Is happiness the only good feeling?

Blaze Bronson

I seem to be the only one who likes being angry.

When people think of what's good they think of happiness, laughter and smiles. These are of course great things and feelings.

However, if I get angry and punch the wall, shout or other angry emotions, people tell me to calm down and stop whatever I'm doing. Because it's not good for me.

But is happiness the only good feeling? Is it the ultimate state to be in?

I LOVE being angry, unleashing my wrath on objects around me, throwing off some steam  :lol:

There is however a big difference between feeling anger, and feeling HATE. Both of which makes you want to punch stuff.

But hate is a negative feeling, while anger is a positive feeling in my eyes.

Just like being sad. I love being sad! it is a beautiful emotion.

People watch sad movies and cry. So why do they? Tragedies don't make you happy. That's not what you are seeking, you are seeking sadness.

Because it's a beautiful emotion. It's good.

Just like the feeling of anger. I like it   :)

What do you think? Do you try to calm angry people? Or do you try to calm HATEFUL people? Do you like being angry? Other emotions that's underrated?  ;)

There is no really such thing as "the only 'good' feeling". You should always judge feelings and moods by their purpose and nature. Sometimes anger can help people understand better. Crying and being sad is not a good thing in itself, but it helps others understand how you feel, and also lets them know that "aha, NOW you're sad". Things like that.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really like to be angry or sad. While I admit I had moments in which I accepted the anger gladly, I wouldn't want anger or sadness to be something like a permanent state. You can channel your strong feeling and use them to achieve something. These feelings can be both positive or negative. Positive feelings will always lead to the right results, I believe. And the negative - you know that vengeance never leads to anything good.

I hate being sad, because... well because I don't feel good then. When I'm sad I start thinking of some of the things I'm not happy with in my life and who would want that. Self loathing is the worst possible action in such moments - but this is another topic.

But reading what you say - I don't believe you actually like to be angry, it sounds more like you just have a fighting spirit and lots of energy you need to channel into something. :yay:

And there's something else - there are the anger, sadness, happiness, fear and other feelings you feel when you watch a good movie or play a good computer game, or read a good book. Those feelings, that aren't really mine, I adore them! Because this way I feel part of the story.

But if I could choose I would gladly be happy, happy, happy, happy all day long! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

There is no really such thing as "the only 'good' feeling". You should always judge feelings and moods by their purpose and nature. Sometimes anger can help people understand better. Crying and being sad is not a good thing in itself, but it helps others understand how you feel, and also lets them know that "aha, NOW you're sad". Things like that.

I love sad songs, and sad movies. Crying and embracing the feeling by myself. I'm not doing it to show others. Yet that might also happen in other settings.

I like being sad just as much as I enjoy being happy and laughing.

But I guess you could differentiate sadness and sorrowfulness, just as you could differentiate feeling angry and feeling hate.

One is positive and the other negative.

I don't really like to be angry or sad. While I admit I had moments in which I accepted the anger gladly, I wouldn't want anger or sadness to be something like a permanent state. You can channel your strong feeling and use them to achieve something. These feelings can be both positive or negative. Positive feelings will always lead to the right results, I believe. And the negative - you know that vengeance never leads to anything good.

I hate being sad, because... well because I don't feel good then. When I'm sad I start thinking of some of the things I'm not happy with in my life and who would want that. Self loathing is the worst possible action in such moments - but this is another topic.

But reading what you say - I don't believe you actually like to be angry, it sounds more like you just have a fighting spirit and lots of energy you need to channel into something. :yay:

And there's something else - there are the anger, sadness, happiness, fear and other feelings you feel when you watch a good movie or play a good computer game, or read a good book. Those feelings, that aren't really mine, I adore them! Because this way I feel part of the story.

But if I could choose I would gladly be happy, happy, happy, happy all day long! :lol:

You do make a fair point. That I channel my feeling towards a result, and it's the result I like not the feeling itself.

So a prolonged state of sadness or feeling angry will be negative.

The relief of such feelings gives me a extra peek of happiness? Maybe ;)

In my opinion, whether or not an emotion is good is not based solely on the emotion itself, but on the context, meaning, origination and overall purpose of the emotion. For example, both happiness and anger could be either positive or negative.

