Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kodiak

just a thought, but why don't you try showing them parts of the fandom? try putting on some decent music or maybe a good but slightly darker story form FiMfiction. just general stuff that shows them that even if the show is a bit girly (I know, I know, it's not that bad) the fandom is pretty grounded. oh, and congratulations. this is my first ever post. moving on...

edit: Actually, ponies: the anthology might be a good start...

Edited by one_fish_two_fish
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has some great episodes. Some of them are funny, others have action. But if you could pick one episode to show to a non-brony in order to get them to like the show, which one would it be? Would you show them the first episode? Or would you pick an episode that you think they would like based on their interests. Whatever it may be, post your answers below and give your reasons.

Note: Some episodes contain things a Brony would enjoy, but not a person who is not familiar with the. characters. Keep this in mind when choosing an episode.

Edited by Blue_Moon

I actually think showing someone one of the more controversial episodes like Feeling Pinkie Keen, Mare Do Well,  Lesson Zero, or Games Ponies Play; those seem to have a lot of things that would appeal to non-bronies

Though personally I'd use Last Round Up or Read It and Weep, since I used those episodes to get some friends into the show

I might go with something like either Return of Harmony or Lesson Zero.  The prevailing notion of the world of MLP to non-Bronies is that it's all saccharine sweet and nicey-nice with no real conflict.  These two (well, three) episodes do a great job of dispelling that notion while generally keeping the spirit of the show on the whole.  Discord is a real villain with a real threat, and an episode like Lesson Zero shows that the main characters aren't perfect- they can even go completely nuts. 

Though in retrospect I'm not sure that Lesson Zero would be the best episode to present- you need to have a baseline understanding of Twilight Sparkle as a character for its effect to really work.  The reason why the episode was effective as it was was because people already related to Twilight, *then* made her crazy. 

So.. Return of Harmony first, then Lesson Zero. 

Here are the two I'm thinking

Return of Harmony

These two partner episodes where a great way to start the season. It also shows that the show isn't all cheerfully singing ponies. No. There are situations that are serious. Also those who are Star Trek fans will get a kick out of Discord

Party of One

This is my favorite episode of season 1. It shows that there is more to pinkie pie the we take for granted up to this point in the series. Also it doesn't have a lot of girly elements in this episode. Plus when they see crazy pinkie pie they will know that this show isn't all sweet and girly.

• Brohoof 1

Either "Return of Harmony" or "A Canterlot Wedding". The former mostly because of John de Lancie being Q and all. The latter because that was the  first episode I watched where I absolutely loved it. I think i watched it a couple of times withen the week.

Actually, my friend (who is an anti-brony) said that he wanted to know why MLP was such a big deal and why everyone loved it so much. So my other friend (who is a brony) looked at each other and tried to think of an episode for him to watch, he said that he didn't like the songs on the show because they were too girly for him so we thought for a while since we couldn't think of an episode without singing xD

About 5 minutes later we realized at least one episode without singing and thought it would be a matching episode for him to watch, Hurricane Fluttershy was the one we picked and we all watched together during class. After the episode finished he said that the show was alright and thought that it was just the beginning of him being a brony which was really surprising since he's really skeptical when it comes to shows and movies and really criticizes a lot of things.

We thought he would become a brony but in the end he's still just another anti-brony who doesn't like the show xP We're still great friends but I just don't mention MLP in front of him unless I want to annoy him and have a laugh xD

I'd probably show them Applebuck Season. I know a lot of Bronies have told me that's a classic one to get people hooked, at least from what I've heard.

And I think they're right. Cause I honestly didn't think much of the first two episodes, but Applebuck Season got me hooked and I couldn't wait to find free time after that to keep watching the show. Really, I credit that episode with me becoming a Brony about a year ago.

So yeah, Applebuck Season for sure.

Snip

I have merged your thread with an already existing one serving the same purpose. I have also changed the title of the thread to a more general topic for discussion.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious about others' opinions on this. What do you think is the best episode to introduce someone to the show?

Personally I think "Lesson Zero" would be a good one. 

Thoughts?

Lesson Zero's a good one. Any of the two-parters, especially the season 2 ones would work too. I really liked Over a Barrel even though it was ridiculous. Party of One, or pretty much any mental breakdown episode are good choices as well. 

The first two episodes. So many of us got into the show just by watching it from the beginning. I did, my brother did when I showed it to him. New watchers will expect the show to be unbelievably dumb and not worth watching, so they'll be impressed by things like a kid's show using high-school level vocab, plus cute animation and realisation that it's not entirely girlish. They can also having watched the first one watch the next ones in order straight away, which is definitely a motivation to get into it.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't recommend any specific episode. By telling someone "don't watch the first episode, watch (insert episode title here) instead"
you're giving them a bad impression. Not only does the first episode of any series have a lot of value, but if you actually have to put thought into what episodes you want them to see, you'll make them think that only a few are even good. Instead of telling them what episodes to watch, let them watch in whatever order they want and decide for themselves. 

If someone were to tell me to not watch the first episode, I would have never given the show a chance. The fact that they have to think about how to impress me makes it seem less impressive. 

• Brohoof 1

The first two episodes of the series are what hooked me. The problem some people will have with it would be the singing I'd expect. I for one groaned when Pinkie began to sing. I stuck through with it though and ended up watching the whole first season within three days. The day after I watched the first two episodes I realised I was singing "Giggle at the Ghosties" under my breath and came to the conclusion that the music was actually GOOD and enhanced rather than detracted from the show. Basically what I'm saying is just start from the beginning.

I started with the begginging episodes and found them at times a bit girly, but I think thats the best place to start overall so you don't loose out on continuity ect.

I know "Bridle Gossip" is one that is widely shown to people, and personally I have also shown people "find a pet" because of the great song.

I have also showed people the opening of "A Sonic Rainboom" which everyone in the room loved :D and allowed them to understand why I liked the show :).

I'd say Sonic Rainbow, and yeah, the first two episodes. I mean, the first two were written by Faust, and they are kind of dark and adventure-y, not slice of life like most episodes. I'd also say The Return of Harmony Parts 1 and 2, since Discord is a pretty fun villain, and you have the 'he was on Star Trek' thing going for you. Winter Wrap Up is excellent as well, and Griffon the Brush-Off has Gilda, the one of only a couple times we see a Griffon at all. MMMystery on the Friendship Express might draw some people in, and it has pop culture references.

I would'nt have become a brony if I had watched the first two episodes. They weren'ta ll that exciting to me. What I saw first was 'At the Gala'.

Winter Wrap up episode would be a good second choice. Any episode that has a nice catchy song in it. They'll be sure to start humming subconssciously... heh heh. Phase 1 of Brony conversion: Subconsious conversion. *evil grin*

Edited by Spiny Blue Shell

Well, episode one, because I think it was a solid episode that introduced the characters well, and episode two is even better.

Other than that, Winter Wrap Up.  It's a very normal type episode and also very high quality.

I think the season 2 premire or finale would be good, but you'd have to explain the elements of harmony. But Canterlot Wedding definetly got me hooked on the show, it's just not a good starting place...

If you think he's the type to stick with it, definitely try to just go in chronological order. You only get to watch something for the first time once, and I'd be sad if I didn't get to watch ponies in the right order the first time. And if you start him out with one of the best episodes, doesn't that sort of leave him with higher expectations for every episode? By starting him in the beginning, the quality can slowly rise with his expectations.

That, or Lesson Zero.