateful.  Thanks!

season 2, episode 3, Lesson Zero, hoofs down one of the best episodes made. Well I think so anyway but noting better then seeing twilight losing her mind omg! lol I roll on the floor every time I see it! or Nightmare night that's a good one too! well only cause its about Luna and its funny...

• Brohoof 2

I think it all depends on the person's tastes. I've seen many varying opinions about episodes but I think that most seem to suggest A Canterlot Wedding in this situation...

However I prefer Putting Your Hoof Down and Super Cider Squeezy 6000.

• Brohoof 2

I think you should show him Canterlot Wedding. I doubt he doesn't like the show though, he's probably denying the fact that he likes it and pushing it away.

• Brohoof 2

I think that showing A Canterlot Wedding or Lesson Zero might help. I'm not really sue, since I never showed any of my friends any episodes. So, try those episodes. :P

• Brohoof 2

Hm... it depends on his tastes. You could pick an episode with a character or premise that he would most likely enjoy. Lesson Zero is one of the funniest episodes. A Canterlot Wedding and The Crystal Empire are both very exciting. Fall Weather Friends or Sonic Rainboom are good to dispel stereotypes about the show. It just depends on what he likes and doesn't like. 

• Brohoof 5

What about the daring do episode? or maybe Baby Cakes? I think there good starters. There easy going and not like a big epic thing that's too over whelming prehaps :)

Which eps do you think your mother would like?

I had my parents watch it the other day, and they didn't really like it. I'd let my parents watch Canterlot Wedding or any of the two-episode specials. Also, tell her that you learn about friendship at the end. Parents love having their kids learn things.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Lesson Zero.

Best episode in my opinion, also quite funny.

Actually, i'm going to make my mom watch it too.

Since she caught me watching MLP red-handed a few months ago

Edited by KToadstool

@@Cyangust,

Hi there. We already happened to have a general thread for sharing which episodes we think would do the best job introducing the show to people who haven't seen it before and as this was the subject of your thread. it has been merged with the older one. Hope you can get some good recommendations :)

Make him watch, Party of One and Lesson Zero. The two most funny episodes,then you should slowly ease your friend into the cuter episodes like Hurricane Fluttershy.

That's  what I did for my friend anyway.

The best episode to introduce the show would probably be Lesson Zero or the first episode if your going to show them the beginning of the show.

If not the first two episodes, I always like to start newcomers to the show off with Bridle Gossip, Over a Barrel, Dragonshy, and Look Before You Sleep.