Happiness can be selfish and even malicious if one is happy at the expense of someone else, or at someone else's misfortune. Anger can be a positive, driving force if directly appropriately and controlled. However, when it takes this form I usually think of it as determination. 

Any emotion can be destructive if it is directed inappropriately. I do believe in focusing on positive emotions, but positive emotions are not necessarily limited to happiness.

• Brohoof 3

When people think of what's good they think of happiness, laughter and smiles. These are of course great things and feelings.

However, if I get angry and punch the wall, shout or other angry emotions, people tell me to calm down and stop whatever I'm doing. Because it's not good for me.

But is happiness the only good feeling? Is it the ultimate state to be in?

I LOVE being angry, unleashing my wrath on objects around me, throwing off some steam  :lol:

There is however a big difference between feeling anger, and feeling HATE. Both of which makes you want to punch stuff.

But hate is a negative feeling, while anger is a positive feeling in my eyes.

Just like being sad. I love being sad! it is a beautiful emotion.

People watch sad movies and cry. So why do they? Tragedies don't make you happy. That's not what you are seeking, you are seeking sadness.

Because it's a beautiful emotion. It's good.

Just like the feeling of anger. I like it   :)

What do you think? Do you try to calm angry people? Or do you try to calm HATEFUL people? Do you like being angry? Other emotions that's underrated?  ;)

Anger tends to be linked to negative emotions or an overreaction. If you really are angry, try to control it so that it doesn't show when other people who really care are around.

And, to answer your question, I feel that the only two truly 'negative' feelings are lust and despair. Other than that, emotions all help you change your character.

I don't think that happiness is the only good feeling, if the emotions can channel any meaning that connect on how you portray or interpret your feelings then you can see for yourself if it is the only good feeling that you have. Controlling your anger could be something to work on.

In my opinion, whether or not an emotion is good is not based solely on the emotion itself, but on the context, meaning, origination and overall purpose of the emotion. For example, both happiness and anger could be either positive or negative.

Happiness can be selfish and even malicious if one is happy at the expense of someone else, or at someone else's misfortune. Anger can be a positive, driving force if directly appropriately and controlled. However, when it takes this form I usually think of it as determination. 

Any emotion can be destructive if it is directed inappropriately. I do believe in focusing on positive emotions, but positive emotions are not necessarily limited to happiness.

That's what I said! :o

Well, almost. :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna be honest with you......being angry will only lower your chances of seeking friendship.  I know b/c I've been around angry individuals and to be friends with them will only make matters bad.  Now with me, happiness in terms of smiling and laughs is the only thing that gets me through the day, as well as thinking positive.  Anger brings out the negativity.

*looks around*

I could've swore i had a quite by Yoda describing Anger.

Perhaps this would assist you along with those who are angry:

If you just smile.....your anger will disappear.

• 2 years later...

Love, anger, a good cry. These are all good emotions that can be cathartic. It's healthy to have these emotions and necessary to one degree or another. Some derivatives to sadness, like self-pity for example, aren't so good though because they can be a trap that makes us relive painful moments over and over. 

Anger is okay if it's controlled and doesn't cause misery for someone else. 

Love is it's own minefield of good and bad, depending on how you look at it. 

I guess ultimately it's all in how we use the emotions we have. Anything can be turned into something useful, even the negatives. 

• Brohoof 1

Nah, the feelings fear, anger and sadness are all thrilling depending on the situation. I could get so frustrated at PAC-MAN that I'm yelling at the top of my lungs all the time and my throat hurts the next morning, but I think that the game of PAC-MAN was a lot of fun. I could read My Little Dashie and think "That was nice." I could go on a scary roller coaster and think "That was fun." Negative feelings aren't all that bad.

• 2 years later...

Sometimes negative feelings like anger and regret can be energizing, and can push us to make changes in our lives that ultimately lead to clearer skies ahead. But that's not to say that there aren't plenty of emotions that closely tie in to happiness.

• 4 months later...

There are lots of emotions that bring people a sense of fulfillment, but that doesn't necessarily make them good emotions. Some people get a charge using aggression against other people, or belittling others to give their own ego a boost. Emotions should be positive, or at least turned into something positive if they can really be called good. But as long as they don't hurt anyone else, even seemingly negative emotions can have uses in unexpected ways.